Jun 5, 2023
1. West Hendo
2. Pisgah
3. Tuscola
4. Smoky Mountain
5. Franklin
6. North Hendo
7. East Hendo

Didn't Tuscola beat Pisgah last year but only won like 5 games?

Last edited:
1. West Hendo
2. Pisgah
3. Tuscola
4. Smoky Mountain
5. Franklin
6. North Hendo
7. East Hendo
I agree with that .Until someone beats West they are number one. Franklin may do better than some think. East could win more than one game this year. Bears finally get Tuscola at home .Understand they are shooting for a 50,000 half and half .

To far removed to know anything about Franklin but….its the last year of the “Pit” as we know it. Complete rebuild including a turf field (welp!) starts in November. Truly a sad time for us old timers!!!

To far removed to know anything about Franklin but….its the last year of the “Pit” as we know it. Complete rebuild including a turf field (welp!) starts in November. Truly a sad time for us old timers!!!
With all Pisgah has been through field-wise I can certainly sympathize, but is it true the field was built over a creek and sometime water seeps up? I think former Coach Chappell said that.

With all Pisgah has been through field-wise I can certainly sympathize, but is it true the field was built over a creek and sometime water seeps up? I think former Coach Chappell said that.
It's less about water seeping up and more about a drainage issue. It's on a creek in a bowl so the water doesn't have anywhere to go quickly. Originally the new field was going to be raised about four or five feet but that got scrapped because (I believe) they are using that fill dirt elsewhere on site.

The field will be the first part of an entirely new high school building on the current site. This has been a long time coming, and will take a couple school years to complete.

As far as Franklin's chances this year, they are certainly only getting older. We have been playing a lot of young kids this past year or so and most of them should be coming back. I'm certainly not predicting a conference championship but I do think we will win a few games.

I'm gonna miss that Bermuda. I wonder what I would be prosecuted for if I tried to take home a chunk of it.
Serious question here (Although I didn't say it wasn't crazy): Would the school do a fundraiser where 1 x 1 foot sections of the field are sold as a fundraiser/ memento of the old field? It could be replanted in a yard or flower bed and it could live on, maybe. Ok, you can laugh now.

Serious question here (Although I didn't say it wasn't crazy): Would the school do a fundraiser where 1 x 1 foot sections of the field are sold as a fundraiser/ memento of the old field? It could be replanted in a yard or flower bed and it could live on, maybe. Ok, you can laugh now.
It’s definitely been done before especially at the college level. If they could make the removal process cost effective to do as a fund raiser it could be a neat event.

I knew a guy whose backyard ( not enormous but pretty good size) was all turf that had been removed from the Gamecocks, William-Brice Stadium. Man, he was proud of it too! You didn’t go to his house without knowing where that grass came from. 🤣

Flip Smoky and Franklin and Id agree. Dont think Smoky has much this year. I have a brother that plays for them and just dont see them being very competitive with some of the better teams. However, I do believe that their new coach will have them competing at the top 3 of the conference regularly if they will be patient with him and let him run the program how he wants to.

I think that’s a pretty cool idea! Wish we would have thought about that on our old field.

Saw in the paper where Pisgah is down 1 or 2 of their best players. How long are they out for?

We had 3 defensive starters and our kicker out for the Brevard game. CB is out for the year and hoping to make it back for basketball, safety is out 6-8 weeks, and the LB that is out is expected to return within weeks. CB and safety were two of our more explosive players on either side of the ball.

• Sad
Reactions: beamer24
We had 3 defensive starters and our kicker out for the Brevard game. CB is out for the year and hoping to make it back for basketball, safety is out 6-8 weeks, and the LB that is out is expected to return within weeks. CB and safety were two of our more explosive players on either side of the ball.
That is a tough way to start for the new coach.

Reactions: beamer24
For sure and against a Brevard team that was already going to be tough for us to deal with, it made it even tougher.

I think Brevard will be at, or above, where we saw West Henderson the last two years, just more spread out talent overall rather than one “head and shoulders above” star.

Smoky may be in for a tough season, the fact that the Cherokee game was competitive does not bode well for them whatsoever.

For sure and against a Brevard team that was already going to be tough for us to deal with, it made it even tougher.

I think Brevard will be at, or above, where we saw West Henderson the last two years, just more spread out talent overall rather than one “head and shoulders above” star.
Sorry Domer, but I am going to have to disagree. West had plenty of athletes during that run, a QB who is currently playing D1 football, a WR who signed to play D2, a DE (who is now playing at Christ School) with offers from App State and more, another QB and TE who will likely play college ball somewhere and a plethora of others. Truitt Manuel was one of the best 3-sport athletes ever to come out of WNC and I think that is skewing your perception of how good everyone else around him was. Brevard is no doubt a good team this year but I saw nothing in the scrimmage against them that made me believe they were as good and especially not better than the West teams of the last 2 years.

Reactions: blackbearsfaithful
Sorry Domer, but I am going to have to disagree. West had plenty of athletes during that run, a QB who is currently playing D1 football, a WR who signed to play D2, a DE (who is now playing at Christ School) with offers from App State and more, another QB and TE who will likely play college ball somewhere and a plethora of others. Truitt Manuel was one of the best 3-sport athletes ever to come out of WNC and I think that is skewing your perception of how good everyone else around him was. Brevard is no doubt a good team this year but I saw nothing in the scrimmage against them that made me believe they were as good and especially not better than the West teams of the last 2 years.
We shall see. This weekend will give us more insight into who Brevard is, win or lose. No, I know West had a ton of talent the last two years and I may have worded it wrong with "head and shoulders above star" and should have said with one player that can impact the game in so many areas. West was a very complete team. I saw several West games over the last few years and saw at times where Truitt put the team on his back in a game, if needed, in everything including punting and I don't see that type of "do it all" player on this Brevard team. That's more what I meant as the difference. Brevard has a smothering D similar to how West was built only theirs is built around the line where West was flying LBs and safeties. This was evident in our 1 first down, 20ish yards total offense that we had for the game against Brevard.

My early season prognostication on Brevard may be off and they may have just played out of their minds against us, or we may be really, really bad but I think Brevard will prove to be a tough out this year and we'll be average to slightly above just not explosive.

I saw several West games over the last few years and saw at times where Truitt put the team on his back in a game, if needed, in everything including punting and I don't see that type of "do it all" player on this Brevard team.
I agree. I think that's more of a testament to the type of player Truitt Manuel was rather than the type of players others aren't. He would be the same type of player on this Brevard team in my opinion. He embodies why West has been so special and why he was Shrine Bowl, All-State, All-Conference, All-Everything in a sport that wasn't even his primary sport.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT