ADVERTISEMENT

1A Murphy boys coach

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
All I can say is wow if it's true. Everyone knows I never thought Payne got enough out of the talent he had at Murphy and that was proven when Murphy was beyond awful when they finally went through some lean years talent wise, but I'd take David in a heartbeat over this absolutely head scratching hire. There's literally over twenty people in this county alone more qualified for the job than the choice that was apparently made.

With the young returning talent and kids coming up I was expecting a pretty solid season from the Murphy boys this year, but with this hiring decision look for the once proud Murphy boy's basketball program to continue on a downward slide for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
All I can say is wow if it's true. Everyone knows I never thought Payne got enough out of the talent he had at Murphy and that was proven when Murphy was beyond awful when they finally went through some lean years talent wise, but I'd take David in a heartbeat over this absolutely head scratching hire. There's literally over twenty people in this county alone more qualified for the job than the choice that was apparently made.

With the young returning talent and kids coming up I was expecting a pretty solid season from the Murphy boys this year, but with this hiring decision look for the once proud Murphy boy's basketball program to continue on a downward slide for the foreseeable future.

who was hired?

I wasn't aware of the hire until this morning, but I have to say, I could not disagree with you more mbdfan. Eric Laney is one of the best "coaches" I've had an opportunity to be around. He is meticulous and disciplined. Maybe he doesn't have the resume that some would want, but if you're active in the Murphy community, you should know some of his credentials. Owns the CrossFit gym and is as good as they come in strength and conditioning. Former D-1 athlete. Coached middle school basketball for years and his team's were the most well prepared you'd see ... I coached AGAINST home, I should know. Coached every rec. league sport there is. Most importantly, the kids respect him. I would bet all of my earthly belongings that he'll be successful.

I wasn't aware of the hire until this morning, but I have to say, I could not disagree with you more mbdfan. Eric Laney is one of the best "coaches" I've had an opportunity to be around. He is meticulous and disciplined. Maybe he doesn't have the resume that some would want, but if you're active in the Murphy community, you should know some of his credentials. Owns the CrossFit gym and is as good as they come in strength and conditioning. Former D-1 athlete. Coached middle school basketball for years and his team's were the most well prepared you'd see ... I coached AGAINST home, I should know. Coached every rec. league sport there is. Most importantly, the kids respect him. I would bet all of my earthly belongings that he'll be successful.
Hey I definitely hope I'm wrong, I would like nothing more than for him to be a huge success. Eric is a really good guy and I'm very familiar with his former athletic exploits, as well as his past as Murphy Middle basketball coach. I just feel there were more qualified people available, based on credentials, both within the county and out.

Murphy should be in a position where they can hire coaches who have a track record of success at the varsity level. Obviously it was a bit of hyperbole for me to say there were 20 people more qualified in the county than him but there are multiple people who have never coached varsity basketball in this county that I would've been more comfortable with, let alone any potential out of county candidates.

I wasn't a part of the hiring process but I have serious doubts that this job was advertised in any meaningful way, did they even interview anyone else? Unless the job was advertised appropriately and multiple candidates were interviewed, I view that as a disservice to Murphy athletics. I will maintain that regardless of whether Laney is ultimately successful or not.

They had the same for boys and girls last year, but I think the plan was always for him to eventually focus on one, and hire another coach at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT