ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy vs Swain Co

From everything I've heard Sain is a good kid that is hard working and respectful. Is he over hyped? I think so but I also think everyone seems to forget he's just a tenth grader and I believe a legit one at that. The next two years will be sains time to peak. I would be interested to hear who maroon machine thinks should be the two backs this year for swain? I honestly don't know swains roster well enough to say. Imo Swains line isn't very good. They're slow, no push at all.

I agree. He was a great youth player but I believe kids from other teams caught up with him. It happens all the time. I’m sure he works his tail off and maybe if that huge line gets more aggressive and faster off the ball he will get his yardage. Just kids playing a game but I don’t have a kid playing so I try to give a honest opinion

Playing devils advocate here but when I look at Maxpreps and I see a 15 year old sophomore running back that has 1330 yards rushing with 22TD’s. I also see 2252 all purpose yards. I see results and loads of potential. No doubt varsity is another level but I say show me another running back with similar numbers at this age against defenses that call out his number every play. Not to mention being 160lbs and having 90 percent of runs between the tackles. (And yes his offensive line has played a huge role in that.) Robbinsville’s Anderson is probably the only other back that has had the same level of success at this age. Some old timers on here probably can name a few before my time.

Playing devils advocate here but when I look at Maxpreps and I see a 15 year old sophomore running back that has 1330 yards rushing with 22TD’s. I also see 2252 all purpose yards. I see results and loads of potential. No doubt varsity is another level but I say show me another running back with similar numbers at this age against defenses that call out his number every play. Not to mention being 160lbs and having 90 percent of runs between the tackles. (And yes his offensive line has played a huge role in that.) Robbinsville’s Anderson is probably the only other back that has had the same level of success at this age. Some old timers on here probably can name a few before my time.
McRae had 1,522 yards rushing his sophomore year with limited help until the JV's were moved up. Gaige Cox had over 1,300 yards his sophomore year on 12 yards a carry (best back in the SMC in a while, shame he missed almost all of his senior year with ACL tear) sharing a backfield with Braswell, Posey, Johnson and Wiley. That's just two recent examples, would happen often at Murphy but too many good backs to share the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swaindad40
A lot of success early on is just having the opportunity. I was shocked that they played Sain on varsity as a freshman. Hard to believe there aren't older kids at Swain that should have played his minutes his freshman year.

I know a lot about our defense because I actually played defensive back in this system. Free safety has responsibilities reading pass first. Depending on coverage and strong vs week side. He may have deep left or right or middle. If he is in another coverage he may have pitch responsibly. That is rare. When he has pitch responsibilities he is there and makes the plays. Sometimes even when he does not have pitch he still gets there. Tell me another defensive back that covers the entire field and has 27 solo tackles? Against Murphy we ran mostly cover two or three. So depending on the play he may or may not be in front of the ball carrier. He may have to chase them down. I personally witnessed him tackling Murphy backs from the side in the open field one on one seven times. Be glad he can chase them down if need be. Seven out of eight tackles is very good in the open field against Murphy backs. Talking about Murray, McTaggart and Allen. These boys are a load!!! Not to mention he is calling coverages and coordinating other defensive backs. Basically the captain of the secondary.

Who’s talking about he line not blocking? I am not on here blasting the line. I really like our line. If anything I have bragged on them all preseason and defended them on here all f”in season. Even to other teams on here that blasted our line after we played. Despite others on here saying they are slow etc.... I said it’s hard to block 8 or 9 in the box with six players. We need to have a passing game that will open up our offense. Maybe we should try to throw more? That would resolve almost everything except parents that want to cause and stir up drama! Which by the way is not good for any team or community. It’s stupid. So grow up and quit talking about our players. They just want to play football and win as a team.

It not the players fault they get put in a unsuccessful situation...there’s no drama here only call it as I see it...if your a defensive secondary genius then you should know to put the extra DB in the game to play cover two or cover three you have to take out a lineman up front leaving you with only three lineman to stop the run....but FS shouldn’t be making tackles that’s crazy...Captain, well leadership, starts with coaches...Does FS call defensive set every down? Or does coaching staff?

So how are we suppose to defend against 8 offensive folks with only five folks in the tackle box?

Come on, old school...

A lot of success early on is just having the opportunity. I was shocked that they played Sain on varsity as a freshman. Hard to believe there aren't older kids at Swain that should have played his minutes his freshman year.

Well, it’s a shame coaching is blind to the fact our participation is way down because of current plan...the band has more participants then football team. Sad that current kids and parents are talking about leave to other schools...

Originally it was because they were not sure if a senior would be eligible to play. So they played him on special teams and he impressed there. Then in practice he earned the spot by running tailback on scrub offense against our starting defense. Once they started him then he ran for almost 400 yards and 8tds and unfortunately tore a groin in practice on the Monday after rushing for 87 yards and a td vs Murphy.

It not the players fault they get put in a unsuccessful situation...there’s no drama here only call it as I see it...if your a defensive secondary genius then you should know to put the extra DB in the game to play cover two or cover three you have to take out a lineman up front leaving you with only three lineman to stop the run....but FS shouldn’t be making tackles that’s crazy...Captain, well leadership, starts with coaches...Does FS call defensive set every down? Or does coaching staff?

So how are we suppose to defend against 8 offensive folks with only five folks in the tackle box?

Come on, old school...

Im all for old school. I don’t like our defense with three down linemen. Makes no sense to me either. But I’m not a varsity coach. I say put more defensive linemen in the game and create a pass rush so the qb does not have time to throw the ball. A free safety should have zero tackles!!! It’s a bad sign if your free safety has 27 solo tackles. Speaking 100% truth he has missed two all season. One vs Murphy and one vs smoky mountain. I would say 27 out of 29 is pretty dang good for a free safety. Maybe some Murphy posters on here can tell you how hard it is to tackle those Murphy backs one on one in the open field. So maybe perhaps you are barking up the wrong tree. Maybe your disappointment is with the coaches and that between you and them. In fact I would encourage you to let them know. Tell them you think our free safety is not doing his job and making bad plays. See how far that gets you. They will look at you like a freekin idiot. Keep it real and just tell them that we should not have less than four defensive linemen. That sounds more like what your problem is with.

What about the other QB.
His mom is from Robbinsville.
From what I here, They won’t let the other QB have a chance. The kid is smart, knows the offense, and has a great arm. Kids are out of position on both sides of the ball. Still probably wouldn’t have won but let’s be real. If they stop the run, you need to try something else. Swain coaches haven’t thought about that. Hard to win a game against great teams being a one dimensional team.

Reactions: Swo_05
Well, it’s a shame coaching is blind to the fact our participation is way down because of current plan...the band has more participants then football team. Sad that current kids and parents are talking about leave to other schools...

It’s not because of one or two players. Maybe that’s where you are confused. It’s not the players fault. Players just do what they are coached to do. If there are jealousy issues well that’s on them and the parents. Everybody wants to be the man but they don’t want to do what the man has to do. If they want more carries then work your tail off and outwork the person in front of you. Come to all off season workouts. It starts there. If you feel a kid is not getting a fair shot then let the coaches know. Just a suggestion you may want to have some backup and know what your talking about.

It’s not because of one or two players. Maybe that’s where you are confused. It’s not the players fault. Players just do what they are coached to do. If there are jealousy issues well that’s on them and the parents. Everybody wants to be the man but they don’t want to do what the man has to do. If they want more carries then work your tail off and outwork the person in front of you. Come to all off season workouts. It starts there. If you feel a kid is not getting a fair shot then let the coaches know. Just a suggestion you may want to have some backup and know what your talking about.
Let's face it, I'm an outsider to Swain football, but from my point of view a lot of the problems at Swain revolve around parents' expectations after this group of Swain kids dominated in youth ball. There were some outstanding "kid" football players at Swain in this 9th/10th/11th grade classes. Many of them matured faster than the other kids they played against. The field has caught up to them. Still talented, but not the gap that there used to be.

Second, SwainDad, you are passionate that's for sure ... but I believe you are too close to the situation to see what is in front of you. You are obviously knowledgeable, but you also come across as extremely biased and defensive about Sain. No one can dispute that he is a talented 15 year old. He is not a world beater by himself or in my opinion, the manner in which this coaching staff uses him. He needs to be outside the tackles, in open field. He's just not big enough to impose his will up the middle. No discredit to him, he just needs to be used in a different way. So in other words, bring him to Graham County.

From what I here, They won’t let the other QB have a chance. The kid is smart, knows the offense, and has a great arm. Kids are out of position on both sides of the ball. Still probably wouldn’t have won but let’s be real. If they stop the run, you need to try something else. Swain coaches haven’t thought about that. Hard to win a game against great teams being a one dimensional team.

In my opinion our best option at quarterback is #5 and he has not played almost all season. He is the better “quarterback”. 25 is a better running quarterback and is a very good athlete and has shown that he can run. #5 in my opinion would be the best option to open up this offense. He is smart with a lot of knowledge of this offense. He started in youth league and JV. Best option for the team would be to start 5 at QB keep 33 at fullback because he blocks his tail off and runs hard at fullback and 22 at tailback. Move 22 to slot and spread out the defense from time to time. 22 should be on all sweeps and pitch option plays. He is actually a very good receiver as well. His skill set is built for I formation and spread formations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It’s not because of one or two players. Maybe that’s where you are confused. It’s not the players fault. Players just do what they are coached to do. If there are jealousy issues well that’s on them and the parents. Everybody wants to be the man but they don’t want to do what the man has to do. If they want more carries then work your tail off and outwork the person in front of you. Come to all off season workouts. It starts there. If you feel a kid is not getting a fair shot then let the coaches know. Just a suggestion you may want to have some backup and know what your talking about.[/
Straight up the gut is how Robbinsville finally got it's yards against Murphy..but it was a little too late

I agree there’s only one LB and FS 10 yards down field..at least they figured it out...

Second, SwainDad, you are passionate that's for sure ... but I believe you are too close to the situation to see what is in front of you. You are obviously knowledgeable, but you also come across as extremely biased and defensive about Sain. No one can dispute that he is a talented 15 year old. He is not a world beater by himself or in my opinion, the manner in which this coaching staff uses him. He needs to be outside the tackles, in open field. He's just not big enough to impose his will up the middle. No discredit to him, he just needs to be used in a different way. So in other words, bring him to Graham County.

Lol - I am biased of any of our boys and if anyone (not you) wants to take cheap shots with no facts then I will defend them all day. I helped with youth league and I know the majority of these boys as well as the ninth graders and even eighth graders. Football is a team sport and it takes at least 11 to move the ball. I know that more than most. These boys just want to win and we want winners. I think you are right in many ways.

Been waiting on changes all year. Coaches are way to prideful to do that. Let me guess, we will go from the the inside veer to the outside veer this week. I’m sure that will work. Sick of hearing, wait till next year! Look at the past seasons. Yes we did run the veer but we also threw the ball over 1700 yards each year. I bet we don’t have 200 yards this year. Change is coming. Lol

Let's face it, I'm an outsider to Swain football, but from my point of view a lot of the problems at Swain revolve around parents' expectations after this group of Swain kids dominated in youth ball. There were some outstanding "kid" football players at Swain in this 9th/10th/11th grade classes. Many of them matured faster than the other kids they played against. The field has caught up to them. Still talented, but not the gap that there used to be.

It feels like this could be the problem. I have seen it happen in other places that I have been. A lot of times it’s better to have a youth team get better each year all the way up to jv.
Keeps the players hungry and working and the parents egos in check.

Everyone keeps knocking our line and I will defend them as well. Until I am blue in the face. These are kids and one team! Like I said before 5-6 linemen can’t block 8! I don’t care what linemen you have. We have to throw the ball to be successful. We can beat average or below average teams throwing the ball 2-3 times per game. But not elite teams.

Last edited:
Yeah I
the linemen you have now are better
Yeah I know mdfan..even more eye opening is the fact that if #22 or #5 or any of the lineman came to Robbinsville ,none of them would be a starter this year..That says alot about our team. I'm sure the same applies to Murphy also.

Reactions: mbdfan and Swo_05

Wow, well said...

Yeah I

Yeah I know mdfan..even more eye opening is the fact that if #22 or #5 or any of the lineman came to Robbinsville ,none of them would be a starter this year..That says alot about our team. I'm sure the same applies to Murphy also.

Really! So, Sain wouldn’t start over Anderson or Hooper?

Lol - I am biased of any of our boys and if anyone (not you) wants to take cheap shots with no facts then I will defend them all day. I helped with youth league and I know the majority of these boys as well as the ninth graders and even eighth graders. Football is a team sport and it takes at least 11 to move the ball. I know that more than most. These boys just want to win and we want winners. I think you are right in many ways.

Sure, in all previous posts swain can’t win or move the ball without Sain...come on, this is an open forum...There are other RBs in Swain’s stable. You keep posting stats of only one RB so you must be to close to see the issue with this team, team player! Then how did you get HUDL video of only one player. I don’t see any video showing lineman blocking for the play called and leaving two or three folks unblocked...great highlight video, why is there no video of FS getting out ran by Nelson...or FS getting shook out of his cleats...come on, I was at game too...

Last edited:
Swain will always and should be in the top 3 in the SMC because of sheer numbers. But even those are going down. Maxpreps had Swain roster at 70 players in 2015,
2017 43 players and this year only 33 players. Something is wrong ! In years past Swain always looked like a college team coming onto the field with their huge numbers.

Reactions: mbdfan
I have a lot of close friends in swain and I know it's a mess over there. Parents and fans imo built this group up to be world beaters because of youth league success and now that reality has hit that they're no where close, folks are in meltdown. I think coach Blankenship is a good guy that cares about those kids and the school. He guided Swain to a state title and one other title appearance if I'm not mistaken. Now folks call him names and are disrespectful. He doesn't deserve that. You folks can spin it anyway you want. Swains line is bad, everyone sees it but Swain fans who are still drinking that maroon koolaid. Would Sain contribute at Murphy or robbinsville this year? Absolutely he would but he wouldn't come in and start over Murphys backfield or Anderson at Robbinsville imo. Step away from the maroon koolaid.

Reactions: mbdfan
Yeah I

Really! Either school
In my opinion our best option at quarterback is #5 and he has not played almost all season. He is the better “quarterback”. 25 is a better running quarterback and is a very good athlete and has shown that he can run. #5 in my opinion would be the best option to open up this offense. He is smart with a lot of knowledge of this offense. He started in youth league and JV. Best option for the team would be to start 5 at QB keep 33 at fullback because he blocks his tail off and runs hard at fullback and 22 at tailback. Move 22 to slot and spread out the defense from time to time. 22 should be on all sweeps and pitch option plays. He is actually a very good receiver as well. His skill set is built for I formation and spread formations.

So, keep #33 at fullback because he blocks his tail off. Can he not run the football too? Why don’t coaching staff give him 150 attempts he’ll have the same numbers as Sain...Put Sain at fullback and let him block...it seems like swaindad40 and coaching staff only wants Sain in a position to get ball and no position to play as team player...

I have a lot of close friends in swain and I know it's a mess over there. Parents and fans imo built this group up to be world beaters because of youth league success and now that reality has hit that they're no where close, folks are in meltdown. I think coach Blankenship is a good guy that cares about those kids and the school. He guided Swain to a state title and one other title appearance if I'm not mistaken. Now folks call him names and are disrespectful. He doesn't deserve that. You folks can spin it anyway you want. Swains line is bad, everyone sees it but Swain fans who are still drinking that maroon koolaid. Would Sain contribute at Murphy or robbinsville this year? Absolutely he would but he wouldn't come in and start over Murphys backfield or Anderson at Robbinsville imo. Step away from the maroon koolaid.

I agree Blankenship is a great guy...He needs to have a better game plan and a hand hold on OC...Blankenship has inherited a lot of talent over the years and it’s no different now. If line is so bad and Sain so great then it a wash..if line is so bad then change it up...Put Sain and Lossiah on the line, if our line is so bad...try something different, if what you are doing isn’t working...you’re right expectations are always high to win or “to be the man” as swaindad40 put it...if line is so bad why has Blankenship not dug in and changed things so improvement is noticed...he has a dozen coaches....that’s two kids per coach...

Swain will always and should be in the top 3 in the SMC because of sheer numbers. But even those are going down. Maxpreps had Swain roster at 70 players in 2015,
2017 43 players and this year only 33 players. Something is wrong ! In years past Swain always looked like a college team coming onto the field with their huge numbers.

Well demonstrated, that’s 33 with JVs moved up...and it doesn’t look any stronger next year...kids see what going on and a few kids want play next year based on coaching decisions made this year....not sure what parents have to do with coaching decisions...

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Well demonstrated, that’s 33 with JVs moved up...and it doesn’t look any stronger next year...kids see what going on and a few kids want play next year based on coaching decisions made this year....not sure what parents have to do with coaching decisions...
I believe your right. Swain High has the enrollment to have large numbers in all their sports. Heck, correct me if I’m wrong Swain has 2 track teams. While team A is at one meet team B is at another. I’m afraid if this trend continues it’s only going to get worse for Swain football. I’m sure it’s hard to watch for all the Swain faithful but it will pass

[QUOTE="Maroon_Machine, post: 516083, If line is so bad and Sain so great then it a wash..if line is so bad then change it up...Put Sain and Lossiah on the line, if our line is so bad...try something.[/QUOTE]
Your line is bad. It wasn't all about stacking the box, sure Murphy did that but countless times Murphy's d-line won their one on one match-up with the result being a tackle for a loss. Also on the other side they ran it down your throats by controling the line of scrimmage it's no new coaching scheme Murphy tried the same last year and Swain''s line was the better and it was a different ballgame.

DEFENSE i still say.....last 3 times Devils have come to The Hill Murphy has scored 38,35, and 49 points....122 points allowed =over 40 points per game allowed last 3 trips here....Ill go ahead and predict if Swain allows 122 points in thier next 3 trips to Murphy they will also lose the next 3 times at The Hill....carry on guys

Reactions: smcdogfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT