ADVERTISEMENT

Mideastern Conference predictions

Screamin' Monk

Apr 29, 2004
What do you think?

1. New Hanover (Is this their year? Division I tight end, strong O-line and solid QB ... Not much on the defensive side of the ball, but a great coach in Earl Smith)
2. Hoggard (Lost Braswell, but staff is still strong. Lost the best offensive and defensive players not only at the school, but in the conference. A lot of question marks ... QB,O-line, RB and WR just on the offensive side of the ball)
3. Laney (Biggest school in the conference, but never in the championship picture. Solid QB to replace Lane and Weeks will probably be the best RB in the conference this year)
4. South Brunswick (Really liked what Finn did last year and players use to his system could be trouble for several teams)
5. West Brunswick ( Always a good group of athletes, but keeping a coach at the school has been an issue - four coaches in four years)
6. Ashley (Jeff Turner a good hire, but already hearing some parents don't care for his coaching style ... Can't see another 0-11 season, but it won't be much better)
7. Topsail (Inman is the longest active coach in the Mideastern conference at three years ... Doesn't help much when the talent is lacking)

1) Hoggard- Their def will carry them them until their O line gels. They have a solid non conference scd so they should be battle tested for conf play. Their def could be very good this year. Y. Andrews may be POY at LB and Mackenzie Frazier is a future star.
2) NH- They will good players on offense and should put up points. What offense will they run? Word is they will continue to open things up. Their def will be their big question mark.
3) Laney- They have the conf best running back and Laney will not be scared to use him. Laney didn't have a lot of talented skill players last year and that will continue this season. Laney will have some skilled poss players coming up the next 2-3 year, if they stay.
4) WB- They will have a new coach but they always have good size and skill.
5)- SB- They made huge improvements last year and I see that continuing.
6)- Ashley- Turner will turn things around and this team will be better.
7)- Topsail- They lost a lot of talent off a team I felt underachieved.

Port, what is Hoggard's non conference schedule? I still think Hoggard is a year away from being back to it's old self ... Young team this year. The usual transfer here and there with a solid core at New Hanover gives them an edge over Hoggard (IMHO), but the matchup of the Wildcats offense against the Viking defense will be interesting.

Does Hoggard have anything on offense? They lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball.

Port, what is Hoggard's non conference schedule? I still think Hoggard is a year away from being back to it's old self ... Young team this year. The usual transfer here and there with a solid core at New Hanover gives them an edge over Hoggard (IMHO), but the matchup of the Wildcats offense against the Viking defense will be interesting.

Does Hoggard have anything on offense? They lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball.

Not Port but know the sched and it is solid..

Holly Springs
At Seventy-First
Pine Forest
At Charlotte Christian
Clinton

Hey Port,
Who does Hoggard have back on defense this year? Have they named a starting QB? Didn't know if the Johnson kid was going to play this year?

Hey Port,
Who does Hoggard have back on defense this year? Have they named a starting QB? Didn't know if the Johnson kid was going to play this year?
Hoggard had a strong 6 man rotation on the D line last season. They return 4 of those guys. They also had a strong 5 man rotation at LB and return 4 of them. They return most of the D backs. Johnson has not shown up to any FB activity and that will not change now. I think Bryant, who was backup last season is the starter for now but the QB from JV will probably get some snaps too.

Looked at New Hanover's non conference schedule and they have some tough games as well

Hoke County
Socastee
Havelock
Scotland County
Purnell Swett

When New Hanover and Hoggard meet in week #6 ... Both could have at least two losses.

Port,
Is the DB that ran into some legal issues going to Ashley as rumored? Also wasn't Sasser the backup QB last year?

Port,
Is the DB that ran into some legal issues going to Ashley as rumored? Also wasn't Sasser the backup QB last year?
I heard he will be transferring to AHS. .A lot of he said she said but either way it isn't good. Big loss for Hoggard. Sasser's first name is Bryant so we are talking about the same guy.

Well, looking at the Starnews... Hanover has a video of body to body contact!! Guess rules don't apply to them!! And it's clearly body to body!!

Reactions: dirty stallion
Port,
All loyalties aside I think we all wish nothing but the best for this young man. That's why we support our teams to help these young men succeed in life.

Reactions: portcity FB
Does anybody know the schedule for the BB&T jamboree this year?

I heard Ashley Vs West Brunswick & New Hanover Vs Whiteville .... I don't know the rest of the schedule.

Couldn't find anything on the internet

I love these early predictions. None of which are very accurate or "homeboy" picks. I'm going to keep bumping this post up during the year so when the time is right you'll know how....you get the idea.

Reactions: swett2victory
hotterhand, didn't you win the Star News high school contest? Of all the people making predictions .... I think yours would hold the most weight. ;)

I love these early predictions. None of which are very accurate or "homeboy" picks. I'm going to keep bumping this post up during the year so when the time is right you'll know how....you get the idea.
ilike_400x400.jpg

hotterhand, didn't you win the Star News high school contest? Of all the people making predictions .... I think yours would hold the most weight. ;)
Yes Monk I did win the Pickem but there are too many question marks with this years teams to consider making predictions. That's a good way to look foolish. I'm going to get a few wrong before the teams identify themselves on how they play. Looking forward to watching the teams develop.

Yea, wait til week 6 or 7, that's a lot of fun.

BB&T Jamboree schedule
South Columbus-Laney (edge to Bucs)
WRH-Hoggard (Bulldogs will have at least 2 long TD runs, edge to Bulldogs)
West Brunswick-Ashley (edge to Trojans)
Whiteville-New Hanover (Wildcats by 2 tds, wolfpack not as talented)
South Brunswick-North Brunswick (edge to Scorps)

Even though Hoggard lost a good bit including their coach, but I still think they'll win the conference. If not Hoggard than New Hanover will probably take it.

Does it really matter the wil 2 nh. Hog will beat up on the others and thier yearly beating in the bern. I enjoy hometeam trot having to report on the bears winning again.we had aget yr.seeing the the huggies. Wt h mike do his thing.

New Hanover WILL win the conference.
So you have changed your mind and made a prediction before conference play?
The conference is def a two team race. It would not surprise me if NH wins the conf this year. I am hearing Smith is going to run the offense out of the spread like the Cats are use to but he plans on running it a lot more. I am also hearing NH doesn't have quality RB's this season. That isn't a good formula for winning the conference. Hoggard run def should be very strong. We will see.

So you have changed your mind and made a prediction before conference play?
The conference is def a two team race. It would not surprise me if NH wins the conf this year. I am hearing Smith is going to run the offense out of the spread like the Cats are use to but he plans on running it a lot more. I am also hearing NH doesn't have quality RB's this season. That isn't a good formula for winning the conference. Hoggard run def should be very strong. We will see.
Hanover's strength this year is a Senior Led offensive line. Hopefully that will open holes for the running back's and give Estes time to throw.

Port,
The Hoggard/New Bern scrimmage hasn't gotten much print. Any thoughts about tonight?

Port,
The Hoggard/New Bern scrimmage hasn't gotten much print. Any thoughts about tonight?
Two teams that lost a ton! NB has shown they can reload quickly but I don't see them being a top team this year. Coaches from NB have stated they will be way down. What does that mean for NB? I don't know, maybe they mean from a state contender to a top 10 team. Hoggard doesn't usually show much in scrimmages including the Jamboree. Hoggard will prob be working the O line with running plays. Where O line is NH strength it is Hoggards biggest concern. Last year Hughes did most of the damage in the scrimmage and Kandare (FB) did most of the damage for Hoggard. Hughes went on to have an All state season and Kandare carried the ball 7 times the entire season. Hoggard def should be good and NB lost a lot of lineman and of course Hughes. As bad as Hughes burned us last season, no one else did anything against us. NB lost 9 of their top 10 tacklers from their great def last season. I see a low scoring scrimmage with both teams working on plays for a lot of young players.

Two teams that lost a ton! NB has shown they can reload quickly but I don't see them being a top team this year. Coaches from NB have stated they will be way down. What does that mean for NB? I don't know, maybe they mean from a state contender to a top 10 team. Hoggard doesn't usually show much in scrimmages including the Jamboree. Hoggard will prob be working the O line with running plays. Where O line is NH strength it is Hoggards biggest concern. Last year Hughes did most of the damage in the scrimmage and Kandare (FB) did most of the damage for Hoggard. Hughes went on to have an All state season and Kandare carried the ball 7 times the entire season. Hoggard def should be good and NB lost a lot of lineman and of course Hughes. As bad as Hughes burned us last season, no one else did anything against us. NB lost 9 of their top 10 tacklers from their great def last season. I see a low scoring scrimmage with both teams working on plays for a lot of young players.
DO THINK THAT WE WOULD TELL YOU THE TRUTH . WE AIN,T THAT HONEST OR CRAZY

Port, you are right about coaches being very vanilla during scrimmages. That being said ... It's hard to hide O line play. It will be interesting how well New Hanover and Hoggard will do at the jamboree in that department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT