ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread 2017 Edition

East Wilkes beat West Wilkes 22-0
Wilkes Central beat North Wilkes 26-6

Don't know how accurate either score is but both came from people I would consider reliable.

Carver-26-West Stokes-0-- Final
Starmount 31-14 over Alleghany Report by Deana
North Surry-40-Walkertown-22-- Final
Elkin 14- Ashe County- 6 Last Report By BuckinElkin!! @ 8:09pm
Can you update BuckinElkin!! or was that a final

North Surry 40, Walkertown 22

Real wacky game this one was. Not our best played game at all but it was a nice win none the less.

We came out of the gate firing strong and scored on our first play and scored on the 3rd drive; it was looking easy. Shoulda had another TD but we dropped it. After that Walkertown played very tough and took the lead on us because we missed a PAT. All that did was to piss the kids off and they played good ball all night after that. We scored 27 straight points and put it away by halfway thru the third. We outhit them solidly 2nd quarter on and they got battle fatigued. They scored with 3 or 4 minutes left to make it a more respectable score.

Walkertown lacked a punter so they short punted all night and we had short field; ended up with only 30 plays all night which is very odd. We also came within that TD of having the same score in back to back weeks I’ve never seen happen before. It felt like out of the football twilight zone. Regardless I’m proud of the kids for fighting back but it’s a thing they needed to happen.

Up next is Surry Central in Dobson.

Elkin vs Wilkes Central
Starmount vs East Wilkes

That's all I remember off top of my head.

Wilkes Central has never beaten Elkin with this particular group. Some of the more recent matchups have been very high scoring, like 52-40 I think it was once.

That was with stud RB JoeRay Morrison however, and he is on the varsity squad as a freshman at Central.

Elkin should take this one with some degree of ease, maybe 30-12 or so.

Screenshot_2017_10_05_14_58_39.png

Much has changed since I last put up the MVAC standings. East Wilkes's winning streak came to dramatic and crushing end. Elkin's seized the line and taken command, North Wilkes lost a game, Wilkes Central's come alive after a lathargic start as well as Ashe, and Starmount's winning again. It looks like Alleghany and West will be playing to stay out of the cellar.

Elkin has the best defense out of the conference according to the standings but it'ls between North/East Wilkes and Ashe for the most dyanmic offense. It looks like it's Elkin's to lose right now though but given this conference anything can happen..

Screenshot_2017_10_05_14_59_38.png

The Northwest is still in the same shape it has been. MA and East are on a collision course for another finale. South Stokes almost got Bartlett Yancy last week but they are still winless; North Stokes I'm not sure on yet score wise. I'm missing at least 1 (Patrick County.)

MA has the best offense by only a point over East but East has the way better defense. Question is which one will give up first?

Screenshot_2017_10_05_15_01_11.png

The WPAC's changed very dramatically since last month. North Surry's come alive after a rough start thanks to the win over MA to a 3 game win streak. Forbush got throttled by North Wilkes but is hanging in there. West Stokes lost their first JV conference game since 2013 to Carver who lost to Forbush. Atkins beat Central and Central/Walkertown haven't won yet.

This conference is still very close and could go to the last week.

North Surry's offense has exploaded to the top while Forbush is still below 100 points on the year with North Surry not far off.

Week 8 JV Game Slate:

North Surry 34 at Surry Central 13
Mount Airy 42 at North Stokes 0
Wilkes Central 18 at Elkin 42
Atkins 24 at Forbush 12
East Wilkes 38 at Starmount 24
West Wilkes at Alleghany* ?
Ashe County at North Wilkes*
Walkertown 14 at Carver 0

South Stokes is off.

Potentially fun night on the slate this evening.

In the MVAC Elkin’s at home vs. a very late blooming Wilkes Central squad. The Eagles floundered until conference play where they have won 2 straight. East Wilkes goes to Boonville to play an improved Starmount squad. West Wilkes and Alleghany battle in Sparta to see who can avoid the MVAC cellar while two solid teams in Ashe and North Wilkes battle in Hays.

In the Northwest conference play starts off somewhat. Mount Airy goes to Danbury to play North Stokes while East Surry and South Stokes are off. East plays Trinity next week so there will be a bigger slate for the JV next week.

In the WPAC it’s a full load. Surging North Surry travels to Dobson to play a young Surry Central squad. Meanwhile Forbush hosts Atkins and Walkertown goes to Carver. West Stokes is off.

Hope everyone have a good evening!

Last edited:
Curious why you think the most dynamic offense is between North/East or Ashe?

Not saying you are wrong, but curious to the logic.

I agree. I'll admit I know next to nothing about JV but you have to take competition into account during the out of conference stretch. Norths JV team was just held to 6 points in a conference game. I think using conference games only as a measure of offensive/defensive ability is a more realistic tool for the JVs. Not criticizing though Slash. You do a great job, way better than I could do.

That Atkins win blows my mind; they couldn't do anything against us two games back now they've won 2 in a row.. Sounds like they had a solid lead over Forbush too following the tweets.

Walkertown's D musta really stepped up. Good and HUGE win for them.

North Surry 34, Surry Central 13

Not one of our best performances offensively ironically (more in a bit,) but defensively it’s a huge step upwards. Hope we play that solid on that side the rest of the year.

Opened up the same as we did last week with a TD on the first play. Then like last week we let Central almost run the kick back and they drove to the 1 before stopping them on 4th down. We followed it back with a 99 yard TD where our RB just jogged down the line; it was fun. Central never was the same after that. 2nd quarter was pretty down though we moved it okay but just couldn’t finish drives. We got a TD right before the half to make it 27-0. 2nd half we put the benchers in halfway thru the third and Central scored twice. We didn’t do bad either on offense we have over 100 yard with the 2nd group offense in. The backup RB I enjoyed from the Atkins game had a good night; hope we use him more at the backup spot.

Ironically we had over 400 yards of offense but only those points but hey it’s a win. Defensively we gave up the least we have all year; I’ll definitely take that. We got three big games left that will more than likely determine our year. If we keep the level of play up it could be an interesting finish to the season. Got Carver next week; don’t know very much about them but that’s just part of it.

Week 9 JV Slate:

South Stokes 12 at Mount Airy 47
East Surry 42 at Trinity 8
Carver 22 at North Surry 34
Surry Central 6 at Forbush 14
North Wilkes 0 at Elkin 28
West Stokes 8 at Atkins 16
Wilkes Central at Ashe County*
East Wilkes 46 at Alleghany 7
West Wilkes 16 at Starmount 37

North Stokes, Walkertown are off

Some very interesting matchups on the slate tonight.

In MVAC play Elkin’s run is still going but they face a North Wilkes squad tonight who is reeling after a good start. A loss to Wilkes Central stunned them; a lost tonight will knock them out. Wilkes Central plays Ashe County while East Wilkes plays Alleghany. The game of the conference will be Starmount and West Wilkes. Starmount’s better than their record while West hasn’t found the key yet. Could be West’s last chance at win.

In NW play North Stokes is off. Mount Airy’s at home vs. a winless South Stokes squad while East Surry makes the good haul to Randolph to play a better than average Trinity squad who destroyed South last month.

In WPAC play North Surry returns home to host Carver. Walkertown’s off after getting the program’s first Win of the season on JV last Thursday. West Stokes travels to Atkins for the first time in close to over decade since back when they were in the North State 2A conference. Surry Central goes to East Bend as Forbush is trying to get back on the winning track after losing to Atkins last week while Central’s desperate for a win.

Some potentially good games on the schedule tonight; hope everyone has a good evening.

Last edited:
Atkins 16, West Stokes 8

Huge win for the Camels. After getting thumped by North Surry in the conference opener Atkins has won 3 in a row to top their win total for I'm sure has been the first time in many years. Heck 3/4 years ago they couldn't even field a JV; it's amazinng how much they've came along under Hamlin. Can't say I was expecting a run like this for them though.

Their last 2 games will be doozies.

North Surry 34, Carver 22

After last week I wasn’t sure how this one would go with an inconsistent Carver squad coming up here. However we showed up ready to play and took care of business like we were capable of doing and really I was pleased.

Score doesn’t indicate it but it was our best defensive effort of the season on JV with the starters in; they only had 1 drive where they moved the ball on us with the 1's out playing. They had penalties out the wazoo and our D line just proved to be too much for them. Their offense is a weird one (they run the old full house set that the Panthers run and used to be on the old NCAA video games.) In terms of speed this is the least explosive they’ve been on JV since we started playing them. But they are better coached than they have been and their D made us earn it; we just ate them apart passing it which sat the run up.

2nd half we didn’t play as solid but we were up 21 at the half. We scored twice in the third to put it away pretty much. They ran a fluke kickoff back and scored twice on the bench but it didn’t matter because they had those 3 dud quarters. We were 28 points better before the starters came out; that’s how I will judge this game ultimately. They didn’t give up which is commendable. We let them come back which wasn’t; a lot of that was due to the youth out on the 2nd teams. Gotta get better these last two games at that; finishing games; 2 weeks in a row we were meh at it.

Next Thursday will be interesting to see as we host Forbush.

Elkin has West Wilkes.

Its been known for sometime this group of young men would do well, and they're 7-0 with 3 players out for the season, two of them two way starters I do believe, and all 3 were defensive starters.

Elkin should win easily this evening.

Week 10 JV Slate:

North Stokes at East Surry*
Forbush at North Surry*
West Stokes at Surry Central*
Elkin at West Wilkes*
Starmount at North Wilkes*
Alleghany at Wilkes Central*
Ashe County at East Wilkes*
Atkins at Walkertown*

Carver, Mount Airy, and South Stokes are off

Some real big time implications on the line tonight in JV play.

Elkin’s well on it’s way to a JV title as they host a down and out West Wilkes squad. Ashe travels to Ronda to play East Wilkes; a loss will more than likely knock either team out. Wilkes Central’s at home vs. Alleghany while Starmount goes to Hays to play North Wilkes in what could be a thriller.

In Northwest play only North Stokes and East play tonight in Pilot; every other squad is off.

In WPAC play a huge matchup in Toast this evening as North Surry hosts Forbush. In Dobson Surry Central’s desperate for a win as they host West Stokes while Atkins goes to Walkertown hoping for the unusual: it’s 4th JV win in a row while Carver’s off.

Hope everyone has a good night.

North Surry 28, Forbush 14

North clinches a share of the WPAC JV Title for the first time in over a decade for the program. This team's come a LONG way from game 1 to now. Proud of these kids.

Scores no way indicative of the game. I'll have more details later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT