ADVERTISEMENT

Monroe at Charlotte Catholic

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
(7-2) Monroe will take on (8-1) Charlotte Catholic. Any thoughts with this game. Can Catholic repeat another State Championship game.

Last edited:
I got CC in this one. I was very impressed with their discipline on offense and defense. The kids play their position, do their job, and know the guy beside them will do his job, that is fun to see in a team even though they did us in. It reminded me a lot of ACR’s 1999 team that won the 4A title, nothing pretty, great defense and an offense that just plugged along. Good luck CC, go win another one!

Having great athletes is a luxury, but you just can't beat or most teams have a hard time of doing it, just good old fundamental blocking and tackling. Most teams don't do that anymore. Just watch video of most offensive lines there are a lot of blockers that just stand up and wonder down field and never block anyone. On defense you see a lot of hits but not a lot of wrapping up on those hits. It is becoming a lost art

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I gotta give props to Monroe for beating King Mtn but I have take Catholic here as I feel Catholic will slow the tempo down n control the flow of this game, Monroe may have some great talent but Catholic is a different animal and Hard to beat them at Home

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
(7-2) Monroe will take on (8-1) Charlotte Catholic. Any thoughts with this game. Can Catholic repeat another State Championship game.
Short answers, Monroe will be a challenge and yes they can repeat. Catholic does several things that are foreign to most teams. They slow the tempo of the game and they shorten it with their methodical 3, 4, 5 yards a clip. If you go three and out, you may not see the ball again for 5, 6 minutes. Reynolds had one possession, 3 plays, in the 1st quarter of their game. Most teams also don't like the grounder pounder 11 men in the box that Catholic forces you to play. Defensive backs and OLBs want to chase rabbits in spread offenses, not meet head on with a 200 lb back continuously running downhill straight at you. They also throw in enough play action passing and misdirection to keep you honest and force you to play disciplined position defense. If the game is close they always have a chance, regardless who they play, and their system keeps them in most games. Teams used to putting 50 points on the board will not do that unless they can physically overmatch and out athlete them. Catholic likes to feel that, with their system, they can play with anyone. If you bring your B game, you will definitely lose.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
How can we get a ticket to the game? Go fan or sold at gate?

Monroe is a different team from the one Catholic beat earlier. Stay humble!!
Catholic is different too. Started one guy on our OL/TEs that had ever played a meaningful varsity snap in that game. No underestimating of Monroe here.

Monroe is a different team from the one Catholic beat earlier. Stay humble!!

I would actually say Monroe is the favorite. They are the Hot team and have a lot of talent. I am curious why you suggested 7 points. It is a legitimate question. They are not as deep as Catholic and might wear down but if they demonstrate they can get their defense off the field they could run away with the game. If they jump on Catholic early like Crest did I don't see a comeback. However if this is a close game Catholic has a distinct edge. If Catholic wins by more than a touchdown then I would expect them to repeat again.

Last edited:
Don't kid yourself they are/were a handful. We played very sound defense against them and made a few plays early that changed the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT