ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell vs Heritage

Well if joeys boys and virnelson boys had played at Mitchell you’d be looking at at least two state championships.

I did say “Troy”. My bad. He truly had an awful game. It was very reminiscent of the Draughn game. Heritage was only able to pressure him a couple of times. Hate to tell you but many people who have kept up with sports in WNC and more specifically the WHC from Avery County believe Mitchell we’ll win.
“Poor Troy” will be just fine. Wasn’t his best night, but you won’t find many QB’s at any level that will be very successful when the defense drops 7 and 8 into coverage all night long. Hats off to Heritage. They are a good football team and they had a great scheme. “Poor Troy” still managed to throw for over 200 yards, and our defense played lights out. Instead of calling kids out by name on a message board and belittling our effort by calling our opponent weak, I recommend you take a look at last years score. Heritage is a good football team and we have made great strides in the past year. This was a measuring stick game against the top dog in the WHC. I don’t know who all these people in Avery county are you’ve talked to that thinks Mitchell will win, but I haven’t talked to any of them. Heritage is the class of the conference until proven otherwise.

“Poor Troy” will be just fine. Wasn’t his best night, but you won’t find many QB’s at any level that will be very successful when the defense drops 7 and 8 into coverage all night long. Hats off to Heritage. They are a good football team and they had a great scheme. “Poor Troy” still managed to throw for over 200 yards, and our defense played lights out. Instead of calling kids out by name on a message board and belittling our effort by calling our opponent weak, I recommend you take a look at last years score. Heritage is a good football team and we have made great strides in the past year. This was a measuring stick game against the top dog in the WHC. I don’t know who all these people in Avery county are you’ve talked to that thinks Mitchell will win, but I haven’t talked to any of them. Heritage is the class of the conference until proven otherwise.
I would have to disagree with those Avery fans who think we wont win, I still say Mitchell 35 Heritage 21, Avery at Mitchell should be interesting this year Huh

I would have to disagree with those Avery fans who think we wont win, I still say Mitchell 35 Heritage 21, Avery at Mitchell should be interesting this year Huh
I haven’t heard real strong opinions either way. I just know I haven’t heard what AHViking is saying he’s heard. It would be good for you to win and then for us to pull the upset on 11/8. ;) Until that happens, to be the man you gotta beat the man.
Your game should be a dandy. Mitchell has some big time weapons on O and Heritage has a top shelf D. I’m just glad we’re in the discussion again. The days of Avery/Mitchell being a war might be a thing once more. It’s always more fun when you can throw the records out the window and let the rivalry speak for itself.

I haven’t heard real strong opinions either way. I just know I haven’t heard what AHViking is saying he’s heard. It would be good for you to win and then for us to pull the upset on 11/8. ;) Until that happens, to be the man you gotta beat the man.
Your game should be a dandy. Mitchell has some big time weapons on O and Heritage has a top shelf D. I’m just glad we’re in the discussion again. The days of Avery/Mitchell being a war might be a thing once more. It’s always more fun when you can throw the records out the window and let the rivalry speak for itself.
I'd have to agree, Mitchell/Avery used to be the rivalry looking forward to it, as is our kids

Honestly the size of heritage and their defense will be a big challenge. We weren’t very good friday against the run. I don’t know why Owen was passing the whole first half

No Sam, we don’t stand a CHANCE. It’ll be like Alabama vs Mayland Community college.
Everyone in yancey county knows you guys have good team. Honestly think it will be dog fight. If your defense is better then last year, I think you win. If not heritage wins.

Everyone in yancey county knows you guys have good team. Honestly think it will be dog fight. If your defense is better then last year, I think you win. If not heritage wins.
I don’t think you read my comment right so I’ll help you out a bit... Alabama (Mountain Heritage) vs Mayland Community College (Mitchell).

Actually it wasn't Barnett I believe it was Tom Merritt they hired instead of Joey and it's a mystery to me why, it was a dumb decision.
Joey actually applied in 02, 07, and 14. The closest he came was in 2014. There are several reasons why he has never been considered as HC in Mitchell County, none of which i'll discuss here.

Joey actually applied in 02, 07, and 14. The closest he came was in 2014. There are several reasons why he has never been considered as HC in Mitchell County, none of which i'll discuss here.
Well it’s good to know you are on the school board and have a direct line to the AD and Principal of the school. I’m sure the Mitchell fan base appreciate all of your knowledge.

I just find it very odd that reasons for employment within the school system being communicated to forum posters, fans, parents and boosters would not be a very good way to do a coaches search. Guess I will just remain a fan in the stands until Yancey County decides to bring me in on those specifics. You must be further up the totem pole than I.

Joey has done a good job in Burnsville, so has Pittman at Mitchell, I'm really impressed with what the coach at Avery has accomplished more than either, it took Joey 6 years to win, this guy did it in a little over a season, gonna be an interesting few weeks for sure, proud of these young Mountaineers

I just find it very odd that reasons for employment within the school system being communicated to forum posters, fans, parents and boosters would not be a very good way to do a coaches search. Guess I will just remain a fan in the stands until Yancey County decides to bring me in on those specifics. You must be further up the totem pole than I.
I myself am not competent enough to coach the game of football. The x's and o's are beyond me. However, I have several close friends in the school system, and I know what I'm talking here. Joey is a good coach, and a good fit for Yancey County, just not for Mitchell. Let's just leave it at that.

Reactions: Purple1995
I myself am not competent enough to coach the game of football. The x's and o's are beyond me. However, I have several close friends in the school system, and I know what I'm talking here. Joey is a good coach, and a good fit for Yancey County, just not for Mitchell. Let's just leave it at that.

hiring Joey would’ve been the perfect fit. When they hired Merritt. It was a huge miss and Joey turned us down in 14 and 07

I think it has potential to be a slugfest but the "Hole" and that line and defense will be hard to overcome.

As far as playing in the pit or hole other then the inconvenience for the Mitchell fans as sometimes not enough sitting room doesn't really bother me. The Mitchell fans are actually closer to the players as far them hearing or feeling support from the fans then they are at home and if like the last time it was there, the ticket lady told me they sold something around 4,000 tickets to the Mitchell side that's about 25% of the county population. Of course one thing is for sure win or lose Mtn Heritage will make a good gate Friday night.

As far as playing in the pit or hole other then the inconvenience for the Mitchell fans as sometimes not enough sitting room doesn't really bother me. The Mitchell fans are actually closer to the players as far them hearing or feeling support from the fans then they are at home and if like the last time it was there, the ticket lady told me they sold something around 4,000 tickets to the Mitchell side that's about 25% of the county population. Of course one thing is for sure win or lose Mtn Heritage will make a good gate Friday night.

they should make more in one night than they’ll get in the rest of the conference schedule

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Heritage JVs bringing the lumber tonight. Future looking bright for Heritage. 32-14. #10 and #5 for Heritage had monster games.

Heritage JVs bringing the lumber tonight. Future looking bright for Heritage. 32-14. #10 and #5 for Heritage had monster games.

While I'm sure MH does have a bright future, this is about what I expected tonight. Mitchell usually doesn't have a good JV record like most 1A schools that even have a JV team the better sophomores play varsity plus this year it didn't help that the injury bug hit at the beginning of the season including the starting freshman QB.

How many sophomores did Mitchell have to move up this year? Just a question. I think we have moved up 2 or 3 for the entire season as well plus like all schools have some guys dressed and working on their 8 quarters on Friday Nights. Mitchell had a JV receiver that made a couple of very good catches.

Game day has arrived. There are/will be lots of excited and nervous young men who walk the halls of both schools today. There will be talk of the game in most, if not all, stores in the 2 counties today. Trash talk among friends will peak. Excitement will continue to build as the crowd builds. One side or the other, players. coaches, and fans will be extremely happy by the time the game ends. The other will be disappointed, some will be upset, some making outlandish excuses, others blaming players, coaches, refs, the ole mule out in the pasture, a chicken perched on a fence, anything they can to justify the travesty they just witnessed.

But through it all let's all remember these are 15-18 year old young men playing a game that will all too soon just be a memory.

Good luck to all involved and safe travels to the fans. Hopefully NO one gets injured and parents and fans conduct themselves in a manner that those on the field can look up to.

Go Mountaineers......beat the green

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT