ADVERTISEMENT

National anthem protests in WNC games

Why can't we have this discussion? Everyone else is, has and will keep on. You can't hide anything from kids anymore. Heck my grandson seems to know what's going on in the world before me. I guess cause I'm new to technology. I personally think people should stand if they can. Protest by other means is my philosophy. Don't disagree in what is said but not the action. Too many veterans fought for this country to protest like that. Anthem means so much to them. A lot of veterans take that as a sign of disrespect to what they fought for. I think the message is lost in how they are protesting.

A lot of veterans also understand it is their God given right to kneel. Not saying I agree with it but I think you'd be surprised at how many veterans respect their right to protest. That's what veterans fight for.

A lot of veterans also understand it is their God given right to kneel. Not saying I agree with it but I think you'd be surprised at how many veterans respect their right to protest. That's what veterans fight for.
I respect what your saying. But I don't agree. But that is part of what I love about America.Everyone has that right to disagree. Imagine if you lived where that right was taken away. Where you couldn't stand or kneel. Maybe that's why our country is divided nobody understands that those rights can be taken away if you lived elsewhere. Oh well the debate will go on. Just my two sense, have a great day.

Agree or disagree every American has the right to their own. I just think we need stop dividing ourselves. I have my own political views but I am not going to argue about it. Allow people that right. We are not one mold, we are free thinking Americans.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It is their right,just bad ,no respect IMO.
I think sports in US is going to be torn apart with politics sooner or later,hope I'm wrong.
If I'm season ticket holder in NFL of 30,000 a year box seats I don't won't to hear Any politics from either side at games. Find another venue or better I can stay home and they can continue with protest.

The Law on Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

Also in the NFL RULE BOOK
The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states:
“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”

Last edited:
Hope everyone reads this because the challenge is on me. Being a United States citizen I STAND for our flag. I am proud of who I am as an American. That is about all I have to be proud of... Let's see who else has the guts like this as a true American and you stand for the Flag and hear the National Anthem it warms your heart and makes you a proud American ! ! !
USA
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
USA ...Who can like or repost showing you respect the Flag ,The National Anthem and the Americans that have died for that Flag and all of us Americans.

Last edited:
I completely DISAGREE with any kind of protesting or disrespecting of our flag whether it's during the anthem or any time. With that being said, on the subject of high schoolers doing it, I just don't think that they're educated enough at that age about the real world yet to form an honest opinion on issues such as what we're seeing in the world right now. I think it would just be a case of copying their so called icons or role models in professional leagues. Hell, they're not even old enough to vote yet. I know when I was in high school, politics was the last thing on my mind. Girls, hanging out with my friends, partying, and sports were my life! As it should've been. If you're going to stand on the controversial side of something, just please be thoroughly educated exactly what about what it is that you're standing for or you just shouldn't do it at all. Just my two cents.

As a Veteran, I understand that Americans have the right to express themselves as they choose, and I as an American have the right to tune in or tune off what I perceive to be disrespectful to our Country, and this whole issue of not standing for our flag when Thousands of Soldiers have given their lives in honor of this country with many of those coming home with that Flag draped across their coffins leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see people either burning or disrespecting our Flag...Our Country is truly divided, and I fear it will stay as such until another great tragedy like 9/11 or Lord forbid another World War galvanizes our Country as it did during World War 2....

As for the NFL, they are clearly breaking their own rules as noted above, and I as a Veteran will NO LONGER SUPPORT THE NFL!

That's my choice as an American!

I bet Roger Goodell has never read the NFL rule book or don't believe in in the NFL rules. If so he would have fined Colin Kaepernick in 2015 and it would have never reached this point. They need to cut his salary in half this time . May he will take a hint and leave. This is from 2016.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/news/companies/roger-goodell-pay/index.html
Just clarifying that it didn’t reach this level because of Kaepernick. Honestly (and you can check) there was no more than a hand full of players protesting before this weekend. Fast forward to the POTUS calling everyone an SOB and then you have 250 protesting. I believe everyone has a right to protest. Kneeling is understandably disrespectful but during the Cowboys game they kneeled before the anthem and were still booed. I just think POTUS needs to be unifying the country and not dividing us on these issues.

Reactions: red devil knight
I think Andrews coach summarized it best from the article.
“Anytime you’ve called fellow Americans SOBs, particularly when the protesters are majority black, you’ve completely missed the point,” Phillips said. “It’s easy to bury your head in the sand as a white coach, but I want to seek and understand. The best way to solve this issue is to stop being so reactionary and more compassionate. It’s about being advocates for each other.”

Just clarifying that it didn’t reach this level because of Kaepernick. Honestly (and you can check) there was no more than a hand full of players protesting before this weekend. Fast forward to the POTUS calling everyone an SOB and then you have 250 protesting. I believe everyone has a right to protest. Kneeling is understandably disrespectful but during the Cowboys game they kneeled before the anthem and were still booed. I just think POTUS needs to be unifying the country and not dividing us on these issues.
My point was if Kaepernick had been fined the 1 million $$$ the first time he took a knee then it would have probably ended then and POTUS should have left out the SOB part . I did not like that. I have never call anyone a SOB because your talking about the other person if you know what I mean,want say it on here.After all he did break an NFL rule that had a 1 million $ fine . Also it was growing weekly and Roger should have inforced the rule and fine. Trump needs to cool it now because the fans are dropping weekly and they will handle it. I apreciate your point .

Last edited:
Please watch all of this video. It is the history of our Flag and the National Anthem and why from the beginning of our history there is a reason to stand,hand over heart because so many have died protecting our great Nation and that Flag and every person living in the United States of America from when we became a country to this day.... This used to be in our history book but probably not today. I do remember if well and it still means a lot to me today ! This is all I need to say on this thread as is says it all....

Last edited:
Guess I'll be the 1st minority to comment.

1st of all. Everyone who says kneeling is disrespectful to the flag STOP IT! When you're at home and the national anthem is played, do you stand up? All the protestors have said for the 10000000000 time. It's nothing to do with the flag, they support the military. Its about the continue injustices thats plagued America for over 200 years. It's not hard. Alll we want is equity, stop bringing up the flag. You're using the flag as a distraction and avoiding the real conversations. Police brutality and systematic discrimination by the judicial system. We know America is a great nation. What's wrong with citizens wanting a better, more equal America? My experiences in America will be different from yours so please reframe from telling me or others like me how to express ourselves

Agree or disagree every American has the right to their own. I just think we need stop dividing ourselves. I have my own political views but I am not going to argue about it. Allow people that right. We are not one mold, we are free thinking Americans.
Tell Trump that. How can a person running for president to become the Commander In Chief disrespect a Gold Star Family and now he want another war to kill more troops and he worrying about pro athletes standing up for people being killed by cops for no reasons and getting away with it. America is suppose to be equal treatment for all regardless of color. A lot of those ball players parent where in the military and for you who doesn't know a veteran of the military told them to express their angry about the killing the way they are doing by kneeling and also look up the Star Spangle Banner and read the entire verses that they don't play.

As a Veteran, I understand that Americans have the right to express themselves as they choose, and I as an American have the right to tune in or tune off what I perceive to be disrespectful to our Country, and this whole issue of not standing for our flag when Thousands of Soldiers have given their lives in honor of this country with many of those coming home with that Flag draped across their coffins leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see people either burning or disrespecting our Flag...Our Country is truly divided, and I fear it will stay as such until another great tragedy like 9/11 or Lord forbid another World War galvanizes our Country as it did during World War 2....

As for the NFL, they are clearly breaking their own rules as noted above, and I as a Veteran will NO LONGER SUPPORT THE NFL!

That's my choice as an American!
Brother the constitution over ride standing for a song your 1st Amendment Right is just as important to some people as the 2nd Amendment Right is to others. Just because you have the right to buy guns do you have to take them to rallies or demonstrations to try to intimidate people? If you didn't learn this in your history class in high school well then again they only teach American history with what they want you to know anyway the first person to die for this country was an African-American from Mass.

Brother the constitution over ride standing for a song your 1st Amendment Right is just as important to some people as the 2nd Amendment Right is to others. Just because you have the right to buy guns do you have to take them to rallies or demonstrations to try to intimidate people? If you didn't learn this in your history class in high school well then again they only teach American history with what they want you to know anyway the first person to die for this country was an African-American from Mass.

I don't go to rallys, and never have, and probably never will....Maybe, you do, and that's your choice just as it's my choice to NOT support the NFL for not following their own rules...I'm not going to get into a debate with you about police brutality because this thread is about respect for our country and our flag....If someone wants to debate police brutality, they should use another venue, and not use the symbol that is suppose to unite us as AMERICANS!

When those coffins come back from wars, and that 21 gun salute is given for those brave soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrafice, and were protecting all of our Freedoms, we don't care if they are Black, White, Native Americans, Mexican-American, Japanese-American or whatever mixed ethic culture they might be related too....All we care, and all we should care about is that they are AMERICANS first and foremost...

That's all I have to say about this subject, Brother!

Guess I'll be the 1st minority to comment.

1st of all. Everyone who says kneeling is disrespectful to the flag STOP IT! When you're at home and the national anthem is played, do you stand up? All the protestors have said for the 10000000000 time. It's nothing to do with the flag, they support the military. Its about the continue injustices thats plagued America for over 200 years. It's not hard. Alll we want is equity, stop bringing up the flag. You're using the flag as a distraction and avoiding the real conversations. Police brutality and systematic discrimination by the judicial system. We know America is a great nation. What's wrong with citizens wanting a better, more equal America? My experiences in America will be different from yours so please reframe from telling me or others like me how to express ourselves

How do you know that your experiences are different than mine? Just because of our different skin color? I grew up poor, and being from a certain area, had a lot of stigma attached to me. I lived in Charlotte for a while, and nothing I saw reflected anything resembling police racism. I was apprehended by white and black officers, and my black friends were too. We were treated equal, both being miscreants with little regard for the law. As a matter of fact, one of my black friends was treated much better than me because he could hide his normal dialect, whilst I could not. Our country doesn't have a racism problem, the problem lies at a much deeper level. Our youth today are being raised with no consequences for their actions. They have never heard the word no from mommy, or their teachers, then when out on the street, confronted by an officer, they act as they always have. With contempt and defiance. White and black, and any other color for that matter. While I don't deny there are some bad racist cops out there, I'm not gonna buy into the hysteria and jump on a bandwagon. The statistics don't support it. Off my soapbox now...

If you want ti see racism go to Atlanta or within a 100 miles for that matter. They will kill you or beat you for walkibg the street because of your skin color.

Did anyone see news of a black muslim refugee that went into a church in Tennessee and killed white folks? Probably not!

As we saw in SC when a rasict white guy killed black folks in a church it was all over the news for months. The media does this All The time. Both killed by rasict. Sounds like white lives dont matter as much.
#WLM

Tell Trump that. How can a person running for president to become the Commander In Chief disrespect a Gold Star Family and now he want another war to kill more troops and he worrying about pro athletes standing up for people being killed by cops for no reasons and getting away with it. America is suppose to be equal treatment for all regardless of color. A lot of those ball players parent where in the military and for you who doesn't know a veteran of the military told them to express their angry about the killing the way they are doing by kneeling and also look up the Star Spangle Banner and read the entire verses that they don't play.
I agree and I stated that the protest intensified after the POTUS remarks last Friday. It is aggravating that he was more upset about these protests than he was when the white supremacist and Neo-Nazis marched in Charlottesville. They were carrying Nazi flags and as we all know, the Nazis were against the US. So I think that is very disrespectful to all the Veterans who have fought and died. I know thats everyones right however I think it should be equal no matter who is protesting.

My point exactly. I am black with a white wife and mixed kids. Having my wife ask the simple question, what's wrong with minorities asking for what this country supposingly stood for? Every 1 that mentions the flag is avoiding the topic and attempting to cloud the movement. Its about equity and what this country says its stands for. Race he's never been an issue for me. In-laws and majority of my friends including my best friend is white. So their views and opinions are very instrumental to me. There's a reason Greenwood,OK aka black wall st is not taught in school or most know about Nate Turner but nothing is taught about John Horse and seminole tribe. Protesters just want equity, stop avoiding that issue and making it about the flag when it has nothing to do with the flag. My brother is a marine and father served in the air force for 27 years so again. I understand the hidden agenda and the real reason some are upset with the protesters.

Reactions: 3daughters
I don't go to rallys, and never have, and probably never will....Maybe, you do, and that's your choice just as it's my choice to NOT support the NFL for not following their own rules...I'm not going to get into a debate with you about police brutality because this thread is about respect for our country and our flag....If someone wants to debate police brutality, they should use another venue, and not use the symbol that is suppose to unite us as AMERICANS!

When those coffins come back from wars, and that 21 gun salute is given for those brave soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrafice, and were protecting all of our Freedoms, we don't care if they are Black, White, Native Americans, Mexican-American, Japanese-American or whatever mixed ethic culture they might be related too....All we care, and all we should care about is that they are AMERICANS first and foremost...

That's all I have to say about this subject, Brother!
Then if thats' all that matter tell why Trump would disrespect a Gold Star family on national TV if he cared so much about the sarifices the military make for their country and the flag? Brother just like you I served my country also in war so those kids could have the right to do what they are doing. If everybody care so much where were you when Trump didn't speak out against the people in Charlotteville,VA. when they were caring the Nazi and American Flags saying and repeating nasty things about American citizen and the young lady lost her life, where was Trump then and you my brother?

Love all you guys who talk about being "united" yet most of you I'm sure are dead set against the removal of confederate monuments, you know, those things that were not erected to honor anyone but to give a big middle finger to blacks during Jim Crow and segregation. Those monuments are very divisive because of why they were erected so why does the same "united" thought not apply. Then, how about all those confederate battle flags that should disappear from the face of the earth, you know, the flag being held by those shooting at the Stars and Stripes and a reminder to blacks that our ancestors owned your ancestors. You don't get to argue "united" only when it suits your narrative. The players kneeling has nothing to do with the anthem, the flag, or the military, it's all about racism just like the monuments and the battle flag.

3d do u know that the South had 3 flags none of which was the battle flag.
If the confederate flag flew right now above you, you wouldnt even now it. Do some research. The flag u have a problem with was a Christian flag. I love the battle flag. Its always meant i was from the south. I guess it means something different to you. One thing is 4 sure it will never be gone from this planet.

Any flag with the Stars and Bars is incredibly divisive...not to you because you're white. Confederate monuments are incredibly divisive...not to you because you're white. Not standing for the anthem is incredibly divisive...to you because you're white. So ironic how the word "divisive" and "united" are used in this thread to suit the narrative

Perpetuating the divide by casually throwing out catch phrases like "because you're white" is unproductive. Freedom of expression is fine, peacefully protesting is great.

I respect peoples right to peaceful protest.

I respect the Flag, National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance.

All I ask of anyone in this country is to respect my beliefs as much as you are demanding I respect your beliefs.

...and as some posters have mentioned before (and I follow this great advice). Its your choice to "click" the link, change the channel or watch the protest.

Perpetuating the divide by casually throwing out catch phrases like "because you're white" is unproductive. Freedom of expression is fine, peacefully protesting is great.

I respect peoples right to peaceful protest.

I respect the Flag, National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance.

All I ask of anyone in this country is to respect my beliefs as much as you are demanding I respect your beliefs.

...and as some posters have mentioned before (and I follow this great advice). Its your choice to "click" the link, change the channel or watch the protest.

(1) don't see where anyone is "demanding" anything from you
(2) None of my black friends are upset about the protests because they "live" what is being protested every day and they know it has nothing to do with the flag, the anthem or the military
(3) none of my black friends want to see a confederate flag because of what their history is entwined with that flag
(4) none of my black friends want to see a confederate monument because they know the history of why that monument is there and that it has nothing to do with honoring brave soldiers.

"because you are white" is not a catch phrase nor is it unproductive. These are all issues about race, black and white. If there is any hope of being "united" and not "divided" (phrases used by posters all through this thread) you have to understand that first.

(1) don't see where anyone is "demanding" anything from you
(2) None of my black friends are upset about the protests because they "live" what is being protested every day and they know it has nothing to do with the flag, the anthem or the military
(3) none of my black friends want to see a confederate flag because of what their history is entwined with that flag
(4) none of my black friends want to see a confederate monument because they know the history of why that monument is there and that it has nothing to do with honoring brave soldiers.

"because you are white" is not a catch phrase nor is it unproductive. These are all issues about race, black and white. If there is any hope of being "united" and not "divided" (phrases used by posters all through this thread) you have to understand that first.

We will have to agree to disagree on the premise of your stance.

Yes, society as a whole "is demanding". You're either on board, or in their eyes, a racist. If you fail to acknowledge that is the growing trend, then I encourage you to turn on any MSM source.

Just because you say "it's not about the flag, anthem, etc" doesn't it mean it doesn't disrespect a larger portion of our country. If I use the Bible as toilet paper but say I'm not disrespecting it, using your logic, it shouldn't offend anyone.

Agree on the confederate flag.

Yes, "because you're white" is a lazy attempt at undermining somebody's argument. You have no idea what some people have been through and using their race to project your argument is ironic, considering it could easily be misconstrued as being stereotypical.

Nobody here disagrees with the fundamental reasoning behind the protest. Many people have an issue with the method being used.

Reactions: TigerDen1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT