3. Voyager Academy 23-2 - 69
4. Starmount 15-1 - 63
5. Cherokee 19-1 - 45
6. Weldon 17-2 - 44
7. Winston-Salem Prep 13-6 - 42
8. Alleghany 15-2 - 29
9. East Montgomery 15-2 - 13
10. Hayesville 16-5 - 11

Honorable Mention: Camden County (16-2) - 4; Mount Airy (14-5) - 2; Avery County (11-8) - 2;

1A WOMEN'S

1. Winston-Salem Prep (7) 16-2 - 88
2. Hiwassee Dam (2) 21-1 - 81
3. Pamlico 16-2 - 61
4. West Montgomery 15-0 - 57
5. Cherokee 18-1 -55
5. Gates County 16-1 - 55
7. Mount Airy 17-3 - 32
8. Atkins 13-4 - 25
9. East Columbus 13-2
10. Hayesville 15-6 - 7

Honorable Mention: Rosewood (14-3) - 4; Lakewood (14-2) - 4; Roxboro Community (19-3) - 3; Riverside-Martin (16-5) - 3; Gray Stone Day (15-3) - 1;

Has anyone saw voyager play. They seem to fall into that part of the state that people from the East or people from the West don't seem to know anything about them

NCPreps.com's Patrick O'Brien has watched this team in action. I will get him to tell you about them.
This post was edited on 2/3 3:14 PM by Deana_King

Voyager

As Deana said, I did see them not to long ago.

As a team, they seem pretty solid and I know their win over Ravenscroft and their rivals Roxboro were big games, all that they won.

They have solid pieces with their senior guard/forward Chase Sause, who can shoot the ball and score in several ways.

They also have 2016 Jay Huff, who is a lengthy, thin guy (reminds me a lot of Ryan Kelly when he was in high school.. skinny with length but stretches the floor with his ability to shoot the long ball, while attacking the rim) and provides that size down low.

There point guard Chance Greene is also a key part to the team, has he always has his eyes up and looking to get his teammates involved but can also shoot lights out (when I watched them against Ravenscroft, he was unstoppable from behind the arc).

This is a team that not many talk about but have the pieces to make a strong run. It was important to show what they could do against a good Ravenscroft team, which they did.

They are a balanced team and seem to work well with each other, knowing who is on and who isn't that night. They are a deep team that can provide minutes.

I liked them when I saw them and they have the offense to put up points, much like they have for most of the season.

They certainly could be a team to watch and make a deep run but I know not to many people know much about them.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

Has anyone saw voyager play. They seem to fall into that part of the state that people from the East or people from the West don't seem to know anything about them
I've only seen a few YouTube clips, which I believe were posted by Patrick Obrien. One is highlights of a pretty skilled big kid who is about a head taller than most 1A centers, but looks like he'd be invisible if he turned sideways. Maybe 6-9 170? The other is highlights of a forward who looks to be 6-4 or so with a good inside-out game. I've linked the second one, and there's some of the taller kid in that video as well.

As a team, their conference is pretty terrible. But they have some solid out of conference wins, especially over a good NCISAA 3A Ravenscroft team.

Voyager YouTube

I have seen voyager they are good and have a nationally ranked player in junior 6'10 Jay Huff. Chris Sauce is also a big time player as a senior they have a easy road the rest of the way but they will be a force come playoffs. I think they lack the depth to make a run at the title though.

Looks like they may have trouble with a fast physical team; a team like Albemarle comes to mind. They look slow in the video.

Observer, that is Jay Huff, the one that is 6-9, 6-10 170... he is working on getting his weight up but like I said, he reminds me so much of Ryan Kelly in high school

Thin throughout high school , but if he the college program, could definitely bulk up.

Chris Sause is the senior guard with the link. He is about a 6-4, 6-5 guard/ forward that does a little bit of everything.

I could see if a fast quick team went up against them, they could have trouble. Ravenscroft did that several times and caused them to turn the ball over to get easy transition points. But they also played a half court game that helped Voyager.

They will be a team to watch in the playoffs though.

It's hard to compare since I've only watched the 2 highlight videos of voyager, and all I've seen of E. Carteret was watching last year's finals on TV. With that qualification, I'll still pick East Carteret as the favorite to come out of the east. Mariners have the same great guards as last year, and good, experienced guard play is more valuable than size in the playoffs, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT