ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps.com 4A Top 10 Poll - Week 7

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Here are the latest rankings in the NCPreps.com Top 10 Polls for Week 7.

4A
1. Wake Forest (6-0)
2. Mallard Creek (5-0)
3. Scotland County (3-1)
4. West Forsyth (5-0)
5. Heritage (6-0)
6. Myers Park (5-0)
7. Hoggard (5-0)
8. Butler (3-1)
9. Hickory Ridge (5-0)
10. Glenn (5-0)

So....somebody help me out here. Butler has one loss to MC by a bunch wins over Providence, Richmond and Rocky River and is ranked 8th.

Scotland has a TD loss to MC and beat West Meck by 13 and is the 3rd ranked team in 4a

Harding has beaten Hough, Gaffney and beat West Meck by 24. Have one loss to MC and still cant get ranked.

Hickory Ridge has played only one 4a program and got a 2 score win over what may be one of the worst 4a programs in the state and are ranked 9th??

Harding would drag Hickory Ridge up and down the field until they begged for them to stop.

Love too. Thanks for asking-

1- Wake ( #1 until beaten)
2- MC ( unbeaten with toughest schedule)
3- Scotland( Hillside, West Meck quality wins)
4- West Forsyth ( Have only seen at scrimmage, sort of a guess)
5- Heritage ( Have crushed everyone. Could make an arguement as high as #3)
6- Hoggard ( Orange win better than any Myer's PArk win to date)
7- Harding- ( Beat last week's 9th ranked team by 24 pts. Only loss to MC)
8- Butler ( virtual tie with MP. Both played Providence to tight wins)
9- Myer's Park ( Only behind Butler ecause they havent beat them in forever)
10- Glenn- ( Tabor win better than any Hickory Ridge or North Meck win)

Page moves in with a win over EF this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPC4LIFE
and who out, Butler
they really didn't look the Butler of old
verse Richmond IMO

Yes- I think it is becoming increasingly hard to look at them as a top 10 team. They play MP the following week so for me its winner in and loser out. I do think when its Butler they deserve the benefit of the doubt over MP, Glenn and certainly Hickory Ridge until proven otherwise.

My only real gripe is Hickpry Ridge. Have never proven anything in 4a. Have played only one 4a school so far and it was a terrible Indy team and only won by 2 scores. If they are a top 10 team they win that game by minimum 28 pts

and who out, Butler
they really didn't look the Butler of old
verse Richmond IMO
My personal opinion is that Butler is not a top 10 team at the moment, but the problem isn't taking them out of the rankings, it's who replaces them?

If your choice is between Butler and some no-name program who's never won anything, played anyone nor beaten anyone...then it doesn't make sense to demote a proven commodity in favor of some team that hasn't earned it, especially considering that Butler is still winning and is still beating some good teams along the way. In 4A ball at the moment...that eliminates most of the field now that the division is so watered down.

If you want to take Butler out and replace them Page, then sure, that makes perfect sense to me. But to have Hickory Ridge in the top 10...really? Why? What have they EVER done in the history of their program to warrant any kind of afterthought ranking at all, much less a top 10 ranking? They didn't play a single 4A opponent OOC this year...not one...much less a Mallard Creek or a Richmond.

I'm a firm believer that teams that "schedule for success" and play WAY down in competition should not be rewarded with artificial rankings. If I'm not mistaken, you Scotland guys have had those same issues with Pinecrest for years now, although Pinecrest did step up their OOC this season.

Polls are polls...they all look good. Only thing I see wrong is how West Mecklinburg was a factor in the beginning. No credit there. Especially with 3rd. String qb.

For the record-

MAx Preps- Harding #4 Hickory Ridge #19

Carolina Preps - Harding #5 Hickory Ridge #18

ALso interesting only as it relates to seeding Mallard Creek has moved past Wake to the #1 spot.

providence/harding should be a good one
as another topic has said/ gauntlet of teams for Harding past few weeks, what a home stand

With SOS

4A
1. Wake Forest (6-0)- 6
2. Mallard Creek (5-0)-11
3. Scotland County (3-1)-1
4. West Forsyth (5-0)-56
5. Heritage (6-0)-27
6. Myers Park (5-0)-33
7. Hoggard (5-0)-38
8. Butler (3-1)-2
9. Hickory Ridge (5-0)-49
10. Glenn (5-0)-73

Harding-24
WM-47
Prov-10
Note- There are 77 teams in 4A this year.

Yes HSFB MAN and D 'S FLOCK like d 1st post of NC PREP top 10 poll of week 7, But likes CERTAIN CRYING POSTER wants HIS on top 10 poll. MR. FOOTALL of NC. HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL yes this is football topics.

Port, Is it true that Hoggard's 1st team D has allowed ZERO points in last 3 games? And opposing teams have only crossed the 50yd line 2 times on that D. It wasn't against stellar teams but those 3 teams do have a combined 10-2 record when not playing teams named Hoggard. Will be interesting to see how that D holds up against higher caliber teams like NHHS or Scotland, Seventy-First, possibly Wake Forest or Heritage come playoff time.

Reactions: portcity FB
Port, Is it true that Hoggard's 1st team D has allowed ZERO points in last 3 games? And opposing teams have only crossed the 50yd line 2 times on that D. It wasn't against stellar teams but those 3 teams do have a combined 10-2 record when not playing teams named Hoggard. Will be interesting to see how that D holds up against higher caliber teams like NHHS or Scotland, Seventy-First, possibly Wake Forest or Heritage come playoff time.
That is true. With Hoggards offensive power they will not have to have shut outs to win. They will need to hit on all cylinders and then the defense come up with some turnovers and some important stops. I am also interested in seeing how they do against a good passing team. Kemp has been impressive at CB and if teams throw at him often he will burn them. The other CB isnt as big but he has been lights out too. Both are very physical. The D line is strong and the MLB is good. Our question mark will be the 2 OLB. They are capable but will struggle running with WR or RB.

Hoggard would have to lose in the regular season for that to happen.
Nope. If SC wins out and so does Hoggard both will be #1 out of their conf and underfeated in their conf and it will go to maxpreps rankings. Their is no way Hoggard will be ranked higher, SC scd has been more difficult and their conf scd is also more difficult. SC would have to have a conf loss in order for Hoggard to be ranked higher in the playoffs.

Hoggard would have to lose in the regular season for that to happen.
All 1 seeds seeded by maxpreps this year.
all 1's. then
all 2's. then
all 3's then
at large. by maxprep each group
scot a 2 seed behind wake or heritage provided
the winner there goes small and their maxprep is higher at season end , if scots stay east and don't lose, if wake beats heritage and goes big then scots a 1 seed.
the west has dif scenarios but still the 1's go to maxprep rankings

Last edited:
Nope. If SC wins out and so does Hoggard both will be #1 out of their conf and underfeated in their conf and it will go to maxpreps rankings. Their is no way Hoggard will be ranked higher, SC scd has been more difficult and their conf scd is also more difficult. SC would have to have a conf loss in order for Hoggard to be ranked higher in the playoffs.

Hoggard is ranked 12th right now with Scotland at 11. New Hanover is at 19 right now, I think they'll move up a couple of spots by the time you guys play them. It will be pretty close.

Hoggard is ranked 12th right now with Scotland at 11. New Hanover is at 19 right now, I think they'll move up a couple of spots by the time you guys play them. It will be pretty close.
I hope you are right. SC could get quality wins over PC, 71st, RC so I dont see it.

I hope you are right. SC could get quality wins over PC, 71st, RC so I dont see it.

71'st ranking doesn't show up on Max Preps, not sure what's going on with that. PC and RC are in the 40's,50's right now, will be interesting to see if they value those wins more so than over a top 10-15 team.

71'st ranking doesn't show up on Max Preps, not sure what's going on with that. PC and RC are in the 40's,50's right now, will be interesting to see if they value those wins more so than over a top 10-15 team.
We play
Laney 130
WB (3A) 198
Ashley 232
NB (3A) 308
SB (3A) 330
NH 19
We will not catch them with our scd.

remaining games,

average Maxpreps opponent ranking
Scotland - 108 (3 in top 100)
Hoggard - 203 (1 in top 100)

But, all bets are off with this Maxpreps rankings.

Their percentage of correct predictions proves they aren't accurate at all.

remaining games,

average Maxpreps opponent ranking
Scotland - 108 (3 in top 100)
Hoggard - 203 (1 in top 100)

But, all bets are off with this Maxpreps rankings.

Their percentage of correct predictions proves they aren't accurate at all.
Yes. I don't mind using a ranking system but not this one or any based out of California. I say take an average of some local well respected polls.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
That is true. With Hoggards offensive power they will not have to have shut outs to win. They will need to hit on all cylinders and then the defense come up with some turnovers and some important stops. I am also interested in seeing how they do against a good passing team. Kemp has been impressive at CB and if teams throw at him often he will burn them. The other CB isnt as big but he has been lights out too. Both are very physical. The D line is strong and the MLB is good. Our question mark will be the 2 OLB. They are capable but will struggle running with WR or RB.

Here is the thing though. You can count on just a couple of fingers the number of 4a programs with good passing attacks. Down year for QB's. All about the RB's this year.

Love too. Thanks for asking-

1- Wake ( #1 until beaten)
2- MC ( unbeaten with toughest schedule)
3- Scotland( Hillside, West Meck quality wins)
4- West Forsyth ( Have only seen at scrimmage, sort of a guess)
5- Heritage ( Have crushed everyone. Could make an arguement as high as #3)
6- Hoggard ( Orange win better than any Myer's PArk win to date)
7- Harding- ( Beat last week's 9th ranked team by 24 pts. Only loss to MC)
8- Butler ( virtual tie with MP. Both played Providence to tight wins)
9- Myer's Park ( Only behind Butler ecause they havent beat them in forever)
10- Glenn- ( Tabor win better than any Hickory Ridge or North Meck win)

Page moves in with a win over EF this week.
I think this is closer to reality don't see how Harding can be left out - they have done more than most this year.

SC you guys should know, rankings mean nothing! Won't win one this year either, passing team will get you in playoffs.

joey have you even noticed who the scots have
played pre conference, Scotland has seen 2
seasons worth of passing in 2 of those games
and very much held there on

SC you guys should know, rankings mean nothing! Won't win one this year either, passing team will get you in playoffs.
Scotland loaded up on good passing attacks in their OOC schedule this year in order to properly prepare themselves for the possibility of running into one in November. They learned their lesson from years past.

That's what good teams do...identify weaknesses...and then go play people that can exploit them in order to improve on them. Sure, it leads to an early season loss here and there, but looking ahead, Scotland won't see anything new in the playoffs that they haven't already seen this season. Mission accomplished.

Scotland loaded up on good passing attacks in their OOC schedule this year in order to properly prepare themselves for the possibility of running into one in November. They learned their lesson from years past.

That's what good teams do...identify weaknesses...and then go play people that can exploit them in order to improve on them. Sure, it leads to an early season loss here and there, but looking ahead, Scotland won't see anything new in the playoffs that they haven't already seen this season. Mission accomplished.

Be careful man, this is still a brand new concept for most folks around here. :rolleyes:

We play better on the road anyway, it seems that way. I do agree, I don't think we will see anything different that we haven't seen beside the trick plays from our opponent's. Hillside Offense/QB is a gun Slinger, MC Line Stack, west MecK, Very Fast Speed Team with good Hands. We have been challenge in all areas so far.

Harding now moves to 6-1 on the year and is averaging close to 40 pts a game. Took Providence out to the woodshed last night. Ran up almost 600 yrds on them. Same Providence team lost by 1pt to Butler and 3pts to Myers Park.....both ranked teams. Killed West Meck who was ranked 9th at the time.

Can they break the NCPREPS top 10 next week?

Harding now moves to 6-1 on the year and is averaging close to 40 pts a game. Took Providence out to the woodshed last night. Ran up almost 600 yrds on them. Same Providence team lost by 1pt to Butler and 3pts to Myers Park.....both ranked teams. Killed West Meck who was ranked 9th at the time.

Can you have two number 3's? I believe Scotland and Harding is a toss up.

Harding needs to be in the top 5. That's a damn fine football team, and they've played a killer schedule to prove it. They probably have the best set of wins in the state, and a couple of those wins have been blowouts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT