ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball NC State Tournament

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
With the results of games tonight we know the 8 teams that will be at the State Tournament in Cherryville. They are:
Area I: Kinston, Fuquary Varina
Area II: Wilmington
Area III: Randolph County, Davidson County
Area IV: Cherryville, Gaston Braves, Union County

Dates: HR Derby - Thursday, July 25th 7:30PM
Tournament Play - July 26-30

The tournament will be pool play. There will be 4 games scheduled on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The two top teams from each of the two pools will advance to the two semi-final games on Monday with the semi-final winners advancing to Tuesday's championship game.

Costs:
$40 for a tournament pass which includes the HR Derby and all 15 games. The cost is $7 for individual games, $5 for the HR Derby.

Radio Coverage:
KTC Broadcasting (KTCBroadcasting.com) will broadcast the entire event (all games and the HR Derby) on WCSL Cherryville 1590AM, 92.3FM with live video on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Pools and Game Schedule
Stars

Randolph County (30-7)
Cherryville (27-10)
Kinston (20-4)
Union County (19-9)

Stripes
Wilmington (19-1)
Fuquary-Varina (22-4)
Davidson County (20-9)
Gaston Braves (20-9)

Schedule:
Friday

10:30 Wilmington vs Gaston Braves
1:30 Fuquay-Varina vs Davidson County
4:30 Randolph County vs Union County
7:30 Cherryville vs Kinston

Saturday
10:30 Randolph vs Kinston
1:30 Gaston Braves vs Davidson County
4:30 Cherryville vs Union County
7:30 Wilmington vs Fuquay-Varina

Sunday
11:00 Fuquay-Varina vs Gaston Braves
2:00 Union County vs Kinston
4:30 Wilmington vs Davidson County
7:30 Cherryville vs Randolph County

Monday
4:30 First Semi-final
7:30 Second Semi-final

Tuesday
7:00 Championship

Last edited:
Wilmington having lost only one game, WOW !
Post 10 is always tough.
It looks to me like all participants are going to be competitive.
Either Of the Area IV team’s could probably beat the other teams from Area IV.
I look forward to it.

Question... How do they determine who the host will take the place of?

Area II has only one representative, whereas the host Cherryville, is one of 3 teams from Area IV.

I’m sure there’s a good reason. I just want to understand why.

I think it was Area II’s turn to host but they couldn’t or wouldn’t. So the host area got their normal two representatives plus the host team.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
I think it was Area II’s turn to host but they couldn’t or wouldn’t. So the host area got their normal two representatives plus the host team.

That's correct. Since no team from Area II submitted a bid, bids were allowed to be submitted from the other three areas. Cherryville from Area IV was one of the bids and their bid was chosen. The penalty for Area II not hosting is they are allowed only one team this year and Area IV is allowed three.

Cherryville ended up winning the Area IV championship over the Gaston Braves, so Union County is the 3rd team in from Area IV and the actual replacement for the Area II 2nd team.

Last edited:
need to have 9 teams in the state tournament .2 from each area plus the host team.
I disagree. Someone from each area should be able to host- it's only once every four years. I think the state's current setup is appropriate. Nine teams would complicate scheduling whether using divisions as they do now, or with the double elimination they used in the past.

Score of Friday's last game:

Cherryville 10 Kinston 1....Cherryville hit 3 HRs and their pitching allowed one unearned run on 2 hits, striking out 16.

Last edited:
Saturday Results

Kinston 5 Randolph 4

Gaston Braves 10 Davidson County 6

Cherryville 1 Union County 0

Fuquay Varina 3 Wilmington 2

Pool Standings after two days:

Stars
Cherryville 2-0
Kinston 1-1
Randolph County 1-1
Union County 0-2

Stripes
Fuquay-Varina 2-0
Wilmington 1-1
Gaston Braves 1-1
Davidson County 0-2

Three out of four of Saturday’s games were decided by one run. Now, that’s baseball !

Three out of four of Saturday’s games were decided by one run. Now, that’s baseball !

Yeah, some great games. Cherryville looks to be in good shape to make the semi-finals with their 2-0 record and having given up only 1 run in two games. The tiebreaker if 3 teams were to end up tied is the least amount of runs allowed.

Last edited:
Linkman, I got to see some of the games and tuned in via radio or internet to others. You guys are doing a really good job of broadcasting. I saw Fuquay Varina and Wilmington, Saturday night, and got to listen to your commentary on my way home on the Gaston Braves-FV game being played, now. You were spot on about this one.
By the way, why does FV have Garner on their Flag jersies ?

Last edited:
Curious as to how you would arrange the format of a 9 team tournament.
first year of the state tournament in 2000 they played a 9 team double elimination tournament. host team wouldn't have been in the tournament if they hadn't have been host. , host team played 2nd seed in their area

Linkman, I got to see some of the games and tuned in via radio or internet to others. You guys are doing a really good job of broadcasting. I saw Fuquay Varina and Wilmington, Saturday night, and got to listen to your commentary on my way home on the Gaston Braves-FV game being played, now. You were spot on about this one.
By the way, why does FV have Garner on their Flag jersies ?

Fuquay Varina is the Garner program.. They changed their name this year.....don't know why. I know they do get some of their players from the Fuquay Varina area. If you are going to the Cherryville game tonight be advised everything is running behind. The Cherryville/Randolph County game scheduled for 7:30 probably won't get started until around 8:30 or 9:00. The 3rd game of the day just got started at 6:15.

Sunday Results

Gaston Braves 8 Fuquay Varina 7 (10 innings)

Union County 9 Kinston 6

Wilmington 7 Davidson County 1

Randolph County 5 Cherryville 4

Final Pool Standings:
Stars

Randolph County 2-1*
Cherryville 2-1*
Union County 1-2
Kinston 1-2

Stripes
Wilmington 2-1*
Fuquay Varina 2-1*
Gaston Braves 2-1
Davidson County 0-3

* - Advance to the semi-finals

Last edited:
Monday's Semi-final Schedule

4:30 Randolph County vs Fuquay Varina

7:30 Wilmington vs Cherryville

Last edited:
format needs to changed next year. gaston braves beat fuquay- varina. sunday, but the game didnt meet anything. FV is still playing and braves went home.

Semi-final preview:
Pitching

Coaches from all four teams have done an excellent job of managing their pitching staff through the first three games. All four coaches in their first game of the tournament pulled their aces prior to reaching pitch counts that would have prevented them pitching later in the tournament. Randolph County, Fuquay Varina, and Wilmington all took their game 1 starters out prior to reaching the 61 pitch count which gives them the option of using them in the semi-finals or the championship game. It will be interesting to see if any start on the mound today.

Cherryville took their game 1 starter out after the 61 pitch count but before the 81 pitch count which makes him available for the championship game only. However, pitching is the strength of this Cherryville team which has 4 quality starters with little difference between their #1 and #4. Their #3 and #4 starters are both available for today's semi-final after coach Reynolds chose to pitch by committee with non-starters last night against Randolph County in a game they could afford to lose and still make it to the semi-finals. Their closer is also available to pitch Monday and Tuesday, if needed.

For the tournament Cherryville pitching has allowed a total of 6 runs, Wilmington 11, Randolph County 12, and Fuquay-Varina 12.

Offense
Total runs scored in the tournament for the 4 teams:
Fuquay Varina - 22
Wilmington - 21
Randolph County - 16
Cherryville - 15 (Cherryville has the lowest run total but has hit the most HRs - 4)

Bottom line, I expect two low scoring semi-final games today.

Last edited:
Wilmington wins 14-12 in a wild game

It was an unusual game with Wilmington dominating for the first 4 innings of play. For Cherryville Post 100 fans (like me) it got ugly real quick as Wilmington put 8 runs on the board in the first inning, then added single runs in the 2nd and 3rd to go up 10-0. Meanwhile Wilmington SP Alex Sniffen was mowing down the Cherryville hitters carrying a no-hitter into the 5th inning having struck out 11 in 4 innings. It looked like Post 100 was going to be mercy ruled in 5 innings and possibly be no-hit as well.

However, Cherryville finally got to Sniffen for 3 runs in the 5th. They added 2 more in the top of the 6th as Sniffen hit the 105 pitch limit and had to exit the game. That made it 10-5. Wilmington came back with 4 runs in the bottom of the 6th to make the score 14-5 and put the game out of reach....or I thought so.

Robbie Cowie led off the top of the 7th with a HR and Cherryville bats came alive as they scored 7 runs, the last 3 coming on Wes Reynolds' two out 3 run HR to make the score 14-12 Wilmington retired the next hitter to finally end the game.

Last edited:
Linkman, thanks for the rundown on the game. I had to work and didn’t get to go.
Thanks for all the Info on Post 100, this season, and.hats off to you and Milton and the Broadcasting Corp for a great job.
As always, maybe next year.
Congrats to Wilmington and Fuquay-Varina (Garner).

format needs to be changed next year. braves beat garner, but game didnt mean anything. semi-finals and finals shouldnt single elimination,

Pool play for baseball is dumb.

In fact, I don't even like a double elimination tournament. Just play series all the way through for states.

I can see double elimination tournament for World Series and regionals however.

Wilmington wins the State Championship

Wilmington 11 Fuquay Varina 5

Wilmington scored 8 runs in the first inning for the 2nd consecutive day and for the 3rd time in the State Tournament. They will be a strong representative in the Regional Tournament in Asheboro.

Linkman and others,

Thanks for the scores and updates on the State Championship. I looked forwards to it each day. Hopefully someone will keep us informed during the Regional.

Pool play for baseball is dumb.

In fact, I don't even like a double elimination tournament. Just play series all the way through for states.

I can see double elimination tournament for World Series and regionals however.
before the year 2000. area 4 champion played area champion 3 , 7 game series and area 1 and 2 play 7 game series , winner play 7 game series for state champion, area finals and sem-finals were 7 game series. first 2 rounds were 5 game series. to win the state you had to win 2 ,5 game series and 4 , 7 game series. back then all areas had 16 playoff teams 8 in each division. had division championship series because you didn't cross over and it 7 game series. I remember having over 2000 fans at the area final for each game.

world series was 5 game series at one time between Stanly County and San Diego ,not sure how they would have played series with 50 state champions unless some of small states played a 5 games to eliminate all but 32 teams. It would have taken 5 series to reduce 32 teams to a national champion after the small states played each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT