ADVERTISEMENT

MaxPreps 4A Top 25 Predictions Week 10

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
Last week, I was 20-2 for the predictions. For the season I'm at 150-20-1.
This week we have five games between teams that are in the Top 25. The predictions are below.

1. Richmond 56 Lumberton 7

2. Myers Park 52 East Mecklenburg 6

3. Mallard Creek 46 North Mecklenburg 7

4. West Forsyth 45 R.J. Reynolds 14

5. Vance 36 Lake Norman 6

6. East Forsyth 38 (12) Reagan 26

7. Leesville Road 41 Southeast Raleigh 6

8. Cardinal Gibbons 51 Broughton 14

9. Scotland 30 (18) Pinecrest 20

10. Butler 31 (15) Hickory Ridge 21

11. Wake Forest 41 (13) Rolesville 20

14. Grimsley - Idle

16. Ardrey Kell 42 Berry 7

17. Jack Britt 34 (24) Hoke County 17

19. Hough 28 West Charlotte 14

20. Mooresville 41 Hopewell 14

21. South View 26 Cape Fear 20

22. Glenn 27 Davie County 24

23. New Bern 42 South Central 21

25. Porter Ridge 30 Rocky River 19

Last edited:
Is Leesville Road really that good to be ranked so high the polls? To their defense I haven't seen them in action... Schedule don't look too impressive to me.

The POLL people just can't possibly know all the teams in the state. The Country. They do a good job, but just read and enjoy. NO, Hoke does not really belong, but let them enjoy the spotlight for now... GO BUCKS. Wherever youre going. Leesville, welcome to the BIG LEAGUE. A Couple of different names. Final 8 in each league usually belong and thats sometimes might leave us scratching the old noggins. GOOD LUCK... GO RAIDERS.

I'm still trying to figure out how Max prep has Mallard Creek at the #23 spot Nationally... but 3rd in the state? This whole ranking thing is just FUBAR!
I just checked MaxPreps. They have Richmond at 62, Myers Park at 89 and Mallard Creek at 95.

That is strange. So how do you have one from Maxpreps rank Mallard Creek at 23 and another at 95? Never mind, I need to see the title of the ranking. One is a ranking and the other is a writer's poll.

This will serve as an example of what I wrote in a post in another thread. I've included my post below.

Polls and ratings aren't completely useless as many on here think. Sure, they can be overblown, but they can give an idea of the relative strengths and/or perceived strengths of teams. The NCHSAA uses Maxpreps ratings, though it's rather weird and strange how they use it.

We do need to discern the difference between a poll and a rating scale system. When you have individuals submitting votes for how they perceive a team should be ranked, that's a poll. The problem with polls is that everyone who votes hasn't seen all the teams. So, what happens is you have a ranking based on one's perception.

Whereas a rating scale based ranking, doesn't necessarily include perceptions but ratings based on a how a team has performed on the field. I believe you need input from both numbers and humans, so when I was doing my ratings, I tried to incorporate both into the ratings. I tried to downplay margin of victory, though points were awarded for it, because all kinds of factors come into play regarding margin of victory, especially at the high school level.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT