ADVERTISEMENT

MALLARD CREEK VS DUTCH FORK

I will give you my opinion on the play calling down the stretch. I think Hellams is thinking long term and has supreme confidence in Noller and you cant wait till the Vance game to know if the kid can make the pressure throw. You find out now.

As big and strong as they are Palmieri has figured out against the top 2 or 3 4aa teams you cant just pound it, you have to be able to make a throw or two.
When you look at the two teams from Friday the biggest difference in the two offenses was continuity. Olenchuk is a very good QB who has been in the same system for four years building chemistry with the same receivers. The are a well oiled machine and it showed.
MC on the other hand has a new QB that is experienced in the "Air Raid" system but is trying to build chemistry with his teammates who are new to the Air Raid. The thing most people don't understand about the Air Raid is how much work goes in to the receivers, not just running their routes correctly but making the same reads as the QB does pre-snap. Friday night was the 1st true work that MC has gotten against an opponent and it will be the first real film to teach the QB/receivers as to how they attack defenses together. Playing in 7v7 is good, practicing against your stellar defense is good, but nothing compares to playing against a well coached opponent.
MC's massive running game is a huge blessing as the Air Raid gets tuned up and in turn, when the Air Raid hits full stride, that running game will be every defensive coordinators nightmare.
Pick your poison!

When you look at the two teams from Friday the biggest difference in the two offenses was continuity. Olenchuk is a very good QB who has been in the same system for four years building chemistry with the same receivers. The are a well oiled machine and it showed.
MC on the other hand has a new QB that is experienced in the "Air Raid" system but is trying to build chemistry with his teammates who are new to the Air Raid. The thing most people don't understand about the Air Raid is how much work goes in to the receivers, not just running their routes correctly but making the same reads as the QB does pre-snap. Friday night was the 1st true work that MC has gotten against an opponent and it will be the first real film to teach the QB/receivers as to how they attack defenses together. Playing in 7v7 is good, practicing against your stellar defense is good, but nothing compares to playing against a well coached opponent.
MC's massive running game is a huge blessing as the Air Raid gets tuned up and in turn, when the Air Raid hits full stride, that running game will be every defensive coordinators nightmare.
Pick your poison!

What he said.

The last 2 years MC has scored 50 on average to mediocre teams by just being more physical and being able to throw it when we were up by 35. However, when you look at the offensive production against Page, WF, Vance and a healthy Hough defense the yards and points drop off a cliff.

Far to easy to scheme against and if you have the big bodies you loaded the box and dared us to throw. Our defense won some of those games but it's hard to win against great teams having to play perfect defense for 4 quarters.

You have to be able to get LBs and safeties in a back pedal or it really is hard to go 80 yards on good teams.

Reactions: Chopper747
Pick your poison!
Mic Drop!

Pick your poison!

I thought the timing with MC QB and receivers was solid. A couple of seam patterns and some nice sideline patterns. As teams are forced to walk LBers up I would like to see them continue to work more slants and seam routes in.

One thing where receivers and QBs have an advantage with the practice rules as compared to linemen is the use of 7 on 7. Not the same as a game but gets them ahead of other position a bit quicker.

MC 1st scrimmage they played 90% back ups. They were looking to give the starters all the reps during the 2nd scrimmage against East Forsyth. It was cancelled. So the DF game ended up being their 1st trial run. As a coaching staff they had no ideal on who could do what. It was trial and error for 3 1/2 quarters.

I thought the timing with MC QB and receivers was solid. A couple of seam patterns and some nice sideline patterns. As teams are forced to walk LBers up I would like to see them continue to work more slants and seam routes in.

One thing where receivers and QBs have an advantage with the practice rules as compared to linemen is the use of 7 on 7. Not the same as a game but gets them ahead of other position a bit quicker.
The QB and receivers had a solid game Friday night and the timing was great. The Air Raid relies heavily on attacking weak spots in coverage. When everyone is on the same page and the go to receiver knows when to automatically change their route from vertical, post, or quick slant for example then this offense will hit a new stride. You don't learn this in 7v7's because defenses don't line up correctly for the most part. It's the little things. Plenty of coaching to be done from last Friday's film.
Trust me! I'm excited!!

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
The QB and receivers had a solid game Friday night and the timing was great. The Air Raid relies heavily on attacking weak spots in coverage. When everyone is on the same page and the go to receiver knows when to automatically change their route from vertical, post, or quick slant for example then this offense will hit a new stride. You don't learn this in 7v7's because defenses don't line up correctly for the most part. It's the little things. Plenty of coaching to be done from last Friday's film.
Trust me! I'm excited!!

Me too....lol

Let me put this in simple terms

I don’t think I was talking about the coaches not knowing what is most important. I am even on record for commenting about the specific tenure and culture of Knotts and Palmeri as the main reason for their success. My background does provide some insight for how most coaches think. I think others that are measuring them might be leaning more to the inflated side of an ego when they think having a program measuring stick is who college coaches come to see first. This is my opinion and those who believe otherwise are certainly suspect for having two much ego on the wrong side of fandom.

Most good coaches are selfless but fandom can register the meter incorrectly.

Blue I appreciate your comments..

Nepsy for the record and this is coach speak.... you're ability is only exceeded by your humility. I understand it is impossible for your to talk down to anyone. Simply impossible it seems. You can take those two comments as the decorum you have earned. I did not call anyone within a program anything but made a comment about a general concept of some having misplaced priorities.

I don’t think I was talking about the coaches not knowing what is most important. I am even on record for commenting about the specific tenure and culture of Knotts and Palmeri as the main reason for their success. My background does provide some insight for how most coaches think. I think others that are measuring them might be leaning more to the inflated side of an ego when they think having a program measuring stick is who college coaches come to see first. This is my opinion and those who believe otherwise are certainly suspect for having two much ego on the wrong side of fandom.

Nepsy for the record and this is coach speak.... you're ability is only exceeded by your humility. I understand it is impossible for your to talk down to anyone. Simply impossible it seems. You can take those two comments as the decorum you have earned. I did not call anyone within a program anything but made a comment about a general concept of some having misplaced priorities.

The semantics are not working here. Now you're skating, but you're welcome!

Last edited:

My background provides me with some insight into ego and its role in leadership. I see the positive development of young people as a great metric for measuring a program and the fact that many college coaches make Mallard Creek a must stop validates it in my mind.

You equate that to simple fandom behavior and to a degree you might be correct. I cant imagine being a fan of any program that I couldnt be proud of. That includes Charlotte Catholic.

My background provides me with some insight into ego and its role in leadership. I see the positive development of young people as a great metric for measuring a program and the fact that many college coaches make Mallard Creek a must stop validates it in my mind.

You equate that to simple fandom behavior and to a degree you might be correct. I cant imagine being a fan of any program that I couldnt be proud of. That includes Charlotte Catholic.
I will say BG22 is one of the more knowledgeable posters on this board not just about MC, but about football all across the country.

The ego part of your hypothesis would have to be validated by the personal interaction you would have with these Coaches and not a media and fan board driven narrative. College Coaches are not fans they are looking for players who can help them win ballgames so they can make large sums of money this is there main objective then comes mentoring, building young men etc... HS Coaches especially in NC yes have some ego and these two sure have some of that but let me tell you Palmieri is not staying at MC because he is being well compensated. TK is getting PAID so you make your determination on there motives for marketing there program as a first stop it definitely only can go so far with regards to soothing ego......sounds like a little envy to me......

The continuous mischaracterization that I have somehow talked about the ego of coach in a negative is incredible. What a bunch of BS. The would be a little out of character for me. The concept was and I will state is the the ego of fans who stated the importance of being the first place a college coach would visit like that is an important metric. That is the assertion, was the assertion and I stand by the assertion. I applaud all of the back peddling some of you are doing to agree with my opinion which is the game and program is about the kids.

Each time you seem to post you seem to just keep proving my assertion.

Blue, yes coaches have egos, it drives them but they go out and produce.. Fandom does not produce and I can assure you what drives a fan abut a program is often not similar to what drives a coach. Coaches are a special breed and since I assume you know so many of them then you know how the chuckle about their fans.

The continuous mischaracterization that I have somehow talked about the ego of coach in a negative is incredible. What a bunch of BS. The would be a little out of character for me. The concept was and I will state is the the ego of fans who stated the importance of being the first place a college coach would visit like that is an important metric. That is the assertion, was the assertion and I stand by the assertion. I applaud all of the back peddling some of you are doing to agree with my opinion which is the game and program is about the kids.

Each time you seem to post you seem to just keep proving my assertion.

Blue, yes coaches have egos, it drives them but they go out and produce.. Fandom does not produce and I can assure you what drives a fan abut a program is often not similar to what drives a coach. Coaches are a special breed and since I assume you know so many of them then you know how the chuckle about their fans.

AMAZING! :) Talk about pompous! SMH!

Last edited:
Ron hoff who was at dutch fork is killing it tonight for katy Texas. 214 yards. Would have love to see him against the Creek. They beat north shore and he was player of the game. Kid is just tough.

Reactions: nepsy7
Ron hoff who was at dutch fork is killing it tonight for katy Texas. 214 yards. Would have love to see him against the Creek. They beat north shore and he was player of the game. Kid is just tough.

Glad he stayed in TX......the new Tyler Rose

I would have loved to have seen Quesean Holmes at RB for the Creek and Trenton Simpson play LB/DE against DF it would have been very interesting.

I would have loved to have seen Quesean Holmes at RB for the Creek and Trenton Simpson play LB/DE against DF it would have been very interesting.

I think Simpson playing RB was a key in MC's success. Sure he came off the field at LB but his running style and size seemed to be the key in dictating the game and was better for MC than the other offensive options would have been.

Hoff has impressed me since his freshman season. Great vision and patience.

I think Simpson playing RB was a key in MC's success. Sure he came off the field at LB but his running style and size seemed to be the key in dictating the game and was better for MC than the other offensive options would have been.

Quasean Holmes is just a terror. He's 5'10 & 205lb fast & powerful runner. Although Trent Simpson is a load. Holmes has more speed and quick twitch muscles working for hm. He's more of a threat of taking it to the house every touch. Putting Simpson on Defense full time takes the team to another dimension.

Reactions: kalefah1
Quasean Holmes is just a terror. He's 5'10 & 205lb fast & powerful runner. Although Trent Simpson is a load. Holmes has more speed and quick twitch muscles working for hm. He's more of a threat of taking it to the house every touch. Putting Simpson on Defense full time takes the team to another dimension.

The load was the difference in my opinion. They were able to hem him up a lot but not pull him down very easily.

I would continue to use Simpson some on offense for a nice change of pace.

Last edited:
One last thing. I know Hiatt for DF had a good game with 3 TDs. But to me I'm not seeing him doing too well at Tennessee. Doesn't have the size or speed. His success is because of Knotts passing genius. Several other of Knotts receivers put up outrageous stats while playing under Knotts but didn't do well in college. It's all because of Knotts genius in the passing game. I feel he makes his receivers and QBs better.

Man you may need to get your eyes checked if you don’t think he will succeed at UT.

Man you may need to get your eyes checked if you don’t think he will succeed at UT.

Totally agree. I have seen two things the last two years for me that I have never seen. Zeus RB at Scotland County the best HS RB I have ever seen live. Hyatt the best tracker of a football in the air that I have ever seen. He will put on weight and with that skill will be all SEC and play in the league.

Long time reader. I usually just sit back and read and let people have their opinions, but when it ranges on stupidity, it's hard NOT to say anything.
Hyatt not fast? You do know that he ran a 4.31 LASER at Nike Opening right? Not hand timed like everybody's kid usually post. LASER. I saw on twitter that they actually clocked him at 4.27 LASER and the Opening didn't want to post that first time because no one would believe it, so they made him run again.

He's been doing this since he was in HS! He was snagging over SEC and ACC DBs in the 10th grade when he was not even 150lbs.

I looked up on the internet at official track times, and he runs a 10.4 100 in his first year of running track. Not fast? Oregon offered him in TRACK and Football. Come on man.

He doesn't have to be 200lb with that speed. You do know that 1 WR was taken in the 1st round of the draft this year...he was 165 lbs soaking wet. 160 while he played that season. He's gonna get bigger..wait till you see him at even 180 lbs with that speed.
I've never met the kid, but I have talked with his father. He's 6-5, 225. The kid will get bigger. And from looking at his twitter, he has a freshman brother that already has 3 offers from OR, TN and VT. He's already 6-1 165 and was one of the fastest 8th graders in nation last year.

Totally agree. I have seen two things the last two years for me that I have never seen. Zeus RB at Scotland County the best HS RB I have ever seen live. Hyatt the best tracker of a football in the air that I have ever seen. He will put on weight and with that skill will be all SEC and play in the league.

Kid has been coached at a very high level. Technique wise he is far ahead of the curve for a HS kid.

Guys I have admitted I was wrong about the speed of Hiatt. This was the only time I've seen him and all the balls he caught were in the end zone. Did not get a chance to see him run after catch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT