ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC 1A/2A Realignment 2021

radioguy16

Sep 7, 2018
I know this is a popular league that people have told me they wish would shuffle around in the new realignment coming up but will it truly happen? IDK. alot of questions to answer in my opinion.

What about the 4 Wilkes Schools?
Where does Ashe County fit based on location?
Could you keep the MVAC as just a 1A only or a 2A only?

I would like to hear what everyone's thoughts are?

If it goes 1A only id like to see the 4 1As that are in it now along with East Surry, Mount Airy and maybe a Stokes team or 2?

If it goes 2A only id like to see the 4 2As from current and add Surry Central, North Surry and Forbush also Maybe West Caldwell or Hibriten to make it 8 teams?

All just my thoughts open to all thoughts here.

Always like the original Northwest conference of Starmount, Elkin, East Wilkes, East Surry, Mount Airy, Alleghany, North Stokes, and South Stokes. That was a very good athletic conference for all sports and some great gates.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I really wish they'd do this:

NW 1A
East Wilkes
Elkin
Alleghany
Starmount
Mt Airy
East Surry

Piedmont 1A
North Stokes
South Stokes
Winston Salem Prep
Bishop
Cornerstone Charter
NC Leadership Academy

MVAC 2A
Ashe
North Wilkes
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central
North Surry
Surry Central

WP 2A
West Stokes
Forbush
Atkins
North Forsyth
Walkertown
Carver

Personally I think the MVAC stays in place because the Wilkes Schools like it from a financial standpoint from what I gather and Ashe likes it too.

Millenium Charter Academy will be joining a conference as well.

Mount Airy & East Surry desperately need a better conference. They both field every athletic team, something that Bishop, WSPA, and North Stokes don’t do. Those 2 schools also travel really well, always giving the other schools good gates, but never receive good gates. WSPA and Bishop might bring 20 people to a football or basketball game.

Mount Airy & East Surry desperately need a better conference. They both field every athletic team, something that Bishop, WSPA, and North Stokes don’t do. Those 2 schools also travel really well, always giving the other schools good gates, but never receive good gates. WSPA and Bishop might bring 20 people to a football or basketball game.

Joy that should weaken things.

Millennium can be grouped in the NW in my proposal.

I think it would make more sense to put South, North, Prep, Bishop together and throw in the other 2 I mentioned. Cornerstone has to travel alot in their current conference. The only issue is they don't field football I don't think and neither does NCLA. But the 4 teams that field footbal could always play each other twice.

All 1A have struggled in different sports. East Surry didn’t have jv girls basketball and MA has not had girls softball.

All 1A have struggled in different sports. East Surry didn’t have jv girls basketball and MA has not had girls softball.

East has fielded a varsity team in every sport. Mount Airy has fielded a varsity team In every sport except for a few years of softball. Those 2 schools, and probably South Stokes are on a different level than the others in that conference when it comes to fielding teams.

I think if a 1A or 2A school has JV girls basketball or softball then it’s more of a surprise than if they don’t have one.

Bishop basketball games are always packed. 2018 boys Basketball State Champs and the girls are 9x state champs. Yes, Football is a different story but decent crowds.

Bishop basketball games are always packed. 2018 boys Basketball State Champs and the girls are 9x state champs. Yes, Football is a different story but decent crowds.

I don’t know what world you are living in, but if their home games are packed it’s because they have a small gym and the visiting team brought a good crowd.

Bishop fans never travel more than maybe 30 people for an away game.

I'm sure those 3 do better than Carver does.. in us and Central's case Carver barely brings anyone. They brought a grand total of 5 people when we played them in 2018 at home. We had enough people on our side to have enough money to break even a little after paying the refs. I'm sure it will be that way again this year. They don't even halfway field teams in any of the side sports. Having them in the conference is a drain.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I'm sure those 3 do better than Carver does.. in us and Central's case Carver barely brings anyone. They brought a grand total of 5 people when we played them in 2018 at home. We had enough people on our side to have enough money to break even a little after paying the refs. I'm sure it will be that way again this year. They don't even halfway field teams in any of the side sports. Having them in the conference is a drain.

That is very unfortunate to hear. Carver at one point was an athletic powerhouse fielding state title contenders in football and track seemingly every year. And I’ve had the pleasure to see their band perform and it’ll put just about anyone’s to shame. Open enrollment has really helped some schools in Forsyth. Others, not to much.

There really shouldn’t be any 2A schools in a city the size of Winston.

That is very unfortunate to hear. Carver at one point was an athletic powerhouse fielding state title contenders in football and track seemingly every year. And I’ve had the pleasure to see their band perform and it’ll put just about anyone’s to shame. Open enrollment has really helped some schools in Forsyth. Others, not to much.

There really shouldn’t be any 2A schools in a city the size of Winston.

I was so amazed seeing the paper the day after the game and seeing all the silver from the stands; never been at a game where the away stands were that bright and THAT empty. They had more band members and more coaches than fans in the stands.. now that is bad. 75% of the coaches didn't even do anything they just yelled and acted up (2 got ejected.) We played them in women's tennis a year or two ago, and they didn't even call to let us know they had no girls to play they just never showed up and got DQ'ed. Never seen a school do that.

We played down there last year on their hall of fame night.. they might have had 35 fans there. That was being nice with the numbers. Band had about 20 people in it. A lot of the crowd left after halftime. It was just plain cold and empty.. one of the weirdest games I sat through.

Very much so.. with the county population as it is the smallest school should be a small 3A at least.

I keep hearing talk of a 2A MVAC and all I can say is yes please.. it would do us, Forbush, and SC some serious good. We could use some better gates. Only conference gate we will have this year that may bring us money is Forbush; the rest will be from the Elkin and MA games. Atkins and especially Carver won't bring anyone. The 2A MVAC could be really fun as a lot of those schools will have some good teams in 2021/2022.

Atkins is more than likely gonna be 3A unless they drop off quite a bit. North Forsyth I'm not sure but it would do a lot of good if they went back up as well. The Stokes/Forsyth schools could make a very workable split conference as it is now.

Northwest badly needs a steroid shot in the arm; as it is now it's a very toxic conference for the good schools to benefit from, and unless the state does something it's only gonna get worse with MC coming in. Putting the 1A's from the MVAC in there would seriously do the trick. Starmount vs. MA/East will make a lot of money and I'm sure even Alleghany will get money from having East/MA coming over. MC could still join for the sports they do or they could go with the Winston/Stokes league in an extreme case.

MCs athletic program will be pitiful and I doubt it gets any better. Good athletes aren't going to leave Mount Airy to go there.

Very much so.. they will get a lot of MA and North's smart kids but in terms of athletes from both no. Only way I see that happening is if they do shady stuff but they'd get caught so easy it's worthless. They won't ever do Football but I see them maybe being an okay lower level baseball and soccer school. I have 3 friends who teach there and one of my D line coach's works in the office so I support them, but I def don't want them to play Football we'd lose kids from it.

I'm actually more worried about the Surry Virtual Academy they are trying to start; that's gonna take quite a few kids from all of the schools. I don't ever wanna see North go 1A. Central very well could if they lose enough.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Very much so.. they will get a lot of MA and North's smart kids but in terms of athletes from both no. Only way I see that happening is if they do shady stuff but they'd get caught so easy it's worthless. They won't ever do Football but I see them maybe being an okay lower level baseball and soccer school. I have 3 friends who teach there and one of my D line coach's works in the office so I support them, but I def don't want them to play Football we'd lose kids from it.

I'm actually more worried about the Surry Virtual Academy they are trying to start; that's gonna take quite a few kids from all of the schools. I don't ever wanna see North go 1A. Central very well could if they lose enough.

They've had coed soccer the last few years. I doubt they'll ever be strong in soccer unless some of the kids at Mount Airy that ride the pine go there. They'll have some good cross country runners, maybe a tennis or golf kid, but they'll be a bottom feeder in all team sports. Like you I never see them starting football.

Is the virtual academy going to be ran by Surry County Schools?

Alot of counties are doing that to keep students from leaving the system.

Is the virtual academy going to be ran by Surry County Schools?

Alot of counties are doing that to keep students from leaving the system.

the students will be allowed to still compete for one of the 3 high schools if they choose to do the virtual academy, this is the way it was explained to me. It will be interesting to see how many kids go this route, to try & go to another high school for sports than where they are at now.

So I'd assume that means that SCS will run the virtual academy meaning the kids will have no choice but to play for their home school more than likely.

You bumped your head N.C.... the Bishop gym is the same as most in their conference and its obvious you have no clue.... football wise less but still decent crowds so get a clue. Smh

true and no ball is just ignant or has never set foot in the gym of a state b-ball champion. Where was he in 2018 at the playoff game? Maybe he can’t add but definitely wayyyy more than what he is talking about.

Allowing them to play for whoever will open a can of worms.

It will.. that's what worries me. I don't trust the school board as much as I can throw them. If they allow that it's gonna get ugly. They are a little better than the NCHSAA is but that's by default. It'll be best if they just let the kids play for their natural school baring people packing up and moving.

From what I read in the paper at work when I heard about it it's the official county doing it. They have a principal and everything. Never thought I'd see it honestly; it had some convenient timing.

If they do take kids away then it will help East.. they don't want to become 2A.. Central would become a 1A or be one of the last 2A's. We would be in the 700's.. just don't like it a bit. Gotta deal with it.

But if they allow kids to play sports, they will have to count them all in their ADMs. Also what is the current transfer policy in Surry for athletes?

It will.. that's what worries me. I don't trust the school board as much as I can throw them. If they allow that it's gonna get ugly. They are a little better than the NCHSAA is but that's by default. It'll be best if they just let the kids play for their natural school baring people packing up and moving.

From what I read in the paper at work when I heard about it it's the official county doing it. They have a principal and everything. Never thought I'd see it honestly; it had some convenient timing.

If they do take kids away then it will help East.. they don't want to become 2A.. Central would become a 1A or be one of the last 2A's. We would be in the 700's.. just don't like it a bit. Gotta deal with it.

I think East is a long ways from being 2A. Their numbers continue to drop and their rising classes aren’t as big as the ones in front of them. For gate purposes, East Surry & Mount Airy would probably rather be 2A than stuck where they are. Both of those schools could compete with anyone in just about every sport at the 2A level with no issues.

But if they allow kids to play sports, they will have to count them all in their ADMs. Also what is the current transfer policy in Surry for athletes?

I have heard that you can probably transfer to any of the schools now without having to sit out. I think you just have to say you’re transferring to school XYZ because they have the better PLTW program, or Digital Media program, etc. I don’t think the school board wants to police it anymore.

I think East is a long ways from being 2A. Their numbers continue to drop and their rising classes aren’t as big as the ones in front of them. For gate purposes, East Surry & Mount Airy would probably rather be 2A than stuck where they are. Both of those schools could compete with anyone in just about every sport at the 2A level with no issues.

That’s a no. 2a is an entirely different level. East Surry last year could have likely competed for the small 2a championship in football, and won. Those teams don’t come around often at all.

Football is really the only argument, because it is split during the playoffs between big and small 2a and 2aa respectively. And even then, maybe once every decade, would MA or ES have a team capable of “competing” for a title.

That’s a no. 2a is an entirely different level. East Surry last year could have likely competed for the small 2a championship in football, and won. Those teams don’t come around often at all.

Football is really the only argument, because it is split during the playoffs between big and small 2a and 2aa respectively. And even then, maybe once every decade, would MA or ES have a team capable of “competing” for a title.

So you’re saying that East Surry & Mount Airy’s golf teams couldn’t compete for a state championship each year? Mount Airy soccer & tennis? East Surry baseball & softball? East Surry Volleyball? East Surry swimming? Who already competes and finishes in the top 5 each year of a 1A/2A classification. Mount Airy wrestling? Mount Airy & East Surry’s women’s basketball teams couldn’t be near the top each year?

Those sports would be at the top 8 almost each year even if they were 2A.

Women’s basketball certainly not every year.

I’ll have to defer to someone regarding the other sports. I think MA and ES have gotten comfortable beating up on the North Stokes and South Stokes of the world. There is a lotttt more quality and quantity teams in 2a for each of those sports. Competitive? Sure, maybe? Dominate? That’s a hard no. Everyone is in agreement that MA and ES are solid 1a programs in most sports. Let’s not get carried away now.

Competing with some of those 2A schools would be a lot easier than having to face charters and privates in the country club sports. Even soccer. I can also assure you 2A softball isn't any better than 1A and baseball probably isn't much different.

baseball probably isn't much different.
I agree in regards to softball but 2A baseball is pretty stout at the top, there's not been many 1A title winning teams that would've won a 2A baseball title, though there are some exceptions.

Considering Mount Airy draws from a population pool on par with a 2AA school they should compete well at the 2A level.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT