ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread 2017 Edition

Styles make fights..NWilkes pummeled EW..and EW beat Starmount...Starmount beats North...crazy!!

Earlier in the season..i Could've saw EW jv running the table until the qb had his leg broken against N.Wilkes and amongst other things that went on with the team. Now i see Elkin and WC beating them. I haven't heard the Ashe/Ew score tonight..but i heard Ashe was good. I would be surprised if EW won tonight.

I don't think anyone was beating Elkin from the jump.

With everyone healthy, Elkin is still the best JV team, followed by Ashe and WC.

North Surry 28, Forbush 14

I say it a lot but this game is nowhere as close as the score indicates here. This wasn’t a full game at all; rather it was just a half. I’ll explain more coming up.

First of all I was nervous heading into this one. Forbush has had a solid year so far; their defense looked pretty solid stats wise. They did lose to Atkins though so I didn’t know what to expect. So it blew my mind to see them arrive with just barely 17 kids. They had 3 or 4 hurt too and moved up a couple; it made a difference. I very much respected their effort; they played very hard despite the depth woes. I played my share of Forbush teams that never cared; this wasn’t one of them.

However push come to shove we had more talent and they couldn’t handle it. We scored on the first drive in 3 plays and they turned it over their first play; we were up 14-0 off the bat before we knew it. They managed to put a drive together but we were up 21-0 before 7:30. Then it got real loony. They drove to the 30 thanks to 15 yarder on us before falling apart with false starts. On 3rd down we sent the house and we knocked the utter crap out of their QB. The hit was legal but it was so hard I could hear it up in the booth. It sounded like a shotgun it was that loud. Thankfully the kid was okay but it freaked me and their coaches out. But they were minus a QB and almost forfeited but they decided on a running clock in the 2nd quarter.

They scored 2 times on the bench but it didn’t matter. Our 2nd string offense made it 20 yards out as time concluded or else we woulda scored. Disappointed with the score but considering what happened it wouldn’t have been morally right to score 40 or so here. But again respect to them; they played hard considering their odds and they’ve won 5 this year which is a huge step upwards for them after last year. I hope they can finish the year out.

As for us it’s been a crazy ride seeing this squad turn it around. Last season was fun because we came ready to hit and loved to thud it; it was dominating how much we loved to hit. This year this team had to figure out how to get there and it’s been a learning to fly year. It coulda been much worse but they found the spark they needed earlier than they needed to and made it a turnaround. The league as a whole has parity and it’s never really had that. It’s been a fun go; one more week game though at West Stokes left..

Atkins 30, Walkertown 16

Surry Central 22, West Stokes 15. Central gets it's first JV win of the season in a thriller from the way it looks..

EW hadnt loss in a few yrs. I was still puttin my money on them. Elkin nor Ashe hadn't been within 4 tds of EW in the last few yrs. Of course i would've still went with them confidently.

That's not true DaBluePrint concerning Elkin and the 4 TD's. I can't speak on Ashe's behalf......well maybe you're talking about the JV teams.....I'm talking about the group of young men...

Its been known for years this Elkin team would be the team to beat.

t

We're on a jv thread bro. What else would i be speaking on? Seems like Elkin jv has got it going pretty good though. If EW had their starting qb and the others that are now off the team...I would be still saying that they had as good a chance as any team in the conference at their 3rd straight conference title. They had won close to 30 straight and they have a few athletes and very good coaching.

I have stated time and time again when speaking of Elkin that "this group of young men" and no this group of young men at EW has never tasted success against these young men from Elkin.

The next good class at EW is the current 7th grade.

Lol group..team..its all the same. Im an EW fan. East is doing well. That's all Im concerned about. Elkin is doing well. Will they beat Elkin? Not likely without all the players that are missing off the team. I suppose the Varsity "group" that's at EW now, ran through all the "groups" their age level throughout their youth. I don't know. I just know what they're doiing now. Coaching changes once you get to High School. You can have all the success as a "group" at the youth level, but if the coaching isn't what it needs to be at the High school level, then it really doesn't matter. Elkin Jv is good, but as a whole, your program hasn't had that much success recently against the Adkins coached squads. Your losses to his teams have been severely lopsided. Much similar to how EW was getting spanked by the Grissom coached Elks, even in years when Ew clearly had more talent. Even in the years that the Elks took the most talented players from EW enroute to consecutive 1a titles..It was Grissom who ultimately sculpted it. If those players would have stayed at EW under the coaches of that time..Ew would have still been only a mediocre team. Good luck to the "groups" at Elkin and EW...except when you play EW!!

Last edited:
Actually its not the same. Many times in fact probably most times in small ball that we're discussing, groups reaching HS get busted up as freshman and sophomore because help is needed at the varsity level whether kids are mentally and physically ready or not.

That didn't happen at Elkin, the staff kept them all down on purpose, playing them together for possible future success. So "group" as I've used many times in this thread applies to the points I've made.

I'm not sure who the JV QB for East is now because I think Lambert is on Varsity as a sophmore. Who is the injured player?

Yes by the way Bryce and Devin and Jared and the rest won I think 4 championships coming up. Their main competition was Central and Alleghany. They may have won more than 4, its been a while....

Just for the record, yes Elkin is my favorite local MVAC NW team but its never been my favorite overall. I've followed them for the past few years and will know kids for another 4 or 5 years. And you are exactly right on the coaching comment, but at small school ball, you can tell in advance...

Starmount will be down a while, Elkin will have a 500ish record next year and then in the running for two seasons, and then rock bottom again. Next year Elkin will be 50% sophomores and will be lucky to field a JV team at all....

East will still be good but will drop off pretty significantly for a couple years and then will bounce back.

And don't forget Elkin is playing without 3 defensive starters and 2 or 3 offensive starters for the season as well, and they didn't bring it on themselves..

Just fun talk, no offense taken and no offense intended.

Fair enough. I was just going on talent level alone.

I don't know a lot about JV or youth league, I just go off what people tell me. I will say that the Morrison kid for WC is by far the best freshman in the conference.

Yes sir he is, and has been since the 5th grade.

Younger than 5th grade he was very small with lots of speed but he had to be in the clear to hurt you.

When he came out in the 5th grade it seemed he grew six inches and 50 lbs.

I will say this though and I cannot say if its still true or not, but not long ago, you rock him and he would back down I witnessed it twice myself.

But JoRay is very very good and will play collegiately. He and his mother seriously considered coming to Elkin to join their "group".

Yes sir he is, and has been since the 5th grade.

Younger than 5th grade he was very small with lots of speed but he had to be in the clear to hurt you.

When he came out in the 5th grade it seemed he grew six inches and 50 lbs.

I will say this though and I cannot say if its still true or not, but not long ago, you rock him and he would back down I witnessed it twice myself.

But JoRay is very very good and will play collegiately. He and his mother seriously considered coming to Elkin to join their "group".

You mind giving a run down on the conference for the foreseeable future based on the talent at the youth level?

No offense takin Buckin Elkin..and none intended my man. Elks will be back flexing soon...Lol gotta hate that. You know Cards and Elks don't mix. LOL !! Here's to an injury free rest of season.

I don't see EW JV winning either of their remaining games. I would be surprised if they're even close. Just realtalk.

I see JoRaye breakin any standin rushing records at WC as well. They've always spread the ball around pretty well, and have been running back by committee most times.

Illuminator I"m not sure you were serious but I'l comment on what I know. Keep in mind I can speak in somewhat absolutes about the current Elkin JV's because I know they started off their "careers by winning 41 straight, most by very wide margins and most with running clock in the first or second quarters. That combined with the fact they are all on JV and other schools have promoted kids to varsity makes it easy to figure out that this particular JV team wasn't going to lose. The only doubts were two of the teams they had never faced being Mt Airy and North Surry.

This is just for fun and could be inaccurate as far as projections go, and this isn't every team, just what I remember. Also, last youth football season I saw exactly one game, this year, zero.

Elkin: Its mainly the freshman class, the sophomore class is pretty good but did lose its best athlete to Starmount after 8th grade. The current 8th grade at Elkin is very weak and matter of fact Elkin did not field a MS team this year. That class lost two key players, one permanently since last season. The kid that went to east will probably return to Elkin HS. Next year Elkin will be made up mostly of Junior and Sophmores and I think can finish middle of pack. in 2019 Elkin can challenge for the conference and will make a deep playoff run. In 2020 they will likely win conference and if healthy and a good seed can win the west and perhaps State. Too many unknowns at this moment....

East: East will still be good next year, nothing like this year but solid and then it will go down until the current 7th graders are contributing. East won't hit last place or anything like that but it won't be near what it is now either. The 7th grade needs to fill a position or two but it has lots of talent.

Ashe: I have no idea how the Ashe JV is doing besides they lost to Elkin but that JV if everyone is playing, has a lot of very talented players! I think Hampton likes to pass but if he'll pound the ball in '19 and '20 they win conference. They got some hogs and 3-4 really good RB.

Central: Starts with JoRay. He's strong and he's fast. Their lineman need work but there is plenty of time. Elkin has always beaten this group even with JoRay and would crush them by 5 or more TD if not for JoRay. The defense will have to improve and like I said above, there's time.

Alleghany: I know the current freshman class is not good any sport.. The current middle school team had never lost but 3 games until this season. All 3 previous losses were to Elkin. They have lost a couple this year I think. Not a lot of speed on this team besides one maybe two kids.

North will be decent but not as good as some of the more recent teams.

Starmount will likely never be what they once were, its gone downhill since the middle schools were established. Its surprised no one that I know. Will be 5-6ish to 8-3ish for the forseeable future. They don't play youth in the MVAC anymore but they would not have finished top 4 in any year recently.

West is 500ish most likely in the near future.

A lot can change and of course a lot is dependent upon coaching and coaching philosophies as well but Elkin is the only team I can see making a deep run say two years from now. There will be other good teams but making deep runs is hard. I failed to mention above about Elkin, its highly likely in '19 and '20 they won't start an OL less than 250 maybe more, and they're all athletic.

Hope that was fun, at the end of the day nothing is certain....

Reactions: Illuminati704
Hopefully the kid that moved to EW will stay. I hear he lives in the EW district anyway. I doubt anyone in his class or the current freshman MVAC conference class including JoRaye is faster than him. Im hearing he likes Cardinal Country and will be staying there.

I agree with Buckin Elks assessment of the future of the MVAC conference. EW varsity will not have collective team talent and speed as they do now for the foreseeable future. They're special and need to handle business. What helps Elkin though is they are small 1a come playoff time. There is way more competition in the 1aa playoffs. A good team in 1a most of the time has a cakewalk into the Western finals. Not so in 1aa.

Last edited:
The injured QB for EW jv was Caden Howell. He runs the triple option well, he is very strong on the field, and has a good fotball IQ. With him running that offense at qb, I liked EW chances of outscoring a lot of teams. EW jv defense left a lot to be desired though.

There's another freshman on JV at WC who is faster than Morrison I'm told. Broke the conference record for the 200 meter in middle school. Don't know his name.

I was serious about the request. Thanks for that. I only have time to keep up with a few varsity teams in the area.

I'm not saying there's not a faster freshman than Morrison but if there is I think he would have to be new to football.

This has been fun conversation guys. I wish all the teams well. I root for them all, might be hard to believe but I'm not a native of the area so that's the reason.

DaPrint, the boys that make up most of the EW JV right now, their defense has always played well against Elkin, better than anyone but Ashe but their offense could never move the ball at all. Elkin defense is fast, quick to the ball, and hard hitting.

I have hear with my own ears many times over the years fans and coaches from across the sideline yelling really stupid stuff like, "you're trying to hurt us", "its just a game"......

Anyway, good conversation and best wishes tonight.

Wow. That sucks..LOL..i mean thats awesome for the Elks. Buckin..you know its a love/hate relationship between the Cards and the Elks. LOL, even down to the fans. I do believe you however. I have heard for years of these upcoming Elks.

Screenshot_2017_10_26_15_29_31.png

Time for the muah to take control again.

MVAC wise it looks like it's Elkin's title to choke away. Tonight they got East Wilkes who's thudded resoundingly after a solid start. East is the last chance of a loss but I just don't see it unless something one in a million happens.

Due to lack of reporting from a lot of schools this is the best results I couild find.

Wilkes Central's turned it around after sand bagging the start. They could finish the year out with a good end. Tonight they face another improved team in Starmount who's having their best run in a while.

Ashe is doing good as well but the scores are hard to find; best I can tell is that they have improved a lot. North Wilkes had a great start but like last year fell apart due to kids getting moved up to fill out the varsity. They should win it out though. Alleghany probably reached their peak as has West Wilkes who is in the cellar spot this season.

Screenshot_2017_10_26_15_29_38.png

Northwest wise it looks as down as it has been. MA's was off last week and will be again this week while East has South Stokes tonight. The title will be determined next Thursday as East has MA. MA will be rested up but East is rolling.

North Stokes to the best of my knowledge finally scored their first TD of the year last week while South's been off not doing much better.

Very bad season for a once proud and solid conference.

Wilkes Central beat both ashe and Alleghany if you’re missing those scores. I don’t know the score but I can probably find out.

Thanks man; I haven't found a bloody thing about some schools so I'm just winging it lol. That'll help.

I'll update it next week; too late for this picture lol.

Screenshot_2017_10_26_15_29_42.png

In WPAC play,

North Surry finally was able to clinch a share of the JV title after 2 close misses in 2014 and 2016 last week. Been a crazy season for the 'Hounds; wonder what the finale will have in store?

Forbush has fallen apart due to injuries and depth issues; they had to request a running clock against North last week as their backup QB got injured. With several kids up on varsity it looks like emphasis on JV is down. Question is can they finish the season or not?

West Stokes is trying to win out to find some solace in a rough season. Surry Central beat them on JV for the first time in ages last week in a defensive thriller. Surry Central's trying to roll as they have Carver tonight. Both teams are playing for pride now as Carver lost it's title hopes to Walkertown and got thudded by North Surry on their way out. Walkertown's trying to figure out how to win out considering they have a great shot at a win tonight vs. Forbush and next week vs. Central.

Atkins is the biggest suprise of the conference by far. They were thudded in the conference opener by North but have won every other game in a row since. They got the break but can determine their fate next week.

It looks like the WPAC will have parity these next few years unlike the first four years..

Tonight’s JV Game Slate:

North Surry at West Stokes*
East Surry at South Stokes*
Surry Central at Carver*
Elkin at East Wilkes*
Wilkes Central at Starmount*
Ashe County at Wilkes Central*
North Wilkes at Alleghany*
Forbush at Walkertown*

Atkins, MA, and North Stokes are off

Some interesting things are afoot in JV play tonight..

In the MVAC Elkin can clinch their share of the title tonight as they will strive to slay the East Wilkes dragon that has haunted the high school landscape these past few years. Starmount and Wilkes Central will be battling for a chance at 2nd in Boonville while North Wilkes hopes to rebound in Sparta while Ashe hopes to roll over West Wilkes.

In NW play, it’s very bland again. East Surry heads to Sauratown to play South Stokes fresh off a two week bye while MA and North Stokes are off.

In WPAC play, North Surry’s done clinched their share of the title but they are going for their first solo JV title since the late 1990’s at least as they head to Wildcat country to face their old foes in West Stokes. Atkins is off this week and watching this matchup; a North loss and a win vs. Carver next week will mean the title will be shared despite North’s win over Atkins in the conference opener. A loss however will knock the Camels out. Central heads to Carver to play for pride vs.a team they have never come close to beating on JV in Carver. And in Walkertown the Wolfpack will be hosting Forbush who will be living on the edge in terms of #’s. Forbush was eliminated for the title hunt last week and is now playing for pride and to make it thru the year while Walkertown wants a 2 game win streak to end the year.

Gonna be an interesting night tonight and a very chilly one; stay bundled up!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT