ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA regionals

LOL! That didn't take long...

I’ve pointed out to people on here that charter schools are in fact public schools. However, by my count something like 60% of the schools in the conferences that generally go west are traditional public schools. So when not a single one of those makes it through three rounds, you have to wonder if considering solely enrollment is still the best way to classify schools in the school choice era.

I’ve pointed out to people on here that charter schools are in fact public schools. However, by my count something like 60% of the schools in the conferences that generally go west are traditional public schools. So when not a single one of those makes it through three rounds, you have to wonder if considering solely enrollment is still the best way to classify schools in the school choice era.

Public schools technically but certainly not boundaried like the true public small schools. Some use it to their advantage some don’t. Chatham Charter doesn’t recruit. Almost all their kids are from Siler City. It’s certainly hurt the Jordan-Matthews program with this particular group. But it’s the reality of the day

Public schools technically but certainly not boundaried like the true public small schools. Some use it to their advantage some don’t. Chatham Charter doesn’t recruit. Almost all their kids are from Siler City. It’s certainly hurt the Jordan-Matthews program with this particular group. But it’s the reality of the day
Can any student just show up and enroll in that school? Or is there an evaluation process to see if they qualify?

I expected Mountain Heritage girls to be back in the thick of things in 2A girls this year but they took a pretty good loss to a very solid Forbush team that they rolled in the regional final last season. Thought MH had their nucleus back. Any info? Thanks!

I expected Mountain Heritage girls to be back in the thick of things in 2A girls this year but they took a pretty good loss to a very solid Forbush team that they rolled in the regional final last season. Thought MH had their nucleus back. Any info? Thanks!
Mountain Heritage lost 1 guard and 2 posts from last years team. Those 2 posts were more important than they were given credit for. Forbush was good last year and returned everyone.

Reactions: btango
Don't keep up much with 1A messages boards in football but is this same argument about these "schools" carried over into football? I follow WS Prep a lot in basketball but I know they get their butts handed to them more often than not during football season.

Or is it a different animal all together with basketball vs football?

Don't keep up much with 1A messages boards in football but is this same argument about these "schools" carried over into football? I follow WS Prep a lot in basketball but I know they get their butts handed to them more often than not during football season.

I think the biggest difference is in that where 1A might have that one kid that excels on the court and goes on to play at the next level. Some 3A and 4A might have 3 to 4 that can accomplish that every year! Demographics play the biggest part. That is why you won’t see charters start up in low populated areas.

Mountain Heritages grils were just off the whole season They didn't have any constituent production in the paint. I also heard that some of the girls were burnt out, but the biggest problem was this year's team just didn't have the talent that last year's team had.Heritage did return there 2 best players from last year's team,but they couldn't replace the 3 seniors that got the dirty work done and created great team chemistry.
Looking forward next year's freshman class should be the best in school history.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It's nice to see 3 charters and a prep in the regional finals. I guess the NCHSAA doesn't recognize the pattern yet smh
It’s been a pattern for a while. Coming from an Avery County guy who witnessed a group that would’ve had at least 1, if not 2 state titles if it weren’t for Winston Salem Prep in between 2014-2017. When a kid gets in a Virginia tagged car after an Elite 8 1A basketball game, you know there is some recruiting going on...

I think the biggest difference is in that where 1A might have that one kid that excels on the court and goes on to play at the next level. Some 3A and 4A might have 3 to 4 that can accomplish that every year! Demographics play the biggest part. That is why you won’t see charters start up in low populated areas.

Got you. Thanks.

Can any student just show up and enroll in that school? Or is there an evaluation process to see if they qualify?
No they have a lottery for the limited high school spots. Most of these kids on charter have been there since K-8. And they are guaranteed a spot on into high school. Some choose to leave after the 8th grade for other schools - some to play football. That opens up some slots. I think there's only 180 in 9-12 though so classes are small.

It’s been a pattern for a while. Coming from an Avery County guy who witnessed a group that would’ve had at least 1, if not 2 state titles if it weren’t for Winston Salem Prep in between 2014-2017. When a kid gets in a Virginia tagged car after an Elite 8 1A basketball game, you know there is some recruiting going on...
It's ridiculous. I remember ok me season they brought in two players from Texas and two from Statesville. Complete joke as is Bishop girls. NCHSAA screwed a lot of kids and traditional long time member schools

I think part of the difference is that just a few special kids can have a much bigger impact in basketball than in football, and a lot of the traditional schools have well-established feeder programs, traditions, etc. which can mean a lot when you have to get 20-something on the same page instead of just 5. Although the 1A west finals and 1AA west semifinals had charter schools in them this year, so I think the gap might be closing there, too.

But WS Prep isn't a charter school, it's part of Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools, which has open enrollment...so their advantages are kind of a different issue.

And there are some charter schools in sparse areas--Bear Grass Charter is in a town of 73 people within a county of 25K. Summit Charter is in Cashiers, which is pretty isolated and has a low population except in the summer (and those folks don't have kids in school), KIPP Pride is in a town of 1,100 within a county of 22K. Which is why I don't think a one size fits all rule would be fair, but some sort of system based on the population of the 25-mile radius is needed.

Last edited:
No they have a lottery for the limited high school spots. Most of these kids on charter have been there since K-8. And they are guaranteed a spot on into high school. Some choose to leave after the 8th grade for other schools - some to play football. That opens up some slots. I think there's only 180 in 9-12 though so classes are small.
I know how they work it is hard to type in a sarcastic tone. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT