ADVERTISEMENT

Myers Park HC open...

Not involved but know a lot of people that are. People outside the school appear to be calling the shots. Harman cares about his players. They lost one game, the regional final. Job was listed before he was informed he would not be back.
Awful. At least give him a shot, his “interim” season resulted in their deepest playoff run since I think 2005(regional final), unless they made it in 2018 as well. Cannot remember.

Have to give him the fall season at least. NO dog n the fight but to let him go after only losing to Vance after losing the top tier QB is strange to say the least. Now you try and hire someone in May with the summer approaching and 2021 football soon to be here? Odd. Seems as if consistency would be the best case scenario.

And he did that without Drake Maye? They must think they are better than they are.
Yes! It was the new future FBS QB, with 6 of his friends that were added to the roster from California. Throw in the 5 to 6 new players from the City. It’ll make you believe! Trade 1 for 11. Drake Who? I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy who was housing and feeding those players from Cali, had something to do with the release. Can’t wait to see the credentials of the new guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 704CougarsDad
Nepsy hope that isn't the case. Building a winning program takes time! Even when you are doing very well folks want more. Really miss the days of HS football where 10 win seasons and making regionals was celebrated.

Nepsy hope that isn't the case. Building a winning program takes time! Even when you are doing very well folks want more. Really miss the days of HS football where 10 win seasons and making regionals was celebrated.
Unfortunately it’s a fact regarding the new players from Cali. I thought it was 5 from Cali, but I was informed it was 7. They definitely got numerous new players from the City. Although Myers Park is one of the largest schools in the State. Yet, they can’t get it done without outside help. Very frustrating for their fan base. Panic and fire the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
Not involved but know a lot of people that are. People outside the school appear to be calling the shots. Harman cares about his players. They lost one game, the regional final. Job was listed before he was informed he would not be back.
This is not new for Myers Park. Coach Ruark got the same treatment after a few years of Coaching and building the program. Once they feel a little success they get an inflated sense of the ease going to the next step. They are a victim somewhat of the demographics of the area yes they do have a few neighborhoods that are lower to middle income but most are very high financial multiplier and those kids just have other options and type of drive which is why transfers are so important in that program. Instability of the HC does not help that formula...

Bringing in outside talent no matter how good doesn't always result in titles. Team chemistry goes a long way. Chemistry between players and coaches alike.

Reactions: btango and tdl6242
All I have to say is This is total BS and Unfair to coach Harman , He seem to care about MP and his players and As this season shown he was the “Right” guy for them but he will be a HC in SC or NC at some point again

Elaborate please. This is one of the stranger moves I’ve seen in a while
Harman is a good man. Good to the kids. Good family person. When he was the HC at West Meck he looked after the players like they were his own. Went above and beyond. Does things by the book which some people may not like.

I do not see a principal, AD, or the system pushing to oust a HC that is not a rulebreaker and goes further in his first season than they had been in 15 seasons. My guess is strong non system personalities influenced this.

Harman is a good man. Good to the kids. Good family person. When he was the HC at West Meck he looked after the players like they were his own. Went above and beyond. Does things by the book which some people may not like.

I do not see a principal, AD, or the system pushing to oust a HC that is not a rulebreaker and goes further in his first season than they had been in 15 seasons. My guess is strong non system personalities influenced this.
How does a non-system personality influence a coaching decision in a public school?

I did not realize but the principal is the one that was at Indy in 2009, TK's last season. Remember, they had scheduled a game with Madison County FLA. I was headed down but we had storm warnings here. The principal, Bosco, stopped them from going. I was at Florida State for the Western Carolina game. Had planned a two night doubleheader. Skies were as blue and calm as could be. Indy lost their bus and hotel payments if I am not mistaken due to cancelling the day prior.

Word is that this decision was made long ago. Some think that a state title would not have changed this decision. Further, it seems that the previous coach may have been on the hot seat if he had stayed. At least two other CMS and one former one were in conversations for this job before announcing the assistant's promotion.

Exhibit A, MP is becoming a solid case for Exhibit B
Myers Park All Conference players
3 Players: From California
I player: Houston Texas
1 player: Mt. Island
1 player: North Meck
1 player: Mallard Creek.

Their best players came from other programs. That's 7 players you take out the program, and they are middle of the road. Nothing special about Myers Park, Outside of them being Recruiting Exhibit B. :)

Myers Park All Conference players
3 Players: From California
I player: Houston Texas
1 player: Mt. Island
1 player: North Meck
1 player: Mallard Creek.

Their best players came from other programs. That's 7 players you take out the program, and they are middle of the road. Nothing special about Myers Park, Outside of them being Recruiting Exhibit B. :)
Yet they all complain about us. Lol.

Nepsy those 7 aren't that bad IMHO. We could go down the Vance roster, Hough roster MC previous rosters, and multiple top contender teams rosters and play that game where top players transfer/move in. The difference is the dependency on those players, and how they are acquired vs. using homegrown 9th graders. Some of these schools openly recruit vs. a school that sales themselves. Its a bit different IMHO.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
There really isn't a " our players" component at the upper levels of HS football anymore. It's gone from sort of a city thing to a state and national deal now. Knotts picks up a QB from Wilmington, Cali kids moving to Charlotte. Tons of kids moving into Georgia etc,etc.

It is just following where pro and college sports have moved to. Elite programs essentially advertise their ability to get kids college scholarships.

If you aren't showcasing your program and recruiting you become mediocre very quickly. It's just reality.

Nepsy those 7 aren't that bad IMHO. We could go down the Vance roster, Hough roster MC previous rosters, and multiple top contender teams rosters and play that game where top players transfer/move in. The difference is the dependency on those players, and how they are acquired vs. using homegrown 9th graders. Some of these schools openly recruit vs. a school that sales themselves. Its a bit different IMHO.
Even the home grown 9th graders has become a fallacy. Parents are moving their kids into zones in 8th and 9th grade with the idea being better coaching and more exposure. This is HS sports in 2021.

I only know about the Creek. Of course we’ve had our 3 to 4 new guys a year. Not all are starters. After LJ, we’ve had an outside QB every year, until this past season with Brower. 95% of our guys have always been homegrown since 9th grade.. The new guys started flowing in after the 3 State Championships. I’m not to familiar with Vance’s roster, outside of Jeremiah Smith who came from the Creek, and started as a DB for them. Nobody in the State is in the same Stratosphere as Hough. 85% of their staters came from other programs. They would be in a Dog Fight with Hopewell if they stayed with the hand they’ve been dealt. IMO. Hough & Myers Park have had no interest in developing the kids they have. It’s a huge difference, when the guys from the outside, are the only reason that make you a contender.

If the top players move in early and grow with the core group that's different. But to build chemistry from a cluster of players that come in just before the season starts is not that easy. With Chambers/Vance, MC, you hear/see the core names 2 to 3 seasons in a row and the chemistry had developed over that time. It's like a dance routine, when 4 guys are doing the same thing it's easy for 1 or 2 to fall in as opposed to you all learning from scratch at the same time. Jam a core group together just before the season starts and it looks clumsy no matter how good they are, and chances are high they will not win a title and more often then not have 2nd and 3rd round exits.

Reactions: nepsy7
Agree 100% Nepsy . You made my point better than I could. Some teams build basically off of transfers and intend to do this every year. They search out top level players vs, a school that has success on the field, builds from within and it attracts other players to join. When all of your transfers are your top notch guys you have issues.

Blue and Gold agree also that parents are doing the research for good MS, then good high school programs even before the 9th grade. It has gone away from City/County to National. To me its less recruiting vs. a talent level index similar to what's happened in AAU/Travel basketball. You look at a team/high school and say can my child compete at that level? Can my child play at Vance, MC, or Hough? Or should they go to WC, Hopewell, or NM? Those top schools lose a lot of good players to for too much competition. When I coached the number one thing wasn't a college scholarship it was 1. Will I get on the field. 2. College scholarship 3. Program Pride/Prestige/Winning 4. Conflict with prior coaching staff.

When we are honest only around 7% of high school players play in college. Less than 3% of that play D1 football. That's the true reality, but what's changed is the parents mindset in that my child will make it high D1. High D1 is for the elite of the elite of the elite. But travel football, 7 V 7, camps, private trainers have made a business out of selling hope. Its the AAU basketball mindset that has taken over football. So we now see tiers in HS football like we have in AAU basketball. Truly Elite, Elite, Good, AVG, and money donations.

Reactions: nepsy7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT