ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

Yep, good chance Thomasville and North Rowan would be small 1A from the looks of it though, obviously not the animal Tarboro is but those schools have no business being small 1A.
Was Thomasville not 1A is the 90's?
Seems like I remember Robbinsville taking them to the woodshed a time or two.

Reactions: UNC91 and BK13T-$
they would go with other charters

They will be placed in a conference. They've only been independent because they came in between realignment cycles.

There will also not be charter specific conferences. They'll be placed geographically just like everyone else which will put them with Mt. Airy.

They will be placed in a conference. They've only been independent because they came in between realignment cycles.

There will also not be charter specific conferences. They'll be placed geographically just like everyone else which will put them with Mt. Airy.
They have been playing sports since the 2016-17 season but you are right, they just got started too late to get put in a conference.

Was Thomasville not 1A is the 90's?
Seems like I remember Robbinsville taking them to the woodshed a time or two.
Robbinsville 35 Thomasville 22 in 1999. Thomasville was 144-15 while in 1A, I believe.
On a side note, that game at Robbinsville was my coldest. My wife and I camped after the game. Good game, even though we lost.

Here is one scenario

1A Conf 1
Reidsville
Bethany
Cornerstone
NCLA
WSPrep
Carver
Andrews
Thomasville
Bishop

1A Conf 2
Alleghany
Mt Airy
Millenium
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Surry Central
North Stokes
South Stokes

2A Conf 1
Ashe County
West Wilkes
North Wilkes
Wilkes Central
North Surry
Forbush

2A Conf 2
East Surry
West Stokes
North Forsyth
Walkertown
McMichael
Morehead

Rockingham schools have to be in there too. With them being the eastern most west county there really isn't anywhere else for the 1a and 2a schools to go except toward Winston/guilford.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Eastern Randolph has to go somewhere. They are off by themselves and closest to Davidson.

Eastern Randolph and North Moore end up in a split potentially.

This might be a mess.

Also have Anson which borders Stanly.

Here is one scenario

1A Conf 1
Reidsville
Bethany
Cornerstone
NCLA
WSPrep
Carver
Andrews
Thomasville
Bishop

1A Conf 2
Alleghany
Mt Airy
Millenium
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Surry Central
North Stokes
South Stokes

2A Conf 1
Ashe County
West Wilkes
North Wilkes
Wilkes Central
North Surry
Forbush

2A Conf 2
East Surry
West Stokes
North Forsyth
Walkertown
McMichael
Morehead

Rockingham schools have to be in there too. With them being the eastern most west county there really isn't anywhere else for the 1a and 2a schools to go except toward Winston/guilford.
If you want to ring the death knell for Thomasville athletics, that’s the way to do it. Football drives everything for the Bulldogs.
Trying to keep up with Reidsville would be fun, though very difficult. Playing Andrews and Carver would be a little bit intriguing. But we wouldn’t take twenty fans to those other places and wouldn’t have a hundred at home.
it will be what it will be. But I can’t think of any 1A conference that will provide more than one or two decent football gates. Unless we’re in a five or six team conference with more non-conference than conference games, four years of that will cripple Bulldog sports.

I tried diving in today on my off day to see what conferences might look like. Nick Stevens has a great map set up for it. Extremely overwhelming though. I just don't see how they'll avoid a good number of splits.

I tried diving in today on my off day to see what conferences might look like. Nick Stevens has a great map set up for it. Extremely overwhelming though. I just don't see how they'll avoid a good number of splits.
I think splits will be inevitable for this realignment. Have to factor in way to much travel cost other wise.

I don't know what the funds are right now but It would be really something if Millenium could get a football program I know the numbers arent there and maybe the money isn't there either but we'll see.

I think splits will be inevitable for this realignment. Have to factor in way to much travel cost other wise.

Exactly. Travel will have to be a huge emphasis this go around. Who knows how the next 4 years will be budget wise.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the game limits for some sports reduced from 23.

I'm sure Phil Berger is licking his chops preparing for education cuts as he brags about the finances of the state.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I don't know what the funds are right now but It would be really something if Millenium could get a football program I know the numbers arent there and maybe the money isn't there either but we'll see.
A rumor about 3 or 4 years ago was Millenium Charter was buying a parcel of land to eventually put a football field on and seems it was across the street from the school, but maybe not directly in front but close by. Not sure the deal went through but football is in their future. What would be a big surprise is if Coach Holder became the coach after his son playing college football graduates about the time they got football underway. I have not heard this but just me speculating. He could draw kids from a good distance away. I hear their school buses go as far south as King, NC south, and not sure what other bus routes go. Holder would not have a problem putting a winning team together.

Was waiting to see how long before you started your political bs.

I'm shooting you with the reality of what schools are about to face which will deeply impact this realignment. Don't call it poltical. I'm just advocating for our public schools.

A rumor about 3 or 4 years ago was Millenium Charter was buying a parcel of land to eventually put a football field on and seems it was across the street from the school, but maybe not directly in front but close by. Not sure the deal went through but football is in their future. What would be a big surprise is if Coach Holder became the coach after his son playing college football graduates about the time they got football underway. I have not heard this but just me speculating. He could draw kids from a good distance away. I hear their school buses go as far south as King, NC south, and not sure what other bus routes go. Holder would not have a problem putting a winning team together.

Would love to see what holder could do at a school like East wilkes or wilkes central. Schools that have speed yearly. Think they would be very good instantaneously with his pedigree.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Would love to see what holder could do at a school like East wilkes or wilkes central. Schools that have speed yearly. Think they would be very good instantaneously with his pedigree.
Coach Holder has to be approaching his 30 with NC, what would make perfectly good since would be for him to make the short drive to Virginia and double dip. Didn’t the MA basketball coach do that?

Coach Holder has to be approaching his 30 with NC, what would make perfectly good since would be for him to make the short drive to Virginia and double dip. Didn’t the MA basketball coach do that?
Mount Airy's Girl's Basketball Coach Howard Mayo left MA to coach at Galax High School around 3 years ago, and Angela Mayfield took over in the 2017- 2018 season and is still there. Mount Airy girls’ basketball won their state championship for the Granite Bears (30-2), and it came in Angela Mayfield’s first season as head coach after replacing Howard Mayo.

Last edited:
Here is one scenario

1A Conf 1
Reidsville
Bethany
Cornerstone
NCLA
WSPrep
Carver
Andrews
Thomasville
Bishop

1A Conf 2
Alleghany
Mt Airy
Millenium
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Surry Central
North Stokes
South Stokes

2A Conf 1
Ashe County
West Wilkes
North Wilkes
Wilkes Central
North Surry
Forbush

2A Conf 2
East Surry
West Stokes
North Forsyth
Walkertown
McMichael
Morehead

You forgot NE Guilford. They are an outlier, but closer to the Rockingham schools than the Davidson schools. Add them to the 2A conference with McMichael, Morehead, etc. If these were presented by the state I could see East Surry (and SCS) petitioning to go with the North Surry conference to keep consistency within the school district and keep more natural rivalries. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see Reidsville push to be in a split conference and play the other Rockingham schools than be in the 1A conference offered above.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I'd say Thomasville goes with, Davidson, Stanly and Rowan.
/QUOTE]

Man, that it bad news for the 1A/1AA west if Reidsville, Thomasville, TW Andrews and ER join the ranks. Combined with the top three SMC schools , N Rowan, and Mt Airy. The west just got a whole lot better.

IMO, Not sure this realignment process is actually going to promote "equity" among schools by dividing the poor city and small rural schools away from the bigger more money making county schools. Seems to be doing the opposite and setting things back a few decades.

Robbinsville 35 Thomasville 22 in 1999. Thomasville was 144-15 while in 1A, I believe.
On a side note, that game at Robbinsville was my coldest. My wife and I camped after the game. Good game, even though we lost.

I was there with my folks, probably the coldest game I remember as well. We stayed over night at a Holiday Inn because it so far. Fun trip besides the loss.😁

You forgot NE Guilford. They are an outlier, but closer to the Rockingham schools than the Davidson schools. Add them to the 2A conference with McMichael, Morehead, etc. If these were presented by the state I could see East Surry (and SCS) petitioning to go with the North Surry conference to keep consistency within the school district and keep more natural rivalries. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see Reidsville push to be in a split conference and play the other Rockingham schools than be in the 1A conference offered above.

I like to see that conference with Thomasville, Reidsville, Andrews, and Carver though we might end up in the Yadkin Valley again. Honestly could put Andrews in Yadkin with us too.

Reidsville will win a bunch of western regional championships in 1aa. It’ll be like tarboro in the East

Reactions: ocdavis31
Took a rough stab at western conferences tonight. So hard to tell. But just for fun:

Conference 1
Murphy
Hayesville
Andrews
Robbinsville
Swain
Cherokee
Rosman
Tri County EC
Highlands
Hiawassee
Nantahala
Blue Ridge EC

Conference 2 Split
Madison
Owen
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Avery
Draughn

Conference 3 Split
Ashe
Alleghany
Elkin
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
Starmount

Conference 4 Split
TJCA
Cherryville
Bessemer City
Piedmont Charter
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Shelby
East Gaston
MIC

Conference 5
Langtree Charter
Christ the King
Carolina International School
Cabarrus Charter
Covian
Queens Grant
Sugar Creek Charter
Bradford Prep

Conference 6 Split
Apprentice Academy
Union Academy
Monroe
Forrest Hills
Anson
West Stanly
South Stanly
Gray Stone
North Stanly
Ablemarle

Conference 7 Split
North Rowan
South Davidson
West Davidson
Lexington
East Davidson
Wheatmore
Trinity
Eastern Randolph

Conference 8 Split
Reidsville
Morehead
McMichael
North Stokes
South Stokes
NE Guilford
Bethany Community

Conference 9 Split
Bishop Mcguiness
Thomasville
TW Andrews
NCLA
Cornerstone
Winston Salem Prep
Carver
North Forsyth
Walkertown

Conference 10 Split
West Stokes
East Surry
Forbush
Surry Central
North Surry
Mt. Airy
Millennium Charter

Some teams are interchangeable to cut the splits down. I just did it based mainly on distance.

Took a rough stab at western conferences tonight. So hard to tell. But just for fun:

Conference 1
Murphy
Hayesville
Andrews
Robbinsville
Swain
Cherokee
Rosman
Tri County EC
Highlands
Hiawassee
Nantahala
Blue Ridge EC

Conference 2 Split
Madison
Owen
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Avery
Draughn

Conference 3 Split
Ashe
Alleghany
Elkin
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
Starmount

Conference 4 Split
TJCA
Cherryville
Bessemer City
Piedmont Charter
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Shelby
East Gaston
MIC

Conference 5
Langtree Charter
Christ the King
Carolina International School
Cabarrus Charter
Covian
Queens Grant
Sugar Creek Charter
Bradford Prep

Conference 6 Split
Apprentice Academy
Union Academy
Monroe
Forrest Hills
Anson
West Stanly
South Stanly
Gray Stone
North Stanly
Ablemarle

Conference 7 Split
North Rowan
South Davidson
West Davidson
Lexington
East Davidson
Wheatmore
Trinity
Eastern Randolph

Conference 8 Split
Reidsville
Morehead
McMichael
North Stokes
South Stokes
NE Guilford
Bethany Community

Conference 9 Split
Bishop Mcguiness
Thomasville
TW Andrews
NCLA
Cornerstone
Winston Salem Prep
Carver
North Forsyth
Walkertown

Conference 10 Split
West Stokes
East Surry
Forbush
Surry Central
North Surry
Mt. Airy
Millennium Charter

Some teams are interchangeable to cut the splits down. I just did it based mainly on distance.
Put Thomasville in Conference 7 and it would make sense.

Travel time seems about the same for them in both.

You could take the 3 1As in 7 and put them in 9 switching them for North and Walkertown.

Conferences with 9 or 10 teams will be fine since some schools don't play football.

Travel time seems about the same for them in both.

You could take the 3 1As in 7 and put them in 9 switching them for North and Walkertown.

Conferences with 9 or 10 teams will be fine since some schools don't play football.
Putting them in 7 would be tremendously different in terms of rivalries and gates.

Reactions: UNC91
I hope the NCHSAA takes that into consideration. Be interesting to see when they release intial alignments in 2 weeks.

When I did this, I aligned 4A and 3A also just so I could account for 2A/3A splits when I looked at 1A and 2A. There are several 3A programs that could be 4A that might suffer greatly from this.

I hope the NCHSAA takes that into consideration. Be interesting to see when they release intial alignments in 2 weeks.

When I did this, I aligned 4A and 3A also just so I could account for 2A/3A splits when I looked at 1A and 2A. There are several 3A programs that could be 4A that might suffer greatly from this.
Probably won’t. We had a successful appeal last go around in a very similar situation. The other conference teams supported the appeal, realizing how important it was to have Thomasville in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT