ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ Mitchell

Last nights game is the best high school game i have ever watched. Both teams played their hearts out,just wish the outcome had been better. I was nervous wreck the whole game and dipped a whole can of grizzly during the game. I tell you Mitchell will get a ring one year and i m thinking it just might be next year. No one thought Mitchell would be as good as they were this year after losing so many guys last year.Good luck to both Murphy and to Robbinsville next week One of you all bring that trophy back to the mountains and show them city guys what mountain football is all about. One more thing i have a family member that played his last game last night and when he walked off that field he was so heart broken, he just stood at the gate at looked at that field knowing he wouldnt play ball on it again. Great kids in this part of the state that represent our schools and i m proud to be a fan of NC High School football and the Mitchell Mountaineers.
excellent post, thanks for sharing

Great game, one of the best I have seen in a long time. Mitchell has a fine football team and we were fortunate to come out with a W. You cant let a good team hang around and that's what Mitchell did. They never put Murphy away and I thought they let their foot off the gas or ranout of gas in the 4th .Mountaineers will be strong next year .

Yeah your right, they found a weakness on the right side. Yeah he's a load.

On the same note great coaching from Mitchell as well. The qb delayed dive play, they picked on our young middle linebacker number 2 would kick him out and #7 ran behind him to fill the hole. If you pay attention to it that's a well designed play kudos to your coaching staff for being prepared. I thought your staff did a good job running away from 32 and 40 when you had the ball.

Roughing the passer Gentry advantage coming through. When you play Murphy you can’t leave it in the refs hands. He also had a pretty classless statement that they should’ve never had to come to ledger in the first place. He may be right but as a coach have some class. If he thinks the smc was tougher than whc this year he’s wrong. Heritage would’ve had their way with Murphy honestly.

Classless? Hardly. It was the truth. And do not get started with classless acts.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Alright I've read enough. There was nothing but class and good sportsmanship ALL NIGHT FOR BOTH TEAMS. Yeah, Mitchell got a bum call that negated a touchdown. But Murphy didn't score on that drive. Don't forget that Murphy had a huge 60 yard gain called back. He didn't score, but got inside the 20, and it killed their momentum, going 3 and out afterwards, and Mitchell scored on their next possession. Fairly poor officiating all night, from the 5 minute discussions, to the general confusion between refs. Mitchell's calls proved to be more detrimental in the end. No sour grapes from this Mountaineer. It was a dandy game, and I feel fortunate to have witnessed it. I feel like this will be one us keyboard jockeys will talk about for years to come.

On the same note great coaching from Mitchell as well. The qb delayed dive play, they picked on our young middle linebacker number 2 would kick him out and #7 ran behind him to fill the hole. If you pay attention to it that's a well designed play kudos to your coaching staff for being prepared. I thought your staff did a good job running away from 32 and 40 when you had the ball.
I agree for the most part especially D was well prepared,but it might not have worked but there is one play that Mitchell has used and didn't last night is #10 going across the middle about 10 yards right behind the line backers and sometimes that's all he needs for a big play. But the decision I do really question is your 9 points ahead on your 45 - 4th about 7 and going for it. Murphy may have scored any way but if you punt there you have good odds of them having to drive 30 or 40 more yards which takes more time off the clock and more chances for your D to do something like get a turn over. Now they could have had a big run back but he could also muff the catch. We were all going surely he's not really going for it thought at first ( hoping really) he was just trying to draw Murphy off sides. But that's my last rant about it. It was a really good game. Boys on both sides couldn't have played harder and I saw a lot of good sportsmanship things like tacklers helping the guy they just knock down back up. From the looks of the last game the Murphy - Rville game should be a good one.

But the decision I do really question is your 9 points ahead on your 45 - 4th about 7 and going for it. Murphy may have scored any way but if you punt there you have good odds of them having to drive 30 or 40 more yards which takes more time off the clock and more chances for your D to do something like get a turn over. Now they could have had a big run back but he could also muff the catch. We were all going surely he's not really going for it thought at first ( hoping really) he was just trying to draw Murphy off sides.

My thoughts exactly and in my opinion cost Mitchell the game.

The award for the smart fan does go to the Murphy fan who brought their blue easy up to the game.

Reactions: Cdoc73 and mhs95
I agree for the most part especially D was well prepared,but it might not have worked but there is one play that Mitchell has used and didn't last night is #10 going across the middle about 10 yards right behind the line backers and sometimes that's all he needs for a big play. But the decision I do really question is your 9 points ahead on your 45 - 4th about 7 and going for it. Murphy may have scored any way but if you punt there you have good odds of them having to drive 30 or 40 more yards which takes more time off the clock and more chances for your D to do something like get a turn over. Now they could have had a big run back but he could also muff the catch. We were all going surely he's not really going for it thought at first ( hoping really) he was just trying to draw Murphy off sides. But that's my last rant about it. It was a really good game. Boys on both sides couldn't have played harder and I saw a lot of good sportsmanship things like tacklers helping the guy they just knock down back up. From the looks of the last game the Murphy - Rville game should be a good one.

My opinion on your comment about passing it to #10 over the middle . Last time these two teams met Mitchell threw 3 interceptions 2 of them to our linebacker on that play . Your coach called a good game , imo that pass wasn't needed . The run game was working and he put them in a position to win without risking a turnover.

We tried to pass all night and it was so wet the ball was going through the hands of our receivers as they were wide open. I know what your saying but I think he called a good game.

I absolutely agree they should have punted it instead of going for it on 4th. They had the lead momentum and a chance to pin us deep. That flipped the field for us, gave us great field position and momentum . I thought that play swung the game. But if Mitchell converted and you went down to score I think you would have won that game .

That's one of those what ifs that suck when you lose.

Reactions: Mhsneer and mbdfan
I thought Mitchell going for it on 4th down at the 45 really hurt. They had the field flipped. Hope you pin Murphy inside the 5. Maybe you get a turnover. Mitchell doesn't get the 4th down and 3 plays later Murphy scores. I thought was the biggest part of the game that had to do with the outcome.

Last edited:
My opinion on your comment about passing it to #10 over the middle . Last time these two teams met Mitchell threw 3 interceptions 2 of them to our linebacker on that play . Your coach called a good game , imo that pass wasn't needed . The run game was working and he put them in a position to win without risking a turnover.

We tried to pass all night and it was so wet the ball was going through the hands of our receivers as they were wide open. I know what your saying but I think he called a good game.

I absolutely agree they should have punted it instead of going for it on 4th. They had the lead momentum and a chance to pin us deep. That flipped the field for us, gave us great field position and momentum . I thought that play swung the game. But if Mitchell converted and you went down to score I think you would have won that game .

That's one of those what ifs that suck when you lose.
Well as long as the run works fine. But the line backers were play up and it looked like a hole behind them and it might not have worked but it been a very reliable play all year it was a td in the Cherokee game. But I just believe it's better higher percentage pass play then some of the long passes that didn't work like the long one at the end which there was still time and i personally would have concentrated on just getting the first down. But it is what it is great season especially after losing so many seniors off last years team. I do believe he is the best coach we have had very glad to have him had made a lot more good decisions then bad and he should still have a good team next year and maybe a new astroturf to play on. I know coach Russell before him said he spent a lot his time helping try to keep that field maintained.

Reactions: smcdogfan
The 2 best teams in 1a played last night. And 1aa West for that matter. Murphy will wipe the floor with Robbinsville next week.
LoL..
Whats Mitchell EVER won?
What conference puts you out of the playoffs year in year out?
How many State Championships do you have?
What has your team accomplished?
Well I'm sorry but I guess you do have a bunch of moral victories.
Hope it makes you guys feel better calling Gentry classless..That's the only reason I chimed in.
Good luck wrestling.Nevermind,we will beat you at that too.

Reactions: rville20
LoL..
Whats Mitchell EVER won?
What conference puts you out of the playoffs year in year out?
How many State Championships do you have?
What has your team accomplished?
Well I'm sorry but I guess you do have a bunch of moral victories.
Hope it makes you guys feel better calling Gentry classless..That's the only reason I chimed in.
Good luck wrestling.Nevermind,we will beat you at that too.
It's cute how Robbinsville fans have to hide behind their conference. The black knights haven't ever put Mitchell out of the playoffs, actually the opposite. Your 14 state championships don't mean anything this season, and if you will read, I know it's hard for the illiterate, but I did not call anyone classless.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cute how Robbinsville fans have to hide behind their conference. The black knights haven't ever put Mitchell out of the playoffs, actually the opposite. Your 14 state championships don't mean anything this season, and if you will read, I know it's hard for the illiterate, but I did not call anyone classless. Now go take your ass whipping next week like the naughty little boy you are.
WOW it must be ruff excepting the fact that after you added an EC so you could drop a class you still can't win a Cship

Classless? Hardly. It was the truth. And do not get started with classless acts.
The classless thing was Mitchell coaching staff not letting parents congratulate there kids on the field! WTH Both teams played a heck of a game all the most respect to the Mitchell players great game ! So please don’t ever say classless about Coach Gentry fixing to be the coach with more wins than any coach ever in the state of NC !!! Now let’s move on to Dogs vs Knights!! GO DOGS!!!

It's like this, if we win next week we will beat the EC the delinquent school, Highwassi Dam and murphy

The classless thing was Mitchell coaching staff not letting parents congratulate there kids on the field! WTH Both teams played a heck of a game all the most respect to the Mitchell players great game ! So please don’t ever say classless about Coach Gentry fixing to be the coach with more wins than any coach ever in the state of NC !!! Now let’s move on to Dogs vs Knights!! GO DOGS!!!
Sorry Bulldogs parents Mitchell’s was on the field!

This really happened? They wouldn’t let Murphy parents on the field? Why? One year ago when the Braves won our fans were everywhere after the game and definitely on the field.

It's cute how Robbinsville fans have to hide behind their conference. The black knights haven't ever put Mitchell out of the playoffs, actually the opposite. Your 14 state championships don't mean anything this season, and if you will read, I know it's hard for the illiterate, but I did not call anyone classless. Now go take your ass whipping next week like the naughty little boy you are.
Robbinsville has never had to hide behind our conference! Whenever you win something that’s relevant you can come talk trash until then take your ass on to the wrestling mat to get it spanked by Robbinsville again this year. Or you can just go to the roundball forum either one... no one cares let’s move on to the WESTERN REGIONAL FINAL!! DOGS VS KNIGHTS!

Reactions: rville20 and Gps62
This really happened? They wouldn’t let Murphy parents on the field? Why? One year ago when the Braves won our fans were everywhere after the game and definitely on the field.

No they wouldn't. I was standing at the fence and law enforcement was there keeping anyone from going on the field

Yes the SRO officers where at the fence and would not lets us on the field. But that was ok ours Dogs came to the track next to the fence and that’s where Coach Gentry gave his victory speak !

Last nights game is the best high school game i have ever watched. Both teams played their hearts out,just wish the outcome had been better. I was nervous wreck the whole game and dipped a whole can of grizzly during the game. I tell you Mitchell will get a ring one year and i m thinking it just might be next year. No one thought Mitchell would be as good as they were this year after losing so many guys last year.Good luck to both Murphy and to Robbinsville next week One of you all bring that trophy back to the mountains and show them city guys what mountain football is all about. One more thing i have a family member that played his last game last night and when he walked off that field he was so heart broken, he just stood at the gate at looked at that field knowing he wouldnt play ball on it again. Great kids in this part of the state that represent our schools and i m proud to be a fan of NC High School football and the Mitchell Mountaineers.
A very good post sir. Fans like you make the sport great. Good luck to your Mountaineers next year. Go Knights.

Was Kirby Smart at the Mitchell game last night.Why would do a fake punt at the 50 against Bama?

Reactions: Gps62
WOW it must be ruff excepting the fact that after you added an EC so you could drop a class you still can't win a Cship
You are the weakest most scared fan of any school that has ever lived. All you do is cry like a little baby. You are such an embarrassment to your school and fans. You are so utterly ignorant to the real world that your small little brain actually believes that the world revolves around highschool football. Sorry uncle Rico but most people are worried about education not a game. All you want and dream of is a league in which rville is the biggest school in your division. Everyone knows that and has for years now. Other posters from your schools fan base have literally begged you to stop with your ignorance. But you cant, because that's all you know. They should have never let you out of the little trailer on hill in highschool and back into regular population. They knew when they did it you weren't capable of interacting with the normal population but they did it anyway and your behavior on here proves they were right.

I looked at my buddy and told him that just cost Mitchell the game. Flipped field position and gave Murphy new life

You are the weakest most scared fan of any school that has ever lived. All you do is cry like a little baby. You are such an embarrassment to your school and fans. You are so utterly ignorant to the real world that your small little brain actually believes that the world revolves around highschool football. Sorry uncle Rico but most people are worried about education not a game. All you want and dream of is a league in which rville is the biggest school in your division. Everyone knows that and has for years now. Other posters from your schools fan base have literally begged you to stop with your ignorance. But you cant, because that's all you know. They should have never let you out of the little trailer on hill in highschool and back into regular population. They knew when they did it you weren't capable of interacting with the normal population but they did it anyway and your behavior on here proves they were right.
And what is murphy right now, the biggest school in your division. Give it a rest, when murphy dose like SWAIN and plays where the belong you will get respect.

What Gentry was saying is they won the smc 1a and should’ve been a one seed I’m not sure I disagree but then drag up here and play heritage the only team we lost to in conference and see how it goes for him

Reactions: rville20
I'm sure I am wasting time typing this because I learned over week disgussing this he doesn't listen to facts but because this was discussed during the week I downloaded the nchsaa ADM rules and it stated that if there is a EC in the county but doesn't have sports teams that the high school that they would have went to has too count those students in thier ADM. Plus you can't just look at the adm for just sports I mean I would hope that our high schools actually what to give the kids an education more then win in sports and that takes money , the less students you have the less money you get from the state.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
And what is murphy right now, the biggest school in your division. Give it a rest, when murphy dose like SWAIN and plays where the belong you will get respect.
They are the biggest team left Rico. But they weren't the biggest team when the playoffs started. I dont expect you to understand how things work T. I know you have never understood anything and trust me no one is searching for your respect.

I'm sure I am wasting time typing this because I learned over week disgussing this he doesn't listen to facts but because this was discussed during the week I downloaded the nchsaa ADM rules and it stated that if there is a EC in the county but doesn't have sports teams that the high school that they would have went to has too count those students in thier ADM. Plus you can't just look at the adm for just sports I mean I would hope that our high schools actually what to give the kids an education more then win in sports and that takes money , the less students you have the less money you get from the state.
everybody that is taking advantage of this rule is in favor of it, why not just play where you all belong and earn respect like R'ville has over the years, instead of tacking advantage of all the little schools that play where they belong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT