ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball NCPiedmontSports NC American Legion Rankings

This is pretty interesting. I haven't seen a legion baseball poll. Thanks for the effort on this, Don. The rankings may change, a little,next week. Cherryville lost big to Gastonia, Thursday night, and I think Taylorsville lost to Caldwell County.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
This is pretty interesting. I haven't seen a legion baseball poll. Thanks for the effort on this, Don. The rankings may change, a little,next week. Cherryville lost big to Gastonia, Thursday night, and I think Taylorsville lost to Caldwell County.
Cherryville bounced back from their non-division loss to Gastonia with road wins over Burke (3-1) last night and Taylorsville tonight (8-2). They are now 10-0 is the Western division, 16-2 overall. With most teams playing every day now things can certainly change before Tuesday's rankings but with Union County still undefeated and Taylorsville with 2 losses the past week I think the top three will be Rowan County, Union County, Cherryville. I'm not surprised about Garner. They have been to the State Tournament the past 4 years

By the way Mr. Lincolnton, the Cherryville/Caldwell battles begin at 7:00 this Tuesday, not 6:00 as I previously stated. The protested game will begin at 7:00 in the 5th inning and will be finished as a 9 inning game. After about a 30 minute break it will be followed by another 9 inning game. So it might be midnight before it's all over with and I'm sure there will be drama and controversy. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the reminder, Linkman, I certainly plan to be there. I'm at work and I tuned in to the Cherryville-Taylorsville game, last night. The score was 2-1 in the sixth inning. I tuned in later and they were in the eighth inning with Cherryville up 5-2.The announcer said Taylorsville had changed pitchers.

I just talked with one of the Post 100 players from the 2007 state championship team and was telling him about Caldwell being in Cherryville, Tuesday night.He said he was going to be there. He told me he would give anything to have another at bat for Post 100.

Also, Don mentioned Garner, where the 2007 state tournament was played. That was the hottest week I remember in my entire life. Seems like each day the temperature would be up over 100.I went down to there to see the last few games, that week, in 2007, and the Temps were something like 105. Don was there, too. He was covering those games. Cherryville's standout pitcher was Chris Henderson.

BTW, I thought I heard the Cherryville radio commentator say Taylorsville would be in Cherryville Monday night, is that correct ?

Don, thanks for the Info on Garner. sounds like they may be really good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder, Linkman, I certainly plan to be there. I'm at work and I tuned in to the Cherryville-Taylorsville game, last night. The score was 2-1 in the sixth inning. I tuned in later and they were in the eighth inning with Cherryville up 5-2.The announcer said Taylorsville had changed pitchers.

I just talked with one of the Post 100 players from the 2007 state championship team and was telling him about Caldwell being in Cherryville, Tuesday night.He said he was going to be there. He told me he would give anything to have another at bat for Post 100.

Also, Don mentioned Garner, where the 2007 state tournament was played. That was the hottest week I remember in my entire life. Seems like each day the temperature would be up over 100.I went down to there to see the last few games, that week, in 2007, and the Temps were something like 105. Don was there, too. He was covering those games. Cherryville's standout pitcher was Chris Henderson.

BTW, I thought I heard the Cherryville radio commentator say Taylorsville would be in Cherryville Monday night, is that correct ?

Don, thanks for the Info on Garner. sounds like they may be really good.
Yes, Taylorsville will be in Cherryville Monday night. Cherryville has games at home the next 3 days.....tonight vs Asheville, Monday vs Taylorsville, Tuesday vs Caldwell, and then finish out the regular season on the road Wednesday with a doubleheader vs Henderson County.

Thanks for all the updates guys.

Don't know how old or far back you go with Cherryville but does anyone know what happened to left handed hitting center fielder from 1981. Spent part of a week driving over there to play them that year. Thought he was one of the best players I ever played against. Don't remember his name though.

I am old...

Don't know how old or far back you go with Cherryville but does anyone know what happened to left handed hitting center fielder from 1981. Spent part of a week driving over there to play them that year. Thought he was one of the best players I ever played against. Don't remember his name though.

I am old...

I am old...

That would be Jim Fortenberry. He went to Wingate on a baseball scholarship and was drafted in 1984 by Philadelphia Phillies. He never made it to the big show. He was a great athlete. Played for East Lincoln in high school as a tri-sports star making all conference in baseball, football, and basketball all in the same year. One of the best left handing hitting American Legion players I've ever seen play. Could run like a deer...great outfielder.

Centerfielder J. Fortenberry would make basket catches, like Willie Mays. His father was a standout running back for Lincolnton High School in the early 60's.

Has anyone on here seen Shelby play this year? I wasn't expecting them to be much this year. And i know their record could be misleading.

We will find out Monday night how good they are. Undefeated Union County comes to Shelby!
I haven't seen them play. I know they have a short roster this year.....only 13 players and I heard that is now down to 12 players....most of them from the Crest team that finished runner up for the State 3A championship.

I think they only got a 4 or 5 from Crest's team. The really good Crest players nowadays, don't play legion ball for some reason. I won't get into the why's on that one. I'll keep my opinion to myself. But people around here know why.

That would be Jim Fortenberry. He went to Wingate on a baseball scholarship and was drafted in 1984 by Philadelphia Phillies. He never made it to the big show. He was a great athlete. Played for East Lincoln in high school as a tri-sports star making all conference in baseball, football, and basketball all in the same year. One of the best left handing hitting American Legion players I've ever seen play. Could run like a deer...great outfielder.
Yep that's him. I thought he personally kept us from winning the state back then. Couldn't get him out and couldn't get a ball to drop anywhere in the air in OF. Was just curious how he did after. Thanks guys.

I think they only got a 4 or 5 from Crest's team. The really good Crest players nowadays, don't play legion ball for some reason. I won't get into the why's on that one. I'll keep my opinion to myself. But people around here know why.
The Shelby Post 82 roster listed by Richard Walker in the Gastonia Gazette had only 1 player from Shelby HS, 1 from Burns, and 1 home schooled player. It's my understanding that the rest were from Crest (some from this year's HS team and graduates from last year). Just going on what I've read and heard. As I said I haven't seen them play.

8 crest, 1 Shelby, 1 burns, 1 home school at start of the year. Were down to 10 players added 2 I believe before last nights game vs Gaston Braves. Pitching is pretty good and will keep them in a lot of games. Offense has been up and down some. Game last night vs Gaston was their best all around game of the year so far. Kids they have playing love the game.

Shelby pummeled Lincoln County Saturday night, I believe it was. I turned it off after Shelby had them down 8-0, late in the game. Seems like I heard it ended 11-0., and from their record, Lincoln County Is a pretty fair team...Got a feeling Shelby will hold their own with the rest.

8 crest, 1 Shelby, 1 burns, 1 home school at start of the year. Were down to 10 players added 2 I believe before last nights game vs Gaston Braves. Pitching is pretty good and will keep them in a lot of games. Offense has been up and down some. Game last night vs Gaston was their best all around game of the year so far. Kids they have playing love the game.

I talked to a Crest coach last night, and he told me that only 4 or 5 were playing for Post 82 this year. Oh well. Shelby did lose to Union last night 7-4.

I talked to a Crest coach last night, and he told me that only 4 or 5 were playing for Post 82 this year. Oh well. Shelby did lose to Union last night 7-4.
Don't know if he's talking about this years team or players that went to crest and graduated? Definitely more than 4 or 5 that went to Crest. Don't have my roster with me, but I know that Logan McNeely, Dylan Izzi, Ben Ledbetter, Lawson Harrill, Riley Cash and Jack Miline off the top of my head. I will say that when I worked the game the other night, Jack wasn't there so not sure if he is still with them. The shame is the talent in the county that doesn't play legion anymore. Some outstanding players that choose travel and showcase..

NCPiedmontSports.com NC American Legion Rankings (June 27th)
next ranking July 4th

1. Union County
2. Rowan County
3. Garner Nationals
4. Cherryville
5. Pitt County
6. Wayne County
7. Hope Mills
8. Wilson
9. Randolph County
10.Wilmington

others:
Taylorsville
Shelby
Gaston Braves
Concord
Interesting. I'm an Area IV guy but there is no way Union County should be ranked #1 over Rowan County. Yes, they are undefeated but have not played any teams outside of their Area IV East division. On the other hand Rowan has played a lot of outside teams going 3-0 in the North South Challenge and their only loss to last year's ALWS champion.

I know the rankings don't really mean anything but....

Don't know if he's talking about this years team or players that went to crest and graduated? Definitely more than 4 or 5 that went to Crest. Don't have my roster with me, but I know that Logan McNeely, Dylan Izzi, Ben Ledbetter, Lawson Harrill, Riley Cash and Jack Miline off the top of my head. I will say that when I worked the game the other night, Jack wasn't there so not sure if he is still with them. The shame is the talent in the county that doesn't play legion anymore. Some outstanding players that choose travel and showcase..

I agree 100%. Showcase ball is a big part of the lack on Legion interest. It's a shame, but I can't blame the kids. Legion baseball should do something to help showcase the kids. But I'm of the firm believer, that if you are legitimately a great player, the scouts will find you. Some kids don't want to play/practice every day, they just like going to the weekends and enjoying the summer. If you play for Shelby, you can't have a summer vacation, but when I played, I didn't want it any other way.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Its this generation. They would rather go to the beach or chill at home instead of play baseball!

There is no way legion baseball will ever be able to compete with travel ball. There is to much money to be made in it. Issue is parents are brain washed! If you are not on a travel team then your son is behind.

I can't tell you how many players parents have come to me and said they just should of played college baseball. Reason being is they could of saved all that money they spent on their kids tuition. Even if you get a scholarship you are not getting any where near 100%

I doubt if Union would have gone undefeated if they would have been in Area IV west but for a team to go through the first round undefeated is an accomplishment. This second round will be interesting, particularly in a couple of weeks.

Linkman, I thought R.Cowie pitched well, against Caldwell. Last night was about as cold as I've been at a legion game. Wonder if it will be so chilly tonight when Post 100 travels up the mountain to East Flat Rock to take on Henderson County.

Let me explain myself then: This is a weekly ranking not a seasonal ranking. That is why there are new teams in the rankings this week. RC lost in the Palmetto Classic to a team that was 1-4(their only win was against RC) So is it that Area III is stronger than Area IV?
Who knows about who has the best conference? I do appreciate comments and in no way offended. I follow twitter continuously to get all the info I can get on teams. IMO this week UC was better than RC. thx for your input. I value your opinion!
Thanks for the explanation Don. And thanks for doing the rankings to bring more attention to Legion Baseball. I agree that Union County had a better week than Rowan County. I haven't seen Union County play....looking forward to seeing them maybe in the play offs.

I doubt if Union would have gone undefeated if they would have been in Area IV west but for a team to go through the first round undefeated is an accomplishment. This second round will be interesting, particularly in a couple of weeks.

Linkman, I thought R.Cowie pitched well, against Caldwell. Last night was about as cold as I've been at a legion game. Wonder if it will be so chilly tonight when Post 100 travels up the mountain to East Flat Rock to take on Henderson County.
Yeah, really looking forward to the playoffs. Cowie did pitch well. It did get pretty cold last night for us fans in summer dress as the clock rolled around to midnight. It will probably be pretty cool up in the Mountains. I'm going to stay home and listen to the games on the radio. We will be doing our sports radio show on 1590 at 4:00 today if you have a chance to listen. Going to talk a lot of legion baseball.

I saw where Gastonia beat Union County, Wednesday night. Gastonia seems to be the spoiler for higher ranked teams. With only a single loss I still look for Union to keep the top spot unless some other things come into play.

In the 1st rd of the playoffs Union County will play Hickory who finished as the 8th place team in the West with a 6-10 record, but was only one game back of the 3 teams that tied for 5th, 6th, 7th with 7-9 records.

Hickory finished strong winning 3 out of their last 4 with the loss coming at the hands of Taylorsville in an extra inning game. They also lost 2 close games to Cherryville during the season. So I'm interested in how tough they will play Union County.

I know these rankings don't especially mean anything, (no offense to Don) but it's nice to and gain more exposure for legion ball. Someone has done SC rankings for a few years and it's always nice to see who the best teams are. Are you going to keep doing them as the playoffs progress, Don?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT