ADVERTISEMENT

1A Motivation

Wildcat10fan

Aug 9, 2014
usually comments are made at the pro level to get in the head of the competition. I don't believe I've seen it at the High School level very much but the latest Cherokee Scout sports article about Andrews and Murphy girls basketball game was not needed. When we play Murphy it's all the motivation our girls need. I want to personally thank Murphy for the added motivation. If you think when you beat us by 4 it was just your team " Playing down to the competition " we will see. Our girls played a good game and will use this for next weeks game in Andrews. It doesn't mean we will win but I guarantee it will make them play even harder. You got to love High School competition Thanks again

Last edited:
usually comments are made at the pro level to get in the head of the competition. I don't believe I've seen it at the High School level very much but the latest Cherokee Scout sports article about Andrews and Murphy girls basketball game was not needed. When we play Murphy it's all the motivation our girls need. I want to personally thank Murphy for the added motivation. If you think when you beat us by 4 it was just your team " Playing down to the competition " we will see. Our girls played a good game and will use this for next weeks game in Andrews. It doesn't mean we will win but I guarantee it will make them play even harder. You got to love High School competition Thanks again

I don't get on here much...definitely not best choice of words. According to this player, the writer asked her point blank, "Do you feel like you played down to their level?" To me, that is baiting...and what 17 or 18 year old kid is going to be savvy enough to tip toe around a question worded that way.

Andrews played well...they worked their tails off...not really a ref issue (even though one who was reffing has repeatedly made disparaging comments in regards to Murphy's coach in public...he shouldn't be allowed to ref any Cherokee County games).

Murphy has got to continue to improve, play hard, and compete. Murphy girls are just learning how to win. Cherokee is going to be hard to knock off. Just too many weapons.

As far as motivation, I don't think Andrews needs any motivation...they are hungry and know that anything can happen on any given night.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I don't get on here much...definitely not best choice of words. According to this player, the writer asked her point blank, "Do you feel like you played down to their level?" To me, that is baiting...and what 17 or 18 year old kid is going to be savvy enough to tip toe around a question worded that way.

Andrews played well...they worked their tails off...not really a ref issue (even though one who was reffing has repeatedly made disparaging comments in regards to Murphy's coach in public...he shouldn't be allowed to ref any Cherokee County games).

Murphy has got to continue to improve, play hard, and compete. Murphy girls are just learning how to win. Cherokee is going to be hard to knock off. Just too many weapons.

As far as motivation, I don't think Andrews needs any motivation...they are hungry and know that anything can happen on any given night.
Well that is not fair to a kid to be baited. I sure didn't intend to hurt a player by posting this but we're use to this one Journalist writing articles that are more favorable toward our competition even when he writes for one of our games. As far as the official s I thought they called it even and tight even with key players from both sides in a little foul trouble. Personally I have seen more consistent calls from our league officials this year than I have in many years. As long as they are consistent both ways i'm fine. But if a official makes a comment in public about a dislike for a coach, team or player he doesn't need to be calling a game. It's not fair to the kids and that is why they are there. I have always said they need to be accountablilty in our league. Thank you for letting me know about the baiting questions

Well that is not fair to a kid to be baited. I sure didn't intend to hurt a player by posting this but we're use to this one Journalist writing articles that are more favorable toward our competition even when he writes for one of our games. As far as the official s I thought they called it even and tight even with key players from both sides in a little foul trouble. Personally I have seen more consistent calls from our league officials this year than I have in many years. As long as they are consistent both ways i'm fine. But if a official makes a comment in public about a dislike for a coach, team or player he doesn't need to be calling a game. It's not fair to the kids and that is why they are there. I have always said they need to be accountablilty in our league. Thank you for letting me know about the baiting questions

No worries...it's a learning experience. I spoke to my daughter and said if someone interviews you...take your time and think about your answer...or decline to answer. I know that Murphy walked away with a lot of respect for Andrews. As a parent, I did too. They played hard, made shots, and didn't back down.

I would agree on reffing...for the most part it's been better than years past. I know they are down on the number of refs that they have. Personally, I see more and more teams beginning to use Asheville association refs. We played at Cherokee and the refs let them play...maybe a little too much...but they were consistent. That's all you can ask.

Good luck the rest of the way...Andrews has a lot of good things going this year.

No worries...it's a learning experience. I spoke to my daughter and said if someone interviews you...take your time and think about your answer...or decline to answer. I know that Murphy walked away with a lot of respect for Andrews. As a parent, I did too. They played hard, made shots, and didn't back down.

I would agree on reffing...for the most part it's been better than years past. I know they are down on the number of refs that they have. Personally, I see more and more teams beginning to use Asheville association refs. We played at Cherokee and the refs let them play...maybe a little too much...but they were consistent. That's all you can ask.

Good luck the rest of the way...Andrews has a lot of good things going this year.
Thank you, I've told mine the same. But it doesn't hurt for Andrews to use it for motivation even when it's not needed at all. Lol. We too have used officials out of the Asheville region and I really like their consistentency. And yes they do let them play a little too physical but I like it. Good luck to the Bulldogs

Thank you, I've told mine the same. But it doesn't hurt for Andrews to use it for motivation even when it's not needed at all. Lol. We too have used officials out of the Asheville region and I really like their consistentency. And yes they do let them play a little too physical but I like it. Good luck to the Bulldogs

Off the wall question...how would you feel if mhs and AHS consolidated? Building a new school and new facilities? I don't know you...you don't know me...just curious someone on that end of the county's thoughts

Off the wall question...how would you feel if mhs and AHS consolidated? Building a new school and new facilities? I don't know you...you don't know me...just curious someone on that end of the county's thoughts
I've never wanted to see it. My thought process is how many kids would not get to participate, especially in Basketball. In basketball you would only dress out 15 players. How many good student athletes would miss out on getting to play. In football Murphy already fields 45 players and if you add Andrews and HD they would be a lot of quality plzyers that would never get any playing time. So as far as sports I think it would be bad for the many student athletes who wouldn't be able to participate.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
A consolidated Cherokee County high school would be a huge player in girls basketball, probably one of the best 2A programs in the state most years.

I think it would be a huge hit for the Andrews community. Murphy has a bigger economic engine, is the county seat, etc., so while their school is important to the community, there is a community identity outside of it. Because so much industry has left Andrews, and now people live there and work/shop elsewhere, the school is, in my opinion, much more of what defines Andrews' sense of community.

Sports-wise, the talent would hypothetically add up to a great 2A girls basketball program, a very good 2AA football one, and more-than-competitive 2A volleyball, softball, and baseball programs (soccer would be rough), but sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts after consolidation. You have to think that if you consolidate, you have less JV spots and less bench spots to give late bloomers to develop. And then some players who develop with starters minutes at a small school will be on the bench not getting that experience (or getting fed up and quitting). Plus coaches at smaller schools tend to push kids less toward specialization, because they realize it is mutually assured destruction, in a sense--but when you have 1000 kids in the school, that isn't the case. So a lot of the players who make these programs very good 1A programs now--and factor in to thinking about how good a combined program would be--would likely not even be part of the equation if there were a consolidated program.

I want to clarify that this post was not in anyway made to embarrass a child. I would never do that. I posted this only to heat up a In-County rivalry. This is a sports page where Old has beens come to talk sports and talk smack and support their team. My intentions was not meant to hurt or offend a anyone. As a man I've used this to motivate my team and for that purpose only but it ended up offending others and for that i'm truly sorry. Anyone who has seen my posts over the years know that I'm all for the student athletes

I think it would be a huge hit for the Andrews community. Murphy has a bigger economic engine, is the county seat, etc., so while their school is important to the community, there is a community identity outside of it. Because so much industry has left Andrews, and now people live there and work/shop elsewhere, the school is, in my opinion, much more of what defines Andrews' sense of community.

Sports-wise, the talent would hypothetically add up to a great 2A girls basketball program, a very good 2AA football one, and more-than-competitive 2A volleyball, softball, and baseball programs (soccer would be rough), but sometimes the whole is less than the sum of the parts after consolidation. You have to think that if you consolidate, you have less JV spots and less bench spots to give late bloomers to develop. And then some players who develop with starters minutes at a small school will be on the bench not getting that experience (or getting fed up and quitting). Plus coaches at smaller schools tend to push kids less toward specialization, because they realize it is mutually assured destruction, in a sense--but when you have 1000 kids in the school, that isn't the case. So a lot of the players who make these programs very good 1A programs now--and factor in to thinking about how good a combined program would be--would likely not even be part of the equation if there were a consolidated program.
Very well put and spot on. It makes me think of Mtn View, Stecoah and Cullowhee High Schools. It certainly is a pride of community outlook

I want to clarify that this post was not in anyway made to embarrass a child. I would never do that. I posted this only to heat up a In-County rivalry. This is a sports page where Old has beens come to talk sports and talk smack and support their team. My intentions was not meant to hurt or offend a anyone. As a man I've used this to motivate my team and for that purpose only but it ended up offending others and for that i'm truly sorry. Anyone who has seen my posts over the years know that I'm all for the student athletes

I didn't take it that way at all. If I were coaching...I'd definitely show it to my team. Just wanted to give the rest of the story...there definitely wasn't a lack of respect by any Murphy player or coach towards Andrews. It was a wake up call for that girls team going into the Cherokee game for sure.

Sports are important...I get that. However, they aren't the most important thing. I've only known two people who made their living playing sports from the SMC. I haven't seen a Pickens or Shuler come through here in a while.

So, to me it gets down to are we providing the best opportunities for our students. Regardless of whether or not they are Andrews or Murphy kids. I leave HD out because I don't think combining all three schools is feasible and geographically...it just makes more sense to combine Andrews and Murphy. A consolidation would only be meaningful if a new facility was constructed with room for additional growth. This would mean new classrooms, new fields, and new opportunities.

Eventually, we have to quit patching and fixing...throwing good money after bad. It will be tough at first, but would eventually be great academically and athletically. It wouldn't eliminate community pride...it would enhance it and bring us closer together. Be nice if we were all on the same boat and rowing in the same direction.

As far as kids not playing...it really isn't done the same way in larger schools that we do in smaller schools. For example...unless you are a stud...most JV teams are made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Then, varsity is juniors and seniors...usually you know who can play and not play by 11th or 12th grade. Let's face it...after the first five or so on the basketball teams...the talent level drops pretty quick. So, if you have 15 person roster from AHS and MHS...you take 5 from each and then find 5 more b level players...then you have better practices, more internal competition, and better teams. Unfortunately, some kids are c players...not an easy thing...but there are ways for kids to be involved. Just my thoughts which really don't matter.

Sports are important...I get that. However, they aren't the most important thing. I've only known two people who made their living playing sports from the SMC. I haven't seen a Pickens or Shuler come through here in a while.

So, to me it gets down to are we providing the best opportunities for our students. Regardless of whether or not they are Andrews or Murphy kids. I leave HD out because I don't think combining all three schools is feasible and geographically...it just makes more sense to combine Andrews and Murphy. A consolidation would only be meaningful if a new facility was constructed with room for additional growth. This would mean new classrooms, new fields, and new opportunities.

Eventually, we have to quit patching and fixing...throwing good money after bad. It will be tough at first, but would eventually be great academically and athletically. It wouldn't eliminate community pride...it would enhance it and bring us closer together. Be nice if we were all on the same boat and rowing in the same direction.

As far as kids not playing...it really isn't done the same way in larger schools that we do in smaller schools. For example...unless you are a stud...most JV teams are made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Then, varsity is juniors and seniors...usually you know who can play and not play by 11th or 12th grade. Let's face it...after the first five or so on the basketball teams...the talent level drops pretty quick. So, if you have 15 person roster from AHS and MHS...you take 5 from each and then find 5 more b level players...then you have better practices, more internal competition, and better teams. Unfortunately, some kids are c players...not an easy thing...but there are ways for kids to be involved. Just my thoughts which really don't matter.

I get that, and certainly agree that sports shouldn't be the determining factor for making a decision like this...the conversation had turned into being about the sports angle (although I realize your question that started it was more general), so that's what I was responding to. As far as academics, the ideal school size hits a target range where there are enough students to provide diverse opportunities but not so many students where kids get lost in the shuffle. A lot of research suggests that number is around 600 students for a high school, so I think that if Cherokee County were to consolidate, it would be best with two high schools of 500-600 students each--possibly one around Marble and one around Blairsville Highway, if money as no object and somehow people decided to budget for hypothetical new facilities. You seem to think geographically there would have to be two high schools, so looks like we have some common ground there.

Last edited:
Again, i'm just looking at this as a sports junky, but can you imagine not having The Andrews Wildcats or The Murphy Bulldogs ? What would be a possible name for a consolidated Cherokee County School ? Back in the day Sylva Webster was a Power house and to this day it still doesn't sound right saying Smoky Mountain Mustangs. Probably crazy to some of you but like Observe & Report stated it's our community identity

Haha...gotta consider all options

If anybody is particularly passionate about this topic, next week is the time to make your voice heard. Cherokee County is having three open meetings--Tuesday in Hiwassee Dam, Wednesday in Andrews, and Thursday in Murphy--to discuss whether to stay with community school model or to consolidate.

Reactions: mbdfan
Only way I say consolidation is with two high schools
Heck no, I would never approve of a two high school plan unless it was with the majority of the current Murphy and HD districts being combined and the Andrews district remaining mostly similar. Any plan that splits up Murphy's current student body more than minimally I would be against 100%. That sounds like me being a Murphy homer but it isn't, it's me recognizing that such a plan would likely kill high level high school football in this county.

What you would end up with is two high schools with roughly around 500 students each (unless they slanted the district lines to have one measurably larger than the other) and both would be no more than mediocre in most sports, including football. The other big reason I would be against the two high school plan is because a two high school plan mostly fails in rectifying the issue that creates a need for consolidation in the first place: which is to save money in the long run by not having to spread money and resources thin among multiple schools.

If consolidation were to become a reality I would probably only be in favor of a one high school plan. A combined Cherokee County high school would still only be 2A size, although one of the largest 2A schools (the most recent combined ADM #'s for Murphy, Andrews and Hiwassee Dam is 979 students). On paper a combined Cherokee County high school would be competitive in the vast majority of sports at the 2A level, including obviously football. And a single high school funded by the county ensures resources all go towards the same school instead of being spread out. They could cut down to two middle schools: East (located in Tomatla/Marble area) and West (located near Blairsville Hwy) and as previously stated the single high school (located in or near Murphy proper).

The biggest complaint with a one high school model would be the obvious travel burden for some, although with said high school likely to be located in the the most central part of the county (in or around Murphy) I don't think travel would be a true hardship for the majority of the student populous, obvious exceptions being some Culberson, Hiwassee Dam, Topton, Junalaska residents. Any one high school county is going to create a travel burden for some though, that's just the way it is. But I believe the positives from a monetary and resources point of view outweigh any concerns about travel or teacher to student ratio. Alternatives for some parents/students if a single high school approach was taken would be facilitating the expansion of The Learning Center to be a K thru 12 charter, or the already existing option of Tri County Early College.

Last edited:
I think a lot of other areas in the state spent the 70s and 80s consolidating into 1000-1500 student high schools, and now you see charter schools with 300-600 students popping up all over the place because people in those areas aren't happy with the large, consolidated schools--which makes me wonder why Cherokee County would want to be 30-40 years late to a party that other people are trying to leave.

And I think the fact that we are discussing "what would be best for sports" shows that there aren't overwhelming educational concerns with the current school setup.

Reactions: mbdfan
And I think the fact that we are discussing "what would be best for sports" shows that there aren't overwhelming educational concerns with the current school setup.
educationally no, facilities wise yes. The vast majority of the schools in the county are in need of major renovations or a flat out new facility. Murphy High for example was a dump when I was there over a decade ago, I can only imagine what shape the inside is in structurally and aesthetically by now. So yeah, consolidation at the middle school and high school level would make a lot of sense from a long term monetary and resources point of view.

I personally would never approve of a two high school model though because I think it would kill high end high school athletics in this county (if they decided to go with just one high school then athletics would be fine imo, but they wouldn't) but if you take away the athletics perspective a two middle school/two high school model is probably the most sensible thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
It seems a lot of the talk is centered around consolidating Martins Creek, Ranger and Hiwassee Dam elementary schools, and to do the same with Peachtree and Murphy, as well as Marble and Andrews. That's in addition to building a permanent facility for Tri County early college and then combining campuses with the alternative school currently located in Martins Creek.

So that's potentially building 3 new elementary schools or expanding existing ones and I suppose building a new middle school for a combined Hiwassee Dam, Martins Creek and Ranger, as well as the new early college/alternative school facility. I still don't think that fixes some of the biggest issues all that much, sure it eliminates four probably unnecessary community based elementary schools and provides the early college with a much needed building but does nothing really to address the decrepit state of the high schools in the county.

If consolidation is the route the county decides to go, might as well double down and consolidate further: 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and 1 or 2 high schools. Simply put, having 3 middle schools and 3 high schools is unnecessary and a waste of money trying to upkeep all of them. For the county to consolidate from 7 elementary schools to 3 is a good start, but not enough if consolidation is the route.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT