ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy Mitchell Girls

Mitchell didn't impress me all that much on Wednesday night....if murphy has size which I think they do they should win easily.....alleghany owned the boards just couldn't finish at the rim....we were getting 3 and 4 rebounds on the same possession and couldn't make a shot from 2 ft from the goal once we got the boards...doubt murphy has that problem.

Mitchell didn't impress me all that much on Wednesday night....if murphy has size which I think they do they should win easily.....alleghany owned the boards just couldn't finish at the rim....we were getting 3 and 4 rebounds on the same possession and couldn't make a shot from 2 ft from the goal once we got the boards...doubt murphy has that problem.

Not trying to totally disagree with you here but according to maxpreps, Mitchell out rebounded Alleghany.

As for Saturday Murphy is without a doubt the heavy favorite. Experience in playing in this game last year is a huge advantage. Rogers will be a huge challenge for the undersized Mountaineers. Mitchell will have to play there best game of the season to have a chance. Not blowing smoke here but Murphy has shown to be the class of 1a this year and a Mitchell win would be an upset.

Having said that I got to believe Mitchell has a punchers chance. Heck, if not they are still are 1 of the last 4 out of 112 1a schools still playing tomorrow.

Go Mountaineers

Last edited:
Having said that I got to believe Mitchell has a punchers chance
Mitchell definitely has a chance. Murphy is really good but they aren't unbeatable, they've had a couple of really tight games this season.

I do think Murphy's A game is better than anyone else's A game in 1A this year but this isn't a best of 5 or best of 7 series, it's a one game scenario and in a single game anything can happen, especially if one team has a bad night where the shots aren't falling.

Last edited:
I love this group of girls that Murphy has. A lot of talent on the floor. You cant just key in on Rogers, which is a huge advantage for Murphy. They have what it takes to win a state title. Just have to take care of business. Good luck and GO LADY DOGS!
Everyone talks about Rogers (who is a great player no doubt) but Addison and Pullium would be the best player on a lot of 1A teams too.

Reactions: MHS-88
Wilson ,who is way under-rated
Wilson will get there soon, she is a good player now but she is going to be really good player as an upperclassmen because she is a very hard worker and has the athleticism to go with that work ethic. Martin is a good young player too, she would be a starter on just about any other 1A team.

Murphy is in pretty good shape for at least the next two seasons with Rogers, Wilson, Martin and Phillips all being just sophomores. Next year's team will again be one of the favorites in 1A returning 4 of 5 starters and 7 of 9 in the rotation. Losing Addison will definitely hurt but they've already proven they can beat really good competition without her.

Last edited:
Not trying to totally disagree with you here but according to maxpreps, Mitchell out rebounded Alleghany.

As for Saturday Murphy is without a doubt the heavy favorite. Experience in playing in this game last year is a huge advantage. Rogers will be a huge challenge for the undersized Mountaineers. Mitchell will have to play there best game of the season to have a chance. Not blowing smoke here but Murphy has shown to be the class of 1a this year and a Mitchell win would be an upset.

Having said that I got to believe Mitchell has a punchers chance. Heck, if not they are still are 1 of the last 4 out of 112 1a schools still playing tomorrow.

Go Mountaineers
I’ll totally disagree with him! Lol. Alleghany owned the student section( it was a great student section) and the 3 pt line ( 14 was lights out) but that was the only thing they owned. I don’t recall too many 3-4 shots at point blank but whatever. As for impressed, probably good he wasn’t or it would have been 30 instead of 19 they lost by. As for Murphy they are and should be heavily favored, they’ll beat Mitchell on the boards cause most teams do. What worries me as a Mitchell fan is can they hit shots or even get open looks with Murphy’s length. If they can then they can compete, if not, it’ll be a long game. Murphy has the most room for error.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Game was tied till our best player got in foul trouble late 3rd qtr....that's when y'all went on your run....and it's not an excuse it's a fact...when she came out of the game we couldn't even get the ball up the court anymore but keep thinking yall were alot better than us...bottom line is neither one of us would beat murphy...Enjoy your butt whipping this weekend...alleghany missed a ton of shots right under the rim...you must of been one of the 50 fans that made the trip...I thought y'all would have brought more,...I watched yall bring a ton to albemarle years ago in football playoffs. Your girls played with a lot of heart and effort...but talent murphy is head and shoulders above them. You'll see.

Last edited:
Game was tied till our best player got in foul trouble late 3rd qtr....that's when y'all went on your run....and it's not an excuse it's a fact...when she came out of the game we couldn't even get the ball up the court anymore but keep thinking yall were alot better than us...bottom line is neither one of us would beat murphy...Enjoy your butt whipping this weekend...alleghany missed a ton of shots right under the rim...you must of been one of the 50 fans that made the trip...I thought y'all would have brought more,...I watched yall bring a ton to albemarle years ago in football playoffs. Your girls played with a lot of heart and effort...but talent murphy is head and shoulders above them. You'll see.
Your best player wasn’t a factor, foul trouble or not. If you can’t get the ball up the court minus 1 player you’re definitely not the 2 seed. I don’t think we were a lot better I know it. I’ll enjoy the butt whooping because it wasn’t from you, If it was it would have been a slap in the face to the 2 teams we beat before that was better than you.

Never said we deserved the 2 seed...in fact I actually thought y'all were gonna blow us out...but when we hung with u for 3 qtrs I was like....man yall ain't all that....truth be told east surry or you guys should have had the 2 seed. When y'all beat mountain heritage I expected yall to jump us. Best of luck Saturday! I watched the game with green and gold glasses on and yall watched them with purple...so the truth is somewhere in the middle. Lookin forward to watchin more playoff football games at Mitchell yall have a great stadium! Hope more fans show up for the game Saturday then the 50 yall had the other day. Serious ? Have yall had 14 players all year or bring up the jv. We had 11 girls dressed out yall had 14.

i watch in purple so I understand. I defend as you defend. 14 was great, Alleghany never quit. That’s enough. We brought up 3.

well I’d say we gave em all they wanted. Hats off to Murphy

This felt like the Murphy - East Surry west regional all over again, I was having bad flashbacks the last 2 minutes. Maybe now that Murphy finally has this monkey off their back they can play freely for 4 quarters in the state title game.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It was a great game. Murphy dominated the 1st half and Mitchell out played them the 2nd. Not too bad for an undersized, unimpressive, not as good as the East Surry team. Realistically it could have been a 20 pt loss as easy as it was a 1 pt loss. But Mitchell never quit and competed. All you can ask for. Congratulations Murphy. That’s an extremely skilled team.

This felt like the Murphy - East Surry west regional all over again, I was having bad flashbacks the last 2 minutes. Maybe now that Murphy finally has this monkey off their back they can play freely for 4 quarters in the state title game.
I felt the same way. But a win is a win. Congratulations Lady Bulldogs

Reactions: mbdfan
It was a great game. Murphy dominated the 1st half and Mitchell out played them the 2nd. Not too bad for an undersized, unimpressive, not as good as the East Surry team. Realistically it could have been a 20 pt loss as easy as it was a 1 pt loss. But Mitchell never quit and competed. All you can ask for. Congratulations Murphy. That’s an extremely skilled team.

would’ve been interesting to see what would’ve happened had Mitchell pressed man more throughout the game

Go bring it back west. Congratulations, Mitchell loses 3 players i think but bring up an undefeated jv team.

Reactions: Mhsneer
would’ve been interesting to see what would’ve happened had Mitchell pressed man more throughout the game
Generally that won't work against this Murphy team but they were rattled at that point, so good strategy from Mitchell at that phase of the game, that along with some missed free throws late by Murphy nearly got them the win.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I thought Rogers looked totally off yesterday and was wondering what was going on, turns out she woke up sick yesterday morning. Good news is she should be fine by next weekend with antibiotics but it's really contagious, I know because I just had it and now my son and ole lady have it. I'm really hoping the rest of the team avoids getting it or it could affect the game next week.

Last edited:
Just when you thought Murphy had delivered a knockout punch, Mitchell would bury a 3. It happened multiple times throughout the game. Mitchell fought tooth and nail and never gave up. Ive not seen Murphy that rattled(last min of the game) all season. Happy to get out of there with the win. I just knew Mitchell was going to come down the court and hit a 3 to win at the buzzer. Shout out to Mitchell girls and Congrats to the Lady Bulldogs for moving on to the state championship game!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT