ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Tabor 20 North Davidson 16

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
That was a great game... we came up on the short end because of turnovers. Boyce ran like a man possessed, I loved it. Defense looked far and away better than last year, so that's a positive. Can't throw picks and lay the ball on the ground, though.

Overall I was pleased, in spite of losing. Looking forward to next week and the dying rivalry that is Davie County. Let's make some War Chicken Stew! Yum! :D

I agree about the turnovers, the INT to start the 3rd quarter was a killer for ND. No mention of the absolute travesty at the end of the game? That was a disgrace to football officials across this state.

Wasn't able to make the game, I plan on being there next week. Have heard some rumblings about the helmet coming off/"fumble" deal near the end. How are we looking for the season? Seems the defense has shored up on the rush somewhat. Figuring Tabor's defense was stout also. How was the offensive chemistry?, have heard the o-line is good. Any replies are appreciated.

The defense was fantastic! You could tell there is a vast improvement in that area. Offensively, it was the first game so you know how that goes. However, you could start seeing it gel more as the game went on and that is what you want to see. Tabors defense was good, but T.J. Boyce was carving them up. Too bad one official decided he was above the game.

Reactions: bkknights93
I didn't want to blame the officials... They made questionable calls but human error is part of the game. That said, the end was an ugly one. TJ is going to have one heck of a year, that is for sure. QB play wasn't horrible but leaves something to be desired. The linebacker never bit on the interception, that was a bad read. Offensive line play was good, we can improve but I'm not worried, this group looks good for a first game. Defense was off the charts compared to last year. I can see a good season, heard some people saying Tabor would smoke us by 30 they would be so good...

I didn't want to blame the officials... They made questionable calls but human error is part of the game. That said, the end was an ugly one. TJ is going to have one heck of a year, that is for sure. QB play wasn't horrible but leaves something to be desired. The linebacker never bit on the interception, that was a bad read. Offensive line play was good, we can improve but I'm not worried, this group looks good for a first game. Defense was off the charts compared to last year. I can see a good season, heard some people saying Tabor would smoke us by 30 they would be so good...
1. The defense is much in improved. Two of the touchdowns they allowed were on very short fields one because of long punt return and another the pick at the beginning of the 2nd half.
2. TJ run like a man and shoed heart
3. QB showed guts after being cut and stitched up
4. Long snapper needs some work
5. We use TO's horribly 2 trying to draw Defense offside on 4th down and one with our D had too many on field.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I think we will know an awful lot more about our team after tonight. The game does not make or break the season, but 1-1 with your two "likely toughest" games is better than 0-2.

Thoughts about last week:
1. Dear Lord, thank you that football is back.
2. Tabor was better than I thought they would be, glad we hopefully never play another game there. 0-for whatever is a tough pill to swallow. Thought we were going to finally get that elusive "W" this time.
3. TJ played a like a man on fire. Absolute stud with the yards after contact, picked up multiple first downs after contact. I didn't see the fumble, but everyone claims he was down/helmet off/etc. If he holds onto the ball this year, I think he runs for 2500+ yards this year. Could average 200+ yards/game the rest of the season until maybe Ledford or the 3rd round of playoffs (if we do what we are capable of as a team).
4. Pleased to see the Defense play so well. Absolute thrilled to see that. Loved Jackson's interception for a TD. Blake played really well, LBs were all over the field. If secondary improves (good athletes back there), D will be very good by the end of the year.
5. Josh showed a lot of heart going back out there after they sewed his ear back on....Pulling for him and think he will continue to improve. He is more than capable and I think he will in fact get better every single week. Has the tools for sure.
6. I hope our kicker never has to make another tackle again....punt that darn thing out of bounds if we have to avoid returns. Also hoping that's his last rugby rollout recovery punt in HS....
7. Speaking of punts....that one punt went out on the 6 inch line. Calling that a touch back because you are 25 yards behind the play and out of position to see the ball with 2 MT players in front of you is a travesty. Pinning them in that close to the goal line could have changed the outcome of the game. I have watched that play on Hudl multiple times this past week 't and it is what it is. Missed calls happen, but that one hurt.
8. Random but very relevant thoughts.....Curious how MT does against a better than expected young EF team. If MT hangs really tough with EF, I will feel even better about the lose from Tabor (still hate to lose). Same could be said for how Page does this week and how we do against Davie Friday night. If we get the W against Davie and Page plays well, gives even more credibility to all the high aspirations wafting around in Welcome.
9. Dear Lord, still thankful football is back, even if we did lose. Glad to be going back to "The Castle" this week.
10. Where did 4 years go, can't believe my son is down to his last season of HS ball.

Thoughts about this week (Davie):

1. Dear Lord, as if football being back wasn't enough...you gave us September weather a few weeks early.
2. I will be tailgating in the far end of the parking lot from 4:30 until special teams hit the field.....come talk foozball with me. I will talk football all day, everyday, so you have been forewarned. Davie fans, you are welcome too! Nothing but love for every fan (until the game starts or the food runs out).
3. Hope we can establish the run again this week. Would love to see the WRs get some action to mix it up.
4. Get better than you were last week and come out healthy looking forward to another big matchup next week against an Asheville team that I know nothing about. Hoping we can have that type of season where we are a better team the next week than the previous week.
5. Good luck to everyone around the triad tonight. Be safe!

That rugby kick was awesome. I commented that it is good when your kicker / punter is one of your best athletes. I know he would be a really good Dback if he were playing there, but he's just too valuable doing what he does.

Hate to crow too much on this one.....but ND defense handled and or dominated Davie County. Based on the first two weeks/results....

1. Everybody slept on Tabor more than they should have.
2. Likewise after seeing the East Forsyth score, Page score (both weeks), that ND defense is legit and better than a lot of us expected.
3. North payed Tabor closer than EF who beat a very good Sanderson team. You could argue North (at this point) is a better team than all of those larger 4A schools I just rattled off.

A lot of season to go, so many things to improve on, but the season looks very bright for my Black Knights. Very bright indeed.

ND just needs to protect the ball better on offense, and I think as the season progresses, the short, underneath passes will come. If both units keep improving weekly, it will be a fun season in Welcome! and major Kudos to the Defensive improvements/developments, they were impressive Friday against Davie!

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT