ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread 2018

Forbush 40, North Surry 8

2 Things:

1.This is Forbush's best freshman class in a long, long time. They are a solid group of a kids Remind me a bit of those mid 00's classes that played under Mitchell. Not much size like they had in those days but they play real hard and have some speed to them; first fast Forbush team I've seen in all my years. They are very fundamentally sound; a lot of it is due to Johnson's coaching. Question is can they gain size when they got older? Wait and see. I think they have the instincts and speed to be a competitive group in a few years.

2 This was nothing I was expecting heading into the game. Don't know if it was the long ride or layoff since the Central game but they just seemed out of sorts during warm ups and it didn't improve. We had the pieces to give them headaches all night but the kids just couldn't piece it together until later and it fell off then. When it comes down to it they just gotta learn how to get ready for games; a lot of that is just due to being young. We got a ton of freshman playing new roles which is unusual compared to the past few years as usually we have sophomores lead. They took a pounding but I think it is what they needed to open their eyes a bit. The next three games will be wars for them but I think they will play better for what they had to go thru and will help them as sophomores next year.

I expect that stubborn squad from most of this year to show up these next few weeks not the one from yesterday.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Schedule:

Tonight's Games:

Alleghany 35, North Wilkes 6

Trojans are 8-2 on the year now with the finale with Elkin coming up. Another win will give them 9 wins and 3rd place.

Forbush 42, Walkertown 6

Falcons need 2 more wins for a perfect season. Play West Stokes in King next Thursday in what could be a good one. No idea if they have played Surry Central yet that could be good as well.

Surry Central 12, Carver 6

Another big win for a scrappy Central team. This is Central's first ever JV win over Carver since joining the WPAC. Central's beaten the Jackets on varsity but never has come close on JV until this year.

East Wilkes at Elkin
West Wilkes at Ashe

Delayed:

West Stokes at North Surry November 7th

Last edited:
Slasher, nothing to do with this thread, but saw a good MS game yesterday between N. Surry and Chestnut Grove. Future looks bright for both of those teams.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
WC 0 Starmount 35, WC was heavily depleted with injuries and I believe a few suspensions, but the JV Rams have a solid football team congrats to Starmount on the conference title

Slasher, nothing to do with this thread, but saw a good MS game yesterday between N. Surry and Chestnut Grove. Future looks bright for both of those teams.

This freshman group we got coming in next year is one I'm real excited about. They were solid in pee wee last year and have a ton of potential I'm looking forward to seeing how much they grow over the next few years with our staff. They got some things to work on due to transitioning up a level but I'm excited we got some gamers. I think they will be fun to watch on JV next year. The 7th graders we got coming can be just as potentially as solid as well. We got 2 teams and they are in the top 3 of the pee wee league. 2nd's North Stokes's pee wee team.

Crazy part is I've only watched these kids play twice lol. Pee Wee games were always too early last year for me.

Forbush vs North in 2021's could be a crazy game this freshman class will be seniors and our incoming class will be juniors. May be non conference but a good use of a game if so. Hard to say how the alignment will go.

Last edited:
Heard N. Surry had some good backs. Chestnut Grove went undefeated this year.

We do. We had our finale today vs Central and since Central's in rough shape with their #'s it was 34-0 at half and the bench got plenty of time. They played very hard and I have a little more optimism in that group besides the top kids. Once they get coached and get older they can be potentially solid. I'm looking forward to next year's team too; they will be different in style but fun to watch as well.

Central and Southeastern were the other 2 games I watched so far they are both in rough shape. Central doesn't have kids like they used too; might not have a squad next year and that's sad. South has talent but they aren't being coached enough. Their O line is good sized for that level just not coached like they should be. They need to focus more on fundamentals and less on hard hits.

CG looked solid. That RB they have is pretty good. Good sized line for a middle school. I'm just glad for some parity coming up it's good for the area.

North Surry 20, Walkertown 14

What a cold night it was tonight; I was very surprised by how much the temperature dropped in such a short bit. Gonna be a cold last few weeks to the season.

As for the game it was a mess. All these long breaks between games haven't been the least helpful to us this year. Kids as young as the ones we got this year need consistency but sadly the weather ain't helped a lick. Just the breaks for this odd season. As a whole D wise we played 3 times better than we did vs Forbush regardless of the score but O wise we are still getting there. Walkertown had a little to do with that but it was mostly us struggling with ourselves.

D wise I thought we stepped up majorly and played like we needed to. They had 1 drive on our starters where they scored the rest were either stops or turnovers. They badly botched a punt for a safety which gave us cushion. They scored their 2nd TD on the bench very late enough to make them think they had a chance then they badly botched an onside kick for a much needed laugh on my end.

O wise the kids are still trying to find a rhythm due to all the mess this year. Expect next year to be much better there potentially but we were explosive when we had to be and put it away for a nice win.

Next week we go play Carver on Monday. No idea what to expect there.

Bears at ES JV scheduled for Thurs has been moved to Monday night 7:00 (due to ES volleyball hosting regional final Thurs)

Reactions: MA19juice
Final Thursday Slate:

Elkin at Alleghany*
Surry Central at Walkertown*
Forbush at West Stokes*
Ashe at Starmount*
Wilkes Central at East Wilkes*
West Wilkes at North Wilkes*
Atkins at Carver*

Delayed until Monday:

Mount Airy at East Surry*
North Surry at Carver*

Delayed until Wendsday:

West Stokes at North Surry*

No idea on Makeup:

Forbush at Surry Central*

Killer slate of finale games for the JV squads across the area tonight.

Starmount's clinched their first JV conference title in at least 6 years already last week with an annihilation of Wilkes Central but have a chance to finish it out with a bang by beating Ashe tonight. Alleghany meanwhile has a chance to snag 2nd place if they take care of the Elks tonight and WC loses against all odds to a very hard willed East squad who's managed to make it thru the year with that limited roster. By finishing the year that group bested the '13 team that folded. North Wilkes meanwhile goes to Millers Creek to try and get an upset win to end the year.

In the Northwest everything's in a wait and see stance as the big JV game is on for Monday. It's a battle of goliath's in Pilot as the area's best JV offense goes and plays one of the more reliable JV programs in East. East's had a rougher year than usual due to a tough schedule but they have certainly been tested. I'd actually give them that edge over the Bears. ? is can the Cards stop the passing game enough to run the option and keep the ball away from them. As for North Stokes/South Stokes I guess South forfeited the game I couldn't find any info if they are playing or not.

In WPAC play Forbush travels to King to try and knock the Wildcats off for 1 more win and potentially the JV title. The Falcons haven't played Central yet so no idea if this is their finale. It's gonna take a hard fight from the Falcons to do this as they have never beaten West at any level in Football before dating back to 2009. West has a knack for tough games so this may be a shocker in either way. Carver meanwhile hosts Atkins in a chance for one more W. Atkins has the area's worst JV offense despite scoring a little more than usual the past few weeks while Carver has to fight the #'s battle. The Jackets have a short rebound as the host North Surry Monday at 6.

The conference's most hard headed surprise team in Surry Central heads to Walkertown tonight to get at least 1 more surprise win. Walkertown played North Surry very hard on Monday but a lot of that was due to a very lax ref crew and mistakes on North's part in what shoulda been a runaway turned into a surprise. Central meanwhile has the power to outhit the Pack so I don't expect a runaway win here.

Hope everyone has a good evening in this last Thursday!

Carver and Atkins are not playing tonight in JV. The varsity game was moved to tonight.

Have not heard of a make-up date.

West beat Forbush 14-13 and ruined their undefeated season .They finish 9-1 and West plays North Surry next week with a lot on the line. West wins they are co champs, they lose, North Surry and Forbush are Co conference champs assuming North beats Carver like, which they should.

Please tell me more?

I don't rag on refs 99% of the time because it's a job that's impossible to handle and anyone make good and bad calls all that time but the crew we had Monday night was the 1% that makes me talkative. That crew we had were just odd in every way.

The first half alone I counted Walkertown offsides at least 7 times in the drives they had. Two or three of those times it was very subtle movement on the O line only puristists see the other 4/5 times it was their guards or WR's flat out moving before the play started and they would never call it. Those were bad. Their first drive had 3 false starts in a row in it that they didn't call. They finally did throw a flag once in the third but it was too little too late to make them look legit. In contrast last year we played Carver's JV squad and they were bad for same things yet the refs threw flags from the start nipping it in the bud before it got out of hand. Not the case here and it made for a long game.

They started getting friendly with the flags in the 2nd on us. They threw a roughing the punter penalty in the 2nd quarter that was just awful. The punt before that one they botched the snap bad for a 10+ yard loss and we got a safety out of it. The play in question had their line let 3 of our D lineman thru it and we were inches from touching the punter before he kicked the ball; they shoulda let that one go because their line was blocking so bad that it was inevitable we get thru and be in the punter's lap. The worst penalty though they threw was late in the 4th. We had our bench in and they were driving with their starters. We put a good rush on their QB and he threw a horrendously bad pass to one of our harder working DB's who picked it off and we had the game done until they threw a questionable roughing the passer penalty out of nowhere. We hit the kid but it wasn't late or overly hard. They went on to score which shouldn't have happened. That one hurt because that kid deserved that pick and that one rubbed me something terrible.

We finally got over ourselves and did what we had to do after the half or else it woulda been a game that we had lost easily due to their breaks. The kids how to grow up and learn how to deal with the adversity for once and they did okay with it. In that way I gotta deal with the real and say the missed calls were quite helpful in an odd way. Wasn't happy with that last score but a win's a win.

Last edited:
Carver and Atkins are not playing tonight in JV. The varsity game was moved to tonight.

Have not heard of a make-up date.

Yeah I figured so once I seen Atkins's Twitter account lol. Their MP page wasn't updated.

Congrats to Hamlin and his staff though they work too hard every year to go o-ffer in a season. I actually called them beating Carver a few weeks back; Jackets just didn't impress me.

Alleghany beat Elkin on Halloween night 29-15 to finish 8-2.

Alleghany's easily the surprise team of this year. Didn't think the Trojans would do well; pleasantly surprised. They made the transfer to high school ball okay; unlike North Wilkes's freshman class. I see the Trojans doing well in small 1A in a couple of years.

Elkin finishes middle of the road; not bad for a group with low depth. QB RB was the difference for them. What if the RB stayed at East Wilkes though? Would the Cards have been competitive like everyone claims they would have?

No. Same coaches at EW. Probably would have won some games, if they played him. EW football is a political thing. That kid as good as he is, is not part of the “plan”. He would steal too much of someone else’s thunder or position. Putting the best players in the right spots and winning is now secondary to making whoever happy that this kid is playing and some other kid is not playing a particular position or playing at all. Just what I have witnessed this year and I love EW. Very disappointing.

You may go to EW games and you can think what you like but you don't know the HC at EW. He is one of the least political people I know. I guarantee you he is doing and will do right by the kids and winning is definitely in his plan. If you are willing to go talk to him face to face I think you will find that I am right. If not quit putting crap like this on a board where some people might actually believe you.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
No. Same coaches at EW. Probably would have won some games, if they played him. EW football is a political thing. That kid as good as he is, is not part of the “plan”. He would steal too much of someone else’s thunder or position. Putting the best players in the right spots and winning is now secondary to making whoever happy that this kid is playing and some other kid is not playing a particular position or playing at all. Just what I have witnessed this year and I love EW. Very disappointing.

Maybe you could have said that about East Wilkes in the 80's and 90's, but I do not believe that is accurate today. This group of JV kids lacks the talent of more recent groups, but just wait, this group coming up from middle school is the real deal.

The kid that left for Elkin would have been 8 quartered until he would have been eventually moved up to varsity. He was that good.

WC 38 EW 20 excellent game to close out the season, EW played hard and they have a few play makers, but WC made to many plays down the stretch to win it, Congrats to the Eagles for finishing the year the right way

Poor program only has like 30 conference titles in their 50 year history. Glad to see them finally break through.

Those Starmount teams are a thing of the past; they just don't have the dynamics and talent base they used to have. I've met the new HC he is a good guy so I'm glad he's got something there. Time will tell if these kids will even make it past the 2nd round with how tough 1AA can potentially get but good for them if that defense holds up.

Anything's better than Wilkes Central winning it over and over they have the dynamics and talent base to do so but they haven't been so that's a + for that conference. If they do it will be rough sleddings

Maybe you could have said that about East Wilkes in the 80's and 90's, but I do not believe that is accurate today. This group of JV kids lacks the talent of more recent groups, but just wait, this group coming up from middle school is the real deal.

Yeah I've read good things about that incoming group. They've beat teams like a drum so far. Central's good too but they have had more down to earth games I see East winning the middle school title.

Those Starmount teams are a thing of the past; they just don't have the dynamics and talent base they used to have. I've met the new HC he is a good guy so I'm glad he's got something there. Time will tell if these kids will even make it past the 2nd round with how tough 1AA can potentially get but good for them if that defense holds up.

Anything's better than Wilkes Central winning it over and over they have the dynamics and talent base to do so but they haven't been so that's a + for that conference. If they do it will be rough sleddings

Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time. Seems like they have some young talent on the way, but you are right, the local economics, demographics and feeder system isn’t the same as it used to be so I don’t see them being consistent like the past.

I agree 100%, the years where Starmount had game won before they got off the bus are a thing of history, believe they will still have good teams from time to time but nothing like the year in and year out dominance of the past, with that said I know WC freshman and incoming 8th grade class are super small compared to where they have been, depth was an issue all year for us, got to get some more kids to come and and play and keep them out!

North Surry 36, Carver 19

Very proud of the kids, it was a complete 180 from that hair pulling game last week. We found some consistency on offense and never managed to let it go. D had a bad first quarter and it could have easily been much worse like the '13 and '15 games but unlike those games where they beat us the kids got angry and motivated and took control when we needed to. I'd actually rate this as our best conference performance of the year. Atkins game was solid but our O left 6-12 points off the board as well as with the Central game too.

Got to hand it to those kids for Carver they never gave up. I can see why they played every team except us and Forbush to close games. That's their most stubborn freshman group in a few years but they just don't have enough depth especially on the line they finished with 15/16 kids total. Their QB's pretty solid but the rest of the kids weren't in his league. Defense for them is their weakpoint and we exploited them good like we have the past few years.

First quarter was back and forth. It took us just 2 plays to score. Then they drove the rest of it. For some reason the clock wouldn't stop running until the 2nd quarter the refs kept it running despite neither team saying yay for it. We finally asked why it was running after an incompletion and it quit. First half as a result ended very early. We were down 13-6 at one point due to our lack of focus but after that we came alive and never dropped the lead. The 2nd half was all ours. We came out and caused them to lose 30 yards due to sacking them once and having a ton of penalties they self destructed epically there. We caught on fire and scored at will on all our drives and they hit panic mode but no matter what they did they couldn't stop us. We easily coulda gave up 6 more as they ran a kickoff back with 0 seconds left in the game but the refs made a good call as they made an illegal block very early in it and they denied that TD.

I'm very proud of the boys, for them to overcome all the injuries and call ups to varsity and get a winning season's a great thing. It easily coulda been as rough of a year as it was 5 years ago but they play very hard and never quit. Besides that final quarter and a half of the Forbush game we have played everyone very hard even if we might not have won them all. Looking forward to seeing how these kids grow once they hit the weight room and gain some more confidence. But we aren't done yet are we? Looking forward to Wendsday vs West.

Due to their odd self reporting incident Wilkes Central has had to forfeit 2 JV wins over Surry Central and West Wilkes. SC now is over .500 for the year and these added loses helps make a tie for 2nd place with Alleghany in the MVAC.

Oh what a wacky season this has been..

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Due to their odd self reporting incident Wilkes Central has had to forfeit 2 JV wins over Surry Central and West Wilkes. SC now is over .500 for the year and these added loses helps make a tie for 2nd place with Alleghany in the MVAC.

Oh what a wacky season this has been..
WC also forfited the SC game on the varsity as well, there only hope was draw for the playoffs, not sure we even get in with this added loss

North Surry 28, West Stokes 22 OT

After one of the hardest fought games I've ever seen NS play in my time here for the second year in a row the JV Greyhounds are conference champions again.

This game was truly all over the place one of the most dramatic. 1st quarter was a 0-0 deadlock. We scored first and got the conversion and we had the momentum but in typical fashion for JV games West blocked a punt and they scored. 3rd quarter they took a lead on a option based drive we were down 8. The followed one of our better air based drives of the year we scored on a 30+ yarder but missed the 2. We had a major break as they fumbled the next kickoff and we coulda had it again but for some reason they reversed it; still don't know why. They controlled the ball for a while after that and we just couldn't do anything. They scored again and had a 22-14 lead it looked over.

But our D came alive and stopped the two and we started taking the momentum back. The drive that followed is one of the hardest fought I've seen us go thru. We were overreved and held several times so we had some holes to get out of. We finally started passing it good but we got to a 3rd and 25. Luckily they grabbed a WR's facemask and we got a first. They also had a roughing the passer called on them in that drive too. Push come to shove we scored with less than a minute left on a QB keeper. We almost missed the 2 pointer as our QB almost slipped but kept himself up and got it. We had the momentum full on. So for the first time in 11 years since when I played we went to a JV overtime. West got the ball first so we had to be up. West on their first play badly over-snapped it and we got it back. Then we had 4 plays to score and we did on our 3rd one with a pass to end it with the loudest crowd roar I've ever heard from a JV crowd we won it.

So very proud of these kids. They've been thru a lot this year. This title required a lot more hard fighting than last year's title but it makes me enjoy it a little more. We went from the high to the bottom and in between so many times but those kids never lost their love to play, it woulda been easy to do but not these kids. As much as that Forbush game was a drag it was what we needed because it opened the kids eyes and made them angry. Same with Walkertown too; that one should have never been that close but we learned how to win from it. I think in a way it helped us for tonight. Once we beat Carver like a drum on Monday I knew we had a shot we just made it tougher on us but we got out of that hole.

Hats off to West they play really hard despite having limited ways to produce points, they run that offense as solid as they can with what they got. We definitely had to earn it as they had all the momentum and we couldn't seem to do squat for a little bit. That group for them has a come a long way since early in the year and are very well coached, so for us to play a well coached team that hard and come away with it is great for our program. Expect some good varsity games in the next few years.

As for this group of Greyhounds I hope they get in the weight room and get stronger because that's one thing they need to work on. They got Football smarts they just need the strength. Once they do that they have all the potential they can handle. Looking forward to seeing how the freshman class handles being leaders next year as the middle school squad comes up. Very excited for the next JV team already but I'm gonna take the time to enjoy this one first.

Have you heard a Forbush score because if the win, they are outright champs? They lose, it's a three way ties for 1st...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT