ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread 2017 Edition

North Surry 27, West Stokes 6

Great finale for the JV Greyhounds. We finally got a game that always has haunted us off our backs. Thrillers with West has cost us the last few years.

Heading into this I wasn’t sure if we’d pull it out or sandbag it due to the fact we had 5+ starters out for various things (lost 3 to the FFA convention and had a few hurt,) but the kids we put in managed to play well considering most hadn’t started before. That’s a + for next year. West played very hard considering all they’ve went thru this year and made us earn it from kickoff to the final whistle which is what we were expecting and needed. In the big picture they were our biggest and only real challenge we had in conference play this year. First half was very close. We got the ball first and scored on a 30 yard pass on the first drive but missed the XP. For a while it looked like it may have cost us. The rest of the first half was scoreless until the very last play before halftime where they scored on a freak one handed catch. Thankfully that miss came in handy as they had a botched snap and only settled with 6.

2nd half was a full circle moment for the guys. We lost the first 2 games due to horrendous 2nd halfs so to win due a strong 2nd half was awesome. West got the ball first but stalled and tried to punt but had an epically bad snap which we recovered at their 12. 2 plays later we scored and their avalanche started for West. They got the ball back and took some time off the clock but we got it back. Much like the last drive it took 2 plays and we scored again on a 70 yard run for our RB that more or less sealed it. West went exclusively to the pass and we got a pick six in the 4th. West decided to play their bench like we were doing and that was that.

Overall this is one of the most unique seasons I’ve experienced with the JV’s. To say I expected this win streak is just folly; after the start we had I was expecting a rough year. Then all of a sudden we came ready to play MA and just started rolling. It was week by week at that point because we played a lot of squads no one knew anything about. We had fun nights against Atkins, Carver, and Forbush and played meh against Walkertown and Central but we had to prep for everything and anything. What impressed me the most about these kids were 2 things: 1.Their desire to get better, and 2.The team spirit. After those 2 awful non conference starters they learned how to practice and prep and really that was the best thing for them. They actually scored more and gave up less than last year’s team in conference play; I never thought I’d see that. We turned the corner defensively after Walkertown and played good ball. Offensively we were fun to watch East Surry game and on.

I’ll miss watching these fellas play; they weren’t as intense as last year’s squad but they were fun in their own right. They are one of the best transformation stories I’ve seen but like the cliche the sky is high for them. They got a lot of potential and I hope to see them get to it in a couple of years.

JV Slate for the Final Week of Action:

East Surry at Mount Airy*
Walkertown at Surry Central*
Alleghany at Elkin*
South Stokes at North Stokes*
West Stokes at Forbush*
East Wilkes at Wilkes Central*
Starmount at Ashe County*
West Wilkes at North Wilkes*
Carver at Atkins*

Well, well, well.. it’s the ending coda of our JV season tonight.

In MVAC play Elkin’s clinched their share of the conference title baring a 1 in a million loss they will clinch it for them solo tonight at home vs. Alleghany. Wilkes Central’s at home with revenge on the minds after East came from behind to stun them last year.

There will be two outcomes here:

-A win will more than likely clinch the runner up spot for WC
-A loss will make the conference more interesting.

East Wilkes is trying to find some solace in this collapse but can they do it? Ashe hosts Starmount up on the mountain to bring their season to end while North tries to hold off a hot West Wilkes squad who upset Ashe last week.

In the Northwest the 2 juggernants face off in the Granite Center for the JV title. Mount Airy’s been off the past two weeks due to their last 2 opponents not fielding squads. After losing to North Surry MA’s won the last 3 games easily and has been clicking on offense. East Surry meanwhile has turned the switch after losing to the Ronda Cards in the opener and has pulled off some big wins including over 4A Ragsadale. It’s a battle of one of the area’s best JV offenses and the best JV defense in the area. Also in NW play the two Stokes schools will be facing off tonight to see who will win at least 1 game. South Stokes has had a rough season after finishing 3rd last year in WPAC play. Besides close losses to West Stokes and Bartlett Yancy the Sauras haven’t came close to a W. North Stokes meanwhile to the best of what I could find didn’t score until last week (missing the Patrick County JV score stil..) Something has to give in Danbury.

In WPAC play the race really ended 2 weeks ago as North Surry put away a down and out Forbush squad. They got the extra cherry on top last week with their first JV win over West Stokes in 12 years to win the title solo. The Greyhounds have nothing to worry about now. Meanwhile in Winston the fate of the conference is in the balance as Atkins has their season finale at home vs. a very inconsistent Carver team. Still have no clue who won the matchup between Carver and Central last week (Sportsnut can you help?) It’s quite simple with this matchup:

-If Atkins wins they will get their 5th win in a row, finish 5-4, and get 2nd place. North wins by 1 game.

-If Carver wins 2nd place is wide open and North will win the conference by a landslide of 2 games.

To make things even more open ended there are two other games on the slate. In East Bend Forbush hosts West in an interesting game. Both teams are beset by injuries especially Forbush who are on the line of fielding teams or not. West meanwhile has lost their offensive firepower while maintaining a defense. Question is if the Bush can make it to the end or not? Meanwhile in Dobson Central hosts Walkertown in what could be a close affair. Walkertown’s turned it on after getting thumped by West and North; they beat Carver to knock them out of the race and played Atkins well. Central meanwhile badly needed a Win and got one over West but still want more than a 1 dub. If Atkins was to lose any of these teams could have a shot at 2nd.. WPAC definitely has parity now.

Well as for me I'm staying at home and enjoying my first Thursday night off in 2 and a half months; adios..

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Reactions: ESOD
JV Football:
Forbush 0- West Stokes -8
Scored 6 then a safety later came in 2nd Qtr

Received score wrong and changed it. Correct now ! !

Last edited:
Reactions: gdawg74
MaxPrep shows East Surry has more JVs @ 44 than Varsity @ 36
Mount Airy shows 38 Varsity but shows no JV Roster

Last edited:
West's up not the Bush.

Good job buddy.
Yes buddy the poster I got it from has it right now but had it with Forbush up in his first 2 posts.
This is a copy of his first 2 post I got......
JV Football: At the end of the first quarter, Forbush leads 6-0 over West Stokes
JV Football: Forbush gets a safety. Lead is now 8-0.
Then it was right in 3rd Qtr ..JV Football: End of 3rd quarter, West Stokes leads 21-8.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT