ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery Central HS (Updated: 5/14: MC needs games)

The first thing I would ask any coach at this point is, “are you going to stay more than two years”.

That last hire sounded good, but it was a bust.
Coach Brown was a transitional coach. With his dad on the staff, you have two of the best in North Carolina history. I’d be amazed if the powers that be were surprised by this retirement. But merging those two cultures will take several years and they probably need a coach that can weather some tough years before reaching success.
I’m no expert on Montgomery County. But I know the Browns. They helped keep it together when the school had two campuses and two cultures. And then a pandemic. Now someone else needs to create one school and one team from cross county rivals. Not an easy task, but one that can be very rewarding to the right coach.

Reactions: Griddie and RD28327
Coach Brown was a transitional coach. With his dad on the staff, you have two of the best in North Carolina history. I’d be amazed if the powers that be were surprised by this retirement. But merging those two cultures will take several years and they probably need a coach that can weather some tough years before reaching success.
I’m no expert on Montgomery County. But I know the Browns. They helped keep it together when the school had two campuses and two cultures. And then a pandemic. Now someone else needs to create one school and one team from cross county rivals. Not an easy task, but one that can be very rewarding to the right coach.
They are fine people. No doubt. Its impossible to know what it would have looked like if they would have hired someone for the long haul. Just no way to know for sure. In my completely non-expert opinion, it would have been ideal for someone to have started the process and then continued to walk them through it. To me, (again an outsider looking in) it wasn't a good hire. I know the West Montgomery folks had higher hopes. Looking back at their old posts, they were guaranteeing deep runs into the playoffs in the next year or two.

I hope they are successful!

It will take some time and the fans here need to realize that. We just need to support the new coach whomever it may be. Be positive and allow the chips to fall where they may. WM with coach Eddins and also EM with coach Hammer brought excitement to the county with their success. I hope that it can be that way again. The right coach with the right mindset and time can make that happen. It will just take time to build this program.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Now, if Metzger was to take the job at Montgomery Central, how many of his Pinecrest assistants would follow him??? 🤔

Last edited:
So it seems that it’s a forgone conclusion that it is Metzger’s job if he wants it.
Is Brian Hinson a candidate? Local product and just won a state championship.

Reactions: RD28327
Question: Saturday without travel baseball - so I decided to drive down to Troy to see Montgomery Central - are the fields being used for competition this year? They don’t really look finished.

The football field was used. Not sure about the others. The school has a very attractive and impressive campus and athletic complex, IMO. Great improvement over the facilities at EMHS and WMHS.

The football field was used. Not sure about the others. The school has a very attractive and impressive campus and athletic complex, IMO. Great improvement over the facilities at EMHS and WMHS.
Definitely impressive! Just saw some scaffolding on the ‘wall’ end of the football field and the grass looked like you would expect it to right after being sewn - hasn’t really filled in in spots. Beautiful drive down 109.

Definitely impressive! Just saw some scaffolding on the ‘wall’ end of the football field and the grass looked like you would expect it to right after being sewn - hasn’t really filled in in spots. Beautiful drive down 109.
I have a feeling that I'm going to get really familiar with that drive down 109 over the next 4 years!

I'm worried that Montgomery Central is going to get really tired of that same drive. those 100+ mile round trips are going to get really old for them, and they'll be doing them multiple times most weeks.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get really familiar with that drive down 109 over the next 4 years!

I'm worried that Montgomery Central is going to get really tired of that same drive. those 100+ mile round trips are going to get really old for them, and they'll be doing them multiple times most weeks.
Forest Hills is just as long of a drive, maybe longer, than the longest drive in their conference. I don’t think it’ll be as much of a burden as you believe.

Forest Hills is just as long of a drive, maybe longer, than the longest drive in their conference. I don’t think it’ll be as much of a burden as you believe.
It’s not just one team. It’s half the conference that is 50 miles away. And central Davidson isn’t much closer. Asheboro is their closest conference opponent.

All fields are being used. The scaffolding is for the field house that is being built. Hopefully it will be complete by the time practice rolls around for this fall.

Reactions: Murpheel54
Now, is Montgomery County ready for Metzger, or, is Metzger ready for Montgomery County??? I wish Metzger the best of luck in the world, except for the season opener!!! ;)

If you know the extent of what he did at Pinecrest, you best just get out of the way and let him do his thing. Montgomery Central could be a goldmine with him leading the program. You better be ready to open the wallets. And 6am practices, improved weight room, extend the indoor field house you should have from WM!

Now, is Montgomery County ready for Metzger, or, is Metzger ready for Montgomery County??? I wish Metzger the best of luck in the world, except for the season opener!!! ;)
That’s a real question. Metzger is a winner, but he has some rather extreme ways. He has the keys to the county, so get on or get left in the dust.

Soon all the kids will have went to MC which will be huge. End of the two sides of the river and united. What I would love as a coach is the fact that you have two feeder programs for the school. That’s a huge plus imo.

Reactions: rockstrong
It’s an absolutely beautiful school and facilities especially with the mountains in the background.

He has to get in hall's, middle schools, and in the community quickly. No Jordan building. There is plenty of room to build one. It will take some time. I hope that the community will buy in to his approach. Welcome Coach Metzger. I am excited to see what this new chapter brings.

He has to get in hall's, middle schools, and in the community quickly. No Jordan building. There is plenty of room to build one. It will take some time. I hope that the community will buy in to his approach. Welcome Coach Metzger. I am excited to see what this new chapter brings.

It won’t take long, you will see program wide improvement immediately.

Reactions: Griddie
While we're on the topic... What will be done with the two old high school properties?

Not that Troy is a top candidate for a charter school, but state law requires a non-used school building to be available to a charter school, if they exist, and are willing to purchase at a fair market value.

I think the ownership has been given back to the county. The commissioners will now make the decision. The Department of Safety had inquired to buy East Montgomery High to make it a training facility to go with Samarcand in Moore county. Not sure about West Montgomery.

I think the ownership has been given back to the county. The commissioners will now make the decision. The Department of Safety had inquired to buy East Montgomery High to make it a training facility to go with Samarcand in Moore county. Not sure about West Montgomery.
That's a good idea. I look back at the old Davie County High campus. I rode by there yesterday and they've done some pretty good stuff there. Looks like they put in a splash pad and some good playgrounds for the town. I think they've put in some ballfields as well.

That's a good idea. I look back at the old Davie County High campus. I rode by there yesterday and they've done some pretty good stuff there. Looks like they put in a splash pad and some good playgrounds for the town. I think they've put in some ballfields as well.
Yes, kept the gym, turned some of the classrooms into offices and built a splash pad and baseball field. They also turfed the old football field, heard soccer organization might have helped with that. Turned what could have been an eyesore, into a community asset.

At old Davie High, they put turf on the football field and it looks awesome. We had a camp there and plan to have another one there on May 29th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT