ADVERTISEMENT

Monroe @ Ashe Co

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
This post sorta goes along with an relates to "if Monroe is as good as last year" but one noone as hit yet. I commend Ashe for a great win friday, I was gonna go but sick friend cut me short so we caught a closer game. Waste of money, South Caldwell got destroyed!! Whole other breed of football players at Mt Tabor. What I see in this game is about the same thing. High speed good size players that can play at Monroe.

Key to victory for Ashe is wideouts get open quick even if its just short dump offs. Any yards will work. Defenders watch lanes and hit the angles cause footraces wont work in this game. Way too much speed in Monroe. If Ashe had a hard enough time keeping Maiden out of the endzone this task will be even harder. Monroe will HAVE to make some mistakes and Ashe will HAVE to capitalize on those mistakes if oppurtunities present themselves in order for this game to be even close.

Thoughts?

I'll take Monroe. Next week the Fraser Fir Christmas trees will get cut, baled, and delivered with plenty of labor available. Monroe is much more athletic than Maiden.

They may be way more athletic but what I noticed is Monroe did lose to Mt Plesant. Not taking anything away from Mt Pleasant cause they'be been playing some good ball down there for the past 6 or 7 years but Mount is well coached just like Ashe and have prob the same calibure players that Ashe has too. Maybe alil more athletic but not WAY more. Things can happen, we'll see. Thats why we play the game.

Alil suspicious bout Ashe's Starmount loss cause Monroe could dog em' if matched up but that goes back to the team A beat team B so team C playing team A dont have a chance kinda thing. Who knows, they might not play so good in the cold, Ashe can only hope

They may be way more athletic but what I noticed is Monroe did lose to Mt Plesant. Not taking anything away from Mt Pleasant cause they'be been playing some good ball down there for the past 6 or 7 years but Mount is well coached just like Ashe and have prob the same calibure players that Ashe has too. Maybe alil more athletic but not WAY more. Things can happen, we'll see. Thats why we play the game.

Alil suspicious bout Ashe's Starmount loss cause Monroe could dog em' if matched up but that goes back to the team A beat team B so team C playing team A dont have a chance kinda thing. Who knows, they might not play so good in the cold, Ashe can only hope

Credit to Starmount for playing a great game, but Ashe also played its worst game of the year, by far. They may have very well beat us anyway, but we played terrible and the rain absolutely killed our passing game. Ashe played step for step with a 100 percent healthy Hibriten team in September.

Monroe has the athlete advantage, no doubt, and we may be without one of our better receivers, but Ashe will go out there and fight and bust their asses and play hard, no doubt in my mind about that.

Coach Hampton will have these kids ready to play. Monroe better not come in thinking they're gonna walk all over Ashe.

Well keep in mind Eric that David did slay Goilieth, an even though Ashe has higher seed this is very well a David/Golieth matchup to the fullest. I was looking at Monroes schedule an I gotta say in the losses that they took they were from really good teams that are all in playoffs as far as I know. My game traveling buddy is just dying to see a Charlotte game but I'm not having it lol. As u know we bounce to differ games in the area an visit, just as long as it's worth watching. We don't exactly hit up games like Highland Tech vs Mallard Creek or something like that lol. I love the country boy atmosphere at Ashe an have some family up that way not to mention NWAshe alum for cousins an a good army buddy who was an Ashe Central grad an a platoon Sgt who was also an Ashe central grad.

To sum up the game Ashe will have to keep everything in front of them an on offense, make every drive count. Even if u gotta get River boat Ron style football going with a 4th an 2 backed up near ur own 20 or further, go for it. Anything to keep a drive going an Monroe offense off a field. Ashe may be a passing team but in a game like this u need a RB an at least one big Olineman to run behind to get that hole even if tiny to get that yard or 2 yards on critical 3rd or 4th down. No running around the side cause Monroe is too quick for that, if u can get enough push up middle for 2 or 3 here an there that'll make a HUGE difference. Am last of all Ashe players are gonna have to go out there with right attitude an have the idea that's its a new day new game an don't let their size speed or schedule get in their heads, their only human an they can fumble intercept a mess up too

Ashe has had a fine season but that season will likely end this Friday night. Monroe's record is very deceiving as they've lost to some really good teams by a touchdown or less. They return a lot from last year's state runner up team and have had a full season to get the new kids on both lines up and running. If Monroe limits their penalties and doesn't turn it over, they will beat Ashe by at least 3 TD's.

Got some good points an with this it is what it is. Not much u can do against talent that towers over another. I've gave my hopeful 2 cents worth for Ashe an am pulling for them all the way in 2a ball but u may be right. I'm being hopeful in that they give Monroe a better game than South Caldwell did Mt Tabor. I was thinking South may keep it to just a 2 TD defeat an put at least a Td or 2 on the boards but they did nothing cause the talent level was just so different. An Ashe is or could be the kinda team that's identlical with South an Mt Tabor to Monroe with the exception of the QB. Ashe may have the best QB on the field between the 2 but it's gonna have to be a team effort an overall good play calling at right time with Monroe making mistakes an Ashe taking advantage.

I don't absolutely expect Ashe to pull an upset or keep it super close but I am still hopeful something good happens. It'll be the biggest upset on the bracket if they pull it off or one of the biggest ones anyway.

Since everyone including myself is seeing a Monroe victory easily unfold let me remind Ya guys of a couple MAJOR upsets in years past in which if people actually gambled on high school ball heavily there would have been some cussing an a whole lotta money lost--

2006 East Lincoln vs Cherryville: EL was a conf dominating team an widely favored to go deep in playoffs an make some noise. Good QB an one of the best they've had. Cville was ok, sorta a middle of the road to below avg team. Cville pulls major upset. Beats them by 2 scores I believe. A real mouth droper. Cville lost to teams East beat so it was easily in the bag on paper. Never to happen again though.

1998 East Burke vs Freedom: a not so great EB team coached by Helms enters this game heavy underdogs losing hard to teams Freedom mopped the floor hard with so do the math. Freedom was losing at the half by 2 or 3 scores an does however come back after playing better an capitalizing off mistakes along with EB prob just letting off the gas an allowing them back in the game. Freedom won but barely. Yeah not an upset but was on the wire to being one.

There's alot more in the area in sure that people can mention however that's the biggest ones that I had off top of my head. If Ashe pulls one off that'll be 3rd on my list. It can happen but the play calling an executions will have to be flawless. Just showing those 2 examples in that in a game like this, it can happen

Not really a good comparison. Monroe has athletes everywhere, none of the teams you mentioned has half the athletes they do. They were more of ground and pound type teams

I doubt that Ashe has played any team that had the speed Monroe has. The problem with most of the mountain teams (except Asheville) is the fact that they do not have the speed the teams east of the mountain has.

Originally posted by Champ_24:
Not really a good comparison. Monroe has athletes everywhere, none of the teams you mentioned has half the athletes they do. They were more of ground and pound type teams
Not sure why that matters to you so much Champ. Every time I see you post, it's athletes this and athletes that. Ashe runs an Air-Raid offense. It's hard for anyone to defend.

Anyways, good luck to Ashe. I really hope you guys win. I get so tired of hearing teams without athletes can't win. It's just not true.

This post was edited on 11/18 8:13 PM by Illuminati704

Name one team that did not have athletes who won a state championship.

This post was edited on 11/18 9:37 PM by No.1RamsFan

I want to know what your definition of "athlete" is and I'll be happy to answer your question. Let's not hijak this thread.

Illumination - there is a team in the area that ran an air raid offense and had good success until they ran up against a team with lots of speed. The faster team's corners were on the other team's receivers like glue. The passing team had no success passing the ball. Not to mention that their QB was under constant pressure.

The first team that came to mind for me was the 1997 Rosman team,they made it to the championship game,but lost it,but they sure did beat some teams with a bunch of athletes,albemarle,thomasville I think they beat Cummings too and somebody else also. They beat Starmount and Maiden that year as well.
This post was edited on 11/19 4:22 PM by Deana_King

Everytime I see the term athlete I think that person equates it with speed. Football athletes are more than track kids. I will take intelligent kids who are tough over any track stars. Most of the track and basketball players I see are afraid of a hit and run for the sidelines. So would you assume a wrestler is not an athlete? Believe me I think speed is a great trait but from what I have seen it does not mean a kid is a good football player.

Originally posted by TVILLEDAWG2370:
The first team that came to mind for me was the 1997 Rosman team,they made it to the championship game,but lost it,but they sure did beat some teams with a bunch of athletes,albemarle,thomasville I think they beat Cummings too and somebody else also.
It's hard to measure heart. That team was led by current Pisgah head football coach, Brent Chappell.

Stop kidding your-self, when you talk about athletic team you are talking about teams that are predominant Black ( Monroe, Redsville, TW Andrews, Ashville, Thomasville, Carver)!!

What people are trying to say is Ashe is a mountain team full of white kids. Don't sugar coat it. That's what you're saying.

Speed is a great trait to have on a football team however if that was all that mattered Ashe would have got destroyed by Wilkes Central and RJ Reynolds. They beat both of those teams.

It starts up front. Period. You can have all the speed you want in the world but the team that controls the line of scrimmage wins the majority of times.

Wilkes Central and RJ Reynolds could be black, white or green and have speed. It doesn't matter. They aren't good and frankly, they are both terrible. That's the moral of that story. Ashe has had success against mediocre competition by every standard. Monroe will be the best team they've played all season and will beat Ashe soundly. It doesn't matter if you are black or white, fact is, Monroe will just be better in my opinion.

It's not meant to be disrespectful to the Ashe folks because they've had a fine season, but do yourselves a favor and keep it in perspective.
This post was edited on 11/19 2:43 PM by GoNtheDistance

I want to know what your definition of "athlete" is and I'll be happy to answer your question. Let's not hijak this thread.

How is this hijacking this thread? The term athlete is different for different positions. The fact is size (height and weight), speed. strength, quickness, agility, great fundamental skills, the ability to do things an ordinary athlete cannot do, as well as the desire to succeed. These characteristics (traits) enable this athlete to be dominant over someone who does not possess those attributes. They are the ones who you notice when you see a game. The offensive lineman who dominates his defender. The defensive lineman who dominates his blocker, gets off and makes the tackle. The receiver who makes the diving one handed catch on an overthrown ball and who has the speed to run by defenders. The offensive back who has the speed and power to run through and around defenders. The defensive back who has outstanding speed and is a great pass defender, The linebacker who has the size and power to take on a lineman's block and get off with the speed to make the tackle. The QB who is a great passer and has the ability to see the field, and also has the speed of a halfback. Another factor in these games is how many kids a team has playing both ways. If a team is able to two platoon they have an advantage.

Ivory or not I hope Ashe throws for about 400 yds against Monroe.
I just love the fact that a mountain coach is throwing the football.
I would like for Coach Hampton to host a coaching clinic for
"mountain style coaches" and teach them how to design an
offense. Way to go Coach Hampton!!!

Stop kidding your-self, when you talk about athletic team
you are talking about teams that are predominant Black ( Monroe,
Redsville, TW Andrews, Ashville, Thomasville, Carver)!!

The fact is it goes well beyond the black and white of it. An athlete is an athlete regardless of color. It has nothing to do with track. It has everything to do with the fact that a FB player who is bigger, faster, and stronger will always have an advantage over an athlete who is smaller, slower and weaker.

This post was edited on 11/19 3:14 PM by No.1RamsFan

Glad I ruffled some feathers. Discussion is needed on this board because it has been lacking latley. Just happy we have the luxury of watching all these kids play on Friday nights.

Monroe's defense last year really impressed me. Their offense was so so but the D was the best I've seen in a long time. They were fast but more importantly they had great open field tackling. Their D-line was able to get pressure as well. Not sure what they return from that team but they were fundamentally sound on that side of the ball and that, combined with good speed made them great.

Please don't make this the great white hope theme. Everyone is just stating their opinion. Look at Ashe Co on film, then look at Monroe. Not that hard. Don't make this about race. Just look at the film, yes athletes, heck look at the caliber of teams Monroe has played compared to Ashe. Goodnight folks

I'm not sure which kids are still on this years team at Monroe but if the defense has some of those big bruisers from last year they will be hard to keep off the quarterback. The pass rush was very good against a solid East Lincoln o-line. Monroe was the only team to shutdown Chazz Surratt and he took a couple really nasty hits.

Originally posted by Champ_24:
Please don't make this the great white hope theme. Everyone is just stating their opinion. Look at Ashe Co on film, then look at Monroe. Not that hard. Don't make this about race. Just look at the film, yes athletes, heck look at the caliber of teams Monroe has played compared to Ashe. Goodnight folks
Champ, don't even try.

As for the game: Like I said, it starts up front. If and that is a big IF, Ashe can control the line of scrimmage they have a shot. Doesn't matter how fast your corners are - if a good QB has time to throw, receivers are eventually going to break free and believe me Bowers will deliver. That is a fact and indisputable. It's happened before.

It all starts up front (offensively) if all you do is run between the tackles and there are ways to negate this. It all starts up front on the DL if that is all the opposition does as well. Again Monroe can negate this as well by running plays between the tackles and the side line. Plus throwing a variety of outside quick screens (Bubble and Slip) as well as sprint out passes/runs that put a lot of pressure on the linebackers and defensive backs. Jet sweeps, options, etc. are also good options. Now if the LBers and DB's are as good as the DL and have a lot of speed and aggressiveness then you have something. It takes a complete team to win at this stage. If Ashe Co. has all of these qualities then they will do well.

This post was edited on 11/19 10:32 PM by No.1RamsFan

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
It all starts up front (offensively) if all you do is run between the tackles and there are ways to negate this. It all starts up front on the DL if that is all the opposition does as well. Again Monroe can negate this as well by running plays between the tackles and the side line. Plus throwing a variety of outside quick screens (Bubble and Slip) as well as sprint out passes/runs that put a lot of pressure on the linebackers and defensive backs. Jet sweeps, options, etc. are also good options. Now if the LBers and DB's are as good as the DL and have a lot of speed and aggressiveness then you have something. It takes a complete team to win at this stage. If Ashe Co. has all of these qualities then they will do well.

This post was edited on 11/19 10:32 PM by No.1RamsFan
Very well said. I should have specified. I was strictly talking about Ashe's offense against Monroe's defense. I expect Monroe to score on Ashe and honestly expect Monroe to win but Ashe is a solid team and deserves some respect.

Very nice an well put opinions an discussions for this board. Thanks guys. I was thinking that too as far as athletes an that is it is not just the track stars. I'm not gonna point any fingers or names or years it went on or even the school but I have seen one of the biggest track stars around the area in 100m an 200m dash pretty much stink at the rb position when he was in pads n helmet lol. Oh but goodness he was blazing on the track in the spring. So one can have super awesome speed an not know what to do with it on the field.

I'm not sure bout Monroes corners an Lb's but if they're track fast an shutdown play on the wideout then it's gonna be a long night. Only thing I've got to go by on Ashes performace against speed is Hibriten game that was canceled. Offense for the most part moved the ball when needed but Hibriten ain't Monroe either. Ashe defense very suspect to good fast running game as was evident with hibriten but HiB was playing very healthy that night too.

Some of yall say blowout loss, some close, well I say it's pretty unpredictable. If Hampton has a good game plan an defense has improved since Hibriten game, never know what kinda game it'll be. I'm favoring not pulling for but favoring a Monroe victory. Hope the best for Ashe in this one.

My comparison of Monroe to Ash Co. We will start with Andrews which played North Slurry, where Andrews beat NS 51 to12 with the second team playing the whole 4th quarter. Ash Co. played North Slurry and beat them 50 to 42. Monroe played Andrews and beat them by a score of 38 to12, with there second team playing the 4th quarter. Therefor I have concluded that Monroe is 3 and a half TD's beter than Andrews, and Andrews is 5.5 better than North Surry and Ash Co. is one TD better than NS, that makes Monore 7.5 Td's better Ash Co.My prediction is
Monroe 45 Ash Co. 7
I was there when Andrews played Monroe, and Monroe made them look like babies, and Andrews played three 4A team and should have won all three. Monroe is big and fast with the return of all of its skill players form last year.

This post was edited on 11/20 1:05 PM by HARRYT

Monroe lost a good bit in the trenches on both sides of the ball, in addition to the Wynn kid who was a Shrine Bowler. They do return quite a bit of their skill guys. They are big and fast and get after it. They are a dark horse to win the state title and seem to be playing their best ball when it counts.

Originally posted by HARRYT:
My comparison of Monroe to Ash Co. We will start with Andrews which played North Slurry, where Andrews beat NS 51 to12 with the second team playing the whole 4th quarter. Ash Co. played North Slurry and beat them 50 to 42. Monroe played Andrews and beat them by a score of 38 to12, with there second team playing the 4th quarter. Therefor I have concluded that Monroe is 3 and a half TD's beter than Andrews, and Andrews is 5.5 better than North Surry and Ash Co. is one TD better than NS, that makes Monore 7.5 Td's better Ash Co.My prediction is
Monroe 45 Ash Co. 7
I was there when Andrews played Monroe, and Monroe made them look like babies, and Andrews played three 4A team and should have won all three. Monroe is big and fast with the return of all of its skill players form last year.

This post was edited on 11/20 1:05 PM by HARRYT
Lol. I'm sorry but comparing scores is a foolish thing to do. Starmount lost to Mt Airy and destroyed East Surry. East Surry beat Mt. Airy. See what happened?

Godevilsgo
Are the two big defensive linemen starters from last year on this Monroe team?

One came back, but from some where they have a shew of big players, one was about 6'3" 345lbs
and an other About 6'8"- 275Lbs, both could really move.

This post was edited on 11/20 2:45 PM by HARRYT

This post was edited on 11/21 12:03 AM by HARRYT

I remember showing up to the state championship game last year and walking down the steps to the sideline and passed the Monroe D Line going through shed drills and thought to myself holy hell, we better be faster than they are and luckily we were but thy were the biggest team we played all of last year and this year as well which includes some 4a schools and some other schools with good size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT