ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell vs Heritage

I think we should have won 3 of the last 4 but got outcoached, Joey took Mitchell football to Yancey and built a program, please Mitchell coaching staff just this once let the kids on the field call the shots, at least try it a couple of drives anyway
Oh lord help me! Now there’s a Mitchell fan asking for the coaches to let the players call the plays! Not like the Mitchell staff has one a few games. Geez!

I know what this team is capable of. A victory on Friday night would bring it to everyone else's attention. I really don't believe there is a small 1a team that is better, and IMO, East Surry vs Mitchell would be a dog fight. But, we've been thru that before, cough, 2017...
Keep coughing it was 2015 when East and Mitchell almost met. However this years team is far better than that 2015 team was. Goodluck keeping up if we meet. Apparently your own fans are looking for a 28 point moral victory!

Keep coughing it was 2015 when East and Mitchell almost met. However this years team is far better than that 2015 team was. Goodluck keeping up if we meet. Apparently your own fans are looking for a 28 point moral victory!
Nah just the dumb ones. But a tight game against heritage is usually enough for Mitchell to go deep.

from the outside looking in you Mitchell fans have already lost the game before you play it., come on people your undefeated get behind your coaches and team at least muster up the courage to think your going to win !!! Polk people look forward to these kinda games we don't dread them !!

Reactions: Mopar forever

I don’t think you understand who Mountain Heritage is. They are the New England Patriots of the WHC. Dominating defense after dominating defense. Year after year. You guys just don’t understand the magnitude of a “28 point moral victory”. This MH team in particular will run rough shot through the 2a playoffs. I love my mountaineers but sometimes you have to face reality. The reality is that there is no running from this stifling defense known as “Hurricane Black”.

Reactions: Mhsneer
from the outside looking in you Mitchell fans have already lost the game before you play it., come on people your undefeated get behind your coaches and team at least muster up the courage to think your going to win !!! Polk people look forward to these kinda games we don't dread them !!
Half these posters are just baiting, the other half know Mitchell has a great chance to win. One or two are just trolls.

gotcha , I would hope they had better fans than that , I just like good football and we have to play y'all both and we expect a dog fight in both of them., but that's what makes you better going threw adversity

I don't dread this game it's a great rivalry and more often then not a close game and I'm sure this one will be no different. I do just get a little frustrated with the play calling from people who usually in the other games does a good job. Just play your type of football, don't change for this one game and try to play MH type of football . Mitchell I really believe has the talent to win this game, but they can't be one dimensional they need to mixed it up. Last year at the end of the first half Pittman threw a 65 yard pass to McKinney and I thought they'd woke up but they went right back to the run in the second half. But no talent wise Mitchell has no reason to be afraid of MH and I don't believe they are.

By the way, I think Mitchell has the best coaching staff in WNC, I just have that much confidence in this years group, great QB, definitely smart enough to see what's coming, coaches will send every play in like always, if everyone does their job, we win, if not hope coaching staff has a backup plan, either way better get there early not much seating

Definitely could be a decline in speed in about 3 or 4 years. We have some good speed in skilled players on the JV squad now or at least good potential if they keep progressing. Could very well see a period in next 3-5 years where Polk and Owen move back to power players in the conference. And Polk may already be there.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Definitely could be a decline in speed in about 3 or 4 years. We have some good speed in skilled players on the JV squad now or at least good potential if they keep progressing. Could very well see a period in next 3-5 years where Polk and Owen move back to power players in the conference. And Polk may already be there.

Yeah, think you are correct. This year’s Mitchell middle school team had a very good line but not a lot of speed behind it. Kids can develop but I can see a drop in overall talent. Not slamming the kids here but it has been a good run of talent across both sides of the river.
I think Polk is back but not sure on Owen. The Owen JV group is talented. Qb can flat sling it. Good size along the line(dwarfed Mitchell). But after that group it could get interesting. As others have mentioned Owen had no middle school team this season, due to little to no interest. Disturbing trend that is playing out everywhere.

Anyway back to this week. Sure wish Deana would change the color scheme here way too much green at least for this week anyway.

Go Mountaineers

Since you guys mentioned Middle School. Avery Middle went undefeated this year after beating Mitchell this week. Wonder when the last time that happened for Avery.

Wish I could see this game. Should be a good one. Hopefully both teams come out injury free.

Last edited:
Yeah, think you are correct. This year’s Mitchell middle school team had a very good line but not a lot of speed behind it. Kids can develop but I can see a drop in overall talent. Not slamming the kids here but it has been a good run of talent across both sides of the river.
I think Polk is back but not sure on Owen. The Owen JV group is talented. Qb can flat sling it. Good size along the line(dwarfed Mitchell). But after that group it could get interesting. As others have mentioned Owen had no middle school team this season, due to little to no interest. Disturbing trend that is playing out everywhere.

Anyway back to this week. Sure wish Deana would change the color scheme here way too much green at least for this week anyway.

Go Mountaineers

The injury bug hit the middle school they lost 5 players early in the season.

Mitchell fans trying to convince their self they can beat heritage lol.

you guys are just getting back at us for a lifetime of butt kickings we delivered to ya in football. If y’all hadn’t hired a Mitchell guy you’d still be getting your butts handed to you. Y’all couldn’t number a defense until we came over and showed y’all how.

Reactions: -Mitchell-

Go Mountaineers

I think Mitchell for the next 4 years will be ok. Could have a great team in two years. After that who knows. I think across the board the kids coming up from youth league aren’t as good. The last 5 years has spoiled both sides of the river for sure.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
you guys are just getting back at us for a lifetime of butt kickings we delivered to ya in football. If y’all hadn’t hired a Mitchell guy you’d still be getting your butts handed to you. Y’all couldn’t number a defense until we came over and showed y’all how.
And they can keep him.

Funny how middle school is brought up more since county’s are having to combine the middle schools. Not saying all small counties will not be doing that soon but a combined EY and CR team most likely would have won the conference this year also.

Funny how middle school is brought up more since county’s are having to combine the middle schools. Not saying all small counties will not be doing that soon but a combined EY and CR team most likely would have won the conference this year also.
Yeah, that would have been a good possibility this year, the last 2 wouldn't have mattered though

Yeah Mitchell’s team last year was good I agree. Both freshman and sophomore classes are playing really well as a group right now.

Middle school nor jv is a good indicator of varsity results. When you combine all 4 groups in high school it’s really how well they compliment each other.

My boss man coached yancey 5th and 6th grade for years. Last year was his last. We have both agreed that yancey needs to combine football too. That way we could add Watauga in middle school, like in the younger classes, and have the conference bowl again. This Wade Shehan "all county" bowl is bs.

Middle school nor jv is a good indicator of varsity results. When you combine all 4 groups in high school it’s really how well they compliment each other.
You are right, think of all those undefeated Harris and Cane River teams that struggled on varsity in high school, then skip forward to 08 09 Cougars and 11 mountaineers, those kids kept playing, a lot have already quit in our Sophomore class, it shows

Yeah. Kids are developing in all different ways and when they get in high school they Sometimes bail on sports. I think a lot of it is how much they play now as opposed to back in the day. Football started in 5th grade and basketball in 4th. Back then playing sports kept you from putting up hay or other grubbish work. Now kids are lucky to get to the refrigerator without passing out from exhaustion.

My boss man coached yancey 5th and 6th grade for years. Last year was his last. We have both agreed that yancey needs to combine football too. That way we could add Watauga in middle school, like in the younger classes, and have the conference bowl again. This Wade Shehan "all county" bowl is bs.
Not sure I would call it BS. Coach Sheehan has been a big part of the success at MH football by having his guys ready when they hit the high school and already knowing most of the blocking schemes and plays before the first practice they attend. I can see some benefits of combining but numbers already dwindling in Mtn. areas I think I would hold off until we have to. If you have 35 or 40 players between the 2 schools my fear is that all those not getting playing time will quit. If you go into high school with only 22-24 players getting any game time depth will greatly become an issue. You all had a good JV quarterback but with an injury it greatly jeopardizes the JV season as you can tell. If you had enough players to continue both programs there would have been a backup with a lot of game experience to step in. We would be hurt by the JV QB ever getting hurt as well, but there are kids that know the plays from that position plus a lot more RBs and receivers with experience to help carry the load. My fear would be the 20+ players that get all the playing time in middle school would be all you had left playing in high school. Do you all still have everyone staying until senior year even if they just stand on sidelines from 7th grade on? Just a question. I could see that driving more kids away from team sports by combining.

Yeah. Kids are developing in all different ways and when they get in high school they Sometimes bail on sports. I think a lot of it is how much they play now as opposed to back in the day. Football started in 5th grade and basketball in 4th. Back then playing sports kept you from putting up hay or other grubbish work. Now kids are lucky to get to the refrigerator without passing out from exhaustion.
Very good points for sure. It really takes a special group of athletes to spend the extra time on a specific sport that is necessary in today’s sports to be very good. Both counties have been blessed with some good work ethic from kids in various sports over the past 10 years. Kids make choices to concentrate on 1 or 2 sports and you can see it affect the others. Where Mitchell may have been down some in basketball, Heritage has experienced the same in baseball. Small schools have a tough time in getting 9-10 guys minimum to buy in on sports like baseball and basketball and give up their summers to try to get better. It’s very rare that a school can win all of the big 3 sports in men’s and the big 3 in women’s all in the same year. Not sure how long it has been since that happened in the WHC. Football, Volleyball, Men and Women's basketball, Baseball and Softball. Maybe someone that is good at looking up the history can see if that has happened ever.

I can’t remember winning all 3 in men’s. Heritage sure has done it in football and basketball lately. I can say in the 90s Mitchell girls did it in volleyball softball and basketball. Karen cook was hall of fame. Would have been cool to watch her and Suzy go at it the past 20 years.

Reactions: Heritage 84
As bad as Heritage is in Averys mind, you would think they could have won easily. Easy to throw 5 TD passes when playing a team without a defense. Yes we accidentally picked off those passes. Please thank The QB for throwing them right to us. We were only standing around in the field with our hands in our pockets. Our Defense is terrible and your Offense is spectacular.

y’all got pockets in your football pants?!?! COOL!!

Not sure I would call it BS. Coach Sheehan has been a big part of the success at MH football by having his guys ready when they hit the high school and already knowing most of the blocking schemes and plays before the first practice they attend. I can see some benefits of combining but numbers already dwindling in Mtn. areas I think I would hold off until we have to. If you have 35 or 40 players between the 2 schools my fear is that all those not getting playing time will quit. If you go into high school with only 22-24 players getting any game time depth will greatly become an issue. You all had a good JV quarterback but with an injury it greatly jeopardizes the JV season as you can tell. If you had enough players to continue both programs there would have been a backup with a lot of game experience to step in. We would be hurt by the JV QB ever getting hurt as well, but there are kids that know the plays from that position plus a lot more RBs and receivers with experience to help carry the load. My fear would be the 20+ players that get all the playing time in middle school would be all you had left playing in high school. Do you all still have everyone staying until senior year even if they just stand on sidelines from 7th grade on? Just a question. I could see that driving more kids away from team sports by combining.
It has hurt Mitchell combining middle schools, a lot of kids quit cause they ain't getting quality play time, I dont see Yancey combining anytime soon, too many politics over there LOL, Mitchell is actually building a new middle school and jumped the gun a couple of years back by combining early mainly because of poor turnout at Bowman that year(I think 10 or 11 came out) Avery combined because Jamie Johnson wanted to, he pretty much coached all the rec kids all the way up, so he took over the middle school program as well, Avery seems on track right now, I'm betting Paul Johnson is somewhere in the background better watch out for em next year for sure

Sheehan is a good coach and is tough on his boys. They seem to like and respect him. I agree he’s a big part of mhhs success

Sheehan is a good coach and is tough on his boys. They seem to like and respect him. I agree he’s a big part of mhhs success
This is True the kids like Shehan, hard not to be successful though with Madison feeding them their best athletes for the past few years, and some from Mitchell as well, although it seems that has came to a screeching halt, at least I haven't heard of any this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT