ADVERTISEMENT

Maury (VA) @ New Bern

NBBears20124ACHAMPS

Jul 8, 2013
Anybody got the low down on the Maury Commodores? They won the 2019 5A Title and looks like they're loaded again this year with D1 talent. They have a Freshman OL that is 6'8, phew!

Looking forward to a new opponent coming to The Bern this Friday night. Hopefully we can rep the State better than my Heels.

Don't know a ton about Maury. I don't believe they're on the same level as Highland Springs, but still a contender in VA 5A. Young team. I hear they had a QB transfer in that's pretty good.

Overall, I think New Bern has more talent. Midseason this is probably a close game. But this is Maury's first game, New Bern has been rolling, and they're at home. I think New Bern wins by a couple scores.

Reactions: ncjeff
Don't know a ton about Maury. I don't believe they're on the same level as Highland Springs, but still a contender in VA 5A. Young team. I hear they had a QB transfer in that's pretty good.

Overall, I think New Bern has more talent. Midseason this is probably a close game. But this is Maury's first game, New Bern has been rolling, and they're at home. I think New Bern wins by a couple scores.
HS and Maury played in the 3rd round of the playoffs last season and HS won 13-0, pretty tight game. Curious if they have gone against any option teams recently. They return 9 guys on D from last year, should be a good one. Thanks for the post.

HS and Maury played in the 3rd round of the playoffs last season and HS won 13-0, pretty tight game. Curious if they have gone against any option teams recently. They return 9 guys on D from last year, should be a good one. Thanks for the post.

Highland Springs is better than they were last year imo. They did not have a QB last year. Maury is definitely one of the top teams in VA. They have some athletes, but Highland Springs is usually the team to beat in 5A. It's also worth noting that Chambers beat them with their back-up QB. They were up 24 -7 going into the 4th which gives you a little idea re the relative strength of VA 5A.

Maury has seen the option. Pretty sure Lake Taylor runs it. So, it won't be entirely new to them. First game, coming off Covid, though, I think New Bern imposes their will in this one. Just my 2 cents.

Lots of really good fb programs in the 757. We have played Indian River (Chesapeake),Lake Taylor (Va Beach),Norview (Norfolk), and Nansemond River (Suffolk) in the last few years. Our coach tried to schedule Oscar Smith (Chesapeake) but said we weren't a good enough program respectfully. This has all the makings of a huge game.

Lots of really good fb programs in the 757. We have played Indian River (Chesapeake),Lake Taylor (Va Beach),Norview (Norfolk), and Nansemond River (Suffolk) in the last few years. Our coach tried to schedule Oscar Smith (Chesapeake) but said we weren't a good enough program respectfully. This has all the makings of a huge game.

Looking forward to it. They return 10 guys on defense so we’ll have to be sound on O. 757 has no shortage of talent, no doubt.

Reactions: UNC91
Looking forward to it. They return 10 guys on defense so we’ll have to be sound on O. 757 has no shortage of talent, no doubt.
Currituck had Hickory Va this year on their schedule. I love when we play against teams from that area. Wavy 10’s chopper always flies over the game and they cover out game on the Va news outlets. Our program is so far away from most teams in Nc that we rarely get any media coverage so when we do it’s nice. Best of luck, you will be facing a very good team in Maury. Most likely you’ll be playing the underdog role. Going to be the game of the week in eastern Nc no doubt

Currituck had Hickory Va this year on their schedule. I love when we play against teams from that area. Wavy 10’s chopper always flies over the game and they cover out game on the Va news outlets. Our program is so far away from most teams in Nc that we rarely get any media coverage so when we do it’s nice. Best of luck, you will be facing a very good team in Maury. Most likely you’ll be playing the underdog role. Going to be the game of the week in eastern Nc no doubt

Underdog? What's the spread? Va teams always ready to play from 757. NB I see winning this game. NB is loaded this year, more likely represents the east in 4a

I lived in Tidewater for about 10 years but its been a long time ago. Yes that area had alot of talent and some good teams. But for the most part the Norfolk schools were average to mediocre in football. Norfolk schools were better known for hoops. Va Beach and Chesapeake were better in football on the south side, but the best teams were from Peninsula usually Hampton, Bethel, Phoebus, warwick

Looking forward to it!
Honestly I think you guys are gonna get us y’all looking good and this game you guys played tonight is only gonna help you havelock hasn’t been able to play so they kinda look off tonight but should be a good one still i think new bern will take it by a td or 10 but I hope not but that’s what my gut telling me

Reactions: ncjeff and UNC91
Honestly I think you guys are gonna get us y’all looking good and this game you guys played tonight is only gonna help you havelock hasn’t been able to play so they kinda look off tonight but should be a good one still i think new bern will take it by a td or 10 but I hope not but that’s what my gut telling me
You never know in rivalry games. I know Havelock will be ready.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT