ADVERTISEMENT

My Championship picks

The irony of all this is the one team that still has bragging rights resides near Raleigh. 3 time state champs, but I like the passion for everyone’s respective team. They may not post on here, but they seem to stay quiet.

Reactions: Crr1968
I respect the Richmond and the Scotland guys. They back their team no matter what. I even like CPC for life dude and the Shelby nut job......at least they pick a side.

The guys that I have zero respect for is guys like Mr Honda or SV2 guy. Constantly taking shots but dont back anything......easy to play that way because you never have to face the music.....

I call it gutless

Reactions: Raider7967
Interesting year in 4AA.
Not sure where to start.
Richmond County. Mallard Creek. Myers Park.
2 teams are going home disappointed.
Maybe all three.
One will make the State Championship game.
That in and of itself should be viewed as a success.
But it won’t be. Except by Richmond County.

You see, RC fans are the eternal optimists.
Who else posts and keeps 7 out of the top 10 threads on varying topics going on this 4A board year round.
It’s amazing. Magical. Annoying.
For them, just making the Title Game will confirm they are relevant again. Even if they are Runnerups.
That will be worth 10 more years, or until 8 shows up in the year again. Isn’t that how it works?
Top consistent program.......in 4A.

Mallard Creek.
Top disappointing program. Period.
All that talent. All that national hype.
For what?
3 State Championships. 0 since 2015.
Agree, it appears James Smith was the key.
It is great MC ties and defeats South Carolina powers.
But can it win Charlotte anymore?
Here is some advice. Be a complete team.
Work on special teams. Get a long snapper transfer.
Stress discipline.
Justify the ranking and the hype.

Myers Park. Their best team ever.
Amazing what NFL genes and coaching can do.
And scheduling.
You beat Hough and Butler, two good programs.
But you dodged Vance and MC, two recent championship level programs.
MP smoked RC last year in the playoffs.
Can they do it again?
Will they get a chance to?
A sentimental favorite as the newcomers.
May be the only time these stars align.

Do have a question.
Someone please explain how the 4A and 1A playoffs allow byes to the top teams while 3A and 2A do not.
Understand that the association has grouped more schools in 2A and 3A, but why?
It is inherently unfair for 3A and 2A top programs to risk upsets and injury with an extra game for the exact same State Championship goal as 1A and 4A.
Either add teams to the 1A and 4A first rounds, or allow 3A and 2A top teams the bye. They generally crush the weak opponent anyway.

Great 3rd grade dissertation. Please feel free to continue to educate us more with your knowledge of all.

I respect the Richmond and the Scotland guys. They back their team no matter what. I even like CPC for life dude and the Shelby nut job......at least they pick a side.

The guys that I have zero respect for is guys like Mr Honda or SV2 guy. Constantly taking shots but dont back anything......easy to play that way because you never have to face the music.....

I call it gutless

I agree with the stand behind your team. Heck, pick a team. Everybody that complains, then go beat them. Get better. Work harder. Prove them wrong with your actions and let the score reflect your work. RC has improved and will try to do just that. There just happens to be some darn good teams in the way.

Yes. That is a great answer, btango.
Just give every team in 1A and 4A playoffs a first round bye.
Then they can all go watch the top schlubs in 2A and 3A staying active to crush unworthy opponents while risking injury to key players.
The association can draw the line wherever it wants to for the four classifications.
Why was this done?
To create a shortage of teams in 1A and 4A so as to warrant first round byes?
Who knows the answer to that?

There were several structures for the four classification breakdown reviewed. Opting to have less teams in 1A and 4A was due to the difference in ADM between the largest and smallest schools in the classification.

I call it gutless
I’m not looking for your respect. I just try to call it like I see it , IN MY OPINION. You know what that is don’t you? So tell me, other than stating the fact that the Creek hadn’t won a title either before or after James Smith, which again is FACT, what other so called shots have I taken?

Reactions: Veejay4

I call it gutless
If you’d like to meet sometime so we can discuss things in person and face the so called music, I’m up for it.

I call it gutless
Can’t even state an opinion without people getting upset. Again Mr. Gold, no shot taken, at least an intended shot. I’m done. It’s not enjoyable here anymore.

I’m not looking for your respect. I just try to call it like I see it , IN MY OPINION. You know what that is don’t you? So tell me, other than stating the fact that the Creek hadn’t won a title either before or after James Smith, which again is FACT, what other so called shots have I taken?

You take them all the time. You will jump on HS OT next and take shots at any East school and make sure they know how soft their schedules are. Then you will let the Richmond fan base know that the playoffs dont start until they play a Meck county team. Next you will jump on the Forsyth county guys.....act like your Mr. Charlotte but then its " MC hasnt won a title with out a QB named Smith". Congrats on your great football analysis......by the way. Give me all the teams in the West that have won titles since 2015??

I hate guys that try and play all sides.

Reactions: Veejay4
I learned along time ago if you mention Creek the 2 Creek posters are coming for you hard.
Well, too bad. They thought I was taking a shot at Creek by saying they haven’t won a title before or after James Smith was quarterback. I guess this is considered a shot too. Non intended Creek fans but since their last title in 2015, they’re 3-3 in the playoffs with no state titles. That’s one reason, in my opinion I’m not favoring them this year. Frankly, again in my opinion, it’s Richmond’s to lose.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
I know this maybe somewhat off the subject but no need to create a whole new thread

If Richmond does not win it this year it will be okay , but I want to say there is something different about this year raider team ,Then all the raiders team in the past they are doing their job , playing hard and having fun at the same time . Their is a connection & bond that these players have with each other that I have not seen in 30 plus years . The only team I have ever seen have this type of connection is when Deshaun Watson played for Clemson but the Raider bond is tighter . If you are a raider fan you know what I am talking about

You take them all the time. You will jump on HS OT next and take shots at any East school and make sure they know how soft their schedules are. Then you will let the Richmond fan base know that the playoffs dont start until they play a Meck county team. Next you will jump on the Forsyth county guys.....act like your Mr. Charlotte but then its " MC hasnt won a title with out a QB named Smith". Congrats on your great football analysis......by the way. Give me all the teams in the West that have won titles since 2015??

I hate guys that try and play all sides.
Too bad, that’s why “fans” have hated it when opinions are given by one who isn’t a fan. That’s because they’re fans and aren’t looking at things objectively. By the way, I’m not playing sides. Have I stated anything that wasn’t true? Overall, are schedules in the East strong? Until 4A had East won anything, though they got on here proclaiming themselves to be something great. I’ve commented before their title run, that Wake Forest hadn’t won anything. After three titles in a row, they have my respect. Richmond has my respect because of their history. I have all the respect in the world for coach Palmieri and what he’s done he’s done in building that program. I haven’t said anything that isn’t true in my opinion. I’m not a fan of any one team. I enjoy high school football, or at least I did. I’ll give an opinion contrary to what team and regional fans want to hear and they get upset, because they’re fans. I’ll finish this comment here. It doesn’t matter how many out of state teams you play. It doesn’t matter how elite one thinks the coaching staff is. So tell me what part of the following statement isn’t true; Mallard Creek, with all of they’re very good teams, has only won the state title when one QB was there. Wake Forest didn’t win three in a row with only one QB, did they? Since MC’s last title in 2015, they’re 3-3 in the playoffs with no state titles. I’m done now. Enjoy the playoffs Nepsy and Blue and Gold.

This is my favorite part. When you cry and take your little ball and go home.....but of course. Once the tears get wiped away you show back up.
My favorite is when you Creek guys say you’ve played this great a schedule and that great a team, you have an elite this and an elite that and as far as titles go, again other than when you had one quarterback who carried you (as in a certain regional title against EF), you have absolutely nothing to show for it. I think I’m finally beginning to understand much of the disdain fans in other parts of the state have for Charlotte football.

Non intended Creek fans but since their last title in 2015, they’re 3-3 in the playoffs with no state titles.

We're actually 5-3 in the playoffs but carry on. We did play in the State Championship game in 2017 until 5:25 in the 4th quarter the score was 0-0. If only we had James Smith. How did we even make it there?

My favorite is when you Creek guys say you’ve played this great a schedule and that great a team, you have an elite this and an elite that and as far as titles go, again other than when you had one quarterback who carried you (as in a certain regional title against EF), you have absolutely nothing to show for it. I think I’m finally beginning to understand much of the disdain fans in other parts of the state have for Charlotte football.
Once again! You're exaggerating. I said elite coaching staff on both sides of the ball. There was no elite this and elite that. See what your doing. You're making stuff up again. We had a QB, that we'll probably never see in the next 3 decades. You redundantly say over and over again. Can't win without Smith. Like you can walk outside and pick a James Smith off the tree...LOL No Shiggady Sherlock. It's a lot easier when you have a kid with his skills.

So you can talk about MC's schedule, but we can't?

Last edited:
Non intended Creek fans but since their last title in 2015, they’re 3-3 in the playoffs with no state titles.

We're actually 5-3 in the playoffs but carry on. We did play in the State Championship game in 2017 until 5:25 in the 4th quarter the score was 0-0. If only we had James Smith. How did we even make it there?

Once again! You're exaggerating. I said elite coaching staff on both sides of the ball. There was no elite this and elite that. See what your doing. You're making stuff up again. We had a QB, that we'll probably never see in the next 3 decades. You redundantly say over and over again. Can't win without Smith. Like you can walk outside and pick a James Smith off the tree...LOL No Shiggady Sherlock. It's a lot easier when you have a kid with his skills.

Stand corrected. 5-3

Do me favor. Please show the quote for all of us to see, where I said MC can't win without James Smith. I'll wait. All I said was they haven't won a title without him. Of course he was an elite back you don't find every day. Tell us something we don't know. But man, with the talent the Creek has had, they should've had at least another title. And I've pulled for them as well. That game against Wake where it was 0-0 going into the fourth, I felt they should've won that game. With Noller, they have a shot, but I'm not banking on it.

Last edited:
Man this thread went left a loooooong time ago. As for the game friday I jus hope our kids plays their hearts out and leave it all out on the field. Its do or die and hope certain players "wake up" and use the talents that they have and see a different game esp on offense. If the other team is going 2 win make sure they remember who they played. They may walk into battle but limp out win or lose.

Do me favor. Please show the quote for all of us to see, where I said MC can't win without James Smith. I'll wait.
Stop playing! There is no all of us. It's just you and I. lol! You've only insinuated it more than once. Which is valid. A QB who throws for 3500 yards a season, and rushes for 1000yds would be hard for any team to replace. So when you say. Let's see if MC can win without a guy name Smith. NO SHIT! We want to see also....lmao!

Man this thread went left a loooooong time ago. As for the game friday I jus hope our kids plays their hearts out and leave it all out on the field. Its do or die and hope certain players "wake up" and use the talents that they have and see a different game esp on offense. If the other team is going 2 win make sure they remember who they played. They may walk into battle but limp out win or lose.
They say history leaves clues. Though in my picks, I went with MC, based on history, you've got a shot.

Stop playing! There is no all of us. It's just you and I. lol! You've only insinuated it more than once. Which is valid. A QB who throws for 3500 yards a season, and rushes for 1000yds would be hard for any team to replace. So when you say. Let's see if MC can win without a guy name Smith. NO SHIT! We want to see also....lmao!
I actually hope you do.

Do me favor. Please show the quote for all of us to see, where I said MC can't win without James Smith. I'll wait. All I said was they haven't won a title without him. Of course he was an elite back you don't find every day. Tell us something we don't know. But man, with the talent the Creek has had, they should've had at least another title. And I've pulled for them as well. That game against Wake where it was 0-0 going into the fourth, I felt they should've won that game. With Noller, they have a shot, but I'm not banking on it.

Thought you were done?

I keep hearing the West is deep this year Mallard Creek, Vance, Richmond, Myers Park, and don’t leave out Hough; a team can get hot and play Cinderella. Has everybody forgot the 3x time 4AA Champ is sitting out East with a Cakewalk to the title game after the Wild Wild West beat up on each other. It’s survive and advance rather it’s by 1 point or 30 points. If you are playing after Thanksgiving count it as a blessing, normally the teams that are playing TG weekend are pretty good teams.

There were several structures for the four classification breakdown reviewed. Opting to have less teams in 1A and 4A was due to the difference in ADM between the largest and smallest schools in the classification.

No, btango. Not buying it.
Did not understand the “structures” then. Do not understand them now.
Just take the smallest 2A schools and add back to 1A while you take the largest 3A schools and add to 4A until each classification represents their 25% of all the public high schools in the state.
It is that simple.
Besides, 1A defeats 2A all the time.
And 3A defeats 4A often.
There is not enough justifiable difference to give half the schools an easier path to an equivalent “ State Championship”.
What is the real reason for the “structure” and the byes?

No, btango. Not buying it.
Did not understand the “structures” then. Do not understand them now.
Just take the smallest 2A schools and add back to 1A while you take the largest 3A schools and add to 4A until each classification represents their 25% of all the public high schools in the state.
It is that simple.
Besides, 1A defeats 2A all the time.
And 3A defeats 4A often.
There is not enough justifiable difference to give half the schools an easier path to an equivalent “ State Championship”.
What is the real reason for the “structure” and the byes?

If the first round games for 2A and 3A are the "top schlubs crushing unworthy opponents" would it be sensible to drop 2A and 3A to four rounds?

If the first round games for 2A and 3A are the "top schlubs crushing unworthy opponents" would it be sensible to drop 2A and 3A to four rounds?

Of course it would. Or byes. All four classes should play the exact same format.
But you are not answering my question.

I've finished all my brackets and I came up with these winners . What are your choices ? I know on any given night any team can win but I feel these teams will be around at the end .
1A Robbinsville.
1AA J.A. Holmes
2A Reidsville
2AA Shelby
3A So. Nash
3AA Weddington
4A Scotland County
4AA Richmond County

1A N. Edgecombe
1AA Tarboro
2A Reidsville
2AA Shelby
3A Terry Sanford
3AA Weddington
4A Scotland County
4AA Richmond County

I’m not a fan of any one team. I enjoy high school football, or at least I did.
Sheesh........all the drama. You must not be very a dedicated fan if that's all it takes to run you away from the game. Kinda sad if you really let someone you don't know have that much control over you. Lotta feathers ruffled around this joint....dang, pull for your guys, respect the players from wherever and let them play. I look past the drama for a while on this site, but it becomes hard to find the gold on here after sorting through so much mud. I'm likely the new target, but I can take it.

I know this maybe somewhat off the subject but no need to create a whole new thread

If Richmond does not win it this year it will be okay , but I want to say there is something different about this year raider team ,Then all the raiders team in the past they are doing their job , playing hard and having fun at the same time . Their is a connection & bond that these players have with each other that I have not seen in 30 plus years . The only team I have ever seen have this type of connection is when Deshaun Watson played for Clemson but the Raider bond is tighter . If you are a raider fan you know what I am talking about
I agree 100% sir ans I think it has started at the top with Coach Till. Raiders may go down this week or next or whenever bir these kids have brought the energy back thats been missing. Best of luck tomorrow night.

Mrhonda follow the directions above Friday afternoon I got your ticket and a good seat to watch the Raiders Team start their journey.

"We Believe"

I keep hearing the West is deep this year Mallard Creek, Vance, Richmond, Myers Park, and don’t leave out Hough; a team can get hot and play Cinderella. Has everybody forgot the 3x time 4AA Champ is sitting out East with a Cakewalk to the title game after the Wild Wild West beat up on each other. It’s survive and advance rather it’s by 1 point or 30 points. If you are playing after Thanksgiving count it as a blessing, normally the teams that are playing TG weekend are pretty good teams.

I jokingly said that Wake Forest would win it again a while ago, but it’s a real possibility. It’s not like their trash. I just think it would be a shame for them to have such an easy walkthrough and win it all like that. But whatever.

Reactions: dcov33
I agree coach Till is a great coach and he is bring the community back together again but this time better then before . There is more positive energy out there with the coaches , players and fans . I have never seen it like this before. This year I have enjoy every game and can’t wait for the next one . It like watching a great series and it ends and you can’t wait for it start back

Go Raiders

Reactions: Raiderdev23
Of course it would. Or byes. All four classes should play the exact same format.
But you are not answering my question.

Per the coaches rep on the Board of Directors at the time the change was made the NCHSAA wanted to do 32 teams / four rounds. The schools wanted 64 and they settled at 48. The four round playoffs would have finished the week prior to the five round playoffs so no open week.

One of the most often voiced complaints during the lead up to the realignment were the vast difference in enrollments in 1A and 4A. The uneven allotment of teams per class was how it was dealt with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT