ADVERTISEMENT

Mideastern Conference predictions

1) Hoggard- Their def will carry them them until their O line gels. They have a solid non conference scd so they should be battle tested for conf play. Their def could be very good this year. Y. Andrews may be POY at LB and Mackenzie Frazier is a future star.
2) NH- They will good players on offense and should put up points. What offense will they run? Word is they will continue to open things up. Their def will be their big question mark.
3) Laney- They have the conf best running back and Laney will not be scared to use him. Laney didn't have a lot of talented skill players last year and that will continue this season. Laney will have some skilled poss players coming up the next 2-3 year, if they stay.
4) WB- They will have a new coach but they always have good size and skill.
5)- SB- They made huge improvements last year and I see that continuing.
6)- Ashley- Turner will turn things around and this team will be better.
7)- Topsail- They lost a lot of talent off a team I felt underachieved.
Well conference play starts Friday. Above was my predictions before he season started. I think WB has a good chance to jump Laney and AHS has a chance to jump SB.
Hoggard has played a very tough SCD as has NH. NH will not be able to run on the Vikes so it will come down to their passing game. Winner take all.

Port
Who does Hoggard play?
WB appears to be hot and cold. I was impressed with early and then had some head scratching losses. Depends on which team shows up. Who knows about Ashley and South Brunswick.
NH travels to play the powerhouse Purnell Swett team!!!

We play SB.
WB beat a quality NB team. A loss at Whiteville isn't too bad. NMB lost to Socastee but they may be figuring things out since their early struggles. They lost to #7 MB by 2. I think Turner is a quality coach. He has already made a big diff and that will continue. AHS may beat SB and Topsail.

Port
We agree on something!! Turner has a bright future as a coach, just too early to tell if it will be at Ashley. He has to change to culture there and try to keep the players that should be going to Ashley. Can Turner and Ashley both have the patience to give it time or does Turner take his talent elsewhere? Time will tell.

I don't think AHS will compete for a conf championship any time soon but I do see them beating teams that they should beat and upsetting some other teams just like last week. They will be play with better discipline and they will win games and then the culture will change.

hoterhand, do you still think Topsail will surprise some people? Anotehr tough loss Friday night
Topsail is short on athletes and their best athletes are freshman and sophomores. They have a good O-line, a good mix of RB's and a sophomore QB who is smart. Montano the freshman RB is going to be a good one once he gains some strength. They are avg 320 yards on offense and but also 100 yards a game in penalties. They could definitely be a playoff surprise if they get there and have worked out the penalties. I'm interested to see how this conference schedule plays out because I think there will be surprises all around.

Topsail has beat two 1A schools and a 2A school. None of which are football schools. They get hammered by 2A Croatan and 3A Jacksonvile. You can ride the topsail train if you want too. I will pass.

Topsail has beat two 1A schools and a 2A school. None of which are football schools. They get hammered by 2A Croatan and 3A Jacksonvile. You can ride the topsail train if you want too. I will pass.
"Ride the Train"? What does gathering and passing on info have to do with riding the train? Port don't cross that line with me because you will not be hard to find. Waiting for your reply.......

If only you guys. Had a crystal ball. Look at records now. Earl Smith is great coach. Hanover has a program year in and out. So does Hoggard. I would like to see WB SB
and Ashley win some games.
Port what has been Ashley problem in football all these years? They have good numbers there,good coachs,I thought it could be admins. FAULT. Carolina beach is great location.

"Ride the Train"? What does gathering and passing on info have to do with riding the train? Port don't cross that line with me because you will not be hard to find. Waiting for your reply.......
Don't cross what line? You have been saying Topsail is your sleeper team and they will surprise the conf, then you post their stats. Those stats don't impress me. As far as finding me, you're right, I'm not,hard to find.

They are sure in the drivers seat. The only team I see giving them a game would be WB. They usually play NH well. WB will have an uphill battle but they will have the athletes in the secondary to match up better than Haggard did

They are sure in the drivers seat. The only team I see giving them a game would be WB. They usually play NH well. WB will have an uphill battle but they will have the athletes in the secondary to match up better than Haggard did
WB can't even beat lowly unassuming Topsail who will not surprise anyone by the way! Laney is the only conference competition left for the wildcats.

WB can't even beat lowly unassuming Topsail who will not surprise anyone by the way! Laney is the only conference competition left for the wildcats.
Big win for Topsail. I don't see Laney giving NH a game. Laney is too one dimensional. Let's see if Topsail has a let down against AHS.

Big win for Topsail. I don't see Laney giving NH a game. Laney is too one dimensional. Let's see if Topsail has a let down against AHS.
I wouldn't see a loss to Ashley as a letdown. NH and Hoggard, and I say this very lightly, are the conference heavyweights with Laney a step behind and every other school in the mix for 4th place. Records mean nothing once the conference schedule starts up. And the Eagles should be fired up since it's their homecoming. And to say Laney is one dimensional is inaccurate, they will show you that if needed.

Last edited:
Went to the NH-Laney game.
It was a game just to get over without getting anyone hurt. Field was a mess. Looked like a 4x4 foot crater at midfield that any pig would have loved. Players had trouble running on the edge without losing footing. Hard to tell where the sideline was.
But it was a win and move on to West Brunswick Friday at Legion.
As far as seeding, nice to talk about a #1 seed but lots would have to happen including winning out and Scotland going West.
Good to see Keegan Santos back for NH. Starting RB first game of the season and hurt his shoulder in the game. Cleared to play against Hoggard but held him out till tonite. He had a couple of long runs tonite. Always good to have a power back down the stretch.

Went to the NH-Laney game.
It was a game just to get over without getting anyone hurt. Field was a mess. Looked like a 4x4 foot crater at midfield that any pig would have loved. Players had trouble running on the edge without losing footing. Hard to tell where the sideline was.
But it was a win and move on to West Brunswick Friday at Legion.
As far as seeding, nice to talk about a #1 seed but lots would have to happen including winning out and Scotland going West.
Good to see Keegan Santos back for NH. Starting RB first game of the season and hurt his shoulder in the game. Cleared to play against Hoggard but held him out till tonite. He had a couple of long runs tonite. Always good to have a power back down the stretch.
I don't know why Laney would play that game on that field. They have ruined the field now and it will be crappy the rest of the season. NH would really have to drop the ball to lose a game now. With WB losing to Topsail who then got hammered by AHS, I just don't see any problems. NH should try to put teams away early and stay healthy.
Santos is a good player, his little brother plays at Trask (middle school) and has been injured most of the year as well.

I don't think so. It doesn't surprise me with who they have played. I think they will give Laney a game and if they can generate some points they may pull the upset. I don't see them beating Hoggard or NH.

Hoggard has WB, AHS, Topsail. What drama heading into the end of the season. I don't know if I can take it.

Let's go back to Hoggard/New Hanover to wrap up the regular season. We decided the conference championship way too early. At least as weak as the conference is.

I hate our conf the way it is. It is not fair to the 3A schools and it doesn't help the 4A schools.

WHat a awful conference this year. They neED to get the 3A teams out of the conference and get new bern, Greenville and dh Connley . That would be a stron g conference, but I heard Rosr complained about the travel time when hey were in mid eastern conference a coiple years ago

WHat a awful conference this year. They neED to get the 3A teams out of the conference and get new bern, Greenville and dh Connley . That would be a stron g conference, but I heard Rosr complained about the travel time when hey were in mid eastern conference a coiple years ago

They complain about everything.

Absolutely. I miss going to New Hanover and Hoggard, not so much Laney with their sprinkler tricks and all but yea. Rather go to Wilmington than Goldsboro but it is what it is.

Best wishes and speedy recovery to Hoggard's kicker Caleb Kuhne who suffered major knee damage against West Brunswick on Friday night. Great kid.

Shout out to the Ashley Boosters Club who donated the proceeds of their 50/50 raffle against NH to the the medical fund for the Meehans and Wests who were hit by a car while walking home in their neighborhood. The Meehan's sone is the NH JV QB and Frank Meehan is a former NH head Football coach. NH Lacrosse coach also injured in the hit and run. Class act for Ashley!!!

Reactions: portcity FB
WHat a awful conference this year. They neED to get the 3A teams out of the conference and get new bern, Greenville and dh Connley . That would be a stron g conference, but I heard Rosr complained about the travel time when hey were in mid eastern conference a coiple years ago[/QUO I THINK WE PLAY IN THE TWO WEAKEST CONFERECES IN THE STATE. .

ThAt was a nice Gesture by ASHley to donated they money for Those hIt and Run victims. Very Sad story and SpeedY recovery AS well For THe HoggArd kicker.

IF the Wilmington schools, New berm Conlley and Rise formed a conference ... I THink would be one of the Strongerst conferences in Eastern North Carolina. It won't happen DUE to travel time and school s complaining.

Port
Hoggard should have their way passing against Ashley tomorrow. Their only good cover guy is not allowed back on Hoggard's campus. Still haven't figured out how he is allowed to play but has such restrictions. Corbett is their only remaining cover guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT