ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain Valley Conference Prediction?

If there is a season, I’d imagine Ashe and Elkin are the front runners. There’s some new coaches in Wilkes County at North and West. Will be interesting to see how they perform.

I think 4-6 could go either way. West hired a solid coach. East is going to be young but with talent that will only get better. Starmount will have some decent athletes to compete.

Reactions: Illuminati704
Maybe Starmount will put their best players where they need to be. If they keep playing daddy ball, then expect more of the same in Boonville.

Morrison from central will win some games on his own. Not sure Central has anything other than him. Unfortunate because that kid is a stud and could use some help.
I will agree, Morrison is a stud, hands down will be the best player in the conference this year. They will have some unproven guys around him, that have the ability to make some plays. It will all depends on how they are upfront, can those guys stay healthy this year and keep a consistent unit out there, time will tell. WC will have the ability to make some noise this year or Just as easily win 4 games. As for everyone else I have Elkin on top then Ashe and everyone else. Think the Elks could be in for something special this year.

I will agree, Morrison is a stud, hands down will be the best player in the conference this year. They will have some unproven guys around him, that have the ability to make some plays. It will all depends on how they are upfront, can those guys stay healthy this year and keep a consistent unit out there, time will tell. WC will have the ability to make some noise this year or Just as easily win 4 games. As for everyone else I have Elkin on top then Ashe and everyone else. Think the Elks could be in for something special this year.

I hope so. Parity will make this conference better. WC has as little depth as any other team I seen last year, and outside of Morrison and that QB, nothing really else on offense. I believe the QB was a senior so it will be interesting to see how the replace his production, as he was a beast on defense as well.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I hope so. Parity will make this conference better. WC has as little depth as any other team I seen last year, and outside of Morrison and that QB, nothing really else on offense. I believe the QB was a senior so it will be interesting to see how the replace his production, as he was a beast on defense as well.
pretty spot on, I believe they with either go with Reyes-Martin or a sophomore at QB, if they put the Reyes kid back there it will take away a potential playmaker on the outside, but you have to have someone to make the offense go, and atleast hand the ball to joray. The loss of Pack will probably be felt more on the defensive side of the ball with I’m not really sure what they replace him with. Numbers really hurt them last year for sure and probably will again this year. I don’t think that will get fixed for another year, supposedly they have over 30 Freshman that will come out this year, but they won’t make an impact for another year or 2, middle of the pack teams in the conference will be all jumbled.

Reactions: Illuminati704
What has happen to Starmount? Whst is the story? They just don't seem the athletes like they use to. Can someone give me info on Starmount Middle School or the midget League football. What is the future like for Starmount. I sure miss the good team Starmount use to have.

I think the area that used to feed Starmount the bulk of their athletes is just aging and people are moving out of the area.

I started seeing a change when the middle school was built to combine the 7th and 8th graders from the 3 feeder programs.

With 3 programs, you had more kids active and willing to participate. For example, when they got to Starmount; there were like 3 to 5 kids that play QB and maybe 10 running backs and 15 to 20 linemen, etc. Now the kids might not play because of not getting that opportunity to play therefore effecting the numbers greatly.

Starmount had at least 40 players strong each on Varsity and JV in the past. Now they are lucky to get 50 in the program totally now.

There may be other reasons like soccer growing in the area and parents wanting specialization of sports even though most college coaches love multi-sport kids.

I started seeing a change when the middle school was built to combine the 7th and 8th graders from the 3 feeder programs.

With 3 programs, you had more kids active and willing to participate. For example, when they got to Starmount; there were like 3 to 5 kids that play QB and maybe 10 running backs and 15 to 20 linemen, etc. Now the kids might not play because of not getting that opportunity to play therefore effecting the numbers greatly.

Starmount had at least 40 players strong each on Varsity and JV in the past. Now they are lucky to get 50 in the program totally now.

There may be other reasons like soccer growing in the area and parents wanting specialization of sports even though most college coaches love multi-sport kids.

Yes another reason that I've thought about. It does seem that it has been a big difference. No competition coming in. Don't have to work as hard.

I think the same thing happened to basketball in Wilkes County. Most notably at East Wilkes.

Different kids, different weightlifting, different coaches, different feeder program, different administration. Same address.

Im going to go Elkin 1 and Ashe 2. Elkin should have beaten Ashe last year if it was not for a fumble in the end zone they would have. id lean WC 3 just because JoRaye is a BEAST and then after WC at 3 flip a coin man its anybodys spot to have. EW and WW will be very interesting to watch this year but NW may be a true building year in year 1.

I'll have my prediction up for this conferences and the other 2 conferences in a week or so.. not bad ideas so far from everyone..

I find one of the top teams overrated; another one could be solid if they stay healthy. Starmount in my opinion's gonna be the X factor of the conference.. they were really good on JV in 2018 and those freshman will be juniors. If they stay healthy and come together they will be very solid. They looked excellent on the film i've seen of them. About time for Starmount to have a nice little run. They could be a team that upsets everyone if the cards play right; either that or they could have omlet on their faces as well.

Only team I don't think will amount to much will be North Wilkes.. there was a reason beyond the pay Chipman left. The younger next two classes just weren't very good; they couldn't beat North Stokes on JV two years ago. New guy has a mountain on him; if they win more than 2-3 games he should win Coach of the Year by default.

Only team I don't think will amount to much will be North Wilkes.. there was a reason beyond the pay Chipman left. The younger next two classes just weren't very good; they couldn't beat North Stokes on JV two years ago. New guy has a mountain on him; if they win more than 2-3 games he should win Coach of the Year by default.

I'll tell you this, David Wojtecki will be a great fit at North Wilkes. His success speaks for itself at Greenville Rose, but he will fit in much better with the kinds of kids in Wilkes County. He looks like a mountain man, and he hails from the mountains of Western PA, so I think he'll do great.

Now in terms of talent, I know they lost some so he'll have to get the team stronger, but I have no doubt that they'll be coached-up.

Starmount lost most of their offensive firepower...the all-time leading passer and receiver in the school history plus another 1,000-yard receiver.

I see them being around .500 mark

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
They also lost the all time leading interception thrower...

I doubt they get much worse on offense. Most of the numbers put up by the qb and receivers were due to volume of pass plays, not irreplaceable talent.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT