ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy vs Swain Co

That 74 team didn’t do a thing fancy. Lined up and ran over you. You knew what was coming but couldn’t do a thing about it. If willie got a step it was all over but the crying. JQ could run around you or over you and you hoped he ran around you. Line on that team was a nasty bunch. If you were ever in a bar room brawl you would want them with you

before my time but have heard the stories from the old timers
5 or 6 years before me but my oldest brother played against that team so I watched them. Andrews got a new coach in 74. He was a previous college coach and was a hard nosed old school coach. He came in and revamped the program with a new weight machine and nice uniforms and white cleats for the whole team. Expectations were high and we thought we were going to have a great team. If memory serves me right it was Murphy 42 Andrews 0. We did have a decent season but Murphy was tough. That was probably the same year Dee Walsh played at Robbinsville. A long time ago. Lol

Reactions: mbdfan
Impressive

Real impressive when they are hit in the backfield before they even get to the line of scrimmage. Or get hit as soon as they get the handoff. Or get tackled even when they don’t have the ball.

If Murphy plays defense like this and plays 1a in the state playoffs then they will win the state championship. If they go 1AA then Tarboro will play them at the state championship.

Real impressive when they are hit in the backfield before they even get to the line of scrimmage. Or get hit as soon as they get the handoff. Or get tackled even when they don’t have the ball.

If Murphy plays defense like this and plays 1a in the state playoffs then they will win the state championship. If they go 1AA then Tarboro will play them at the state championship.

Yes swain dad the defense is playing lights out. Held your devils to only 140 yards the entire game. I think sain had around 25 or so yards rushing the ball. They are playing championship quality ball right now.

Do not be too down your devils will be back before long.

After reading previous posts I have one question: who was hitting the backs, Murphy's defenders or one of the officials? Seems like they are the ones that beat Swain.

Reactions: GreyGod623
After reading previous posts I have one question: who was hitting the backs, Murphy's defenders or one of the officials? Seems like they are the ones that beat Swain.

Don’t be a smart %~$$
I said “no calls” by refs and “poor ball spotting”.

Come on, the offensive line did a great job blocking for the plays called...Murphy had eight players in the box and we still tried to run the fastest running back in SMC into the teeth of Murphy’s defense. Who are you kidding...Murphy just out coached our offensive coordinator and he thought Murphy would lay down because Swain has the fastest running back in the conference. If we had a passing game or a QB that could throw the ball we might have stood a chance...I blame the offensive coordinator, RB and coaching staff for not realizing the same three plays don’t work everytime. Especially, when the defense is setup to stop the off tackle plays...Can coaching staff in booth, communicate to offensive coordinator and head coach, that there are eight or nine folks in the box? Can we not throw a five yard out, a slant or curve? As far as the no calls, it’s football you win some you lose some. If you can’t over come obstacles then you will not win to many games...Swain can’t at the moment because our coaching staff believes two young players will carry the team and that’s not true...We have another QB and other RBs let’s give them a try, what can it hurt, I’m sure they are good for 60 yards on 34 attempts too... ridiculous, if this is the plan for next year then we’ll have the same success...

On another note, we need a FS...someone to play the position as it should be played...not stepping out of the way and trying chase the play down...

Bottom line Murphy should thank us for make them look like a championship team...if our fastest running back was as dominanting as Swaindad40 suggests then he would have still made a difference even without blocking...come on, great backs can do that...

Hats off to Murphy, but I believe if we had the right kids in the right positions and better play calling then we could have made it a game, but we didn’t so I can only hope we see Murphy in the playoffs for round two...Not to excited about it because if we plan to run the fastest running back into the teeth of a defense that is setup to stop it then we need some coaching staff changes. Ridiculous!

Dogs just better talent this year than the Devils. By a wide margin....just my opinion.....Maybe not 42 points better in talent , but if they lined em up again tonight Id pick the Dogs by 3-4 scores....

Come on, the offensive line did a great job blocking for the plays called...Murphy had eight players in the box and we still tried to run the fastest running back in SMC into the teeth of Murphy’s defense. Who are you kidding...Murphy just out coached our offensive coordinator and he thought Murphy would lay down because Swain has the fastest running back in the conference. If we had a passing game or a QB that could throw the ball we might have stood a chance...I blame the offensive coordinator, RB and coaching staff for not realizing the same three plays don’t work everytime. Especially, when the defense is setup to stop the off tackle plays...Can coaching staff in booth, communicate to offensive coordinator and head coach, that there are eight or nine folks in the box? Can we not throw a five yard out, a slant or curve? As far as the no calls, it’s football you win some you lose some. If you can’t over come obstacles then you will not win to many games...Swain can’t at the moment because our coaching staff believes two young players will carry the team and that’s not true...We have another QB and other RBs let’s give them a try, what can it hurt, I’m sure they are good for 60 yards on 34 attempts too... ridiculous, if this is the plan for next year then we’ll have the same success...

On another note, we need a FS...someone to play the position as it should be played...not stepping out of the way and trying chase the play down...

Bottom line Murphy should thank us for make them look like a championship team...if our fastest running back was as dominanting as Swaindad40 suggests then he would have still made a difference even without blocking...come on, great backs can do that...

Hats off to Murphy, but I believe if we had the right kids in the right positions and better play calling then we could have made it a game, but we didn’t so I can only hope we see Murphy in the playoffs for round two...Not to excited about it because if we plan to run the fastest running back into the teeth of a defense that is setup to stop it then we need some coaching staff changes. Ridiculous!
Ridiculous post, Swain and Murphy could play again tomorrow and Swain could have whoever you want coaching the offense on the sideline and you would still lose big. X's and O's are important but so are the Jimmy's and Joe's and Murphy was a lot better in that area.

Dogs just better talent this year than the Devils. By a wide margin....just my opinion.....Maybe not 42 points better in talent , but if they lined em up again tonight Id pick the Dogs by 3-4 scores....

Murphy out coached Swain even though each team knows what the other is doing...we do have some experienced (over 300 plays experienced) sophomores that seem to be favored by coaching staff but not a factor. So it doesn’t seem the coaching staff will not change any of these factors so I would have to agree with your assumptions...

Ridiculous post, Swain and Murphy could play again tomorrow and Swain could have whoever you want coaching the offense on the sideline and you would still lose big. X's and O's are important but so are the Jimmy's and Joe's and Murphy was a lot better in that area.

Well, we may get to play again in a few weeks...if you get the SMC 1 seed and we luck up and get into playoffs. So lower seeds always play higher seeds. So there is a chance for a rematch. I can’t agree with the jimmy and joe thing. Our line played well for the played called. We should have never run into the teeth of a defense that’s setup to stop off tackle plays...we should have throwed the five yard out, Murphy’s secondary gave us 10 yards off the ball all night, for sure we could have completed a few of these...but, no we run three times into a defense where there are three unblocked players every time...yep, that’s a jimmy and joe thing...

Last edited:
Guys bill cowher could coach Swain this season. They would still be bad. Problem Swain has no team speed , even their line is slow. They need to get a speed coach.

defense and oline is where I would look first Maroon machine fan. Thats 49 and 50 pts scored by murphy and smoky this year... Devils have enough in the stable to put a better defense on the field...again just my little ol opinion. Everybody has one..

Reactions: Gentle Knight
I have to disagree with the speed of Sain. He had a huge jump around the end in wide opened field and was run down twice from behind by Andrews. He only had 23 yards against Murphy. Good player yes but he is not a speedster. I guess we will see how he performs against Robbinsville’s speed Friday night. I might have to make the trip to Swain to see this one

defense and oline is where I would look first Maroon machine fan. Thats 49 and 50 pts scored by murphy and smoky this year... Devils have enough in the stable to put a better defense on the field...again just my little ol opinion. Everybody has one..

Every one has a role to play on both offense and defense...our line can only do so much if run support is lacking. When you have three down linemen in a run situation it’s not a players call...our line and ends have been playing well...do the math, 3 can’t stop 5. Now, for second level support we have not done so well...when your DE are making more tackles then LBs then there’s a problem...FS should be the third level so as you can see our line isn’t the only issue...it wouldn’t make any sense to shuffle these positions and find a FS...

I have to disagree with the speed of Sain. He had a huge jump around the end in wide opened field and was run down twice from behind by Andrews. He only had 23 yards against Murphy. Good player yes but he is not a speedster. I guess we will see how he performs against Robbinsville’s speed Friday night. I might have to make the trip to Swain to see this one

I agree a good feller, not a dominant back as swaindad40 suggests...coaching staff pipe dream, at some point they need to make a change or stick with current personal and get the same results...There’s not a back in SMC that can just take over a game.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
What about the other QB.
His mom is from Robbinsville.

Great kid, I’m sure he could have generated 37 yards on 16 attempts..he could have thrown the ball down field too...I’m sure he could have thrown a five yard out or a slant...something...Ridiculous, Offensive coordinator...

From everything I've heard Sain is a good kid that is hard working and respectful. Is he over hyped? I think so but I also think everyone seems to forget he's just a tenth grader and I believe a legit one at that. The next two years will be sains time to peak. I would be interested to hear who maroon machine thinks should be the two backs this year for swain? I honestly don't know swains roster well enough to say. Imo Swains line isn't very good. They're slow, no push at all.

Last edited:
From everything I've heard Sain is a good kid that is hard working and respectful. Is he over hyped? I think so but I also think everyone seems to forget he's just a tenth grader and I believe a legit one at that, not a hold back. The next two years will be sains time to peak. I would be interested to hear who maroon machine thinks should be the two backs this year for swain? I honestly don't know swains roster well enough to say. Imo Swains line isn't very good. They're slow, no push at all.

Well, we have juniors and seniors RBs that can run the ball and they are just as fast...believe me, he is not the only horse in stable...what I’m saying is the pairing in play now isn’t working. As stated earlier, we could have had at least the same if not better success with different players...What would it have hurt to try it?

From what I seen, our lineman did their job base on play called...if the play called is to leave two folks unblocked and then you run right at these two unblocked players then you get what you get. Not players fault, coach! Can the QB not see that the play called won’t work and audible out to a pass, five yard hitch or slant, it’s zone cover in secondary?

Any average QB after 300 plays should be able to recognize and audible into a better play...OC should have been coaching this from the get go so we are not playing in November and running into teeth of defense...makes no sense.

Last edited:
I agree a good feller, not a dominant back as swaindad40 suggests...coaching staff pipe dream, at some point they need to make a change or stick with current personal and get the same results...There’s not a back in SMC that can just take over a game.
I agree. He was a great youth player but I believe kids from other teams caught up with him. It happens all the time. I’m sure he works his tail off and maybe if that huge line gets more aggressive and faster off the ball he will get his yardage. Just kids playing a game but I don’t have a kid playing so I try to give a honest opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: CatDad312

I hope you know your posts sound like your biased of an individual player and you need to watch what you say because I don’t condone talking about a kid who has played his heart out for this team. If you have a problem with him go straight to the boys father and say something to him. Not only that but he has got us results with almost 950 yards rushing /over 1300 total yards and 15TD’s. All second highest in conference. You also talk about us needing a new free safety?? Maybe you have not realized this or know anything about being in the secondary. But he has 27 solo tackles on this team and chases everyone down from across the field. He had 7 solo td saving tackles in the Murphy game and all were from the side and most were untouched until he tackled them one on one in the open field. Our free safety should not make a tackle. He missed one tackle in the game and has shown all season that he is not afraid to tackle a 200lb back. But you talk as if he has not done anything for this team. How about some respect for our players??

As for the coaching that’s your opinion and feel free to talk about that as much as you want. This is a public forum but like I said I don’t condone talking bad about a player.

A lot of credit has to be given to Murphy ‘s defense and coaches. They knew what plays we run and who to key on. Sain would have two or three that followed him around all game. If anything we should have faked it to him and use him that way. The comments about throwing the ball I would agree with that. We should have thrown more to open the run game. But we don’t! There was no back that could run against the Murphy defense on Friday night. Not when they were getting hit when they got the handoff or behind the line. I don’t care who you have at running back if you can’t block eight men with five or six. As for the Murphy defense they knew who to key on. It seems like other teams have more respect for our players than we do. How many times did I see one of our players pick up a teammate Friday night? None. Murphy players were picking them up. Maybe that’s the problem. Everyone want to be the man but not everybody wants to do the work that the man has to do.

Well, there are juniors and senior RBs that can run the ball and they are just as fast...believe me, he is not the only horse in stable...what I’m saying is the pairing in play now isn’t working. As stated earlier, we could have had at least the same if not better success with different players...What would it have hurt to try it?

Oh that’s what it is........ Best player plays over a Junior or senior???? That’s football!
May I remind you this 14 year old started some games on varsity as a freshman. Now he is 15 and is the second leading rusher and scorer in the conference. Want to talk trash? Look at the results!! It’s ridiculous to put this garbage on ncpreps and make it look like this team has problems. Maybe the problem is you and others who don’t support this team.

Fellow ncpreps people. Don’t buy this horse crap this so called maroon machine fan is trying to sell. This is nothing but fake news. Obviously just want to create drama and try to sell some bull &@$”!!

If Swain doesn't want Sain we'll gladly take him at Murphy. He's a humble and hard working kid from what I can tell.

Reactions: Swaindad40
He would be well-suited for the Wing-T at wingback.
And he would have a much better line blocking for him, just saying. The Murphy lines will be flat out loaded with talent and depth the next two years.

Last edited:
I hope you know your posts sound like your biased of an individual player and you need to watch what you say because I don’t condone talking about a kid who has played his heart out for this team. If you have a problem with him go straight to the boys father and say something to him. Not only that but he has got us results with almost 950 yards rushing /over 1300 total yards and 15TD’s. All second highest in conference. You also talk about us needing a new free safety?? Maybe you have not realized this or know anything about being in the secondary. But he has 27 solo tackles on this team and chases everyone down from across the field. He had 7 solo td saving tackles in the Murphy game and all were from the side and most were untouched until he tackled them one on one in the open field. Our free safety should not make a tackle. He missed one tackle in the game and has shown all season that he is not afraid to tackle a 200lb back. But you talk as if he has not done anything for this team. How about some respect for our players??

As for the coaching that’s your opinion and feel free to talk about that as much as you want. This is a public forum but like I said I don’t condone talking bad about a player.

A lot of credit has to be given to Murphy ‘s defense and coaches. They knew what plays we run and who to key on. Sain would have two or three that followed him around all game. If anything we should have faked it to him and use him that way. The comments about throwing the ball I would agree with that. We should have thrown more to open the run game. But we don’t! There was no back that could run against the Murphy defense on Friday night. Not when they were getting hit when they got the handoff or behind the line. I don’t care who you have at running back if you can’t block eight men with five or six. As for the Murphy defense they knew who to key on. It seems like other teams have more respect for our players than we do. How many times did I see one of our players pick up a teammate Friday night? None. Murphy players were picking them up. Maybe that’s the problem. Everyone want to be the man but not everybody wants to do the work that the man has to do.

Well this seem to have hit a nerve..Are you bias? Tell me what your prototypical FS looks like...Do they attack or run down plays from behind?

It about coaches not changing the plan when current plan is not working...as far as rushing yards are concerned give the ball to the other backs 150 times over 9 games and they would have similar numbers. So keep on talking about line not blocking....its the line’s fault...Come on...defensively, our third and second level run support is lacking...and you yourselves stated current FS has to run folks down from behind...wouldn’t having to chase them down if FS is attacking and helping with run support..just saying...

Fellow ncpreps people. Don’t buy this horse crap this so called maroon machine fan is trying to sell. This is nothing but fake news. Obviously just want to create drama and try to sell some bull &@$”!!

Ok, Donald, let get back thread...and how it was O/D lines fault we lost the game...that FS shouldn’t be making tackles...come on, swaindad40..

Well this seem to have hit a nerve..Are you bias? Tell me what your prototypical FS looks like...Do they attack or run down plays from behind?

It about coaches not changing the plan when current plan is not working...as far as rushing yards are concerned give the ball to the other backs 150 times over 9 games and they would have similar numbers. So keep on talking about line not blocking....its the line’s fault...Come on...defensively, our third and second level run support is lacking...and you yourselves stated current FS has to run folks down from behind...wouldn’t having to chase them down if FS is attacking and helping with run support..just saying...

I know a lot about our defense because I actually played defensive back in this system. Free safety has responsibilities reading pass first. Depending on coverage and strong vs week side. He may have deep left or right or middle. If he is in another coverage he may have pitch responsibly. That is rare. When he has pitch responsibilities he is there and makes the plays. Sometimes even when he does not have pitch he still gets there. Tell me another defensive back that covers the entire field and has 27 solo tackles? Against Murphy we ran mostly cover two or three. So depending on the play he may or may not be in front of the ball carrier. He may have to chase them down. I personally witnessed him tackling Murphy backs from the side in the open field one on one seven times. Be glad he can chase them down if need be. Seven out of eight tackles is very good in the open field against Murphy backs. Talking about Murray, McTaggart and Allen. These boys are a load!!! Not to mention he is calling coverages and coordinating other defensive backs. Basically the captain of the secondary.

Who’s talking about he line not blocking? I am not on here blasting the line. I really like our line. If anything I have bragged on them all preseason and defended them on here all f”in season. Even to other teams on here that blasted our line after we played. Despite others on here saying they are slow etc.... I said it’s hard to block 8 or 9 in the box with six players. We need to have a passing game that will open up our offense. Maybe we should try to throw more? That would resolve almost everything except parents that want to cause and stir up drama! Which by the way is not good for any team or community. It’s stupid. So grow up and quit talking about our players. They just want to play football and win as a team.

Well, we may get to play again in a few weeks...if you get the SMC 1 seed and we luck up and get into playoffs. So lower seeds always play higher seeds. So there is a chance for a rematch. I can’t agree with the jimmy and joe thing. Our line played well for the played called. We should have never run into the teeth of a defense that’s setup to stop off tackle plays...we should have throwed the five yard out, Murphy’s secondary gave us 10 yards off the ball all night, for sure we could have completed a few of these...but, no we run three times into a defense where there are three unblocked players every time...yep, that’s a jimmy and joe thing...

If you think that's the problem ask Robbinsville how they faired running off tackle and the edge against that same defense.

Murphy has a very good d that is not setup to stop one particular scenario

I will wait

Straight up the gut is how Robbinsville finally got it's yards against Murphy..but it was a little too late

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT