ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

My understanding was the 3 school boards in the county really went to bat to make sure all 10 county teams were in the same conference. Hopefully they can have that sway again to help keep some of them together.

Sort of like the MVAC. The Wilkes schools like it because of the gates and natural rivalries. Marc Payne has been influential in making sure it stays together too from my understanding.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Took a rough stab at western conferences tonight. So hard to tell. But just for fun:

Conference 1
Murphy
Hayesville
Andrews
Robbinsville
Swain
Cherokee
Rosman
Tri County EC
Highlands
Hiawassee
Nantahala
Blue Ridge EC

Conference 2 Split
Madison
Owen
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Avery
Draughn

Conference 3 Split
Ashe
Alleghany
Elkin
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
Starmount

Conference 4 Split
TJCA
Cherryville
Bessemer City
Piedmont Charter
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Shelby
East Gaston
MIC

Conference 5
Langtree Charter
Christ the King
Carolina International School
Cabarrus Charter
Covian
Queens Grant
Sugar Creek Charter
Bradford Prep

Conference 6 Split
Apprentice Academy
Union Academy
Monroe
Forrest Hills
Anson
West Stanly
South Stanly
Gray Stone
North Stanly
Ablemarle

Conference 7 Split
North Rowan
South Davidson
West Davidson
Lexington
East Davidson
Wheatmore
Trinity
Eastern Randolph

Conference 8 Split
Reidsville
Morehead
McMichael
North Stokes
South Stokes
NE Guilford
Bethany Community

Conference 9 Split
Bishop Mcguiness
Thomasville
TW Andrews
NCLA
Cornerstone
Winston Salem Prep
Carver
North Forsyth
Walkertown

Conference 10 Split
West Stokes
East Surry
Forbush
Surry Central
North Surry
Mt. Airy
Millennium Charter

Some teams are interchangeable to cut the splits down. I just did it based mainly on distance.
Burns would be in your Conference 4 too, that would be the worst case scenario for us, Shelby and Huss in football.

Last edited:
My understanding was the 3 school boards in the county really went to bat to make sure all 10 county teams were in the same conference. Hopefully they can have that sway again to help keep some of them together.

Sort of like the MVAC. The Wilkes schools like it because of the gates and natural rivalries. Marc Payne has been influential in making sure it stays together too from my understanding.
Eight county teams, plus two from Rowan. South Davidson was 1A, so not included. The AD’s were very supportive as well.

This is the way I could see things turning out since the NCHSAA is only looking for single classification conferences

#1 1A
Mount Airy
Surry Central
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Millenium

#2 1A
North Stokes
South Stokes
Reidsville
Bishop McGuinness
Carver
Winston-Salem Prep
T.W. Andrews
Bethany
NC Leadership
Cornerstone

#3 2A
North Surry
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
Forbush
Ashe County
West Caldwell

#4 2A
East Surry
West Stokes
North Forsyth
Walkertown
McMichael
Morehead
Northeast Guilford

#5 1A
Thomasville
South Davidson
Eastern Randolph
Albemarle
South Stanley
North Rowan
Anson
Gray Stone

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
"Once scores are set, each school will be placed in either the east or west region, based on its county. Conferences will be created in the east and west with split conferences used as necessary to avoid hardships such as geography and travel."

Splits will be used more than they have in the past if I had to guess. This will be far from a normal realignment.

Burns would be in your Conference 4 too, that would be the worst case scenario for us, Shelby and Huss in football.

Actually moved Shelby to a 2A/3A with Burns

Burns
Shelby
Crest
West Lincoln
Lincolnton
Kings Mountain

Could add another Gaston school or 2.

That would be a fun football conference.

When I did it I sort of mapped it with ease of travel too and running major corridors.

This is the way I could see things turning out since the NCHSAA is only looking for single classification conferences

#1 1A
Mount Airy
Surry Central
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Millenium

#2 1A
North Stokes
South Stokes
Reidsville
Bishop McGuinness
Carver
Winston-Salem Prep
T.W. Andrews
Bethany
NC Leadership
Cornerstone

#3 2A
North Surry
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
Forbush
Ashe County
West Caldwell

#4 2A
East Surry
West Stokes
North Forsyth
Walkertown
McMichael
Morehead
Northeast Guilford

#5 1A
Thomasville
South Davidson
Eastern Randolph
Albemarle
South Stanley
North Rowan
Anson
Gray Stone
Wow better put new tires on activity bus. There are a couple of 1A schools closer to ER. But they would go east to play Chatham and Norrh Moore. Split involving Randolph HS might be more logical. So that means it probably won’t happen huh?

Davidson County/Rowan County could split 2A/3A East Davidson, West Davidson, Lexington, Salisbury and S Rowan as 2A's, Ledford, N Davidson, Oak Grove and Central Davidson will be 3A's.

1A/2A split could be 2A East, West, Lexington, Salisbury and SR. 1A Thomasville, S Davidson, N Rowan, E Randolph and TW Andrews.

There are plenty of 2A schools to combine into a Davidson/Rowan/Randolph league and enough 1A to make a moderate size 1A without splitting. Parkland, HP Central, S Guilford and a few others are close enough to be put together with Ledford, OG, ND and CD for a new 3A league.

1A could be the current YVC plus ER, TW Andrews and Thomasville.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Davidson County/Rowan County could split 2A/3A East Davidson, West Davidson, Lexington, Salisbury and S Rowan as 2A's, Ledford, N Davidson, Oak Grove and Central Davidson will be 3A's.

1A/2A split could be 2A East, West, Lexington, Salisbury and SR. 1A Thomasville, S Davidson, N Rowan, E Randolph and TW Andrews.

There are plenty of 2A schools to combine into a Davidson/Rowan/Randolph league and enough 1A to make a moderate size 1A without splitting. Parkland, HP Central, S Guilford and a few others are close enough to be put together with Ledford, OG, ND and CD for a new 3A league.

1A could be the current YVC plus ER, TW Andrews and Thomasville.
All good examples. What I was kind getting at is Randolph county will have a lot of 2A schools with SWR dropping to let ER and possibly 2 other 1As (Andrews being one) in and the rivalries and gates would still exist. Not to mention the cutdown on travel for ER. But no one knows exactly what the powers that be have in mind...

Reactions: Wow71
I think bylaws state it has to be done every 4 years. Which means it would have taken a vote for it to not happen.

I doubt it would have garnered the support it needed.

Some sort of realignment would have been necessary this go around. Many things change in 4 years.

Reactions: Mhsneer
It's going to get a good amount out but not all. Reidsville numbers have dropped some I believe. They will be beneficiaries of the ISB and Wells Fargo. Outside of football I don't think they fair well in other sports.

I think classifying East and west separately has an even bigger impact than ISB and cup standings. I count 25 schools in 2A East projection with a lower score than the top of the 1A West projection.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
Actually moved Shelby to a 2A/3A with Burns

Burns
Shelby
Crest
West Lincoln
Lincolnton
Kings Mountain

Could add another Gaston school or 2.

That would be a fun football conference.

When I did it I sort of mapped it with ease of travel too and running major corridors.
Now that’s more like it. But I would add East Gaston and Hunter Huss and put Crest and KM in an all 3A. No need to have a split conference if you don’t need it. Ideally I’d like the Big South to simply swap out Huss for South Point but if West Charlotte, West Meck and Harding is added that makes 10 teams so Crest and KM could instead go in with East Lincoln, North Lincoln, some Catawba County teams, maybe Freedom or Lake Norman Charter.
I’d like the SWC to add Lincolnton and West Lincoln and swap out South Point for Huss.

Last edited:
I would like the 5 1a team conference because we could play alot of new teams but it might be difficult on our coaches to find 7 games.
1a/2a split would probably be best and look like this.
7 teams
2a Franklin
2a Smoky
2a Cherokee co
1a Robbinsville
1a swain
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee

Or
7 teams
2a Franklin/smoky
2a Cherokee co
1a swain
1a Robbinsville
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee
1a Rosman
Or
8 teams
2a smoky
2a Franklin
2a Cherokee co
1a swain
1a Robbinsville
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee
1a Rosman

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I would like the 5 1a team conference because we could play alot of new teams but it might be difficult on our coaches to find 7 games.
1a/2a split would probably be best and look like this.
7 teams
2a Franklin
2a Smoky
2a Cherokee co
1a Robbinsville
1a swain
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee

Or
7 teams
2a Franklin/smoky
2a Cherokee co
1a swain
1a Robbinsville
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee
1a Rosman
Or
8 teams
2a smoky
2a Franklin
2a Cherokee co
1a swain
1a Robbinsville
1a Hayesville
1a Cherokee
1a Rosman

That’s how I thought it might go for 2025 realignment, but I think the new school would just have to jump in to an existing conference for a year if it opens 2024. And I think Franklin, Smoky, and Pisgah are all projected 3A now, which makes things harder to predict. I guess if Mountain Six becomes a 2A/3A split Cherokee Co could go into that if it opens in 2024, and leave the SMC with five until next realignment.

That’s how I thought it might go for 2025 realignment, but I think the new school would just have to jump in to an existing conference for a year if it opens 2024. And I think Franklin, Smoky, and Pisgah are all projected 3A now, which makes things harder to predict. I guess if Mountain Six becomes a 2A/3A split Cherokee Co could go into that if it opens in 2024, and leave the SMC with five until next realignment.
From what I understand the new school is very unlikely to be completed by 2024.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Here's my stab at projecting conferences:
Why is Surry Central in the Northwest Conference ? Unless they are dropping to 1A, They are the only 2A team listed in the NWC. They should be with East Surry and North Surry, 2A Mountain Valley Conference.

If I read HSOT's projected classes right, I believe they have Surry Central projecting to be a 1A school
Just double checked and right now they have Surry Central as the largest 1A....on the bubble, so to speak, and the guy who wrote that article did say there could be discrepancies here and there, and if the 1A/2A line moves down in the West, teams like Surry Central, TW Andrews, Anson, Reidsville, Draughn are the top five currently listed as 1A, that could go up .if the line moves up

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Here's my stab at projecting conferences:
I LOVE your baseball stuff you do.

The problem I have with your football conference concerning Eastern Randolph is the same I mentioned before. That conference would have their closest game being at least an hour drive. Travel costs would be astronomical and gates sparse. The one right under that would be a much better fit logistically

Reactions: tarheelg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT