ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

Last edited:
I can not remember Mount Airy not being in the Northwest Conference going back to the 1960s or before... This is so stupid. The NCHSAA could screw up a ### Dream. If this happens I am done with high school football. They can't fox anything without screwing it up worse ! ! !
I don't think they will leave the NW1A. With East Surry going up to 2A and Surry Central projected to go 1A, you can almost guarantee MA, SC, and N. Stokes being in the NW1A. Also I don't think any of the Wilkes schools will be in the WP2A. They will stay in the Mountain Valley. The odds of the Mountain Valley becoming 1A only are slim to me.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I LOVE your baseball stuff you do.

The problem I have with your football conference concerning Eastern Randolph is the same I mentioned before. That conference would have their closest game being at least an hour drive. Travel costs would be astronomical and gates sparse. The one right under that would be a much better fit logistically
But every team in Randolph Co. must be in a conference with other teams in the West region....(also remember HSOT could be wrong having ER in 1A; I suppose there's a chance they could go 2A), but if they are correct and ER goes 1A, the only other 1As anywhere are close are the ones in the league I projected, or the one ABOVE with S Davidson, Albemarle, N Stanly, S Stanly, N Rowan, Anson....and now that you mention it, I might make that switch, as I didn't like that conference having so many teams, if if flip ER to the one I'm calling the Yadkin Valley, then both of those leagues will have 9 instead of 10 & 8....and ER's travel won't be a whole lot different (maybe further actually)....ER is one of those in the tough spot of being a better fit in an East conference, but apparently the committee has spoken, and every school in Randolph Co. will be in the West for every playoff bracket in every sport from 21-25, and while you can can schedule whoever you like for non-conf. games, they committee has also said that conferences will be fully contained within the East & West

I LOVE your baseball stuff you do.

The problem I have with your football conference concerning Eastern Randolph is the same I mentioned before. That conference would have their closest game being at least an hour drive. Travel costs would be astronomical and gates sparse. The one right under that would be a much better fit logistically
Also, tht WS Journal article someone shared earlier might be on to something with a 1A/2A split conference around Randolph Co., problem is that if Uwharrie Ch. goes 2A, like HSOT expects, then ER would be the only 1A in a league full of 2As, (and only football 1A even if Uwh. Ch. stays 1A)....they could add Thomasville and/or S. Davidson and make it more balanced

I don't think they will leave the NW1A. With East Surry going up to 2A and Surry Central projected to go 1A, you can almost guarantee MA, SC, and N. Stokes being in the NW1A. Also I don't think any of the Wilkes schools will be in the WP2A. They will stay in the Mountain Valley. The odds of the Mountain Valley becoming 1A only are slim to me.
Ever who put that realignment together for that included Surry, Yadkin, & Wilkes Counties must not know the area. It is stupid trying to predict what the nuts in Raleigh are going to do. Whatever they do without doing it in person and doing it right will be a royal screw up and probably will anyway as always are the crap the NCHSAA comes up with. They need to let the 1A & 2A vote on what they want and the 3A & 4A vote on what they want. This letting the major Metropolitan Areas (3A 4A) vote for the good of 1A & 2A is a farce because they have more voting power and can care less about the small schools.

Reactions: realjoejr
How do the metro schools have more voting power than 1A and 2A? 20% of schools are 1A right now and 20% 4A...

Traditionally it's been 25/25/25/25

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It's only about an hour trip actually.

But yeah wouldn't be a game.
From the school , it’s about an hour. For many of the fans, or on an activity bus, it’s probably an hour and fifteen to an an hour and a half. The return trip would seem like four hours.

From the school , it’s about an hour. For many of the fans, or on an activity bus, it’s probably an hour and fifteen to an an hour and a half. The return trip would seem like four hours.

It's no different than Elkin or Starmount having to go to Ashe now. Actually a much better trip. I still see no way Reidsville doesn't end up in a split and South with the Yadkin Valley schools.

Reactions: realjoejr
But every team in Randolph Co. must be in a conference with other teams in the West region....(also remember HSOT could be wrong having ER in 1A; I suppose there's a chance they could go 2A), but if they are correct and ER goes 1A, the only other 1As anywhere are close are the ones in the league I projected, or the one ABOVE with S Davidson, Albemarle, N Stanly, S Stanly, N Rowan, Anson....and now that you mention it, I might make that switch, as I didn't like that conference having so many teams, if if flip ER to the one I'm calling the Yadkin Valley, then both of those leagues will have 9 instead of 10 & 8....and ER's travel won't be a whole lot different (maybe further actually)....ER is one of those in the tough spot of being a better fit in an East conference, but apparently the committee has spoken, and every school in Randolph Co. will be in the West for every playoff bracket in every sport from 21-25, and while you can can schedule whoever you like for non-conf. games, they committee has also said that conferences will be fully contained within the East & West

the word is you will see a 1a/2a split conference with Albemarle West Stanly South Stanly Albemarle Anson Monroe and Forest Hills. North Stanly are projected 2a. If that holds you could see North Rowan Thomasville TW Andrews all in the same conference

I can not remember Mount Airy not being in the Northwest Conference going back to the 1960s or before... This is so stupid. The NCHSAA could screw up a ### Dream. If this happens I am done with high school football. They can't fox anything without screwing it up worse ! ! !

I'm not from Surry Co., but a lot of family are, and talking to them over the years, wasn't there a time in the 60s/70s when Mt. Airy was in the Western Conference and other Surry schools were in the Northwest Conference?

I'm not from Surry Co., but a lot of family are, and talking to them over the years, wasn't there a time in the 60s/70s when Mt. Airy was in the Western Conference and other Surry schools were in the Northwest Conference?
Correct....Mount Airy and Reidsville were in a Western 3-A conference for years.....last year they were in the same conference was 1970....Conference members that year were Reidsville, Mount Airy, Mount Tabor, Madison-Mayodan (now McMichael), Eastern Randolph, Eden Morehead and HP Andrews....Wow....What a conference lay-out (mileage and quality wise).....................

Don’t remember Eastern Randolph in that conference. But do remember Mt Airy playing those schools plus non conference games against Parkland and North Forsyth. That era was started by Coach Alex Gibbs and continued under Coach Jerry Hollingsworth. Featuring Bill Wall, Buster Cox, Johnny Wood, Frank Levering, CL Ramey, Rudy Hemric, Eric Strickland, Larry Graham, Clinton Bullock, Coley Burton, David Christian, Steve Loftis, Philip Vaughan, and others!

Don’t remember Eastern Randolph in that conference. But do remember Mt Airy playing those schools plus non conference games against Parkland and North Forsyth. That era was started by Coach Alex Gibbs and continued under Coach Jerry Hollingsworth. Featuring Bill Wall, Buster Cox, Johnny Wood, Frank Levering, CL Ramey, Rudy Hemric, Eric Strickland, Larry Graham, Clinton Bullock, Coley Burton, David Christian, Steve Loftis, Philip Vaughan, and others!
Coach Gibbs played at Thomasville. His brother David played at Duke after quarterbacking the Bulldogs.

Alex Gibbs last year coaching at Mount Airy was 1968 when he won the State Western Championship. He went on to coach in Pro football They did not have an overall State Champion but an Eastern & Western Champion Coach Jerry Hollingsworth took over in 1969 and was the Western runner up his first year. Mount Airy must have joined the NWC sometime From 1970 to 1976, I had graduated by then.

Pro Coach Alex Gibbs, click read more at the end of the sentence. Click Link Below.
Mount Airy has always had great Coaches.

rambbq, Jack Childress played at Duke, was a big time college football official, and now works for the South Atlantic Conference.

rambbq, Jack Childress played at Duke, was a big time college football official, and now works for the South Atlantic Conference.
There was another Childress that was a Mount Airy Basketball great that played in the 1960s and went on to play at UNC I think. He had the nickname of Chili Childress. I was good friends with his younger brother Doug, living in Highpoint now. WOW, that was my teen years, great memories.

Interesting stuff ...
👍👍
Standing ovation and hats off on the time it took to do all of that!!!! I didn’t even know about apprentice academy in Monroe lol. Very interesting to look at. There is a strong opinion you will see a 1A-2a split conference with Albemarle and other Stan co schools with Monroe and forest hills. But this is excellent work and very possible

Reactions: RD28327
lol...I know all about Childress...I was QB for Reidsville 1967 season and had a couple of collisions with him...game was played at Mt. Airy...they whipped us pretty good.....28-0............................

Anyone think good or bad on these items listed below. #6, #7 and #8 caught my eye.

#6- Especially no subdivisions in football. (IMO), this will be a disaster in 1A and 4A. Too much difference in a school size between small 1A and big 1A's. Same in 4A, a school with 1500 kids playing a school with 3000 kids? Roster size and depth can be huge come playoff time. Most 2A/3A schools are pretty close in size so might not be as big for them.

#7- Ten games is fine with me, less burnout for the kids and staff.

#8- Does this change the projections for some bubble teams in all divisions for the new realignment?

Thoughts?

NCHSAA Board Minutes:

• Approved the allocation of $4,000,000 in Board/Undesignated Funds from the NCHSAA Endowment as a one-time subsidy for schools offering athletic programs during the 2020-2021 academic year (Subcommittee to be formed to determine distribution formula/method)
  • No alterations to the 2020-2021 Modified Athletic Calendar
  • Updated the 2020-2021 Modified Sports Manual for Basketball, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, & Swimming & Diving
  • Approved the creation of a 60-second officials’ timeout in each quarter for basketball to provide an opportunity for athletes to adapt to wearing masks during competition
  • Approved virtual monitoring (telemedicine) as an alternative to face-to-face monitoring of the Concussion Return to Play Protocol
  • Eliminated subdivisions in football, effective August 2021
  • Reduced the number of regular-season contests in football, effective August 2021, to 10 games (including endowment) while implementing a stipulation that the first contest may not occur more than two days in advance of the final Friday in August
  • Approved elimination of each member school’s highest ISP data point in the three-year window considered for the 2021-2025 Realignment formula due to anomalies in the data caused by natural disasters (ISP percentage will now be calculated using the lowest two ISP data points from the three-year period)

Most 2A and 3a used to be close. If the pundits are correct you could have a 3a conference with lake Norman charter (800 students) and Harding (1600 students).

Reactions: Wow71
Most 2A and 3a used to be close. If the pundits are correct you could have a 3a conference with lake Norman charter (800 students) and Harding (1600 students).

True, this could be a nightmare!

20/30/30/20 split wouldn't be as bad.
Not using the ISP would also help

New from the NCHSAA. Starting this fall there will not be 2 state champions in each division meaning only one 1A 2A 3A & 4A champions and only 10 games each season instead of 11 with one being an endowment game if the school chooses to play 10 games. Football will start on the last Friday in August for the fall 2021 football season. If I understood this right. Also, they should have gone with 1A through 5A or 6A if doing away with 8 champions.

Last edited:

Winston-Salem Journal took a stab today.

The writer calls the Outliners 1A a island of misfits but thats how I felt when Thomasville was in the Yadkin Valley 1A years ago. Playing Reidsville, Carver, South Davidson, Andrews and the academy schools makes more sense geography wise than playing Chatham central and other out of the way schools we had to travel for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wow71
New from the NCHSAA. Starting this fall there will not be 2 state champions in each division meaning only one 1A 2A 3A & 4A champions and only 10 games each season instead of 11 with one being an endowment game if the school chooses to play 10 games. Football will start on the last Friday in August for the fall 2021 football season. If I understood this right. Also, they should have gone with 1A through 5A or 6A if doing away with 8 champions.
So does every team play 10 games plus 1 endowment game, or does every team play 10 games including 1 endowment game?

And if every team in Randolph has to be in West put them all in a split conference. Include Andrews and you still have PAC7. Gates are still great and travel ain’t bad. Oh I almost forgot. No teams want Uwharrie in ever. “Influencing” of players and/or parents at games would be way too easy...

It appears to me that this is a way to address the complaint of the private/charter schools which many have felt have had an unfair advantage in sports in NC. I have heard for years about certain schools winning multiple State Championships in several sports (especially women's sports). I think the ISP and Wells Fargo pieces will force some of these schools to play up a classification. Especially in the lower classifications. I could be wrong but after hearing the format it seems that way to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT