ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC 2018 Preview

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
MVAC 2018 Preview:

I’m gonna be honest off the bat; this conference preview has been one of the hardest I have ever had to write as there is so many variables that goes into the mix here that could determine how this one will go. One game could determine the fate of 3-5 squads; picking this conference feels like going thru a minefield one botched step and you will lose a limb or you’re sense of smell in that order..

I will either come somewhat close or miss it; that’s what makes these thingy’s fun. I will say teams in the #1 and #8 spot will be the two easiest to figure. Everyone else in between is up for guess but here’s my interpretation. Some folks may get their feelings ruttled.. Oh well.

Let’s go.

1.Wilkes Central Eagles

Ah yes status quo is in effect again for this spot. WC is quite simply the athletic powerhouse of this conference in terms of speed; you will not out athlete them. They have the pre-season POY who they are wisely putting at RB as well in other spots off the film I’ve seen (great move and perfect replacement for Boles.) They return 7 kids on both sides according to Cal Preps that is amazing any way you look at it. The one detriment for the Eagles is they lost a solid senior class but like with many established programs they will re-load and be effective in another way.

Barring a collapse the Eagles will get another trophy.

A.Alleghany Trojans

First up is the young and in transition Trojans. 2017 wasn’t kind to the Sparta boys after an epic start the Trojans struggled thru conference play and to a first round loss vs.dependable 2nd round team Union Academy. Numerous injuries, youth, and very low depth made for a sad ending to their season. Lyon the new HC has had quite a challenge on his back to rebuild the program after Sessoms’s run ended and for a longtime DC in his return home it proved quite troublesome. This year however the Trojan fans seem anxious.

I had to the chance to see the Trojans last Thursday as we scrimmaged them on their practice field. Here’s a few things I noticed:

-Offense has totally changed. Went from straight I and power I to an hybrid option set out a wing T Look. They also do Shotgun when they need to pass. Line has some size but nowhere as big as I expected. Skill guys aren’t super fast.

-Depth is up to mid 20’s for both teams. Won’t be no #’s issues unless the kids get banged up.

However despite the optimism there is some worries for the Trojans. Their O line is very porous in it’s protection or in other words: it’s easy to get thru it. Their offense is really unique and without fast kids I don’t see it working vs. Central, East, or Elkin. Defensively they are bad against the pass so Ashe should have a good night. Against the run they were more capable. JV wise I was disappointed as I heard there was some talent as they finished 2nd in the middle school league but they weren’t very good especially on offense.

2018 may be quite a challenge for Lyon. He has to make them tougher to grow as a whole; he still is in the middle of doing that. By 2020 it may be different but I see this being a transition year in Sparta. The opener with North Stokes may define their season. A win will show hope; however a loss may be a death blow. How they fare this year will define his tenure there in Christmas tree land.

B. Ashe County Huskies

If there is a serious candidate for most improved team I could see these fellas winning it. 2017 in all ways of writing it was saying nightmare for the Huskies. They had a ton of dramas happen to them yet they never gave up and finished the season with a ton of heart and determination. Despite the record it was one of Coach Hampton’s best coaching years in terms of keeping those kids together. A lesser coach woulda let it all fall apart.

However not all was bare in Jefferson as the JV’s had their best season in 3 years with a winning record and a solid season coming a few points of topping Elkin. There is a lot to be happy for if you are a Husky fan as the sophomore class looks potentially very solid. I was very much impressed with their spirits when we 7 on 7’ed them early. They are more hard willed than the last couple of seasons and that QB is as big of a stud as everyone says he is. Defensively they looked more into it and comfortable with the system. Granted it’s not pure football I had a good feeling for them coming out of it. Some of their Hudl footage looked very good as well.

Do I see it: yep. The year’s gonna be rough to start regardless as they have the murder’s row schedule in the non conference slate to prep them. I think they do have a shot of winning 1 or 2 games in this stretch. Avery could be winnable and this game could show if the East Wilkes scrimmage is a fluke in terms of Avery’s talent. West Caldwell maybe as well? Heard they have depth issues. After that I see them coming out like a cannon vs. Alleghany and potentially taking off. The Starmount, Elkin, and West games should be very interesting. The Rams have always been a thorn to Hampton and West upset them last year according to Max Preps on JV’s. This might be a rivalry to watch this next few years along with Elkin vs. WC.

C. East Wilkes Cardinals

What an odd situation it is for the Ronda Cards. In the midst of a HC change they face their destiny on the horizon head on. Their first scrimmage wasn’t successful and it opened everyone’s eyes including my own. I was not expecting that but maybe it’s not the end of the world like we all think. Maybe they needed an eye opener and boy do they have it now at a time they very much needed it.

Still a lot of questions for this team and staff to answer. For one why did Wilmoth change their offense up? Nothing wrong with a change in systems but so late in the year is an odd move to say the least. These kids are used to that option system and to go to something more complicated is a bold step this late in the pre-season. Really the move shoulda happened last year if it was gonna happen because Adkins had the players to do it in those seniors particularly the QB and WR. They had such great chemistry together along with those other seniors they coulda put good #’s up. But as I called it after 7 on 7’ing them last year:

“I won’t be surprised if they go spread next year. I see Adkins leaving for something bigger and his successor is gonna try to air it out.”. Damn how profound.. I need to put some makeup on, call myself a psychic, and charge people money for various useless stuff.

Seems like the D is in change up mode as well as they were shallacked by Avery. Is it a one off deal with Avery on the way up or a harbinger to come? We will all see the next few weeks. From what I understand they have a lot of newcomers out so it’s gonna be a little while before they come around.

They have the perfect opener in a way to work on both sides of the spectrum. For one they could have quite the upset on their hands or one they can bomb and have to work their way back up. Even if they do lose to the Pilot Cards I still say their game with Walkertown will say it all. It will be their first game vs.faster kids in the skill spots; and if they cannot handle the Wolfpack then it will truly be a rough year as Central and Elkin looms. However Walkertown has a ton of ? marks to answer as well so it may be one the hardest to predict games all season.

I just sense the Cards of Ronda will improve thru the year; coaching transitions can be a pain but if it’s meant to be it’s meant to be. They are too talented to not compete.

D. Elkin Buckin’ Elks

Ah yes the team everyone talks about..

While East is hard to figure I say this squad is the biggest enigma in this conference. On one hand they lost a ton and I do mean a TON of seniors from last year including the 3 year starter at QB and the Mays kid; those two will be hard to replace no matter who they get. But on the other hand they have those JV kids and they will be a valuable help plus the West Wilkes kid at RB so they should be competitive.

However I’m just not sure about this year in terms of winning it all. Next year yes I can see perhaps and 2020 but there is a ton of youth on this squad and it’s hard for teams with lot of real young kids to win tons of games off the bat; I’ve rarely seen it happen. Their defense will be the biggest ? mark as it has bothered them the past few years. Granted 2017’s D was way better than '16's was but that was a given. Much like WC the defense has to consistently get better. Offensively that RB from West will be a help but their passing game will drop somewhat without the 3 year kid. That is the offense’s biggest ? mark as there isn’t a set starting QB. It looks like Wood is gonna have rotating QB’s so it could mark for an interesting set up.

Game 1 vs Surry Central will show their true firepower as Central just don’t have anything much to stop them this year. Games 2-3 will be what shows the Elks off as they go to the Northern end of the county back to back times to face county rivals North Surry and MA both off conference title seasons in their home openers. South Stokes game will show their talent to as I expected them to be good as well. They will be fine tested by the conference opener which is a great thing for the lads from Southern Surry.

How they will do I’m not sure. They have great potential to succeed but solid potential to bomb as well if the pieces don’t come to fruition. Truly a wait and see team.

Preview Part 2 (Darn Character Limit:)

E.North Wilkes Vikings

The 2nd team I seen us scrimmage; the Vikings are much different than what they have been the last few years. Gone are Grimes and several of those stud Lineman he had to depend on and in his place is a new emphasis on the pass game and true offensive balance. Gone is Brown at QB; rather he hasn’t graduated but he has been moved and now focuses on an Athlete role and plays WR: in his place is Monty Chipman’s son off the JV team. Son of Chipman has a better arm and is comfy in the pocket. The lineman going to Western is actually much improved this year. He lived up to the hype this time.

I was surprised by this squad. They are nowhere as good as that 2013 team was or even their 2014 JV team were but they weren’t as bad as I expected. They were more physical this year than last year I thought and played the pass on O real well. Heard thru the grapevine that Chipman thinks NW can beat East. We shall see.

However this team has some major problems they gotta fix to contend with East or anyone:

-Their defense is very lacking in the important spots. Defense has never been a focus in Hays since Chipman’s been in charge but this year’s D may be the worst one I’ve seen from there. I seen the ‘13 D allow us to have 500 yards of offense and get lucky to beat us but in a few ways this defense is worse. They are terrible against the pass especially if it’s long and they are easy to run against in the middle. They will not stop WC and Ashe playing like they did on Friday. Ashe will throw all over them and Morrison will run all over them.

-The numbers game is gonna be very tough for NW. JV especially they only had around 20 kids; very surprising considering they won the middle school league last year. Varsity they had close to 25 with several kids hurt.

-Taking Brown off the QB spot really hurts the offense in as many ways as it helps. They cannot run the options or bootlegs they used to and that means he will have to run as much if not a little more as he is in the slot on O and is a corner. It might make the Offense a little less dynamic in hindsight. However I do see Chipman’s son being potentially one of the best QB’s in the conference next year he is a solid pocket QB. However they need a runner to truly make the offense work and I’m not sure they will have that.

NW is lucky to have one of the easier non conference slates in the conference. They could easily be 4-0 by the start of conference play and that is a serious plus. However I see South Stokes giving the Vikings a really hard contest this year so we will see what both of these teams will have.

F. Starmount Rams

Things are in a turnaround in Boonville. Long-time coach Scott Johnson has finally retired after a ton of years in service and in steps new blood in Sandy Grinton's 1998 championship player and HC veteran who did a solid job at North Iredell considering their state the last decade +. Along with a veteran staff the Rams are in good hands.

However things will be a battle. The numbers aren’t what they used to be in GATA land. The program needs re-tooling and to be prepped for the future. Grinton will do that without a solid core of seniors who were good sized and turned things around last year. This alone will be one of Grinton’s toughest challenges of his whole career. He faces what he labeled the “Murder’s Row 3” in MA, ES, and West Stokes to open the season which are 3 very well tough matchups. However they face the 'Bush in game 4 which will show what the Rams will have as this game is always one of the more important ones.

A Unifi bowl win in his debut year will calm the critics down a ton; however a loss will show something strange is afoot in Boonville. A win will be the best possible way to springboard the Rams into conference play. I see NW, EW, Ashe, and Elkin being their season determining games. They have got to win at least half of those to make the postseason if not ¾ of them.

West Wilkes Blackhawks

Last but not least is the quietest team in this conference almost every year. The Blackhawks haven’t said a word all summer about theirselves nor have I seen them until I found video on them yesterday. To say I don’t know much about this team is an understatement but I’ll give it a try here.

West by all accounts should be in a transition year. Gone are Ortiz and the rest of the 2016 kids and in their place is new blood. West is lacking their main RB as he’s transferred out; so instead I see their Wing T offense being one by committee this year in the RB/WB spots. That can be very successful if done right but maybe not as powerful of a punch as it would have been otherwise. JV wise the Blackhawks have been middle of the road the past few seasons so not the worst talent in the world but very hard to rate these kids.

However on the plus side they will have very solid varsity numbers. 20 seniors and 19 juniors is very impressive numbers. That alone makes them the outside surprise team; I don’t know if they can do it but maybe they can be a spoiler. In order to do that they have got to get tougher on defense. West struggled badly vs athleticism last year as Central and EW both bombed it on the Blackhawks and much like Alleghany they had an awful conference slate.

West will face a test off the bat in Forbush who is much like West in terms of style. Two very hard edged run based squads who run very un pretty offenses. Forbush is expected to be very young so if West can’t capitalize here then something is very wrong for the Blackhawks.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Prediction:

1.Wilkes Central Eagles

2A.East Wilkes Cardinals
2B.Elkin Buckin' Elks
2C.Ashe County Huskies

5.North Wilkes Vikings
6. Starmount Rams
7. West Wilkes Blackhawks
8. Alleghany Trojans

Again this is a bit of an anti climax but I just can’t figure #2 out.

WC’s the favorite hands down barring an injury streak or freak luck. A-C for 2 has the best potential to get 2nd in my eyes but right now each have a major fault preventing them from getting there. Ashe needs to improve on D while staying healthy, East has got to come together and adjust to the regime change, and Elkin needs to overcome it’s youth in the important spots, find their QB and find consistency by conference time. Elkin can eaisly get 2nd if they gel but EW I can see surprising too. Ashe is a year too early but they will be better.

Teams 5-8 have a glaring fault that will keep them downwards. North Wilkes lacks a solid defense but has the Offense to compete with everyone. Starmount’s really young and with low numbers but have some of the best coaches in the conference which will help make them more prepped. West and Alleghany lack the playmakers but West has a more impressive looking defense and a conventional O which will be enough to stay out of the cellar.

WC lost some outstanding senior players and leaders. As well as some coaches. That’s hard to replace.

Ashe is going to be better and may give WC a game.

WC lost some outstanding senior players and leaders. As well as some coaches. That’s hard to replace.

Ashe is going to be better and may give WC a game.

True but when you got a lot coming back as a foundation it can't hurt. The one coach who left will be a loss but they seem to find a way to overcome it. Getting Pardue to help out on defense will make them much better he knows his stuff there.

I was much impressed with Ashe's morale when I seen them in June. D still isn't very good but they will be more competent. Their line looks to have hit the weight room; that's what they needed is some confidence.

Reactions: Illuminati704
True but when you got a lot coming back as a foundation it can't hurt. The one coach who left will be a loss but they seem to find a way to overcome it. Getting Pardue to help out on defense will make them much better he knows his stuff there.

I was much impressed with Ashe's morale when I seen them in June. D still isn't very good but they will be more competent. Their line looks to have hit the weight room; that's what they needed is some confidence.

This is true. I like the Eagles but I’d like to see another team win it this year haha. I like parity.

Still weird not seeing Starmount compete for the title. So tough to watch a dynasty such as Starmount's crumble before your very eyes. They did finish just behind EW last year, but everyone knows that the Starmount teams that take the field now don't strike the sheer fear into their opponents like they use to. It's just weird not seeing them ranked in any polls anymore or a threat to be the top dog in the conference race anymore.

Does anyone else think that when Yadkin County Schools opened their middle schools a few years back it helped lead to the downfall of Starmount and maybe even Forbush(they had some really good teams in the early and mid 2000s). For example with Starmount. At one time they were pulling kids from 3 schools in which those kids had to compete for positions at Starmount High. We all know when there is competition for positions it makes your team better. Now when they get to high school a lot of the position competition is probably eliminated because there aren't multiple kids coming in playing the same position. Alot of times its assumed for example that Joe was the QB at the middle school so he'll be the QB for jv next season instead of Joe, Steve, and Mike all played QB at their respective schools last year, they will compete for the starting jv job next year. I think this could be an argument for some other athletic programs across the state.

Now I know programs like Elkin have had success with 1 feeder, but their success wasn't long sustained and they have been on a downfall since 2006 but they are on the way back up.

Last edited:
Still weird not seeing Starmount compete for the title. So tough to watch a dynasty such as Starmount's crumble before your very eyes. They did finish just behind EW last year, but everyone knows that the Starmount teams that take the field now don't strike the sheer fear into their opponents like they use to. It's just weird not seeing them ranked in any polls anymore or a threat to be the top dog in the conference race anymore.

It really is; my varsity era was when they came back up in 09/10 and that '10 team was one of the toughest I've ever seen. I was sick and didn't play that game but they were legit. Shame they didn't make more noise that year. I got some of their 90's games vs. North Surry and their 1993/97 teams were legitly freaky. I can only imagine what it was like to play those fellas back then. Holt knew how to produce.

I like Grinton and I think he will keep it all afloat there. He did well at North Iredell considering they are a team who can't compete at 3A and he won 5/6 games several years. I think he will have a tough go this year but next year I see them maybe being an X factor. Starmount being competitive is great for the area as a whole.

Does anyone else think that when Yadkin County Schools opened their middle schools a few years back it helped lead to the downfall of Starmount and maybe even Forbush(they had some really good teams in the early and mid 2000s). For example with Starmount. At one time they were pulling kids from 3 schools in which those kids had to compete for positions at Starmount High. We all know when there is competition for positions it makes your team better. Now when they get to high school a lot of the position competition is probably eliminated because there aren't multiple kids coming in playing the same position. Alot of times its assumed for example that Joe was the QB at the middle school so he'll be the QB for jv next season instead of Joe, Steve, and Mike all played QB at their respective schools last year, they will compete for the starting jv job next year. I think this could be an argument for some other athletic programs across the state.

Now I know programs like Elkin have had success with 1 feeder, but their success wasn't long sustained and they have been on a downfall since 2006 but they are on the way back up.

Hmm possibly. You'd think it would help because it would give the kids a chance to play for the high schools early but something just hasn't worked right since. It seems some kids either don't play or get lost in limbo. Very odd.

Forbush has it much worse than Starmount. Without Johnson there they would be up the creek he gets more out of those kids than a ton of other guys would.

Not hating on Elkin but didn't they not field a middle school team last year? One year deal or a harbinger to come for them?

Not hating on Elkin but didn't they not field a middle school team last year? One year deal or a harbinger to come for them?[/QUOTE said:
Correct. So what success they are about to have will probably be short lived. Not sure what their lower classes in the elementary school are like. Schools are starting to struggle to field football teams. Chapel Hill just recently became the 2nd Orange County School to cancel their varsity season and that's a 3A team.

I’m just not seeing the athletes at Starmount that we’re there 5 years ago. Are they just not playing? Hopefully they can turn it around. This conference would be much more enjoyable with them and Elkin playing at the level most are accustomed to.

Thunder struck, you hit the nail on the head about Starmount.

Sports enthusiast from the area knew this would happen with the opening of the middle schools. I've been in a many of a conversation with people in the area from all the schools especially Starmount that said it would make the Rams ordinary, and it has.

In fact most thought it would have happened before it did.

They have enough athletes to stay competitive in the conference but the 9-2 or better days are behind them, with possible exceptions now and again.

There are so many fewer players to choose from as a result of the middle school.

I called it out yrs ago for EW when all 3 of the elementary schools played Sertoma ball as one big EW squad..by time they got to the highschool the reserves had been playin 3rd or 4th string so long..they would just lose interest and not even come out for the highschool team. Heck those EW Sertoma squads were 40 and 50 kids deep. Meanwhile Boonville, West Yadkin, and Jonesville were competing with their individual elementary school squads, which in turn made the competition to start at Starmount an epic battle at practice I'm sure. I told one of my friends when they decided to build the middle schools in Yadkin that their respective Highschool football teams would get worse before they get better. The desire to compete seems to fizzle out when the kids know they will be behind the starter from the 7th-12th grade. Then they stop coming out for football shortly thereafter.

I called it out yrs ago for EW when all 3 of the elementary schools played Sertoma ball as one big EW squad..by time they got to the highschool the reserves had been playin 3rd or 4th string so long..they would just lose interest and not even come out for the highschool team. Heck those EW Sertoma squads were 40 and 50 kids deep. Meanwhile Boonville, West Yadkin, and Jonesville were competing with their individual elementary school squads, which in turn made the competition to start at Starmount an epic battle at practice I'm sure. I told one of my friends when they decided to build the middle schools in Yadkin that their respective Highschool football teams would get worse before they get better. The desire to compete seems to fizzle out when the kids know they will be behind the starter from the 7th-12th grade. Then they stop coming out for football shortly thereafter.

That and playing behind other players for that long is a massive blow to player development. So in short, it hurts future numbers due to knowing they will not play much and player development.

EW seems to have gotten over the rut of the Middle School curse. They seem to have decent numbers on varsity these days. Like 40+ kids the last few yrs, but only decent numbers this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT