ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy can’t win in 1AA

MY ORIGINAL POST above!
Not taking shots at anybody, just stating the facts! Doesn’t matter about my credentials. I could be the head of the NCHSAA or a career criminal just released from prison. Facts are Facts!

I challenge anyone to show me where I am wrong in my original post!

I am SAM THE MAN!
You are Sam the jealous, cryn tears cause you must of been one that got ur feelings handed to ya

I was there in 91-92

I was there, i watch i played,. I feel in 91 we could of competed or beat any of the teams

In 92' I do not see that Murphy could beat EF due to size. EF line was like college. Their tackles were 295 and 300. Both guards and center were over 200 for sure. EF ran Single Wing T with Joe LaGarde as a QB. They will run y'all to death. What they will do is to pound the defense line over and over again and by the time third quarter and fourth quarter comes around, defense would be fatigued and will give up big runs. I had seen it quite a bit that year. Joe LaGarde could pass pretty good and WR's were no slouch.They would pound ya and then out of blue, make a long pass play. That what happened in state final against Northern Durham.

Murphy had a fine team in 92 but no where near as good as EF. Y'all might compete for a quarter or two but that about it. I have no disrespect for Murphy 91' or 92' team. In my opinion, Murphy should play in 2A conference but y'all appealed to NCHSAA to play down due to travel issue. I understand that because when I was in school, we had 1 and half to three hrs drive on the bus for conference games and it takes a toll.

West Charlotte and South View were pretty big in 91' and they do have speed too. I think y'all will do fine in 2A and maybe 3A state final teams but not 4A .

Let's be honest ....can Mt. Airy and Tarboro can beat against Mallard Creek and Wake Forest this year? NO but there is a reason why we have different classifications. That way, small schools can compete and play other teams on same level.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
In 92' I do not see that Murphy could beat EF due to size. EF line was like college. Their tackles were 295 and 300. Both guards and center were over 200 for sure. EF ran Single Wing T with Joe LaGarde as a QB. They will run y'all to death. What they will do is to pound the defense line over and over again and by the time third quarter and fourth quarter comes around, defense would be fatigued and will give up big runs. I had seen it quite a bit that year. Joe LaGarde could pass pretty good and WR's were no slouch.They would pound ya and then out of blue, make a long pass play. That what happened in state final against Northern Durham.

Murphy had a fine team in 92 but no where near as good as EF. Y'all might compete for a quarter or two but that about it. I have no disrespect for Murphy 91' or 92' team. In my opinion, Murphy should play in 2A conference but y'all appealed to NCHSAA to play down due to travel issue. I understand that because when I was in school, we had 1 and half to three hrs drive on the bus for conference games and it takes a toll.

West Charlotte and South View were pretty big in 91' and they do have speed too. I think y'all will do fine in 2A and maybe 3A state final teams but not 4A .

Let's be honest ....can Mt. Airy and Tarboro can beat against Mallard Creek and Wake Forest this year? NO but there is a reason why we have different classifications. That way, small schools can compete and play other teams on same level.
That's ur oppinion , just bring a hater, trust me 91 had plenty of speed

East Forsyth was impressive champion and that was a great game! Northern Durham had a lot of underclassmen and their 1993 is one of the better ones I have watched play.

Thought the NCHSAA should have came up with a plan for Murphy to go to the 2A playoffs. Everything was predetermined then which I did not like. Was not fair to Murphy's players to not be eligible for the playoffs every other year and not fair to their opponents. What is good for one school will not be good for every school. Nothing is perfect.

Reactions: mactazheels
East Forsyth was impressive champion and that was a great game! Northern Durham had a lot of underclassmen and their 1993 is one of the better ones I have watched play.

Thought the NCHSAA should have came up with a plan for Murphy to go to the 2A playoffs. Everything was predetermined then which I did not like. Was not fair to Murphy's players to not be eligible for the playoffs every other year and not fair to their opponents. What is good for one school will not be good for every school. Nothing is perfect.

The state would of allowed Murphy to play 2A, but it was not what Murphy petitioned for.

The state would of allowed Murphy to play 2A, but it was not what Murphy petitioned for.

You misunderstood. I fully understand why Murphy wanted to remain in the conference they had been in and I do not think it was based on competition. My point was, I thought they should have been placed in the 2A playoffs in some form. That would have left the 32d and last qualifying 2A team out of the playoff. Does not work for that squad! Issue then was playoff slots were pre determined on a rotating conference plan before the season started. Not a right answer.

You misunderstood. I fully understand why Murphy wanted to remain in the conference they had been in and I do not think it was based on competition. I know they could have remained in the 2A classification if they had not appealed. My point was, I thought they should have been placed in the 2A playoffs in some form and not have been in the 1A playoffs any of the four years. It is not fair to the student athletes to not get a chance in those odd years they are out but it is not fair to the opponents the years they are in the 1A playoffs.

Years they would have been placed in the 2A playoffs would have left the 32d and last qualifying 2A team out of the playoff. Does not work for that squad! Issue then was playoff slots were pre determined on a rotating conference plan before the season started. Not a right answer.

the Way it unfolded was the original reclassification placed Murphy in 2A. Murphy appealed the placement and was placed in 1A with no restrictions. Some other 1A schools appealed and the state compromised and devised the every other year system.

the Way it unfolded was the original reclassification placed Murphy in 2A. Murphy appealed the placement and was placed in 1A with no restrictions. Some other 1A schools appealed and the state compromised and devised the every other year system.

I am aware of how it played it out. I agree with allowing Murphy to play in the 1A conference for the regular season. I did not agree with allowing them to play in the 1A playoffs. I thought there should have been some type of playoff solution placing them in 2A for the playoffs based on certain criteria and objectives being met. As I wrote the last school out of those 2A playoffs would have been slighted and at that time it was much tougher to make the playoffs. Also, with the predetermined slots it was basically impossible.

I think if you going drop down in class it should be because your numbers fall. Not your nerd numbers but you enrollment as a whole. If your team isnt affected you shouldnt drop down. I dont feel murphys football teams are worse after 09 than before. Nothing changed as far as the fb team. So why drop down?
Robbinsville has no advantages and thats the way we like it. If we had a EC we might have 250 kids then but nothing changes. So whats the difference? Seems like a huge advantage. Carry on.

There is a numbers cutoff point. Murphy numbers are around that point. EC is a different school just like HD and Andrews. Murphy will be little A if numbers go down some Big A if they don't. It is what it is. I don't think it matters to the kids.

Anyone that said pandJ eon those titles for us is a DA. You think one of the biggest land ckearing companies in America gave a crap about hs football? Funny. They built a business. They hired who they thought was the best. did they scout the kids or take the word of the parent? Just stupid to say. Probably the dumbest thing ever on here. Think about it.

I think if you going drop down in class it should be because your numbers fall. Not your nerd numbers but you enrollment as a whole. If your team isnt affected you shouldnt drop down. I dont feel murphys football teams are worse after 09 than before. Nothing changed as far as the fb team. So why drop down?
Robbinsville has no advantages and thats the way we like it. If we had a EC we might have 250 kids then but nothing changes. So whats the difference? Seems like a huge advantage. Carry on.

378 football playing schools in the state. There has to some type of continuity in the rules and not for each school.

In most counties that I know of early college students cannot play sports so they do not count them in the enrollment.

Murphy follows the rules presented in front of them....any other argument is ignorant and baseless. You can put white hats on and call yourself saints and demonize a program with no legitimate reason other than sheer jealous and the feeling of unfairness. But the fact is Murphy wins and they win well. Your sentiments are asinine and speculative. Always has been in relation to anything MHS.

Hey 35. I went out of my way the last few week not to call names or trash murphy. These other posters got u dog fans pissed and you come at me with the name calling. I am not them nor did i do anything. Im sorry it bothers you that alot of folks through out the state think murphy is shady.

Reactions: TigerDen1
Its a advantage period.
Also nothing i said was a lie. Its a opinion. I dont think disticts should overlap. Its a problem. The phillips and jordon thing is a flat out lie that cannot be proven in the very least. Stupid to think pandj would even do that.

Last edited:
Well stuff we only have 14 titles so you lost me on that one. And i have looked at our first 8 tit les. We was not the biggest ever. Some years we was one of the biggest but never did something like overlapping district lines ever make us one of the biggest. It is were we was naturally.

and so are we like it or not , tell your adult friends to count during assembly ,if your kids would participate in football as they do in wrestling they would have numbers in the high 30s or low 40s.14 titles and your still jealous of Murphy, get over it, Gentry will retire one day and your chances will go back up.

actually we only have 80 eighth graders about 20 less than our senior class , so Merry Christmas.

How much chance is there that all of Cherokee County schools consolidate into one high school? I've heard a lot of talk of it this year combining all three high schools. I hope not. Would be a scheduling nightmare and would lose out on a lot of relationships.

a little investigating I would like for BK to do, check Robbinsvilles numbers against other 1a teams for their first 15 titles , I think you will find they were the largest school in 1a.

During the 1970's there were less than 40 teams in 1A.

All these Murphy posters act like numbers don't matter. If numbers don't matter then why did the School Board adopt a policy that EC students couldn't participate in MHS athletics? The reason is so they wouldn't count towards their enrollment, thus dropping the enrollment of MHS, consequently giving them much better chances of playing in 1A rather than 1AA.
I'm a fan of the entire SMC. Best confence in the State.
Murphy has, for years, played and beaten teams larger in size than them. I believe them to be one of the best programs in History of this great State and Conference. I believe they have had great coaches over the years and some great players.

However, one would be lying to not admit that circumstances greatly favor Murphy. Aside from a great tradition, Murphy is the second largest school in the Conference. At minimum, Murphy will play 5 teams each season on their schedule, that are at least 100 students smaller than them (Andrews, Robbinsville, Hayesville, Cherokee, and Rosman). This year, add on 2 home school teams and that brings that total to 7 teams. (I'm not faulting Murphy for scheduling home school teams. I realize that many teams will not agree to play a successful program like Murphy, fearing losses.)

So that means that 7 of Murphy's 11 regular season games, they had a substantial "size" advantage in terms of student enrollment, over their opponent. In the other 4 games that Murphy played, they went 2-2. Again, playing some great opponents in those 4 schools, but still won 2 and lost 2. I've read the term "mediocre" on this thread, I believe that's what they were talking about. I don't believe that Murphy is a mediocre program.

Having said all this, I've been around the SMC a long time. I've heard many people from Murphy down play an accomplishment from other schools, such as them having a winning record. Attaining a winning record isn't much of an accomplishment at Murphy; but to some of the other schools in the SMC it is.
Example: We already stated that this particular year, Murphy went 7-0 versus teams that they were at least 100 students larger than. But teams bigger or their size, 2-2. Imagine a team, like the other 5 SMC schools I mentioned, where its perhaps flipped. Maybe on their particular schedule they are only "bigger" than 4 schools out of the 11 games they have scheduled. When every year approximately 50% of your schedule consists of teams much larger than you, achieving a winning record becomes a much bigger accomplishment.
So yes teams like Hayesville or Andrews will schedule Towns Co or Copper Basin or Tellico Plains. Trying to schedule non confence opponents more comparable to their size, because they know they are going to have to run the "gauntlet" come SMC play.
So a Murphy poster bragging about their record against a Andrews or Robbinsville or Hayesville, is like a bigger kid bragging about beating up his little brother.

Murphy will win a 1AA title!!! They are a great football program!! But to hear a Murphy poster act as if they see no benefit to Murphy having larger numbers, I believe is not an honest analysis of the situation.
Bottom line, Murphy is a Great Program!! But they also benefit greatly from their circumstances regarding their school size. No one can deny that.
Coach Gentry has 393 wins. That's legendary and everyone knows it. But, had Coach Gentry and his staff been at a different (smaller) school all these years, chances are he wouldn't have the numbers (No pun intended) he does!!

NUMBERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Well stuff we only have 14 titles so you lost me on that one. And i have looked at our first 8 tit les. We was not the biggest ever. Some years we was one of the biggest but never did something like overlapping district lines ever make us one of the biggest. It is were we was naturally.

BK, do Swain, Graham and Jackson County not have overlapping district lines with the Cherokee school system? I know several students have transferred from school to school. I have heard that at one time any student on tribal lands could attend any of those schools. Is this correct?

All these Murphy posters act like numbers don't matter. If numbers don't matter then why did the School Board adopt a policy that EC students couldn't participate in MHS athletics? The reason is so they wouldn't count towards their enrollment, thus dropping the enrollment of MHS, consequently giving them much better chances of playing in 1A rather than 1AA.
Murphy has, for years, played and beaten teams larger in size than them. I believe them to be one of the best programs in History of this great State and Conference. I believe they have had great coaches over the years and some great players.

However, one would be lying to not admit that circumstances greatly favor Murphy. Aside from a great tradition, Murphy is the second largest school in the Conference. At minimum, Murphy will play 5 teams each season on their schedule, that are at least 100 students smaller than them (Andrews, Robbinsville, Hayesville, Cherokee, and Rosman). This year, add on 2 home school teams and that brings that total to 7 teams. (I'm not faulting Murphy for scheduling home school teams. I realize that many teams will not agree to play a successful program like Murphy, fearing losses.)

So that means that 7 of Murphy's 11 regular season games, they had a substantial "size" advantage in terms of student enrollment, over their opponent. In the other 4 games that Murphy played, they went 2-2. Again, playing some great opponents in those 4 schools, but still won 2 and lost 2. I've read the term "mediocre" on this thread, I believe that's what they were talking about. I don't believe that Murphy is a mediocre program.

Having said all this, I've been around the SMC a long time. I've heard many people from Murphy down play an accomplishment from other schools, such as them having a winning record. Attaining a winning record isn't much of an accomplishment at Murphy; but to some of the other schools in the SMC it is.
Example: We already stated that this particular year, Murphy went 7-0 versus teams that they were at least 100 students larger than. But teams bigger or their size, 2-2. Imagine a team, like the other 5 SMC schools I mentioned, where its perhaps flipped. Maybe on their particular schedule they are only "bigger" than 4 schools out of the 11 games they have scheduled. When every year approximately 50% of your schedule consists of teams much larger than you, achieving a winning record becomes a much bigger accomplishment.
So yes teams like Hayesville or Andrews will schedule Towns Co or Copper Basin or Tellico Plains. Trying to schedule non confence opponents more comparable to their size, because they know they are going to have to run the "gauntlet" come SMC play.
So a Murphy poster bragging about their record against a Andrews or Robbinsville or Hayesville, is like a bigger kid bragging about beating up his little brother.

Murphy will win a 1AA title!!! They are a great football program!! But to hear a Murphy poster act as if they see no benefit to Murphy having larger numbers, I believe is not an honest analysis of the situation.
Bottom line, Murphy is a Great Program!! But they also benefit greatly from their circumstances regarding their school size. No one can deny that.
Coach Gentry has 393 wins. That's legendary and everyone knows it. But, had Coach Gentry and his staff been at a different (smaller) school all these years, chances are he wouldn't have the numbers (No pun intended) he does!!

Good post SMCredneck, but you may have an uphill battle to convince some posters that size matters.

As long as Taboro is around, Murphy ain’t winning nothing

Hey 35. I went out of my way the last few week not to call names or trash murphy. These other posters got u dog fans pissed and you come at me with the name calling. I am not them nor did i do anything. Im sorry it bothers you that alot of folks through out the state think murphy is shady.

Sir, I never called you a name. Please reread my post. You went out of your way? Like by not signing on? Bravo then, such restraint. I need to get that white hat ordered. Trust me majority of the state who has actually credentials to have an opinion on high school balls does not think Murphy is “shady”. Suck it up buttercup.

I think of lil' Sammy and his tears EVERYTIME Murphy scores a touchdown against Hayesville, especially the score that puts the Bulldogs over 50 points in 10 in the last 11 year winning streak.....

I think of lil' Sammy and his tears EVERYTIME Murphy scores a touchdown against Hayesville, especially the score that puts the Bulldogs over 50 points in 10 in the last 11 year winning streak.....

No problem little doggie, I go watch my nephew in Franklin sometimes too!! RITFLMBO!!!

Best post I have seen in a while!!!! And dang, it didn’t come from me!
Heck, my wife is a huge football fan. She tells me all the time size matters!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Best post I have seen in a while!!!! And dang, it didn’t come from me!
Heck, my wife is a huge football fan. She tells me all the time size matters!
She ain't talkn bout football in ur case peewee

In fact little doggie, I thought of you every time the scoreboard went “cha ching” during the last basketball game!!!!

No grahsn county does not have over lapping lines. Swain jackson and cherokee did until 5 or 6 yesrs ago.

Stanly County just announced at their last board meeting that students attending the early college program at the community college will be allowed to play sports at their respective home district school. They will be required to provide transportation to and from the school. I would think very few will do this and the ones that do will mostly be individual sport athletes. The students attending will count in their respective home district schools ADM. There are less than 100 students enrolled from the four high schools.

Reactions: richfieldfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT