ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread 2018

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Yes my not so little JV thread is coming back with a vengeance again this season.. I enjoy this thread quite a bit.

Before I post tonight's schedule I figured I'd do a summary:

2017 was a very fun season across the board on JV.

Elkin dominated the Mountain Valley with tons of easy wins besides a couple of thrillers early and vs. Ashe and WC. Despite getting some injuries the Elks managed to stay afloat long enough to clinch the gold with some time to spare. WC had another solid season despite moving it’s star up to the big time and Ashe returned to form after a couple of seasons in the wilderness. East Wilkes meanwhile fell apart due to getting banged up and North Wilkes fell apart after a promising start. West Wilkes meanwhile had a transition year as did Starmount and Alleghany.

NW wise East rolled to another title after a loss at the start. After a slow rebound the Cards managed to beat a 4A Ragsdale squad and rolled thru the conference slate. MA had a slightly better year but struggled due to low depth but managed to be a solid offensive team. Bishop and Prep didn’t play so all the two powerhouses had to to worry about was a down South team and North Stokes… oh boy.

Last but not least is the WPAC. North Surry finally got their long awaited conference title last year after 3 close years previously and a rough start. North rolled to solid wins out the gate and never looked back. West Stokes meanwhile had it’s worst season since at least 2005 or so as Atkins of all teams got 2nd place who came alive after getting walloped by North in the conference opener. Forbush had it’s best JV squad in several years which managed to finish .500 with wins over Starmount and Carver before numbers issues forced Johnson to move kids up and they finished with a whimper. Central had another rough year finishing with 1 win in an upset over West. Walkertown had a somewhat better than average team but was nothing but a spoiler. Carver managed to make it an entire year before falling apart late.

Tonight’s JV Games:

East Wilkes at East Surry
South Stokes at West Stokes
Forbush at West Wilkes

For sure off tonight:

Alleghany, Ashe County, Atkins, Elkin, Mount Airy, North Stokes, North Surry, North Wilkes, Starmount, Surry Central, Walkertown, Wilkes Central

The 2018 JV season begins in earnest tonight with a very limited but potentially solid slate. Thanks to the in Mass endowment game slate not many teams go tonight in favor of next week. Those who are going tonight have a lot to play for off the bat and present some drama. Now let’s look into these games:

The Ronda Cards travel to Pilot in the technical first game of both new HC’s (JV’s are first played of course lol.) Both teams have a lot of smoke around their JV squads and have a lot to play for. Last year in Ronda the home squad managed to upset the Pilot boys and handed them their 2nd loss in a row in what proved to be a highlight of their season. This year both teams looks to feature a lot of new faces so who knows what to expect here this has always been a solid rivalry.

In King the Wildcats will host a very determined Sauras squad in what should be another thriller. The past two seasons things have changed for a more competitive series between these two. In ‘16 West had to run it at will to keep the ball from a ball hawking South squad, and last year West had their way the opening half before letting South dominate the final half on defense but the Sauras couldn’t do anything on offense. This year I expect another barnburner as I’ve heard some things about South’s freshman class so we shall see.

And last but not least in Miller’s Creek the Blackhawks will be out for some payback tonight as Forbush comes over. Last year the Falcons had their way to a workman like shutout to start the year out 1-0 and it broke their almost 2 year long losing streak in the process to a .500 season. West meanwhile had a tough year after two solid years and had a bitter taste in their mouths. Tonight we will see what each program has to offer for the future. Both will have very small rosters as Forbush barely made it last year and West looks to have between 20-25. Both are playing to build the interest back up.

Have a wonderful evening folks's.. it's getting closer.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I also enjoy the JV as much as the Varsity, JV teams rarely get much attention.

Purest of the major forms of Football in my opinion. Never cared for Pee Wee or Middle ball; JV is when it starts to get fun. Crowds aren't great but I love it because you can hear more of the action and feel it.

First result of the year:

West Stokes pulled out another close win over South 8-6. 3rd close game in a row.

West Wilkes 28, Forbush 21

The Blackhawks get revenge for their loss in 2017 with a win in a T total thriller. A tale of two halves for this game; the 'Bush dominated early before falling appart in the 2nd half as West woke up and scored twice in the 3rd to get momentum back.

Sounds like this one was pretty good; in the one clip I seen it drew a solid base on both sides. West's crowd was loud for a JV.

West had 22 or so kids and Forbush had barely 20. Sad to see for both of them. Forbush struggled hard last year with depth in the end of the season; may be earlier this year unless they get a few freshman out. Both teams had size to them; especially West. Their O line looks solid in size.

Last edited:
EW has had two smaller jv classes in a row. They will be much better next year. They will not be good at all this year. Hopefully it's not a pre cursor of what the varsity is in for tonight, but i believe it is. I'm just not sold on the change of offense and, believe the program as a whole, will have issues trying to score points while they are in the Spread. I just didn't see enough athletes with catching ability to make it work. It could possibly lead to a lot of 3 and outs, while keeping the defense on the field a long time this year. That normally lends itself to high scoring games for the opponent, and leaves the defense feeling dejected.

Last edited:
EW has had two smaller jv classes in a row. They will be much better next year. They will not be good at all this year. Hopefully it's not a pre cursor of what the varsity is in for tonight, but i believe it is. I'm just not sold on the change of offense and, believe the program as a whole, will have issues trying to score points while they are in the Spread. I just didn't see enough athletes with catching ability to make it work. It could possibly lead to a lot of 3 and outs, while keeping the defense on the field a long time this year. That normally lends itself to high scoring games for the opponent, and leaves the defense feeling dejected.

Not lying here but I had a feeling East would be a spread team last year. We 7 on 7'ed them and I brought it up and said "Well they will go spread at some point and will probably regret it because the QB and WR that was so good will be gone by then to play in it."

I can see why Wilmoth did it; he's trying to make the program his own but he did it WAY too late; he shoulda stayed in the option for a year then change it next year but I ain't him so who knows.

Hear East's middle school should be good this year so hopefully so. East's a nice school and i liked their fans they deserve to compete.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
West Wilkes 28, Forbush 21

The Blackhawks get revenge for their loss in 2017 with a win in a T total thriller. A tale of two halves for this game; the 'Bush dominated early before falling appart in the 2nd half as West woke up and scored twice in the 3rd to get momentum back.

Sounds like this one was pretty good; in the one clip I seen it drew a solid base on both sides. West's crowd was loud for a JV.

West had 22 or so kids and Forbush had barely 20. Sad to see for both of them. Forbush struggled hard last year with depth in the end of the season; may be earlier this year unless they get a few freshman out. Both teams had size to them; especially West. Their O line looks solid in size.

Some misinformation here...West Wilkes lost 25-16.

LOL. How does someone get the winner/loser of the game wrong? It's ok to get the score wrong, but you have to at least get the winner correct before ya post. Lol.

LOL. How does someone get the winner/loser of the game wrong? It's ok to get the score wrong, but you have to at least get the winner correct before ya post. Lol.

West Wilkes put the score wrong on their max preps site; no one clarified until later. I have no clue what in the hell they were thinking but it's not my fault as I just report what I see.

If every school had a Twitter and did their job it wouldn't be such a headache every week to report. Some schools just ain't there yet apparently lol.

Week 2 JV Slate:

West Stokes vs. Mount Airy (At MA Middle)
Starmount at. East Surry
North Surry at Elkin
Surry Central at East Wilkes
North Iredell
at Forbush
North Wilkes at South Stokes
North Stokes at Walkertown
Alexander Central at Wilkes Central
Grayson Co VA at Alleghany
Watauga at Ashe County
RJ Reynolds at Atkins
Oak Grove at Carver

West Wilkes is off.

Tonight offers a truly loaded slate of JV action across the area.

In MVAC play Wilkes Central opens at home vs. Alexander Central. East Wilkes hosts Surry Central in East’s home opener and Central’s first JV game of the season. East will have to play tough ball tonight but thankfully the lack of heat will help. Alleghany hosts rivals Grayson County while Ashe hosts Watauga. Starmount goes to see East Surry in Pilot in what could be an intresting one, East struggled with the Rams last year. Elkin meanwhile hosts North Surry.

In NW play the headliner is the West Stokes vs. MA matchup which is being played at MA middle. Should be an interesting affair there as it’s not meant for a high school audience but when nature calls you gotta go. . North Stokes meanwhile renews a rivalry of old with Walkertown who the Vikings beat in their last matchup in 2016. They would LOVE to do it again. South Stokes meanwhile hosts North Wilkes in Sauratown.

In WPAC North Surry heads down south to Elkin in what should be an interesting matchup as it’s both squads first matchup of the year. Forbush is at home vs. North Iredell in their first matchup. And last but not least is Carver who has from what I heard found enough kids to do JV for now so it will be an interesting matchup as Oak Grove takes the ride up to Winston.

This week will finally offer a full slate of choices for an average fan to attend on such a beautiful day outside. Have a good evening folks!

East Wilkes 28, Surry Central 20
Walkertown 22, North Stokes 8
Forbush 21, North Iredell 0
RJR 33, Atkins 0
Grayson 28, Alleghany 21
AL Central 36, Wilkes Central 12

Last edited:
Ashe score on Max Preps was wrong here; 34-12 loss to Watauga.

Guy needs to be banned for proving false scores!

Last edited:
North Surry 44, Elkin 22

More info later..

Solid win for the 'Hounds tonight to avenge last year. I wasn't quite sure what to expect because we scrimmaged very well but it's hard to tell of that. I was presently surprised. Elkin's #'s aren't great but they play hard. That kid at RB is as good as everyone says he is; he will be a load to handle come conference time. QB's okay; better runner than passer by far.

We started off terrible as the QB made a dumb throw and they drove for a TD but after we got that out of our system we did fine. Offense looks very solid for being early in the year; D is much younger and needs some work but they will get better thru the year. Elkin's option pitches on O will be hard to prep for on JV for their opponents. Offense looks to have some variety to it this season so I'll be excited to see how it does come WPAC time.

We are young but I like the kids spirit; if we keep improving every week it will be a fun JV season.

Week 3 JV Games:

Mount Airy at Elkin
East Surry at North Surry
Surry Central at Wilkes Central
West Stokes at Starmount
Trinity at South Stokes
North Stokes at West Wilkes
Hibriten at Ashe County
Reagan at Atkins (6 PM Start)
Glenn at Carver
Parkland at Walkertown

Alleghany, East Wilkes, and Forbush are off.

Week 3 prevents some more solid matchups for all us fans.

In MVAC play Elkin is reeling after their 10 game win streak was broken last week at home by the team they beat first in it. Tonight they host Mount Airy hoping to find some momentum on defense. Wilkes Central meanwhile is having their home opener vs. Surry Central tonight hoping to get a momentum switch. Ashe County plays Hibriten at home hoping for another upset as they dropped Watauga last week. Starmount hosts West Stokes and hopes to make it a two year win streak over the Wildcats. And last but not least is West Wilkes who host North Stokes and hopes to avenge a loss week 1.

In NW play East Surry heads up to MA for their first county matchup of the season vs. North Surry. MA goes down south to Elkin while South is again at home vs. Trinity who is in their first matchup; South wants a 2 game win streak.

In WPAC play North Surry hosts East in what should be a fun matchup. Surry Central is hoping to continue their surprising week 1 score with another close game, while West is a little bit down the road in Ram land. Atkins hosts Reagan in a game the Camels hope to produce some points in as they were shut out last week but easier said than done. Carver hosts Glenn in what could be a close matchup; Glenn’s very young and Carver lost by a point last week to Oak Grove in a wacky ball game. Last but not least is Walkertown who’s hosting an on the rise Parkland squad.

Much interesting matchups on the slate tonight and I hope everyone has a good evening.

Some Scores:

Mount Airy 35-0 over Elkin
East Surry 12-7 over North Surry
South Stokes 33-18 over Trinity
Reagan 40-6 over Atkins
Parkland 47-6 over Walkertown
Glenn 26-8 over Carver
Wilkes Central 16-13 over Surry Central
West Wilkes 16-14 over North Stokes (Woulda loved to seen an upset here!)

Last edited:
Found these off Max Preps; need verification to see if they are all legit because the same guy all posted them. He got the W Wilkes/Forbush game wrong so I'm gonna be cautious all year in case:

West Wilkes 49, North Stokes 21 (WRONG)
Wilkes Central 28, Surry Central 27 (WRONG)
Ashe County 34, Hibriten 31 (Prob Wrong)

Last edited:
East Surry 12, North Surry 7

For some odd reason it is impossible to play East on JV under normal conditions.. 3 out of the last 4 years we had to wait 30 minutes for a storm and it affected the game. UGH, so frustrating! We had a 30 minute lightning delay at the end of the first quarter and it rained making the field wet. We gonna have to rent a dome or something to get a normal game in from the way it looks.

Very proud of the kids effort last night; for a bunch of freshman who had to learn on the fly thanks to middle school ball they have turned it around very fast and are quite fun to watch. We still got a way to go in some spots but a week off will be good for those kids because it will allow them to re-focus and work on some stuff.

Defensively besides the score we played outstanding especially in the 2nd half. The kids fought hard and gave it everything they got. East's 2 TD's came right after the lightning delay that lasted 30 minutes.. we weren't in the right head place then. Very unfortunate that lightning hit; it changed the game completely. Offensively we need some work but that's due to some lineup changes; it coulda went a lot worse considering.

This game however gives me hope for the conference part of the season it's gonna be quite fun. Got a week off now before we take the long trip to Mount Airy for what could be a good one..

The West Wilkes/North Stokes game was a good game to attend. North led through 3 qtrs---West utilized there size in the second half to control the LOS and went ball control(offense became their best defense). Think they held the ball the entire 3qtr before tying it up minutes into 4th qtr. North scored on the kickoff to go up 14-8 only to again allow West to drive down the field with another time consuming drive to take the lead 16-14. North had a good return to about mid field with little over 2min to go but threw an interception to basically end the game. Overall North went toe to toe with West with 16 players(13 freshman, 3 soph)---two turnovers(1 was on WW 14yd with 1st and 10)and of course the int. Something to build on but still small in numbers.

Mt Airy will be a tough game as they have couple of skilled 9th graders who can take it to the house.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
The West Wilkes/North Stokes game was a good game to attend. North led through 3 qtrs---West utilized there size in the second half to control the LOS and went ball control(offense became their best defense). Think they held the ball the entire 3qtr before tying it up minutes into 4th qtr. North scored on the kickoff to go up 14-8 only to again allow West to drive down the field with another time consuming drive to take the lead 16-14. North had a good return to about mid field with little over 2min to go but threw an interception to basically end the game. Overall North went toe to toe with West with 16 players(13 freshman, 3 soph)---two turnovers(1 was on WW 14yd with 1st and 10)and of course the int. Something to build on but still small in numbers.

Mt Airy will be a tough game as they have couple of skilled 9th graders who can take it to the house.

Glad to see North Stokes fighting; that middle school team they had last year was really good for that level. If they stay in house who knows what they can do under Sessoms. Found their JV Hudl and watched a few clips; I like what they got there. #'s aren't great but they play real hard. QB has a decent arm on him and I like the offense they are using with him. That kid who ran the kickoff back can move; almost had one with another kid vs. Walkertown too.

I think they can play with North Wilkes next week. NW was very disappointing in the scrimmage we had with them. Their numbers aren't great either (only 20 or so,) and they aren't as big as West Wilkes was. Defense for them isn't good vs. the pass or long runs and their O line struggles. Might be a good game in Hays.

Last edited:
Glad to see North Stokes fighting; that middle school team they had last year was really good for that level. If they stay in house who knows what they can do under Sessoms. Found their JV Hudl and watched a few clips; I like what they got there. #'s aren't great but they play real hard. QB has a decent arm on him and I like the offense they are using with him. That kid who ran the kickoff back can move; almost had one with another kid vs. Walkertown too.

I think they can play with North Wilkes next week. NW was very disappointing in the scrimmage we had with them. Their numbers aren't great either (only 20 or so,) and they aren't as big as West Wilkes was. Defense for them isn't good vs. the pass or long runs and their O line struggles. Might be a good game in Hays.

Nothing to do with JV, but I have heard rumors that the N. Stokes MS (can’t remember name) is not fielding a team. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor. If they are not could be a blow to Sessoms efforts to try and rebuild.

Nothing to do with JV, but I have heard rumors that the N. Stokes MS (can’t remember name) is not fielding a team. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor. If they are not could be a blow to Sessoms efforts to try and rebuild.
This is true. Piney Grove (N. Stokes MS) is not fielding a football team. They did not have 11 players come out.

:(

Poor Danbury; they don't deserve none of this. Every community deserves a football squad.

The school board has publicly said that North Stokes is on the list of being shut down within the next 10 years. Sadly, you’ll see this more and more in the future with schools in the middle of no where. It’s hard for North Stokes to compete when the other 2 schools in their county are in a city setting, and 1 of those schools looks like a college campus with its facilities.

The middle school did decide to fold due to low numbers(think they should have waited till after first week of school) however I think most of the 7th graders were playing down for the little league program which impacted this.
It will always be a struggle with numbers and someday will be a tough decision that will have to be made if things don’t change—-

The middle school did decide to fold due to low numbers(think they should have waited till after first week of school) however I think most of the 7th graders were playing down for the little league program which impacted this.
—-

You have to be kidding me, playing for youth football team and not school team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT