ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy can’t win in 1AA

SamTheMan

Aug 25, 2001
Let’s go ahead and address the elephant in the room. Murphy has NEVER won a state championship at the 1 AA level. NEVER even played for a State Championship at that level. With their 500+ enrollment, they have no problem beating the Plymouth’s and Jones Counties (both with enrollments of 300+) of the world in the small 1A division.

FACTS: Murphy started playing 1AA in 2001. Here are the playoff scores:

2001 East Surry 17 Murphy 13
2002 Starmount 38 Murphy 12
2003 Hendersonville 27 Murphy 13
2004 Bessemer City 28 Murphy 21
2005 Thomasville 41 Murphy 0
2006 Mount Airy 42 Murphy 20
2007 W. Montgomery 54 Murphy 21
2008 Hendersonville 27 Murphy 20
2009 Albemarle 35. Murphy 28

Now comes along the Early College concept. Voila! Murphy ships about 75-100 students 5 miles up the road to that school (and by the way, according to School Board policy, these students are not allowed to participate in athletics at Murphy, therefore do not count in Murphy’s enrollment!!) How sweet! So Murphy now has the same athletes, but gets to play in 1A!

Beginning in 2010, Murphy starts its winning tradition again playing the 1A schools and beating most of them.

Now it’s 2017 and because of the reduction in the number of 1A schools making the playoffs, Murphy once again finds itself back in 1AA.

2017 Mount Airy 49 Murphy 35.

I rest my case!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken early collage in our county still counts (ADM ) for the school that they came from. Those students can also play sports at the school that they should be attending.

Your “case” has some holes in it. Murphy doesn’t “ship” 75-100 students to the early college. These students apply of their own free will. The early college concept is being used all across the state- not just in Murphy. Tarboro has been impacted by early college and a charter school as well. Murphy is one of the smallest schools in 1aa so it should be more difficult to win against bigger schools. They still dropped 35 on the top 1aa team from the west. How many schools have done that? And who makes this much of an effort to disparage another team? Murphy must have really kicked your teams butt in order for you to build this most convincing (not) case against them. Smh

Not that Murphy needs a Tarboro fan to stick up for them but ... come on man!

Let’s go ahead and address the elephant in the room. Murphy has NEVER won a state championship at the 1 AA level. NEVER even played for a State Championship at that level. With their 500+ enrollment, they have no problem beating the Plymouth’s and Jones Counties (both with enrollments of 300+) of the world in the sma

Now comes along the Early College concept. Voila! Murphy ships about 75-100 students 5 miles up the road to that school (and by the way, according to School Board policy, these students are not allowed to participate in athletics at Murphy, therefore do not count in Murphy’s enrollment!!) How sweet! So Murphy now has the same athletes, but gets to play in 1A!

Beginning in 2010, Murphy starts its winning tradition again playing the 1A schools and beating most of them.

Now it’s 2017 and because of the reduction in the number of 1A schools making the playoffs, Murphy once again finds itself back in 1AA.

I rest my case!!!!!
" Sam good to see you Murphy has missed you , Sincerely Your Daddy. "

Tarboro has been impacted by early college and a charter school as well.
I can remember when Tarboro was a 3A school. And they were extremely competitive as a 3A school. They used to not want to play North Edgecombe (when NE was contending for the 1A title ever year), because they were two classifications above the Warriors. Now they're both 1A.

Things have changed for everyone, with the charter schools, "early college" stuff, open enrollment, and just changing demographics. The only constant is that Tarboro has always been good.

Reactions: Mavrick69
Let’s go ahead and address the elephant in the room. Murphy has NEVER won a state championship at the 1 AA level. NEVER even played for a State Championship at that level. With their 500+ enrollment, they have no problem beating the Plymouth’s and Jones Counties (both with enrollments of 300+) of the world in the small 1A division.

I rest my case!!!!!
And haysville still sux, ,. Oh was yal butt hurt when Carl imbarassed yal in 86-87

Stanly County has a great early college program. Albemarle has more students there than any of the other three county schools. Students do not count in the ADM and are not allowed to play sports. Choices.

Reactions: mbdfan and sbbbfan
So in a 10 year span, one of the smallest 1AA schools made it either to the 3rd round or to the semifinals in half of those years?

And the Tri County EC is, like so many nontraditional schools, on a trajectory to become the central feature and possibly largest school in Cherokee County within a decade. What a miracle...It’s just like Australia...started as a dumping ground for losers and now look at it shine! Or maybe that’s not how it worked.

Sam has a valid point and one that is worth giving some attention as we come to end of the Gentry era in Murphy. After looking at the information it's pretty clear that without the Early College, Murphy most likely wouldn't have even sniffed a State Title over the past 20 years. No sour grapes here just based on facts. They simply haven't had and still don't have what it takes to win it all against schools their own size or larger than them At the 1AA level. Period.

Well of course a school playing a larger school is always going to be at a disadvantage. And while I hate to say it that’s what makes what Robbinsville has been able to accomplish that much more impressive.

Reactions: Thatoneguy...
Sam has a valid point and one that is worth giving some attention as we come to end of the Gentry era in Murphy. After looking at the information it's pretty clear that without the Early College, Murphy most likely wouldn't have even sniffed a State Title over the past 20 years. No sour grapes here just based on facts. They simply haven't had and still don't have what it takes to win it all against schools their own size or larger than them At the 1AA level. Period.
Lol. In 86-87,. 91-92 there where no small or big played what in front of us,. Your irrelivant

Lol. In 86-87,. 91-92 there where no small or big played what in front of us,. Your irrelivant
Haha mostly small was in front of you back then too! Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the NCHSAA banned Murphy from playing in the 1A playoffs for a few years back then because they were so much bigger than everyone else and has an unfair advantage?!

Haha mostly small was in front of you back then too! Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the NCHSAA banned Murphy from playing in the 1A playoffs for a few years back then because they were so much bigger than everyone else and has an unfair advantage?!
If that's the case small in front being there were no small or big your just irrelevant

we were not too big in 91 or 92 ,it was like 89 when they did the # realignment , and then was enforced 91 ,92

Hahahaha you’re from Hayesville therefore your commentary is irrelevant #bitter

Cdoc.....actually in 91 and 92, Murphy was 2A school playing in 1A conf. You guys petitioned NCHSAA to play down to travel issues from 2A conference in west. Robbinsville won 92' rightfully.
Great post mactaz.. gotta keep these Murphy posters honest as some of them like to skew the facts! cdoc is just a little confused it seems. Mactaz is correct, it was Gentry and the Bulldogs who petitioned the NCHSAA to play against 1A teams when they were in fact a 2A school. NCHSAA said fine but we'll just ban you from the Playoffs. Needless to say I don't think the head ball coach was too happy about their decision lol. Can't make this stuff up folks. Hey... where there's a will there's a way (Petitions, Early College, etc.)!!!

Murphy was allowed to play in the 1A conference although their numbers were just above the cutoff. Murphy was allowed to go to the 1A playoffs every other year during that alignment. It was a sensible move by Murphy and the travel would have been harsh on their student athletes.

I thought Murphy should have been placed in the 2A playoffs based on their finish in the 1A conference or as at large or the last two seed.

Thought it was screwed up for Murphy kids not getting to be in the playoffs and fir their opponents the year they were.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Great post mactaz.. gotta keep these Murphy posters honest as some of them like to skew the facts! cdoc is just a little confused it seems. Mactaz is correct, it was Gentry and the Bulldogs who petitioned the NCHSAA to play against 1A teams when they were in fact a 2A school. NCHSAA said fine but we'll just ban you from the Playoffs. Needless to say I don't think the head ball coach was too happy about their decision lol. Can't make this stuff up folks. Hey... where there's a will there's a way (Petitions, Early College, etc.)!!!

Jea•lous (adj)-feeling or showing evny of someone else’s success.
Ex: “I wish we had as many state titles, conference championships, western regional titles and national recognition as Murphy. My self esteem can’t handle it therefore I’ll cope with lack luster accusations”

Cdoc.....actually in 91 and 92, Murphy was 2A school playing in 1A conf. You guys petitioned NCHSAA to play down to travel issues from 2A conference in west. Robbinsville won 92' rightfully.
Um no we weren't idiot

Murphy was allowed to play in the 1A conference although their numbers were just above the cutoff. Murphy was allowed to go to the 1A playoffs every other year during that alignment. It was a sensible move by Murphy and the travel would have been harsh on their student athletes.

I thought Murphy should have been placed in the 2A playoffs based on their finish in the 1A conference or as at large or the last two seed.

Thought it was screwed up for Murphy kids not getting to be in the playoffs and fir their opponents the year they were.

They could not of been placed as a wildcard. I am 98% sure that at that time the NCHSAA used predetermined brackets.

LMAO!! Just stating the facts. Puppies can’t deal with the facts. Even back in the 80’s (and I didn’t even go there in my original post), they didn’t want to play schools of their size. Petitioned to play down! LMAO!

They are REALLY, REALLY good at beating smaller schools!.

P.S. Next year their starting QB will probably be their current JV QB. He resides in the Andrews district!

Let me be perfectly clear. Murphy has a good football program. Just has a bit of an advantage over most schools. Swain plays where they’re supposed to, 1AA. No whining from them. Robbinsville is a small school, but they play as good as most bigger schools.

Sometimes THE FACTS HURT. Sorry!

Congratulations Cherokee! You are a true 1A team!

LMAO!! Just stating the facts. Puppies can’t deal with the facts. Even back in the 80’s (and I didn’t even go there in my original post), they didn’t want to play schools of their size. Petitioned to play down! LMAO!

They are REALLY, REALLY good at beating smaller schools!.

P.S. Next year their starting QB will probably be their current JV QB. He resides in the Andrews district!

Let me be perfectly clear. Murphy has a good football program. Just has a bit of an advantage over most schools. Swain plays where they’re supposed to, 1AA. No whining from them. Robbinsville is a small school, but they play as good as most bigger schools.

Sometimes THE FACTS HURT. Sorry!

Congratulations Cherokee! You are a true 1A team!
Fact is haysville sux, your right that's a fact

I swear I thought we made it to the 4th round of the 1AA playoffs this year. Seems like we did ok winning up here.... How'd Hayesville do in the 1A?

Reactions: NC nole fan
I swear I thought we made it to the 4th round of the 1AA playoffs this year. Seems like we did ok winning up here.... How'd Hayesville do in the 1A?
I think haysville got smooshed by sum elks in the 1st round

The JV QB lives in the Tomotla/Marble area that's not Andrews' "district" and he will not be the starting QB next year. He is a very good player but will only be a freshman next season, not ready to start on varsity yet.

Murphy is a 1-a team who hides 1-aa numbers. You missed the cut by 1 gentry just didn't expect it. You guys can't win in your true weight class. The best Murphy team in ages doesn't make states. You guys are like a bully how finally got skipped to his right grade. Now your just another kid in class. ???? Do y'all dunk alot or finger the ball? LMAO

Reactions: sway1532
Murphy is a 1-a team who hides 1-aa numbers. You missed the cut by 1 gentry just didn't expect it. You guys can't win in your true weight class. The best Murphy team in ages doesn't make states. You guys are like a bully how finally got skipped to his right grade. Now your just another kid in class. ???? Do y'all dunk alot or finger the ball? LMAO
Haysville sux still sux

Murphy is still, and always will be, a great team/program. Man, all the trolls are coming out from under their bridges in this thread.
I agree Murphy is still a fine team with a good program. Facts are they get most of their wins and notoriety off of beating smaller schools year in and year out. Murphy is mediocre when they play schools their size. Never won a 1AA Championship. Also, they played 1 school that was their size or bigger this year in the SMC and took a "L". The evidence is overwhelming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT