ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA ON LIFE SUPPORT?

Looks like there might be the votes in the State Senate and House to dissolve the NCHSAA.

Anyone have thoughts?
I like what they are talking about doing. Having AD's and some coaches on the board. The schools are just getting screwed now while the NCHSAA lines their pockets.

Reactions: UNC91
I like what they are talking about doing. Having AD's and some coaches on the board. The schools are just getting screwed now while the NCHSAA lines their pockets.
That is who is on the board now. The only difference is this board is selected by the districts and not the politicans.

Overall, NCHSAA does a good job - a lot involved that the fan doesn't see. That new group will quickly find that out if this proposal becomes the law.

I think I've seen where the coaches association and other groups are in support of the NCHSAA.

I do like the senators' proposal to remove the non-public schools from the state playoff brackets and making the charters play up a class.

Reactions: strikerHHS
I don't know the right answer here but I would like for someone to explain why they have $36 million in the bank and the schools are getting absolutely nothing in return. If anyone thinks that is ok, they are certainly off their rocker. I would like some answers. If the current regime is really for the schools and we have AD's and administrators that still support them, please tell me why when there is nothing visible to the public.

The $ amount is assets - not total cash on hand. Still a sizable amount in reserve though. NCHSAA seems to be getting a little more generous in dollar disbursement in the last couple of years, like paying all schools insurance.

Are you satisfied with NCHSAA as it is now?
Not satisfied. There are always things can be done to improve. I have had some involvement with a few other state's athletic associations and they had their issues. NC is looked at by many states as prototype model. The state championships (prior to COVID) are ran much more efficiently than in SC. From the A through Z.

The amount involved in high school sports today is immense. Just think the legislature is going to cause a lot of loss for a lot of young people who have lost too much the last 1.5 years.

Reactions: UNC91 and Otis4411
I said this on the other forum. It's unneccessary to get govt involved. Schools can boycott/leave/form a new association on their own, if they want. Politicians rarely have good intentions.

It’s personal. Apparently, the Commissioner pissed off the wrong Senator. Tom McInnis met with Que Tucker regarding Anson County being kicked-out of the football playoffs. Clearly that meeting didn’t go well and McInnis has gone scorched earth on NCHSAA ever since.

The $ amount is assets - not total cash on hand. Still a sizable amount in reserve though. NCHSAA seems to be getting a little more generous in dollar disbursement in the last couple of years, like paying all schools insurance.

“NCHSAA charges each school 75 cents per student plus an additional $100 administrative fee. It also makes money by providing catastrophic insurance coverage for schools. NCHAA raises more revenue by taking a percentage of all gate receipts for postseason games in exchange for providing locations and logistics for postseason competition.”

I just moved to AZ and let me tell you if you think the NCHSAA is bad then Don’t even get me started on all the stuff I have already learned in my short few weeks in AZ.

NC is a great sport state, While yes the NCHSAA has a lot to answer for like why that have 36-40$ In assets!

I understand The NCHSAA isn’t directly involved in getting HS remodel/Funded n what not but I feel like the NCHSAA should make a Board or some type of plan where each Conference or school has to raise this money or whatever to help with repairs n the NCHSAA will match it or help pay the difference so say if Statesville HS needed turf - Statesville would need raise 30,000-50,000 and NCHSAA would pay the rest or something like this to help schools who need Repairs/Upgrades! I do think Playoffs need a slightly different formula esp where they need to eliminate the Same conference games in the 1st n 2nd round and etc

“I can’t believe they have amassed that kind of cash, while asking the poor schools in my poor areas of my district to continue to give them more during a pandemic.”

Further, because of state and NCHSAA regulations, many parents and all fans have been prevented from attending athletic contests this year. Schools throughout the state decided to stream games live. Most of the live streams were free Facebook Live broadcasts or other low-cost low-quality productions. But the NCHSAA told its member schools they had to use that organization’s streaming service, charging parents $70 per year. NCHSAA told its schools that, should they not use the fee-based service, in-which NCHSAA keeps all the revenue, the member schools would be charged $250 for every event they streamed.

“That would distribute $4 million from the group’s Endowment’s Board Designated Funds to help member schools. The endowment also helps fund numerous scholarship awards and recognitions for deserving student-athletes every year.”

During the legislature meeting on Tuesday they showed the NCHSAA only endowing $34K/per year on student scholarships. That’s pathetic.

I I do think Playoffs need a slightly different formula esp where they need to eliminate the Same conference games in the 1st n 2nd round and etc
That was the setup at for a few years. There was the rule you could not play a fellow conference opponent the first round and then the pod system. In some cases that was nearly impossible and may cause a school to travel a great distance or two very good teams match up and two average teams play to ensure this. Was not a good setup logistically. One year one pod had one team with one loss and the remaining had 3 or more losses. The neighboring pod was loaded out with powerhouse teams.

Here's a thought, reduce the number of teams in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I understand The NCHSAA isn’t directly involved in getting HS remodel/Funded n what not but I feel like the NCHSAA should make a Board or some type of plan where each Conference or school has to raise this money or whatever to help with repairs n the NCHSAA will match it or help pay the difference so say if Statesville HS needed turf - Statesville would need raise 30,000-50,000 and NCHSAA would pay the rest or something like this to help schools who need Repairs/Upgrades!
I see the endowment as a 401k. Save, live a bit tight, and do not borrow from it so you can live decent without working. If you give a school $200,000 for turf you will give it to several. The endowment would be whittled away fairly quickly.

Remember, there is about $15 million in the endowment that cannot be touched. It must remain regardless in the account. It was setup that way with much of the money coming from donations. Donations in the 1990's and early 2000's contributed to the fund in that manner meaning the principal would not be touched.

There are other amounts that were placed in the fund and can only be used for certain items. Think a hotel/rental car tax that is used specifically to drive visitors to a city but cannot be used for other needs even if more pressing.

Further, because of state and NCHSAA regulations, many parents and all fans have been prevented from attending athletic contests this year. Schools throughout the state decided to stream games live. Most of the live streams were free Facebook Live broadcasts or other low-cost low-quality productions. But the NCHSAA told its member schools they had to use that organization’s streaming service, charging parents $70 per year. NCHSAA told its schools that, should they not use the fee-based service, in-which NCHSAA keeps all the revenue, the member schools would be charged $250 for every event they streamed.
Is there a contract with NFHS? Is part of the contract not about other streaming services? Things are not always as simple as they seem.

By the way, I am pretty happy with the streaming service. I had three games going at a time from all over the state.

Ok blowing up the NCHSAA is a terrible idea. The last thing that we want is NC government in HS athletics. I mean don't they have a budget to pass or something. Now we will have politics pumped into HS sports and do we really want that? Do we really want people who already have full time jobs running this "New " association? Now does the NCHSAA need to have some changes and become more transparent? YES. What will happen if the NCHSAA goes away the players and coaches will become collateral. I am sure that there is a much more simpler way of doing this

Is there a contract with NFHS? Is part of the contract not about other streaming services? Things are not always as simple as they seem.

By the way, I am pretty happy with the streaming service. I had three games going at a time from all over the state.

I was a little puzzled reading that too. Yes, the NCHSAA and NFHS have an agreement. But that agreement doesn’t make sense for NFHS if NCHSAA keeps all the subscription revenue.

I’ve never seen a streamed game on their network. Paid the $10 fee when Hibriten made the soccer state title game this spring, but I ended up going to the game. Are there commercials or live advertising during the broadcast? If not, i’m confused how NFHS makes money.

Last edited:
Reactions: notanyonesfan
I was a little puzzled reading that too. Yes, the NCHSAA and NFHS have an agreement. But that agreement doesn’t make sense for NFHS if NCHSAA keeps all the subscription revenue.

I’ve never seen a streamed game on their network. Paid the $10 fee when Hibriten made the state title game this spring, but I ended going to the game. Are there commercials or live advertising during the broadcast? If not, i’m confused how NFHS makes money.
I watched 1 game in NFHS this past spring. Or should I say tried to watch. For the entire 1st half they never moved the camera from midfield & there was no audio. It was terrible, I immediately cancelled my subscription.

I watched 1 game in NFHS this past spring. Or should I say tried to watch. For the entire 1st half they never moved the camera from midfield & there was no audio. It was terrible, I immediately cancelled my subscription.

I’ve heard a lot of people who say they had that same experience. It seems to be hit or miss with NFHS.

Reactions: btango

I’ve never seen a streamed game on their network. Paid the $10 fee when Hibriten made the soccer state title game this spring, but I ended up going to the game. Are there commercials or live advertising during the broadcast? If not, i’m confused how NFHS makes money.
I cannot remember. Sometimes there were two options for the same game. Most of the ones I watched had announcers and the camera worked good with a clear picture. A few did not! I can do without sound and in some instances would have preferred none.

Better than no football.

I had the same experience trying to watch one game. However I was able to watch my cousin's son in Arkansas win a state title and it was like watching a college game. Same thing with Clinton's games. Jonathan and his crew have the video synced with their radio play by play. Watching their games is more than worth the money.

Everyone talks junk about the nchsaa on here that I’ve seen

Yes they do. But almost everyone on here is an armchair quarterback. Just like football, most are clueless of what all it takes to run a high school football program let alone a governing body of high school athletics for an entire state.

Room for improvements, yes. Dismantling an organization that's been in place for over a century to let some yahoo in Raleigh who spends their days polishing a leather seat with his/her azz. I don't think so.

Could the NCHSAA improve? Sure. Should they give some of the millions in the endowment back to the schools? Yep. Do we want a state government that can’t pass a budget as required by law to oversee high school athletics in NC? Nope

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
Could the NCHSAA improve? Sure. Should they give some of the millions in the endowment back to the schools? Yep. Do we want a state government that can’t pass a budget as required by law to oversee high school athletics in NC? Nope
The Republican Legislature has no problem passing budgets. And the Democrat Governor has no problem vetoing them.

Just for the record since there is a lot of misinformation being written: The $42 millions figure is the Total Assets of the Association.

The actual Endowment is about $24 million of which only the earnings can be spent, about $1-2 million annually. It would make absolutely no sense to spend the principal amount because that would defeat the purpose of any endowment: to provide perpetual funds for both the present and the future.

For those who have never visited the NCHSAA, it is located in Chapel Hill off the UNC Finley Golf Course. Walk out the back door of the Association and you can walk onto one of the fairways of the golf course. PRIME, PRIME REAL ESTATE.

Reactions: btango
The principal of the endowment is the key to the success and survivability of high school sports, especially football, in NC high schools. That was the thoughts of Charlie Adams when he set it up and I truly believe that.

Yes they do. But almost everyone on here is an armchair quarterback. Just like football, most are clueless of what all it takes to run a high school football program let alone a governing body of high school athletics for an entire state.

Room for improvements, yes. Dismantling an organization that's been in place for over a century to let some yahoo in Raleigh who spends their days polishing a leather seat with his/her azz. I don't think so.

Have you ever seen Que Tucker’s office? She’s got a leather seat…

A presentation by Sen. Vickie Sawyer (R-Iredell) included previously confidential information from the association. It revealed that the NCHSAA's total assets, more than $41 million, outpace all other state associations in the country. It is more than double the Iowa High School Athletic Association, which has the second highest asset value, but is less than $20 million. Additionally, Sawyer showed that the NCHSAA's total assets were comparable to the Atlantic Coast Conference's total assets, despite having significantly fewer expenses.

According to information released by the subcommittee, a June 2020 audit of the NCHSAA found total assets of $41,866,464. The audit reported annual expenses of $5,052,085 and revenues of $6,009,932.

Sawyer said if the NCHSAA stopped collecting money and stopped earning interest on its endowment fund, which Tucker said stands at $26.5 million today, the NCHSAA would have enough assets to operate on its current rate of expenses for up to nine years.

HSOT: NCHSAA FINANCIALS

The principal of the endowment is the key to the success and survivability of high school sports, especially football, in NC high schools. That was the thoughts of Charlie Adams when he set it up and I truly believe that.
Another thing to consider is the growth of the Endowment. Having managed the finances of several endowment funds, the goal is for the endowment to increase in value over time by at least the average inflation rate percent. Otherwise, future beneficiaries will receive less value that current beneficiaries. It is sometimes a difficult concept to understand but it is most necessary that the principal balance of the endowment grow and not be lessened by excessive payouts demanded by current recipients.

Sometimes we have to consider the needs of the future and not just say "I want it now"!

A presentation by Sen. Vickie Sawyer (R-Iredell) included previously confidential information from the association. It revealed that the NCHSAA's total assets, more than $41 million, outpace all other state associations in the country. It is more than double the Iowa High School Athletic Association, which has the second highest asset value, but is less than $20 million. Additionally, Sawyer showed that the NCHSAA's total assets were comparable to the Atlantic Coast Conference's total assets, despite having significantly fewer expenses.

According to information released by the subcommittee, a June 2020 audit of the NCHSAA found total assets of $41,866,464. The audit reported annual expenses of $5,052,085 and revenues of $6,009,932.

Sawyer said if the NCHSAA stopped collecting money and stopped earning interest on its endowment fund, which Tucker said stands at $26.5 million today, the NCHSAA would have enough assets to operate on its current rate of expenses for up to nine years.

HSOT: NCHSAA FINANCIALS
Iowa has about half as many schools as NC so should they have the half the assets?

NCHSAA started the endowment fund in 1993 (or 1994) and other states gradually followed. In my travels to other states for high school athletic events I have found that the NCHSAA has been looked at as a model program by other state governing bodies.

In AZ unlike NC - AZ has 0 funding from districts so like say in NC some may have 500$ Or maybe 2,000 for Football to buy stuff from district/school itself where AZ has 0 everything has to be fundraising.
Iowa has about half as many schools as NC so should they have the half the assets?

NCHSAA started the endowment fund in 1993 (or 1994) and other states gradually followed. In my travels to other states for high school athletic events I have found that the NCHSAA has been looked at as a model program by other state governing bodies.
NCHSAA is a great association but like I stated ^ AZ isn’t as good as NC in Supporting athletics but could be depending on where you are n all

“I can’t believe they have amassed that kind of cash, while asking the poor schools in my poor areas of my district to continue to give them more during a pandemic.”

“That would distribute $4 million from the group’s Endowment’s Board Designated Funds to help member schools. The endowment also helps fund numerous scholarship awards and recognitions for deserving student-athletes every year.”

During the legislature meeting on Tuesday they showed the NCHSAA only endowing $34K/per year on student scholarships. That’s pathetic.
There's probably a good reason everyone had to use the NCHSAA preferred streaming service. NFHS has a board of directors too you know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT