ADVERTISEMENT

MVC 18

Illuminati704

Apr 5, 2013
Whats the scoop Lady’s and Gents? Conference should be wide open this year or does someone bring back more than I remember? Elkin as a dark horse for sure. Does EW remain a contender with the departure of their HC. Starmount? WC? Somebody has to know something.

Not sure bout EW but..starting fb/de Ross maybe transferring to WC. .that will def elevate the Eagles on both sides of the ball..as if they needed any help. They (WC)will be solid!!! I think it's their conference to lose as far as the MVAC goes!!

Pretty sure WC lost a lot. I know they bring their QB back but can’t think of any other high profile players returning. That’s unfortunate about Ross. He is a solid defender and will surely help the Eagles.

What does East return? Elkin has a lot of young talent. NW loses a very good RB. Starmount should see significant improvement this year, right?

I see this conference being wide open at the top.

WC brings back a stud of a RB in sophmore JoRay Morrison. He will probably be the best back in the conference, along with the addition of a stud fb like Jayveon from EW..their offensive backfield will be straight fire.

MVAC as a whole is gonna be hard to figure this year. It's a transition year for sure which could make for some hard to figure ball.

WC despite their losses will still be very athletic. They got the sophomore coming back and I hear the freshman class has Andrew Bynum's younger brother in it. They won't be devoid of fast kids. Losing Boles will hurt though (glad to see he got of the drama train and focused on ball though, he will do good at Greensboro College,) but they have some good talent coming back. They have several kids left who almost ended East's JV winning streak in 2016. They can slay giants if they want too.

East's fate will depend on what Wilmoth can do with the guys. I figure everything will be continued so the new kids won't have to fuss with a new system. Maybe this will keep some on the fence kids perhaps. With all his experience I see him being a solid option system coach who knows fundamentals well but isn't afraid to air it out to his fastest kids. He will have to experience the dip when the rest of the undefeated JV kids go but he will have freshman classes all his own in a couple of years. Could make an actual program in Ronda perhaps instead of a peak then a massive fall.

Elkin's gonna be an enigma. They will be one of the top squads on the 1A side to end this alignment but this year they will be pretty young. They got all those seniors to replace especially that multi year starter at QB and the Mayes kid. I can't really figure them yet. I'll see them in a few weeks at our 7 on 7 so it will be maybe a chance to see them. JV wise I see them fielding a squad despite their middle school issues last year. I'll be rooting for them besides in week 2 ;).

Starmount's hard to figure as well but Grinton's a very solid coach and he did great things considering he was at North Iredell where it's harder to win than Bruce Willis trying to stop that Asteroid all those years ago.. Along with the other coaches I expect them to be solid here before too long. I'll be seeing them in a couple of weeks also. Ashe from what I heard is trying to be a little more balanced this year with the run. They got that QB back for another year so I expect them to air it out but if they can make their O more dynamic it could be a fun watch with that mountain high.

North Wilkes is gonna be hard to figure because they lost that RB and several seniors ont he line. That QB they got will probably have to carry the load this year until they find their system back. See a lot of bootleg's and QB keepers in their future. JV wise they had no spectacular athletes but they played hard fundamental ball. #'s wasn't great for them last year they gotta pick those up and get better on defense. Heard their middle school team was solid last year.

West's gonna be mid range; they lost Ortiz but they have won at least 5/6 games the last few years on Thursdays. If Hunt can get them lifting and believing they could maybe shock everyone including me. They ain't at the levels of the 2014 JV team but West loves to surprise everyone in their good years. Hallock won a playoff game with a middle of the road squad.

Alleghany's the hardest one to write about here because they are shrouded in mystery. I just don't know much about them. They started off hot before we all know what happened. JV wise they managed to win some games. This year will show a lot of what Lyon has to offer as the Trojans aren't in an awkward year this year. He will have a year to get his systems and intentions down.

Before August I'll do a ranking but that's gonna be hard to do I'm feeling not so optimistic there yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
Just heard maybe Jayveon Ross staying at EW..If so thats GREAT NEWS FOR THE CARDINALS!!! HE IS A GAME CHANGER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.!!

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Good to hear. WC has lost a couple significant assistant coaches. One to New Bern and another somewhere out East as well I believe. Both of these men were creative offensive minds and will be hard to replace. WC maybe takes a step back on O this season.

Ross is a player; he impressed me much when when 7 on 7'ed them last year. He will be a stud for East if he stays. They need him quite a bit to make sure the transition works.

WC being in flux makes the conference more interesting. ? is will that make Turner be in charge more. I remember his first year he tried all kinds of unique stuff for high school ball and it didn't work well at all. In his defense now his talent's way better than in 2014 but maybe WC being in flux is what that conference needs.

Central just picked up a HUGE addition to their staff in Josh Pardue.

He had it rough at Walkertown but he knows how to coach a defense. Will def help WC.

Ross is a player; he impressed me much when when 7 on 7'ed them last year. He will be a stud for East if he stays. They need him quite a bit to make sure the transition works.

WC being in flux makes the conference more interesting. ? is will that make Turner be in charge more. I remember his first year he tried all kinds of unique stuff for high school ball and it didn't work well at all. In his defense now his talent's way better than in 2014 but maybe WC being in flux is what that conference needs.

The only year Turner ran the offense was in 2015 when they went 10-3. Last year he called the defense.

Did any assistant coaches leave East Wilkes? Heard through the grapevine that Coach Smith is no longer at EW....?

Last edited:
Dang. He is a super coach, and an even better person. Good luck at WC, Coach Smith. WC has picked up two great assistant coaches in Pardue( Walkertown) and Smith (EW).

If the staff additions improve the defense any then WC should be just as good as last year. Step back on offense and a step up on defense. Roll through the conference then lose in the 1st or 2nd round. I’m most interested in Elkin and those young guys and of course Morrison at WC.

Is the 8th grader from East Wilkes middle with all the speed and moves still in the area.?.i think his last name may have been Robinson...seemed like a special athlete..with varsity speed already..

It figures. He will be special. I could see him in a starting varsity role at EW..esp defensive backfield. With his speed he could have been used the same way that Damien Reid was used in their offensive scheme as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT