ADVERTISEMENT

MEC Week 9

This has to be one of the worst conferences in the state of North Carolina. You have two 4A schools that struggle against 2A schools disguised as 3A schools and two 4A schools (I consider New Hanover 4A - largest 3A school and new numbers now have it larger than some 4A schools that I have heard) that are light years ahead of everybody else. I wish when they do realignment in the next several years they do away with split conferences (I know they won't) and bring back New Bern and Rose .... Add Conley and South Central in there too. I know travel distance is a big complaint, but good football in the Mideastern conference has to wait until the end of the season (New Hanover/Hoggard) This is awful football in southeastern North Carolina for the so called heavyweights (4A). Coach Smith and Coach Underwood should get a lot of praise for keeping their kids motivated to play every week against the "Washington Generals".

Last edited:
I totally agree. It makes for some poor FB games. It also kills these small teams. Many 3A schools don't play any 4A schools but the small teams in this conf have to basically play 4. Not good for anyone.

This has to be one of the worst conferences in the state of North Carolina. You have two 4A schools that struggle against 2A schools disguised as 3A schools and two 4A schools (I consider New Hanover 4A - largest 3A school and new numbers now have it larger than some 4A schools that I have heard) that are light years ahead of everybody else. I wish when they do realignment in the next several years they do away with split conferences (I know they won't) and bring back New Bern and Rose .... Add Conley and South Central in there too. I know travel distance is a big complaint, but good football in the Mideastern conference has to wait until the end of the season (New Hanover/Hoggard) This is awful football in southeastern North Carolina for the so called heavyweights (4A). Coach Smith and Coach Underwood should get a lot of praise for keeping their kids motivated to play every week against the "Washington Generals".
I agree that this conference is top heavy but it will not stay like that because things never stay the same. The talent cycle always comes and goes too just like when West Brunswick beat Hanover last year. In ten years the population growth in Hampstead and Brunswick county will probably change the classification of Topsail, West and North Brunswick to 4A and if the proposal to build a high school near Porters Neck gains momentum that would redistrict a lot of Hoggard and Laney kids. The dominance you see this year by New Hanover and Hoggard happening at the same time has not happen in a while and I hope they both can make a deep run because I love some playoff football and road trips to state championships.

Reactions: Trench Fighter
There is ebb and flow to the Mideastern conference, but New Hanover and Hoggard will be at the top and have been since the 3A/4A were combined several years ago. Yes, Topsail, West Brunswick, South Brunswick and North Brunswick will have a special year ... But it seems like it happens once every 10 years. hotter, I agree and expect those schools outside of New Hanover to grow, but how long is that going to take and I don't see a new high school being approved in New Hanover county anytime soon ( it has been talked about for 10 years and doesn't appear to have picked up traction). I'm also looking forward to New Hanover/Hoggard game and the playoffs, but we are waiting three more weeks for any real excitement happens.

NH county is so small land wise they don't need another HS. Laney is at 2300 and could hold more, the problem there is parking. I have heard the county may turn Trask middle into Laney 9th grade. If they do that than Laney will be able to accommodate 800 more kids. Hoggard is at 1800 and they had 2800 before Ashley was built. Ashley is at 1900 and its bigger than Hoggard. NH has 1600 and can hold 2500 plus easy. If kids are having to drive 20 miles I get it but thats not the case here. No need for a new HS for 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT