ADVERTISEMENT

measurements?

I did see one measurement. She said I came up a little short but we'd still give it a go.

yes.gif

We measured twice in the game I worked last night. Both were first downs by a few inches.
i was wondering because i had not seen one all year and had heard on a radio show that the networks are discouraging measurements because they slow down the games

i was wondering because i had not seen one all year and had heard on a radio show that the networks are discouraging measurements because they slow down the games
Now that you mention it does seem less than previous years. Side judge is usually quick to signal first down and both sides just accept it. At least from watching college ball. Panthers killed my NFL time.

One reason you are seeing fewer measurements is because schools are doing a better job (for the most part) of lining their fields. When I first started doing this (many moons ago), it was a luxury to work a game on a field that was painted instead of being marked with field chalk. And, even the painted fields back then seldom marked the individual yard lines (tick marks); they just marked every 5 yards.

Over time, more schools started marking the individual lines, and now it's a rarity to work on a field that doesn't have them. With the tick marks (provided they are straight), it's a lot easier for us to tell whether or not the line to gain has been reached.

As for "the networks discouraging measurements", I have worked a few high school TV games, and have never been told anything about avoiding measurements by the broadcast folks. However, I don't know what the big boys (NCAA, NFL) have been told by ESPN, ABC, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT