ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball NC State Tournament

OK. I'm posting the "final" schedule here (version 3):

Friday’s games
Game 1: Wilmington (19-3) vs Garner (24-5) 9 a.m.

Game 2: Shelby (22-8) vs Randolph County (27-7) noon

Game 3: Cherryville (31-6) vs Rowan County 31-3) 4 p.m.

Game 4: Pitt County (25-4) vs Hope Mills 17-7) 7:30 p.m.

Saturday’s games
Game 5: Wilmington/Garner loser vs Cherryville/Rowan loser 9:30 a.m.

Game 6: Shelby/Randolph loser vs Pitt/Hope Mills loser 12:30 p.m.

Game 7: Wilmington/Garner winner vs Cherryville/Rowan winner 4:30 p.m.

Game 8: Shelby/Randolph winner vs Pitt/Hope Mills winner 7:30 p.m.

Sunday’s games
Game 9: Game 6 winner vs Game 7 loser, 12:30 p.m.

Game 10: Game 5 winner vs Game 8 loser, 4:30 p.m.

Game 11: Game 7 winner vs Game 8 winner, 7:30 p.m.

Monday’s games
Game 12 – 1 p.m.

Game 13 – 7 p.m.

(Pairing for G12 & 13 will not match previous opponents against each other unless necessary)

Tuesday’s games
Game 14 – 1 p.m.

Game 15 – 7 p.m.(if necessary)

Last edited:
"We've been informed by a Legion representative that there may be bracket changes for days 2,3,4 and 5 of the state tournament. Stay tuned." This was posted on Twitter a few minutes ago by Mike London, Salisbury post.

I've contributed to the negative by turning the knife, but I can definitely assure you that there is still WAY more right with Legion baseball than wrong. There are very real frustrations, and often things that can be avoided; however, I absolutely loved playing Legion baseball and coaching for many years. Wouldn't go back and trade any year that I was involved to avoid any of the adult inflicted grief and I suffered a couple of occasions of extremely crooked crap that most people can't imagine happening. People ask me often if I miss it. I definitely miss a new crop of kids each summer, but the cool thing is I'm still in touch with past players on a regular basis. If people on the outside of the fence better understood what goes on inside the fence, the game would only be that much better. Getting it wrong as a coach for a season is a miserable place, but when you get it right, it really is a thing of beauty!! Some of our best teams had no business being on the field with some teams from an athletic perspective, but I got a huge kick out of making them believe we could give the Yankees a good game.

I've contributed to the negative by turning the knife, but I can definitely assure you that there is still WAY more right with Legion baseball than wrong. There are very real frustrations, and often things that can be avoided; however, I absolutely loved playing Legion baseball and coaching for many years. Wouldn't go back and trade any year that I was involved to avoid any of the adult inflicted grief and I suffered a couple of occasions of extremely crooked crap that most people can't imagine happening. People ask me often if I miss it. I definitely miss a new crop of kids each summer, but the cool thing is I'm still in touch with past players on a regular basis. If people on the outside of the fence better understood what goes on inside the fence, the game would only be that much better. Getting it wrong as a coach for a season is a miserable place, but when you get it right, it really is a thing of beauty!! Some of our best teams had no business being on the field with some teams from an athletic perspective, but I got a huge kick out of making them believe we could give the Yankees a good game.
Well stated, coach. I love baseball but as a fan I enjoy legion baseball the most. As a Cherryville Post 100 fan I see so many ex-legion players at the games, some who go inside the fence to be on the bench to chat with Coach Reynolds during the game. It's definitely a family.

You are so right about how satisfying it is for a team to over achieve and beat more talented teams. I've witnessed that with the Cherryville team this year. Union County and the Gaston Braves were considered the most talented teams in Area IV. Coming off of a disappointing year in which Post 100 had a losing season for the first time since 1996, expectations were not that high. It didn't help when six of the 2016 players with remaining eligibility didn't sign up to play this year (5 by choice, 1 due to injury). But Coach Reynolds molded a team together with the players he had and unbelievably they are a 30 win team, the Area IV champion and going to the state tournament.

They are facing a tough opponent in game 1. Coach Reynolds, his staff and fans have much respect for Rowan County and their program. But you can count on the fact Coach Reynolds has his team believing they can play with anyone and have just a good chance as any team in the tournament.

Last edited:
I've always said that Reynolds gets more out of his players than any other coach I've seen.

We should know the tournament seeding for this year and the future as well. A rotating match-up for the first day of each State Tournament is the only way to avoid tampering. I'm not a conspiracy theorist either. Good structure helps avoid bad decisions. Why would we accept anything other than a rotating schedule??
the 2 best teams should be seeded in a different bracket so they want play to the finals of winners bracket, the team that loses the finals of the winners brackets, loses the next day most of the time. for example, morehead city lost the winners final game in Jr legion in 2017 to s caldwell, but concord beat morehead city the next day and finished 2nd in the tournament. in other words they need to seed the 4 area champs

the 2 best teams should be seeded in a different bracket so they want play to the finals of winners bracket, the team that loses the finals of the winners brackets, loses the next day most of the time. for example, morehead city lost the winners final game in Jr legion in 2017 to s caldwell, but concord beat morehead city the next day and finished 2nd in the tournament. in other words they need to seed the 4 area champs
I am sure you have some great points to make in all your posts and you obviously care about baseball a lot which is a wonderful thing.

But I have to ask others if I am only one who reads some of your posts and goes HUH???

Last edited:
I am sure you have some great points to make in all your posts and you obviously care about baseball a lot which is a wonderful thing.

But I have to ask others if I am only one who reads some of your posts and goes HUH???

No, you are not alone. I think I'd have better luck solving a Rubik's Cube than deciphering some of those posts.

Reactions: thekidd12
Radio broadcasts for State Tournament:

I couldn't find anyone who is broadcasting Wilmington or Garner games so I couldn't listen to that game this morning. Anyone know if Pitt Co has a radio broadcast of their games?

Here is the radio info for broadcasts of Randolph Co, Rowan Co, Cherryville, and Shelby.

Randolph Co. - Sportstone.net

Rowan Co. - 1280WSAT.com

Cherryville and Shelby - KTCbroadcasting.com. There will be live video of the games as well as audio broadcasts on that website. The radio stations are WOHS-FM 101.5 (Shelby), WOHS-AM 1390 (Shelby), WCSL-AM 1590 (Cherryville) and WLON-AM 1050 (Lincolnton).

Last edited:
Game 1
Wilmington 5 Garner 4

- Garner scored 3 in the top of the 9th to wipe out a 3-1 Wilmington lead and go to the bottom of the 9th with a 4-3 lead.
- Wilmington scored 2 in the bottom of 9th to win it

Game 2
Randolph County 9 Shelby 5

3 HRs and 2 triples for Randolph...3 of Painter's 4 hits went for extra base hits (2 HRs, triple)

Game 3

Rowan County 9 Cherryville 3
Rowan scores 4 in the 8th and 3 in the 9th to wipe a 3-2 Cherryville lead after 7.

Game 4
Pitt County 6 Hope Mills 5

Last edited:
sense the area 4 champ won the jr tournament and area 3 champ finished 2nd, they should put the area 4 and area 3 champs next year in a different bracket. , so they cant play until the winners bracket finals.

Saturday's games:

Game 5: Garner vs Cherryville 9:00 a.m.

Game 6: Shelby vs Hope Mills 12:00 p.m.

Game 7: Wilmington vs Rowan County 4:00 p.m.

Game 8: Randolph County vs Pitt County 7:00 p.m.

Saturday's Results:

Game 5
Garner 7 Cherryville 3

Josh Jarman strikes out 14 Cherryville batters in 7 1/3 innings
Cherryville is eliminated

Game 6
Hope Mills 13 Shelby 11

7th inning lasted one hour. Teams combined for 15 runs, 10 hits, 7 walks, 2 hit batters and 2 errors.....Hope Mills scored 9 runs, Shelby 6 runs.
Shelby is eliminated

Game 7
Wilmington 12 Rowan County 11

- What a game....11 runs scored in the 9th inning (6 by Rowan in the top of the 9th to take a 11-7 lead, 5 in the bottom for Wilmington to walk off with the win).
- For the 2nd straight game Wilmington's Brad Pennington hits a HR to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th (3 run blast). Wilmington scores the winning run on a throwing error by Rowan in a run down situation with the runner caught between home and third.

Game 8
Randolph County 13 Pitt County 4

Six HRs hit in the game...3 by each team

Last edited:
A painful way for the season to end, but we're still Area IV champs and we did WAY better than anyone ever thought we would. Congrats to Coach Reynolds and his players on an outstanding season. Oh well, that's baseball!

Great seasons for both Cherryville and Shelby. Neither team was expected to do much. Looks like Area IV was watered down a little this year. Both should be in contention again next year.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Great seasons for both Cherryville and Shelby. Neither team was expected to do much. Looks like Area IV was watered down a little this year. Both should be in contention again next year.
Agreed. Both teams surprised a lot of fans and other teams and should come into next year with higher expectations and confidence. I hope all the eligible players will return for both teams next year.

Sunday's Schedule:

Game 9: Rowan County vs Hope Mills 12:30 p.m.
Elimination game

Game 10: Garner vs Pitt County 4:30 p.m.
Elimination game

Game 11: Wilmington vs Randolph County 7:30 p.m.

Sunday's Results:

Game 9: Rowan County 17 Hope Mills 3 (7 innings)
Hope Mills eliminated

Game 10: Pitt County 17 Garner 7 (7 innings)

Garner eliminated

Game 11: Game suspended with Randolph leading Wilmington 8-1 in bottom of 3rd. Game will resume at 1 p.m. tomorrow.

The Tournament officials have announced that:
The loser of Randolph Co./Wilmington will play Rowan Monday at 4 p.m.

The winner of Randolph Co./Wilmington will play Pitt Co. Monday at 7 p.m.

This is not how the match ups should be done. Both of the above match ups will have teams playing that have already played each other if Randolph wins the suspended game. The match ups should be Rowan vs Randolph and Wilmington vs Pitt County regardless of the outcome of Randolph/Wilmington game.

Last edited:
Why can't NC Legion get things right? Nice read here from Dennis Garcia Asheboro Paper.

http://www.courier-tribune.com/spor...nly-have-to-worry-about-what-happens-on-field
It is ridiculous how legion officials can get things that are simple and straight forward screwed up and create so much unnecessary confusion. I don't think the confusion is over.

They have already announced that Rowan will play the loser of the Randolph/Wilmington game and Pitt County will play the winner. Pairings for Game 12 and Game 13 should not match previous opponents unless absolutely necessary. If they do what they are announcing it's likely (since Randolph is winning big in the suspended game) that both of those games will have teams playing that have already played each other in the tournament. That's the wrong way to do it.

The match ups for the last two games tomorrow should be Randolph vs Rowan County and Wilmington vs Pitt County. So, more confusion Monday when they change it to get it right, IF they change it. I wouldn't bet on anything the way this tournament has been run.

Last edited:
Monday's Results or Sunday's suspended game:

GM 11 Randolph County 14 Wilmington 9

Last edited:
Well, it looks the Tournament officials are going to ignore the note on Day 4 about not matching up previous opponents. So instead of having no games with previously matched opponents, they chose to have rematches of two Saturday games:

GM 12 Rowan County vs Wilmington 4:00

GM 13 Randolph County vs Pitt County 7:00

I guess their biased thinking is that Randolph will rest their pitching and Pitt County will have a better chance of advancing. Unbelievable.

Legion baseball brackets are terrible. I have absolutely no dog in the fight. But the 3-0 team still has to play again today? Plus as you stated above if you have the no "same opponent" criteria, they screwed that up also. Smh!

concord played baregrass 2 times in 2016, but the clause saying no rematches, was posted at JR tournament in Mocksville this year. wouldnt have this issue if they would play a 16 team tournament, after 4 days one team would be 4-0 and 4 teams would be 3-1 , the 4-0 team , could get double bye to championship day.,

GM 12 Wilmington 9 Rowan County 8
Wilmington scores in the bottom of the 9th for the win. All 3 of their wins in the tournament have been walk off wins in the bottom of the 9th. Rowan left 19 men on base.
Rowan County is eliminated.

GM 13 Randolph County 13 Pitt County 5

Pitt County is eliminated.

Since Randolph County is hosting and will be playing in the SE Regional, if they win the State Tournament the tournament runner up will advance to the SE Regional. So regardless of Tuesday's outcome both Wilmington and Randolph County will be going to the SE Regional.

Tuesday's schedule:
GM 14 Randolph County vs Wilmington 1:00

GM 15 (Only if Wilmington defeats Randolph in the 1:00 game) - 30 minutes after the completion of the first game

Last edited:
Congrats to Randolph County who is the 2017 NC State Champion!
Randolph County 16 Wilmington 2 (7 innings)

Randolph goes through the tournament winning 5 games without a loss, with an average victory margin of 8 runs per game.

Wilmington, as runner up also advances to play in the SE Regional as the 2nd NC team in addition to Randolph who is the host.

Last edited:
Congratulations to all those young men. I know a whole lot of them personally and very happy for their success.

Should still be called Asheboro though. :cool:

Well, it looks the Tournament officials are going to ignore the note on Day 4 about not matching up previous opponents. So instead of having no games with previously matched opponents, they chose to have rematches of two Saturday games:

GM 12 Rowan County vs Wilmington 4:00

GM 13 Randolph County vs Pitt County 7:00

. wilmington and pitt county lost to randolph 2 teams, so you dont know who the 2nd best team is because Pitt county and wilmingtion didnt play each other. wouldnt have that issue if they would have played each other, Monday.

Congratulations to Randolph County. This is quiet the opportunity for Post 45.They're the state's best team and are going into the regionals at home. It would not shock me to see them playing in Shelby.

Reactions: Post 36
Congratulations to Randolph County. This is quiet the opportunity for Post 45.They're the state's best team and are going into the regionals at home. It would not shock me to see them playing in Shelby.
I agree. Eight of the past nine years the SE Regional winner has been either NC or SC. I would say Randolph County is the favorite at this point.

Linkman, for what seemed like a long time the SE Regional champ was either Florida or Puerto Rico. I'm thinking like that began to change when Rowan defeated Florida in 1996, Sanford Florida won the world series in 1997, then (Sanford) was beaten out by Cherryville in 1998 regional. Since then, Florida has won only something like two regionals.

Linkman, for what seemed like a long time the SE Regional champ was either Florida or Puerto Rico. I'm thinking like that began to change when Rowan defeated Florida in 1996, Sanford Florida won the world series in 1997, then (Sanford) was beaten out by Cherryville in 1998 regional. Since then, Florida has won only something like two regionals.
I remember those times. Puerto Rico is no longer in the SE Regional. Florida was the state besides NC and SC that won one in the past 9 years (2014).

Reactions: Lincolnton
Southeast Regional Schedule in Asheboro, NC

Wednesday, August 2
Game 1: 9:30 West Virginia vs Georgia
Game 2: 12:30 Kentucky vs South Carolina
Game 3: 4:30 Alabama vs Wilmington, NC
Game 4: 7:30 Florida vs Randolph County, NC
Thursday, August 3
Game 5: 9:30
Game 6: 12:30
Game 7: 4:30
Game 8: 7:30
Friday, August 4
Game 9: 12:30
Game 10: 4:30
Game 11: 7:30
Saturday, August 5
Game 12: 4:30
Game 13: 7:30
Sunday, August 6
Game 14: 1:30
Game 15: 4:30 if necessary

Does anyone know who submitted bids to host the NC State Tournament next year? I know it is Area III's turn in the rotation.

Last edited:
Linkman, thanks for the information on the southeast regional. The only teams I know of doing well in their state tournaments were Inman and Florence, SC, and I think I got that information from what you had put on here. I'd read the Alabama state champs are from troy. If you know of any other teams and their towns post it if you get a chance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT