ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA

Steelers71

Aug 27, 2007
Seriously, when is the NCHSAA going to offer some guidance on summer workouts? This is ridiculous to not even have a glimmer of a plan for the summer and fall by now. Other states that are beginning to open have released some plan. Maybe after the meeting at 5 today? OR we should just start as usual June 1st since the dead period is over. Make our own plan.

Seriously, when is the NCHSAA going to offer some guidance on summer workouts? This is ridiculous to not even have a glimmer of a plan for the summer and fall by now. Other states that are beginning to open have released some plan. Maybe after the meeting at 5 today? OR we should just start as usual June 1st since the dead period is over. Make our own plan.
I expect that, after the Governor’s press conference, the NCHSAA will send something out soon. But, based on the limits on gatherings, the prohibition on gyms, etc., I don’t think we’ll see any high school football activity until late June at the earliest.

I expect that, after the Governor’s press conference, the NCHSAA will send something out soon. But, based on the limits on gatherings, the prohibition on gyms, etc., I don’t think we’ll see any high school football activity until late June at the earliest.

I agree. This next phase 1.5 is supposed to last 5 weeks. That takes us to the week of July 4th. Which has traditionally been a dead period. If you can't train in a public gym no way they let teams train at school. Sucks. Really was hoping they would open gyms.

I agree. This next phase 1.5 is supposed to last 5 weeks. That takes us to the week of July 4th. Which has traditionally been a dead period. If you can't train in a public gym no way they let teams train at school. Sucks. Really was hoping they would open gyms.
How do you feel about an August 1 start of practices? It was done that way for fifty years probably and worked fine. I know the world of high school football has changed. I question whether its better for the average player, or just the college bound stars. But I’m fine with it if every team has a level playing field.

Reactions: btango
Should start June 1st no question. I have spoke with many players that do not have great home situations and they are miserable without school and sports. Plus they are in no real danger when it comes to this virus.

Direct quote from Que in an email sent to A.D’s yesterday.

“The NCHSAA continues to wait on further guidance from the Governor and DHHS before we can offer or give any further guidance and instructions.”

Reactions: Steelers71
How do you feel about an August 1 start of practices? It was done that way for fifty years probably and worked fine. I know the world of high school football has changed. I question whether its better for the average player, or just the college bound stars. But I’m fine with it if every team has a level playing field.
I
I played in the 80's when we started Aug. 1st. I really have no problem with it except that we had times to go to school throughout the day to workout and get in conditioning our coach had outlined for us to do. We did not do 7 on 7, and basically practice like we do now. I would love for kids to get their summer back while offering the option to come in and workout at certain times. Then hit it full speed 8/1. On a side note, we didn't have concussions back then, more kids played multiple sports, and I also think more kids worked in the heat so they were prepared. I worked for a moving company during the day and hit the weights at 6-7 or so at night.

How do you feel about an August 1 start of practices?

I am somewhat in the minority compared to some of the coaches I've spoken with, but I feel strongly that If we are able to begin practice on August 1st, then we should be able to start the season on time. It worked that way for nearly a century before all of the voluntary summer workouts and 7-on-7's began.

I
I played in the 80's when we started Aug. 1st. I really have no problem with it except that we had times to go to school throughout the day to workout and get in conditioning our coach had outlined for us to do. We did not do 7 on 7, and basically practice like we do now. I would love for kids to get their summer back while offering the option to come in and workout at certain times. Then hit it full speed 8/1. On a side note, we didn't have concussions back then, more kids played multiple sports, and I also think more kids worked in the heat so they were prepared. I worked for a moving company during the day and hit the weights at 6-7 or so at night.

Oh we had concussions ...hell we just didn't know what seeing "black" really meant.

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
Oh we had concussions ...hell we just didn't know what seeing "black" really meant.

HAHAHAHA! That's true! Times were so much different back then. Still think we could start Aug. 1st and be ready for quality football by 8/21. But, when I first started coaching in '98 we still just lifted and ran all summer when the kids could get there. Had open times from 9-12 and 5-8 at night. It was a rural area and many of our kids worked tobacco farms during the day, or just with their dad, etc. It was a simpler time.

Reactions: Vco
I am somewhat in the minority compared to some of the coaches I've spoken with, but I feel strongly that If we are able to begin practice on August 1st, then we should be able to start the season on time. It worked that way for nearly a century before all of the voluntary summer workouts and 7-on-7's began.
Chris, while it worked for nearly a century that way, the game has changed as you well know. Summer workouts/lifting are integral parts of any program. I hope we can get back in weightroom before 8/1. However, if we can't so be it. Great program adapt and change with the times.

Chris, while it worked for nearly a century that way, the game has changed as you well know. Summer workouts/lifting are integral parts of any program. I hope we can get back in weightroom before 8/1. However, if we can't so be it. Great program adapt and change with the times.

Yes, the game has changed, it's changed because we as coaches have changed it. But we're still dealing with adolescent kids, they are resilient and they'll adapt to whatever. Yes, we may have to scale back offensive or defensive systems, but I think most kids will respond just fine with less practice.

The only issues I have with an Aug 1 start is the acclimation process the body goes through to deal with August heat. For a lot of kids those summer workouts and conditioning are the only time they get outside in the heat(times have changed). I am a little nervous about this season with high school and college kids. I really hope i am wrong but it is not going to surprise me to see a spike in heat related traumas nationally this season if we wait, and if we even have a season. Also the weight room plays a huge part in the reduction of injuries during a season. Hard to believe but that is the primary mission of a strength and conditioning program, a good one any way. Other than those reasons it really doesn't matter as long as the playing field is equal.

I say they start playing the 2nd Friday of August (14th) so back up 4.5 weeks from that on the start July 13. Go to a 10 game game season like old times if they need a bye (i prefer no bye due to current issues) and reduce playoff field so they can be done before Thanksgiving. Regular season would end on Oct 16 (11 weeks to play 10 games). Go 4 rounds 16 teams in the east and 16 in west and no byes for all divisions Ship would be on Nov 20-21 weekend if my math is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT