ADVERTISEMENT

Myers Park HC open...

Word is that this decision was made long ago. Some think that a state title would not have changed this decision. Further, it seems that the previous coach may have been on the hot seat if he had stayed. At least two other CMS and one former one were in conversations for this job before announcing the assistant's promotion.
"Previous coach on the hot seat." Are you referring to Chadwick? If so, no surprise there.

Reactions: btango
How does a non-system personality influence a coaching decision in a public school?
Myers Park may be more of an issue of money talks but it can happen. Several years back, Scott Young was hired as head coach of Independence. They had some down years and were looking to get back to the glory days. Young was a 3 time state champion coach at West Rowan. Before he could even coach his first game, he was fired because boosters raised a stink. Apparently, they didn't like the idea that he was run oriented coach. In retrospect, there were some health issues but the Independence administration knew this going in and still felt like he was the right guy. They have since fallen to a well deserved irrelevance in Charlotte area football. I guess it is better to lose stylishly throwing the ball than to win with a proven system. Karma.

Perhaps a little karma is in the offing for Myers Park. They have tried to manipulate their way into a state championship to no avail. Two issues. They have been hard on head coaches despite records that most schools would love to have. There is little continuity beyond a few years. Bigger reason is that they duck hard competition. Despite having the largest NC school most years, plenty of athletes, significant resources from their booster club and now the seeming ability to bring in out of state talent at the elite level, they continuously fall short. They want to be regarded as a nationally elite program but never really see a tough game until the late rounds of the playoffs and get smoked by toughness. They load their non conference schedule with cupcakes and maybe have one challenge within conference, score 50, 60 points a game and develop a false sense of superiority without ever being tested. Then they can't cope in a tight game where an opponent hits back. The original conference alignment had them grouped with Butler and Catholic. Somehow that got changed to an alignment that looks much more "favorable." Until they man up and intentionally schedule teams that might beat them, they will continue to have gaudy records and 2nd, 3rd round exits in the state playoffs.

Perhaps a little karma is in the offing for Myers Park. They have tried to manipulate their way into a state championship to no avail. Two issues. They have been hard on head coaches despite records that most schools would love to have. There is little continuity beyond a few years. Bigger reason is that they duck hard competition. Despite having the largest NC school most years, plenty of athletes, significant resources from their booster club and now the seeming ability to bring in out of state talent at the elite level, they continuously fall short. They want to be regarded as a nationally elite program but never really see a tough game until the late rounds of the playoffs and get smoked by toughness. They load their non conference schedule with cupcakes and maybe have one challenge within conference, score 50, 60 points a game and develop a false sense of superiority without ever being tested. Then they can't cope in a tight game where an opponent hits back. The original conference alignment had them grouped with Butler and Catholic. Somehow that got changed to an alignment that looks much more "favorable." Until they man up and intentionally schedule teams that might beat them, they will continue to have gaudy records and 2nd, 3rd round exits in the state playoffs.

Didn’t Myers Park schedule a out of state team at the stadium for non conference ? I think power shifts in Mecklenburg County. From West Charlotte to Independence to Butler, then Mallard Creek and now Vance. Its interesting to see where Hough and Myers Park go in the future. Both schools have big adm so to add in transfers makes them a tough out

Scott Young was not released because he was a run oriented coach. Part of his plan was to increase the pass in his attack. He was hardly at Indy before his health issues took him out of the picture. RIP Coach.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
They want to be regarded as a nationally elite program but never really see a tough game until the late rounds of the playoffs and get smoked by toughness. They load their non conference schedule with cupcakes and maybe have one challenge within conference, score 50, 60 points a game and develop a false sense of superiority without ever being tested.
The schedule they put together for fall 2020 was rock solid. Chadwick realized they needed tougher games and went out and got them. Obviously 2020 fell through in NC.

Scott Young was not released because he was a run oriented coach. Part of his plan was to increase the pass in his attack. He was hardly at Indy before his health issues took him out of the picture. RIP Coach.
Directly familiar with this one. He had already received a heart transplant and appeared on the road to recovery when when Independence made the decision to hire him. That was not a secret. He didn't leave voluntarily. The messy situation that unfolded was simply not how things should be handled, especially for a quality man such as Coach Young. In retrospect, his health issues would have ultimately taken him out of the picture but that wasn't the timeline.

Didn’t Myers Park schedule a out of state team at the stadium for non conference ? I think power shifts in Mecklenburg County. From West Charlotte to Independence to Butler, then Mallard Creek and now Vance. Its interesting to see where Hough and Myers Park go in the future. Both schools have big adm so to add in transfers makes them a tough out
Goes to the many challenges of coaching in the CMS system. Maintaining continuity is a problem. It takes a strong coach to build and maintain a culture and it often leaves when they leave. Knotts and Palmieri were special breeds that hung around awhile but ultimately jumped to more lucrative spots. Others with that type of potential don't hang around that long. Vance appears to be one of the few schools that has maintained their level despite a coaching change and kudos to coaching staff and administration there. The quality of Charlotte area high school football has excelled recently in spite of itself.

Goes to the many challenges of coaching in the CMS system. Maintaining continuity is a problem. It takes a strong coach to build and maintain a culture and it often leaves when they leave. Knotts and Palmieri were special breeds that hung around awhile but ultimately jumped to more lucrative spots. Others with that type of potential don't hang around that long. Vance appears to be one of the few schools that has maintained their level despite a coaching change and kudos to coaching staff and administration there. The quality of Charlotte area high school football has excelled recently in spite of itself.
You forgot to add Brian Hales to this list. Once Newsome left there was very little drop in consistency and you can arguably say out of any CMS program in the last decade after a Coaching change Butler has adjusted the best.

You forgot to add Brian Hales to this list. Once Newsome left there was very little drop in consistency and you can arguably say out of any CMS program in the last decade after a Coaching change Butler has adjusted the best.
Hales is one of the more underrated coaches in the state. Dude flat out gets it done and is a good guy as well! Nothing but respect for him

Directly familiar with this one. He had already received a heart transplant and appeared on the road to recovery when when Independence made the decision to hire him. That was not a secret. He didn't leave voluntarily. The messy situation that unfolded was simply not how things should be handled, especially for a quality man such as Coach Young. In retrospect, his health issues would have ultimately taken him out of the picture but that wasn't the timeline.

I told Coach Young before he took the job that coaching is coaching but working in CMS is a different animal. What I sensed as part of Scott’s desire for another HC job at that time was misplaced plus was not good with the health situation. He felt he would be 100%. New HC and new to CMS was too much, too soon. Whether one supported the hire or not it was not handled well in the end. RIP Scott.

Touche. No slight intended at Hales. Following state championships by Newsome was a high bar and extremely hard act to follow but Butler has made late round noise in the playoffs almost every year since. He also is more the exception than the rule and they are few and far between in CMS system.

Well from what I heard is One of issue at Indy is Coach Young wanted his Son at QB and As you seen at Statesville He had his up and down but Make no doubt about it - Scott young was one of the best coaches in 3A!
He was my friend , my mentor and I miss him everyday n I wish I could had more time with him then I did

RIP coach

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Well from what I heard is One of issue at Indy is Coach Young wanted his Son at QB and As you seen at Statesville He had his up and down but Make no doubt about it - Scott young was one of the best coaches in 3A!
He was my friend , my mentor and I miss him everyday n I wish I could had more time with him then I did

RIP coach
It was a parent revolt that ousted him. Plain and simple. I also have direct knowledge. I believe the parents met with the AD while he was at a funeral and forced the firing. It was wrong.

Debatable if it was wrong. Hindsight 20/20 it worked out better for each party involved partying ways. Could it have been handled better? YES. Was Young a great coach? YES! Was it a good fit? NO.

Coaches with sons playing is tough from the jump. Coaches with sons playing QB is even tougher, coaches with sons playing QB that gets the starting job over more qualified talent is a mess. Not just with Independence , but this is an issue everywhere in football starting from youth ball. Daddy Ball. Not saying this was completely the issue, but daddy ball is real. From the star athlete whose father now wants to be on the coaching staff to the unqualified coaches son QB. Look at Deion at JSU? he had two QBS transfer, and no one wants to commit to JSU as a QB as they all feel Shedeur will be handed the job in he fall. But from a coaching standpoint you know your son and want them to succeed and you can coach them at home. Remember FSU and Bobby Bowden hiring Jeff Bowden? Nepotism is real. Had Young's son played another position this situation likely works out. But its touchy from both sides.

Myers Park may be more of an issue of money talks but it can happen. Several years back, Scott Young was hired as head coach of Independence. They had some down years and were looking to get back to the glory days. Young was a 3 time state champion coach at West Rowan. Before he could even coach his first game, he was fired because boosters raised a stink. Apparently, they didn't like the idea that he was run oriented coach. In retrospect, there were some health issues but the Independence administration knew this going in and still felt like he was the right guy. They have since fallen to a well deserved irrelevance in Charlotte area football. I guess it is better to lose stylishly throwing the ball than to win with a proven system. Karma.
Tuscola went through that somewhat when they hired Pursley who was retired and was available in July 2014 after Allen left for Freedom. He installed the Triple Option. The 2016 team broke the school points scored record, had a RB that broke the team career rushing record and who led the NATION in TD's for part of the year. Out on the street was grumbling about "that offense"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT