ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy

ncball04

Oct 21, 2014
I heard MAHS has lost their best player to Moravian Prep. Mount Airy had a good shot at the 1A title this coming year with everything around him, but this will hurt them.

Mount Airy had a good shot at the 1A title this coming year
I dont know about all that, with the Wilson Prep's and Henderson Collegiate's of the world still around the 1A publics are still behind the 8-ball even with Lincoln Charter moving up.

Hayesville was probably going to be the best 1A public team this year with a point guard with D1 offers in Kolbe Ashe and 6'7 D1 athlete Jake McTaggart moving back to Hayesville this summer after leading Towns County to the 1A title in Georgia last year.

Either way I hate to see public schools lose their athletes to preps and charters, that's a tough blow for Mount Airy.

Last edited:
I dont know about all that, with the Wilson Prep's and Henderson Collegiate's of the world still around the 1A publics are still behind the 8-ball even with Lincoln Charter moving up.

Hayesville was probably going to be the best 1A public team this year with a D1 point guard in Kolbe Ashe and 6'7 D1 athlete Jake McTaggart moving back to Hayesville this summer after leading Towns County to the 1A title in Georgia last year.

Either way I hate to see public schools lose their athletes to preps and charters, that's a tough blow for Mount Airy.
Hayesville?? Come on man I hear that name every year and each year they are put out in the first round or two. They play in a very weak conference and it hurts them come playoff time. If they want to prepare themselves, make the 3 hour drive and play some teams in Hickory/Gastonia/or Charlotte area.
Wilson Prep had their moment in the sun. They cheated and I mean cheated (with NCHSAA knowing) to win a state. Henderson Collegiate will be tough as always. But the West is wide open again. Mt. Airy has a shot still. The PG and SG are solid and at 1A level all you need is 1 or 2 guys. They have that this year.

Hayesville?? Come on man I hear that name every year and each year they are put out in the first round or two. They play in a very weak conference and it hurts them come playoff time. If they want to prepare themselves, make the 3 hour drive and play some teams in Hickory/Gastonia/or Charlotte area.
Wilson Prep had their moment in the sun. They cheated and I mean cheated (with NCHSAA knowing) to win a state. Henderson Collegiate will be tough as always. But the West is wide open again. Mt. Airy has a shot still. The PG and SG are solid and at 1A level all you need is 1 or 2 guys. They have that this year.
You don't hear the name Hayesville from me every year, you must have me confused with someone else, because most years I agree with you that they come in overhyped. This is the first time in a long time I think that they're a real contender.

Hayesville won 1A in '04 with a stud guard, a dominant big and good coaching and that's exactly the same recipe they will have this season, sleep on them if you want. I do hope for their sake they have the non conference schedule to actually challenge theirselves and prep them for the type of teams they'll see come playoff time because they won't be challenged at all in conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadof23
Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I guess it's technically true they went out 2d round last year, although with a round cut out that was basically the 3rd round, and they went more than two rounds deep the two years before that. Anyway, this year's team will should be a good bit more talented than those teams. Take 4 of the top 6--including a point guard with a couple D1 offers-- from a team that was undefeated until losing by a basket to Mountain Island Charter in the Sweet 16. Then add this kid (6-7, numerous D1 football offers, a hoops state title in GA and Atlanta Journal-Constitution Georgia Class A basketball player of the year last year) and you're crazy if you don't think that will be a good team. I don't know if that will be enough, but if it isn't enough to at least be in the running come March, then I'd be surprised if a traditional public school ever won the title again.

As far as preparing themselves, they probably won't get much of a challenge from the rest of the SMC this year, but it does seem like they're seeking out good competition. I know they were at the NCBCA recruiting live period event in Winston last month and didn't lose. Will be interesting to see the regular season schedule when it comes out. A few years ago when both Cottrell brothers were on the team they scheduled pretty aggressively (Rabun Gap, Raleigh Broughton, 4A Gainesville Johnson and White County from GA, and a few other good games), so it's not like they're scared to schedule those kind of games when they have a good team.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan

Hayesville was probably going to be the best 1A public team this year with a D1 point guard in Kolbe Ashe and 6'7 D1 athlete Jake McTaggart moving back to Hayesville this summer after leading Towns County to the 1A title in Georgia last year.

I will believe what I see Mount Airy and other schools have posted by Friday or next week. It's like playing cards, you don't show your cards when they are first dealt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT