Shelby
Gaston Braves
Pineville
Lincoln County
Mint Hill
Union County
Huntersville

Last edited:
With today being the deadline to register, there is still several teams showing no registered. I guess we will know in a couple of days if all register.

Reactions: Hon Dines
They pushed the deadline back this year. I don't know if you have to pay a fee! I don't know if the state mandates a earlier date but in the national rule book this year it said........June 1 Deadline to register and purchase insurance online for 2018 season

They pushed the deadline back this year. I don't know if you have to pay a fee! I don't know if the state mandates a earlier date but in the national rule book this year it said........June 1 Deadline to register and purchase insurance online for 2018 season
There is a late fee for registration after yesterday.

Thanks for the info Hon. Everything looks accurate for Area IV. This is the first year that Burnsville has had an AL team.

Reactions: Hon Dines
There is a late fee for registration after yesterday.

I don't know if this has ever happened but iwhat if a team registers June 1st and says we want to play? All the schedules are made, teams have out of conference games......has this happened to anyone's knowledge?

OK Sportsnut17 I have a question that only you and maybe some of the people you know might be able to answer.

In the new charter schools landscape now in place, would a Legion team that draws from such a school have access to any player attending regardless of where the player lives?

If so, and I am not trying to start anything, a charter can draw players legally from some entire counties as well as HS in neighboring counties as long as in 25 mile radius. This could possibly include some players that actually live in school areas other Posts draw from.

Just curious about how this is actually being handled. Thanks

OK Sportsnut17 I have a question that only you and maybe some of the people you know might be able to answer.

In the new charter schools landscape now in place, would a Legion team that draws from such a school have access to any player attending regardless of where the player lives?

If so, and I am not trying to start anything, a charter can draw players legally from some entire counties as well as HS in neighboring counties as long as in 25 mile radius. This could possibly include some players that actually live in school areas other Posts draw from.

Just curious about how this is actually being handled. Thanks

I certainly don’t know for sure, but best guess is if charter is base school, yes, if not then closest base school to their home just like any other school.

Great question though! Will ask around.

Reactions: thekidd12
I certainly don’t know for sure, but best guess is if charter is base school, yes, if not then closest base school to their home just like any other school.

Great question though! Will ask around.
Thanks.

And by now you probably know I have an opinion on this but will hold off until answer.

This seems to cover it: There is a provision for boarding school players, but I do not see a charter school as that.

Teams may select non-base school players whose parents’ or guardians’ domiciles are nearest the team’s base school. To determine the nearest team, use the shortest driving distance as calculated by Google Maps. Teams may select player(s) who qualify under Rule 4.C.

I really see no option other than what is stated above. A team up here has had players for years with Forsyth Country Day players, no different than a charter, they played where they were closest or got releases.

Your turn.

This seems to cover it: There is a provision for boarding school players, but I do not see a charter school as that.

Teams may select non-base school players whose parents’ or guardians’ domiciles are nearest the team’s base school. To determine the nearest team, use the shortest driving distance as calculated by Google Maps. Teams may select player(s) who qualify under Rule 4.C.

I really see no option other than what is stated above. A team up here has had players for years with Forsyth Country Day players, no different than a charter, they played where they were closest or got releases.

Your turn.
My turn?

Man I got nothing except...

Just doesn't seem right, and you know I am fairly old, for a player to be able to play for a team just because he is attending a school he chooses to go to. The base school of an athlete should be based on where they live not where their parents want it to be. Looks like this would give some Legion teams the advantage of drawing from schools that have a concentrated group of players that actually may live in other Posts area.

As I said just doesn't seem right.

My turn?

Man I got nothing except...

Just doesn't seem right, and you know I am fairly old, for a player to be able to play for a team just because he is attending a school he chooses to go to. The base school of an athlete should be based on where they live not where their parents want it to be. Looks like this would give some Legion teams the advantage of drawing from schools that have a concentrated group of players that actually may live in other Posts area.

As I said just doesn't seem right.

Who is using Uwharrie Charter as base school?

Was not specifically speaking of Uwharrie just all Charters in general.

Think Uwharrie is associated with Asheboro, excuse me Randolph County. :D
I will go back to my original statement, if a charter school is not base school, the players have to play to closest program to their home address. Dang all of WSFCS schools are pretty much open enrollment. But as I said Forsyth Country Day is no different than a charter, come from all over Forsyth County and surrounding counties. They must play for closest base school or go through releases.

How does Asheboro claim Uwharrie? If you can handle enrollment they have to play for you, unless you release them.

OBTW, I guarantee you I’m older, even if you are old.

Reactions: thekidd12
A little scenario. Say a kid lives in Hickory and attends the Christ School. That kid has a option. He can either play for the team closest to his parents Domicile in Hickory or use his high school and play for the team closest to his high school.

Brooklawn in New Jersey has always been a power in American Legion Baseball. Why? Because in Brooklawn you have a school called Gloucester Catholic high school and some of the best players from around the state would attend that high school. So now you have a stud high school with low enrollment and then you can pick and choose what public high school you want to take players from.

There is nothing stopping a coach from going down to Latin America grabbing players putting them in his town and calling it a private post grad school and adding those kids to his legion team.

A little scenario. Say a kid lives in Hickory and attends the Christ School. That kid has a option. He can either play for the team closest to his parents Domicile in Hickory or use his high school and play for the team closest to his high school.

So now you have a stud high school with low enrollment and then you can pick and choose what public high school you want to take players from.

^^^^This.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT