ADVERTISEMENT

MT Airy scary good team.

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Just like East Surry team from 2019. And the Tarboro teams from 2017, 2018, 2019. I believe rest of the MT Airy games will be run the clock until it gets deep in the playoffs. MT Airy has scored 206 points and only giving up 6 in first 4 games.

Last edited:
Let’s calm down a bit with all that. They are really good , talent and size everywhere but right now there biggest enemy is the schedule. Not wishing anyone any bad luck but this bears team needs to be tested a couple times before the playoffs . A lot of talent in the pipeline over there so they are gonna be real good for a few years. Butttt if they don’t get a test or two this season could mimick 2007 when Swain county came to town. Need to see how they respond when they get hit in the mouth a couple times. But that defense is dirty and the lines are huge , the backfield outstanding, receivers are big and run laser like routes . Qb is only a sophomore but commands the offense like a 5th year senior. Bears need a test, that’s what they need more than anything

Last night against 3A Ashe County I believe my numbers are correct: scored on every 1st half possession as follows: 4 plays, 5 plays, punt return, 3 plays, 4 plays, 1 play and pick 6 on Ashes first play of that possession. Made the score 48 to 0 with 4:38 left in half. OMG

Reactions: sbbbfan
You might say they just beat up on Ashe but this has been the case in all four games. At some point you have to ask: How good are they?

What type of offense does MA run with the new coach? Are they still a spread team?

I definitely think MA is talented and have the potential to go very deep in the playoffs. The only thing that scares me is their schedule. They have absolutely dominated….but the combined record of their opponents is 2-8. Looking at the remaining schedule, they will face no adversity in the regular season. How will they respond when they face another stud team in the playoffs? One thing is for sure though, they are definitely talented enough to win the west and compete for a title.

Reactions: gdawg74
Let’s calm down a bit with all that. They are really good , talent and size everywhere but right now there biggest enemy is the schedule. Not wishing anyone any bad luck but this bears team needs to be tested a couple times before the playoffs . A lot of talent in the pipeline over there so they are gonna be real good for a few years. Butttt if they don’t get a test or two this season could mimick 2007 when Swain county came to town. Need to see how they respond when they get hit in the mouth a couple times. But that defense is dirty and the lines are huge , the backfield outstanding, receivers are big and run laser like routes . Qb is only a sophomore but commands the offense like a 5th year senior. Bears need a test, that’s what they need more than anything
I agree with you gdawg I wish we had kept Canton Pisgah on the schedule that would have been good test coming out of the Mtns we need to play some solid teams early to prepare for the playoffs

Great post Northwest, I couldn’t agree with this post more. They desperately need to get a Covid game with a stiff opponent. Of coarse not wishing any bad luck on anyone. After seeing the 2019 cards at reidsville you knew how special they were . The 2009 Bears after knocking off Tville. That team lost to WRH in the ship but what a fun ride thru playoffs they took us on ! Those last two games in 2009 were two of the best high school football games I ever watched. Don’t get me wrong this Bears team has all the pieces and they do look scary good but they sure do need to be tested before that brutal western playoff gauntlet starts

Before I read the last several post I was sitting thinking the real question is: how does MA respond when they are punched in the mouth? I agree with the others that are saying they (the team) need to be tested. I will add ...and so do the Coaches! I say that with it clearly being known that I think this group of Coaches are top notch and I think doing a great job.
How many other Head Coaches would have asked, and then make it work, bringing the former Hall of Fame Coach back to join the staff?

Reactions: sbbbfan
non conference games are done for Bears so it’s NW 1A from here on….can’t add teams outside league…can only play 10 games…

There is absolutely zero proof that a great team needs to be tested before the playoffs start or to even loose a game,there have been plenty of teams over the years that just destroyed everyone they played,even playing a weak regular season schedule….The great Albemarle teams are the first to come to mind,they always played a weak schedule during the regular season but kept blowing out playoff teams all the way through to a state championship,all that kind of talk is just sports cliche talk

So bareman what you are saying is for if per say elkin comes down with Covid that the bears can’t schedule a game with another team with similar issues ?

Just had to jump in long enough to say this...
MA 2008 State Championship had just as weak a schedule and blew out every team they played including the 5 playoff teams and going on to scoring 845 points and only 94 against them in 16 games. They had the 3rd highest points scored ever and the least in the same single season which included all teams 1A thru 4A. Just thought I would add that. Basically, the teams from 2008 played were mostly the same and no tougher for the Bears as this year. So they were not tested in 2008 and all they have to do this year is play their game the way they are playing and they will still improve every week.

This was their schedule for the 2008 team.

Last edited:
MA 2008 State Championship had just as weak a schedule and blew out every team they played including the 5 playoff teams and going on to scoring 845 points and only 94 against them in 16 games. They had the 3rd highest points scored and the least in a single season which included all teams 1A thru 4A. Just thought I would add that. So they were not tested in 2008 and all they have to do this year is play their game the way they are playing and they will still improve every week.

Great Point.

There is absolutely zero proof that a great team needs to be tested before the playoffs start or to even loose a game,there have been plenty of teams over the years that just destroyed everyone they played,even playing a weak regular season schedule….The great Albemarle teams are the first to come to mind,they always played a weak schedule during the regular season but kept blowing out playoff teams all the way through to a state championship,all that kind of talk is

If MT Airy and Reidsville would have kept playing each other. That would be awesome game to watch. And speaking of powerful 2A Reidsville. They use to play a weak regular season schedule back in the late 2000s and 2016 to 2018 and still kick everybody butt when it came playoff time and win a State Title.

MA 2008 State Championship had just as weak a schedule and blew out every team they played including the 5 playoff teams and going on to scoring 845 points and only 94 against them in 16 games. They had the 3rd highest points scored ever and the least in a single season which included all teams 1A thru 4A. Just thought I would add that. Basically the teams from 2008 played were mostly the same and no tougher for the Bears as this year. So they were not tested in 2008 and all they have to do this year is play their game the way they are playing and they will still improve every week.

I would like to have see Thomasville and MT Airy play that year. Both programs were 16-0 that year.

Reactions: BigDawgFan16
This year won’t have to worry about sub divisions . Only one champ per classification. Some one correct me if I’m wrong. 2008 bears were good , but that 2009 team was the team to watch. Luke wheeler is still one the best high school football players I ever seen play. Those last two games of 2009 were classic

Reactions: Bearfan71
From an outsider's perspective I'd say the 2008 team that had Dobson was the better team to watch. I remember they used to have highlights of the state championship game on youtube and he was running wild. The 2009 team could've and a lot of people would argue probably should've lost to Robbinsville.

Reactions: BK13T-$
From an outsider's perspective I'd say the 2008 team that had Dobson was the better team to watch. I remember they used to have highlights of the state championship game on youtube and he was running wild. The 2009 team could've and a lot of people would argue probably should've lost to Robbinsville.
I thought we would the first half and in the third qauter it seem something just click with that team and they came to life never will forget that hail Mary pass in the corner of the right endzone to give Mt Airy the win that was one of the best high school games I ever witnessed

Reactions: sbbbfan and gdawg74
I've heard y'all were very good, but that's an awfully bold statement. You might be correct, but if not that's gonna be some hard crow to eat later this season
Not a "Yall" statement. I base my statements on my own assessment of teams. I've seen MA twice, Mitchell twice and Murphy and Andrews once....From my assessment, NO team you mentioned from the mountains will come close to MA. That said, I do wish MA would go play some 3A/4A really good teams so they could challenge themselves for later. A good loss, in my opinion, is better than a 50-60 pt win vs a bad team. Good luck to all and we will see when the playoffs start.

Reactions: buzzcoach
.Teams like Salisbury, Shelby, and Hibriten would be great out of conference challengers for this years MA squad... MA is good...but youre right..Covid and a weak non conference schedule doesn't help. MA is definitely the class of the NWC.and pretty much the 1a West outside Thomasville and Eastern Randolph....but styles make fights..you never know who you will beat and by how much..come play off time. They kind of remind of Albemarle in early 2000's.

Reactions: thekidd12
I was at that game also. Robbinsville running back was tough as nails. It's in my top five in good games with Reidsville East Surry being #1
Kurt Odom was a very good back, he went on to play RB at Campbell. He had it all, real good size (6'1 195 lbs in high school) and speed (11.6 in the 100 meter in high school) and like you said tough.

Robbinsville has a 10th grade RB that has every chance to be as good or maybe even better than him by the name of Cuttler Adams. He's not quite as big as Odom yet (6'0 180 lbs) but he is going to be faster (ran a 11.7 in the 100 this spring, which is an elite time for a freshman) and is very strong for his size, kid lives in the weight room.

Based on how good Robbinsville's and Mount Airy's 10th grade classes are I'm expecting these two teams to have another western finals rematch in 2023.

Reidsville seems to never have a problem with it but their staff has been there so many times. Mt Airy has a good staff but not proven in championship games or regionals.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT