ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain Teams

wncfootballjunkie5870

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2014
If you were to load a team of the best players in WNC and the best players in the Eastern parts and have a game, the team from the West would punish the team from the East. Eastern teams have speed I'll give you that, but in the weightroom those western boys know how to it it. By the time the 4th quarter would come around the East team would be tired and pissed by being hit in the face every single play, hitting those big linemen and big backs up there in the mountains would be too much for the East

Boys in the mountains have more of a chip on their shoulder and are more blue collared, although they have some of the speed eastern teams have they make up for it by being very physical and play very consistent football

Originally posted by wncfootballjunkie5870:
If you were to load a team of the best players in WNC and the best players in the Eastern parts and have a game, the team from the West would punish the team from the East. Eastern teams have speed I'll give you that, but in the weightroom those western boys know how to it it. By the time the 4th quarter would come around the East team would be tired and pissed by being hit in the face every single play, hitting those big linemen and big backs up there in the mountains would be too much for the East
roll.r191677.gif
unless you brought those Asheville teams speed with you it would get ugly quick for you sister lovin troglodytes

wnc

Boys in the mountains have more of a chip on their shoulder and are more blue collared.

My guess is that the boys east of the mountains have the same qualities. Location does not determine these qualities.

I am from the mountains and I will tell you why. They are better. Let's do a test. Go back through Rivals.com recruiting for NC the last 10 years and see how many 4 and 5 star players are from the mountains and are going D1. Do the same for Morganton East across the State and let me know what you come up with.

If it wasn't for Murphy winning championships every year in 1A, we wouldn't sniff one outside of Asheville.
This post was edited on 11/23 9:42 PM by bamatide13

Originally posted by wncfootballjunkie5870:
Might be the worst troll job I have ever seen! This thread should be locked or deleated by a Mod.

Having coached in the East, West, City (Charlotte), and middle of the state: This dude is crazy! Speed wins over strength everyday! There are some great teams in the mountains and they will compete, but if you have a team with Speed and Strength they will win. Can't wait to see the match up this Friday of Franklin and Monroe. That will be a classic mountain vs. City contest!

I don't think there is anyway an All-WNC team could beat an all-rest of the state team.... but it would be interesting to see if there was a Buncombe County High School or an open enrollment deal in the Asheville area just to see how they would compete with the big boys down in charlotte.

HAHA someones been in pop corns suttens jar .....I have seen both sets of athletes and to even describe the mountain boys as athletes would be considered an oxymoron. They may put together a competitive team here and there but anything west of Ashville doesn't stand a chance. They make it to the 2nd round sometimes the 3rd year in year out but thats because of the high seed they get. When better teams see them there really isnt much of a comparison. sorry!

I don't think our teams here in the mountains can compete year in and year out with the NUMBERS or the SPEED down state. Now for athletes there are plenty of them in the mountains. You don't have to be 4.2 40 to be an athlete. If all you have is speed and you call them an athlete, that's the same category as a cheerleader. one diminsional

Speed is only one trait of many when you describe an athlete. We have had lots of speed here but when you take a track kid and ask him to play football it doesn't always work out. I have seen a lot of our track stars and basketball players lay down when the hit was coming. And they will not stand in the hole and make a tackle which makes them too timid to really call themselves football athletes. Track athletes, yes. There is a difference.

I don't know if an all WNC team could beat an all ENC team but if you were to do it you would have to make it fair. I think if you had to choose 10 players from the best 1A program in WNC, 10 from the best 2A, 3A and 4A programs and take those 40 guys against 10 guys from the best 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A programs from ENC they would beat us. Because think about the WNC mountains, there aren't any good 4A programs in football where you could take 10 elite players to add to the team. Whereas the eastern north Carolina teams would find 10 awesome football players that were probably all D1 athletes.
10376326_816480491728229_2825897210379270988_n.jpg

Originally posted by AhsCougar1:

I don't know if an all WNC team could beat an all ENC team but if you were to do it you would have to make it fair. I think if you had to choose 10 players from the best 1A program in WNC, 10 from the best 2A, 3A and 4A programs and take those 40 guys against 10 guys from the best 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A programs from ENC they would beat us. Because think about the WNC mountains, there aren't any good 4A programs in football where you could take 10 elite players to add to the team. Whereas the eastern north Carolina teams would find 10 awesome football players that were probably all D1 athletes.
That in no way would be fair simply because WNC only holds about 8 percent of all high schools in NC. ENC is a much larger region altogether with a much larger pool to choose from altogether. However, I do think that if you could pool Buncombe County alone, they could dang near play with any region in the state. Could you imagine putting a team together solely made up of players from Asheville, Reynolds, Erwin, Owen and Roberson? I would take them to play at any county team anyone could put together.

Originally posted by Thunder.Head:

Originally posted by AhsCougar1:

That in no way would be fair simply because WNC only holds about 8 percent of all high schools in NC. ENC is a much larger region altogether with a much larger pool to choose from altogether. However, I do think that if you could pool Buncombe County alone, they could dang near play with any region in the state. Could you imagine putting a team together solely made up of players from Asheville, Reynolds, Erwin, Owen and Roberson? I would take them to play at any county team anyone could put together.
That team would be flat out nasty! Jones, Dowdle, Logan, Battle, Ray, Gardner. All freak athletes! I'd like to see someone post an All-Buncombe county team just for poops and giggles. Would be an incredible roster to say the least.

An all buncombe county team would be pretty nasty, as would a all Cleveland county or all Mecklenburg county team.

Off the subject slightly but I have a friend whose kids go to Eden Pairie High School in Minnesota. He says there is but one high school in the city with over 3000 students. I looked them up since his son plays and they have 91 juniors and seniors on the team and JV is junior and sophomores. They are 6A. Making the starting lineup would be dificult not unlike Mallard Creek, Butler, or Enloe.

My point is a school this size would have as many kids as a small 1A conference. total. Really its relative to the number of kids you get to pick from. When it comes down to it only two kids are going to tote the rock, a few DBs, a couple receivers, and the rest don't need to speedsters. Just quick enough and strong enough to overcome the opponent. Speed is a game changer but how many speedsters do you need when the blocking is textbook? Not many.

Not many so called "athlete teams" ever beat Charlotte Catholic or some of the smart schools. The kids are tough and intelligent. No way I put a speedster on a team to play defense or QB who can't spell cat.

The truth has been spoken, I'm not gonna lie speed is a major aspect in the game of football, but once again I'd rather have a very consistent team that is about average speed and incredibly strong, than a team with multiple 4.2 guys that has better days then others. It would be kind of hard for a kid with a 4.2 run very far whenever they have a well built physical defense hitting them every play

Godevilsgo. Nobody is even implying that just because a kid has speed he will be a good FB player. The fact is however that if you have a FB player who is also a track star then he is better than someone else at his position but is much slower. I don't see the comparison between track athletes, basketball athletes and FB athletes. Most of the track and basketball players who also play FB have been doing so since MS and earlier. It's not as if all of a sudden a track or basketball player comes out for FB and all of a sudden becomes a star FB player. I will tell you that I have talked track and basketball player in to coming out and giving FB a try and the greater majority of them excelled. Much more so that ones who decided it was not for them. I have yet to have a track sprinter put a FB uniform on and all of a sudden his 40 speed went from 4.4 to 5.0 because he was scared or weak. How many kids have you seen starting who was not qualified to be there? All of this putting the speed guys down because they are fast is ridiculous. This sounds like someone whose team is big and slow and they are bad mouthing speed because theyu have none.

Not many so called "athlete teams" ever beat Charlotte
Catholic or some of the smart schools. The kids are tough and
intelligent. No way I put a speedster on a team to play defense or QB
who can't spell cat.

There you go again. Why would anyone not put a kid on a team just because he has speed. You are going to punish him just because he has speed. Thank goodness the colleges do not share your thought process. What does a kids academic ability have to do with anything. This entire sentence is ridiculous.

The truth has been spoken, I'm not gonna lie speed is a major aspect in
the game of football, but once again I'd rather have a very consistent
team that is about average speed and incredibly strong, than a team with
multiple 4.2 guys that has better days then others. It would be kind of
hard for a kid with a 4.2 run very far whenever they have a well built
physical defense hitting them every play.

You guys are ridiculous. How many mountain teams beat Asheville HS each season? The answer is ) and there is a reason for that. It is called bigger, faster and stronger with an emphasis on FASTER. You can't hit what you can't catch. Do you honestly think the faster kids are all small and weak? This discussion is getting to the point of be ridiculous.

I never said speed isn't a major poin in football, I'm saying it isn't the only thing that matters in football, I understand where you're coming from RamFan but I'm trying to encourage teams from the mountains to go play the Crests, the Shelby's, the speedy teams so around playoff times it won't be a huge surprise in speed, also I do think kids in the mountains hit the weightroom more than kids in the east, I mean Walker Lanning kid from Christ School broke the shrine bowl bench record reps, I'm not sure how many he got

You can not teach blazing speed. You can make the speedster stronger. Weight lifting has advance for all sports to a much higher level than ever before.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
Biltmore. Do you not think the boys from the east lift weights, etc. as well.
Not really sure how you came up with this?, of course I do. My post was about a op with 2 posts starting a thread that was almost sure to cause a flame war to erupt.

Biltmore. Do you not think the boys from the east lift weights, etc. as well.
Strength can be built but I do think that on the average, and for the sizes of the schools, Mountain teams are bigger than their eastern counterparts, ableit slower as well.

You can not teach blazing speed. You can make the
speedster stronger. Weight lifting has advance for all sports to a much
higher level than ever before.

True but making a kid stronger along with improving his running technique will make him faster. Plus the fact that there are speed improvement drills using equipment that will enhance his speed as well. Being fast and being able to pull through tackles is a great advantage.

but I'm trying to encourage teams from the mountains to
go play the Crests, the Shelby's, the speedy teams so around playoff
times it won't be a huge surprise in speed.

I will agree with you on that point. If I was a top mountain team I would want to Asheville, Crest and Shelby every year.

Long way for some of the lower level teams to travel to play good teams of equal enrollment.

This post was edited on 11/26 12:16 AM by pudge1963

You guys are ridiculous. How many mountain teams beat Asheville HS each season? The answer is ) and there is a reason for that. It is called bigger, faster and stronger with an emphasis on FASTER. You can't hit what you can't catch. Do you honestly think the faster kids are all small and weak? This discussion is getting to the point of be ridiculous.
Actually, Asheville while having a very athletic team is more built on strength and size. The difference is they have numerous speedsters running out of the backfield behind their lines. If Asheville ran the same offense Erwin does they would be down right nasty. I don't think any team from the mountains wants Asheville to transition to a more "wide-open offense". That would be bad news. But hey, if it ain't broke..

Originally posted by Illuminati704:

Actually, Asheville while having a very athletic team is more built on strength and size. The difference is they have numerous speedsters running out of the backfield behind their lines. If Asheville ran the same offense Erwin does they would be down right nasty. I don't think any team from the mountains wants Asheville to transition to a more "wide-open offense". That would be bad news. But hey, if it ain't broke..
You hit it on the head. Asheville didn't win because Asheville outran every team, Asheville won because they have a huge line and rushed for 400 yards a game. It's the same recipe that SMC teams have used year in and year out in the 1A classification.

Said what myself? Asheville has speedster and other mountain teams have big bruising backs. Where did I say that was better or worse? I didn't. Good try RamsFan but your lack of reading comprehension did you in.

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. Your memory seems to have failed you because this entire thread has been about speed vs size. My point was that you are agreeing that speed is more important than many of your fellow mountain fans think it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT